PDA

View Full Version : Lotus verdict

N4D13
26th May 2011, 22:49
Sorry for opening a new thread about this, but I couldn't find the old one about the Lotus court case.

The verdict for the Lotus case is due to come on Friday (that's tomorrow for me). I would hope we could end up with all the cr@p about this and have just a single Lotus team on the grid - and hopefully, that would be Team Lotus!

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91754

The Black Knight
26th May 2011, 22:55
About time. Hopefully then this whole bull**** fiasco will be laid to rest.

Rubbish like this is an embarrasment for F1.

V11
26th May 2011, 23:03
good to get it out of the way, ridiculous that it developed in the first place

Robinho
27th May 2011, 10:50
i fear that we will get a judgement that allows Team Lotus to continue, and obviously Group Lotus are more than entitleed to sponsor a team, and we'll carry on with 2 Lotii(?) (Alan Partridge time) teams, although after a few odd weeks at the start of the season, everyone calls Renault, "Renault" anyway.

Big Ben
27th May 2011, 14:54
I have no problem with having 2 Lotii. None of them is the real Lotus anyway

The Black Knight
27th May 2011, 15:13
I have no problem with having 2 Lotii. None of them is the real Lotus anyway

And you were absolutely right ha!

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/49924.html

Koz
27th May 2011, 15:13
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27052011/2/court-recognises-both-positions-f1-lotus-row.html

Meh. Two Lotii.

Hawkmoon
27th May 2011, 15:45
Typical legal bull****. They both win. :dozey:

billiaml
27th May 2011, 18:39

It certainly is.

BDunnell
27th May 2011, 18:54
But, in a sense, bull**** that represents the only sensible outcome given the mess that already existed, and which I never thought should have been the job of a court to sort out.

AndyL
27th May 2011, 19:02

Both their lawyers win, at least.

jens
27th May 2011, 20:03
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Renault-team-in-financial-trouble-report,24005.html

I don't know, how close to reality this story is, but one thing caught my eye...

"In the paddock there are rumours that Renault must go with Cosworth engines next year, if the bills are not paid to Renault. And the French company is looking for another customer. Why not Williams?"

Renault-Cosworth? :laugh:

ioan
27th May 2011, 20:09
Same old, same old. Why am I not surprised?

Don Capps
27th May 2011, 20:09
The plural of Lotus is "Lotus." The use of "Loti" is incorrect.

Sonic
27th May 2011, 20:48
Well there's a satisfying result for all involved :(

It's gonna start getting even more confusing once Group Lotus inevitably take control of Genni.

tacksharp
27th May 2011, 21:10
What a stupid ruling. Once this has been determined:

The judgement also cleared up disagreements over Group Lotus' early termination of a five-year naming licence with Team Lotus, deciding that Group Lotus was entitled to end the licence agreement. As a result it was decided that Team Lotus (then Lotus Racing) was in breach of licence by continuing as Lotus Racing, and Group Lotus has been awarded damages.

then the Lotus car company should be the only company that can use the name "Lotus" in racing. Making a distinction between "Lotus Racing" and "Team Lotus" is beyond ridiculous. Lotus sells cars around the world, and any use of the name Lotus in racing will lead the casual fan to assume that they are associated with the car company. Without a licensing agreement, how can this be allowed?

Group Lotus is getting screwed because people refer to the Lotus-Renault team as simply "Renault" to avoid confusion. So instead, the Lotus name is being associated with the crappy Team Lotus team. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/tacksharp/smilies/smilie_rolleyes.gif

yodasarmpit
27th May 2011, 23:46
Madness.

The manufacture of the road cars displaying the name Lotus should be the only one able to race under the name Lotus, unless of course that company licenses out the name for a period.

BDunnell
28th May 2011, 00:00
Making a distinction between "Lotus Racing" and "Team Lotus" is beyond ridiculous.

Well, there was always a legal/financial distinction made between the various elements of Lotus back in Chapman's days, so in a sense this is nothing new.

Group Lotus is getting screwed because people refer to the Lotus-Renault team as simply "Renault" to avoid confusion. So instead, the Lotus name is being associated with the crappy Team Lotus team.

Or because, like the new team or not, it did come before the Group Lotus tie-up with Renault.

I agree completely that this situation is absurd, that there should be only one Lotus team in F1, and that it should be the one associated with the car manufacturer. However, to me a Renault (not really Renault any more, either, let's not forget) team that happens to be sponsored by Group Lotus is not a 'proper' Lotus F1 team either, but a branding exercise to which it's equally impossible to have any sentimental attachment. So, I don't really care less about the court's decision. And, call me cynical, but I can't help feeling that this will all become academic at some point in the future as a result of Group Lotus' 'ambitious' plans for its model range.

CNR
3rd June 2011, 08:15
Dany Bahar: Lotus naming verdict to cause confusion, Group Lotus will seek clarification – Formula 1

remember teamlotus first back as lotus in 2010
grouplotus a bunch of drongos
Dany Bahar: Lotus naming verdict to cause confusion, Group Lotus will seek clarification (http://blogs.bettor.com/Dany-Bahar-Lotus-naming-verdict-to-cause-confusion,-Group-Lotus-will-seek-clarification-Formula-1-a73321)

“One of the most critical elements of this support has been assisting us in securing the funding for our future plans. I am happy to confirm that this is now all complete thanks to Proton's help and, together with Proton, we can focus on completing the five year business plan to return Group Lotus to profit,” added Bahar.

what about the buy out of renault f1 ?