PDA

View Full Version : Three strikes

Bagwan
24th May 2011, 17:12
Here's a good idea from the FIA (surprise , surprise) :

They will , if approved , give a five-place penalty to those accumulating three reprimands for driving offences .

Due to take effect after Silverstone , it will start "clean-slate" , ignoring previous offences .

This is a good idea , as a reprimand means little , it seems , at present .

UltimateDanGTR
24th May 2011, 17:15
Liking this idea actually, so reprimands actually account for something.

truefan72
24th May 2011, 17:31

They will , if approved , give a five-place penalty to those accumulating three reprimands for driving offences .

Due to take effect after Silverstone , it will start "clean-slate" , ignoring previous offences .

a reprimand is exactly that, a reprimand!
they brought drivers in, interviewed them, reviewed the data and issued reprimands accordingly

I don't need another level of FIA complexity and/or grey areas and/or potential sources of scandals
all we need is a biased steward to issue a phantom 3rd reprimand for some bogus call and a driver gets a completely unwarranted grid place penalty.

lets not have an overreaction to this latest incident

Robinho
24th May 2011, 17:32
basically a points on a licence type approach, surprisingly sensible thinking from the FIA, stops giving out harsh punishments for silly events and also means that a reprimand does actually mean something if your stupid enough to do it twice more

Mark
24th May 2011, 17:44
Sounds like a good idea but in practice it will still mean that stewards are reluctant to give a driver a third reprimand for what might be a minor offence.

Robinho
24th May 2011, 18:21
they brought drivers in, interviewed them, reviewed the data and issued reprimands accordingly

I don't need another level of FIA complexity and/or grey areas and/or potential sources of scandals
all we need is a biased steward to issue a phantom 3rd reprimand for some bogus call and a driver gets a completely unwarranted grid place penalty.

a reprimand indicates some level of rule breaking, misdemeanour, carelessness or the like, albeit maybe not intentional, or not serious enough to warrant any further punishment. get yourself caught up in three of these and your clearly not learning from the reprimands, and a more serious action is due. Don't forget that there are 3+1 stewards at every race, and despite a lot of what is written, i don't think they are biased, in fact in recent times have been more transparent. if there was 1 biased steward, there would still need to be the infringement to investigate, the others would need to agree it had taken place and that a reprimand was due.

lets not forget that most investigations do lead to some sort of sanction, usually more harsh than a reprimand, so the system won't be needed very often, but maybe it will mean less BS punishments being handed out for petty infringements, which IMO can only be a good thing

Bagwan
25th May 2011, 00:14

Ah , yes , the old "phantom third reprimand" scenario . We've seen it many times .

What the hell are you talking about ?
A guy has to be a dick on track three times just to get a five place penalty .
Maybe you think it should be five dangerous maneouvres ?

Oh , but dammit , then we'd just get the old "phantom fifth reprimand" happening all the time and it would spoil everything .

Let's not have an over-reaction to the fact that they stated this may become a rule in the near future just after a few guys were reprimanded , as it's also been stated that the slate will be cleaned of former offences before this rule takes effect .

So , even if this announcement was prompted by these latest offence sanctions , it has little more relevence than that , since they will not count towards any total .

At least this gives a little more finite rule on when further sanction will be taken for repeat offenders .
Certainly better than the FIA guys trying to look somehow sterner and more serious if a guy comes in a second time or maybe baring thier teeth and growling the third time .

Hawkmoon
25th May 2011, 05:13
So what if somebody does something bad enough to warrant a penalty but it's only their first or second offense? Do they just get a reprimand? Do they just get a penalty? Do they get both a reprimand and a penalty? If they get penalty and a reprimand does the reprimand count towards the 3 reprimand total? If so, wouldn't they be getting penalised twice for the one offense? Perhaps, because the penalty was issued on only the first or second reprimand that the reprimand count is reset?

I don't think this will work.

truefan72
25th May 2011, 06:53
So what if somebody does something bad enough to warrant a penalty but it's only their first or second offense? Do they just get a reprimand? Do they just get a penalty? Do they get both a reprimand and a penalty? If they get penalty and a reprimand does the reprimand count towards the 3 reprimand total? If so, wouldn't they be getting penalised twice for the one offense? Perhaps, because the penalty was issued on only the first or second reprimand that the reprimand count is reset?

I don't think this will work.

^^ :up:

SGWilko
25th May 2011, 10:53
One has to be careful here - can we trust the FIA to accurately count up to three? :p

steveaki13
25th May 2011, 11:05
One has to be careful here - can we trust the FIA to accurately count up to three? :p

Might depend on which drivers.

1 straight to 3 for some. For others maybe 1 to 17 before they get to 3.

The Black Knight
25th May 2011, 11:29

All a good idea if they are consistent and fair. I still don't believe that either Hamilton or Alonso deserved a reprimand for what happened in Malaysia.

steveaki13
25th May 2011, 11:40
All a good idea if they are consistent and fair. I still don't believe that either Hamilton or Alonso deserved a reprimand for what happened in Malaysia.

I agree.

I mean if someone does something which is clearly deserving of a penalty then obviously they will get a penalty. But if like in Spain, where as if it is a hard to judge offence or minor offence then a strike gets added, I suppose.

Mind you with the stewards in F1. Who knows if common sense can or will be applied.

AndyL
25th May 2011, 11:44

I'm not convinced anyone deserved a reprimand in Spain either. Ignoring yellow flags is a clear safety issue, and if the evidence showed it then surely penalties would have been handed out. I suspect the evidence was inconclusive and the reprimands were a cop-out.

The Black Knight
25th May 2011, 12:00
I agree.

I mean if someone does something which is clearly deserving of a penalty then obviously they will get a penalty. But if like in Spain, where as if it is a hard to judge offence or minor offence then a strike gets added, I suppose.

Mind you with the stewards in F1. Who knows if common sense can or will be applied.

Agreed. Spain was hard to judge and I don't believe reprimands were in order there either. It's like a penalty or a goal in soccer. The referee should never hand out either unless absolutely 100% certain. If in doubt throw it out.

I'm not convinced anyone deserved a reprimand in Spain either. Ignoring yellow flags is a clear safety issue, and if the evidence showed it then surely penalties would have been handed out. I suspect the evidence was inconclusive and the reprimands were a cop-out.

Agreed, I would say their second sector times showed that they had slowed down but were overall quicker on that lap. If the FIA are to enforce such rulings then they really need to get the cases in which they hand out reprimands sorted.

Bagwan
25th May 2011, 12:47
There will always be some who don't agree with penalties being handed out .
It may be a sanction on your favourite driver that you don't like .
It may be a situation that isn't very clear , leaving it open to interpretation .

In just about every case , there are those who think someone is getting shafted .

The FIA has brought in former race drivers to try to solve a little of the distrust in the stewarding at the tracks .

But , the fact remains , that the issuing of a reprimand is not really a penalty at all , if there are no consequences at all .
Sure , there are fine details to work out , but the idea of three strikes is still a good idea .

AndyL
25th May 2011, 14:26
But , the fact remains , that the issuing of a reprimand is not really a penalty at all , if there are no consequences at all .
Sure , there are fine details to work out , but the idea of three strikes is still a good idea .

I agree it's fundamentally a good idea. But the FIA is going to have to be more careful about handing out reprimands if they have real consequences. Right now I feel they're sometimes handed out on a whim, to give the appearance of doing something, knowing that no-one's going to bother pushing back. If reprimands have real meaning, teams are going to be more robust about fighting them.

wedge
25th May 2011, 15:54
I'd be more interested what Billy Blundell (AKA Mark Blundell) told Martin Brundle off the record.

It does make you wonder what on earth goes on in the stewards' decision making process.

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 16:00
I am concerned about the need for former drivers as expert stewards in the first place. Surely, if the existing stewards need advising, they are not up to the job?

truefan72
25th May 2011, 23:39
I am concerned about the need for former drivers as expert stewards in the first place. Surely, if the existing stewards need advising, they are not up to the job?

its perspective,

one that those former stewards severely lacked
and the best way to get it is with former drivers in there

also if it were up to me it would be a majority of former drivers and maybe one technical rule book geek as stewards
and yes if the stewards need advising they are not up to the job, as those jobs should really go to former drivers... a vicious circle lol

Mekola
26th May 2011, 04:43
But I read that only two of the three reprimands had to be caused by causes of driving conduction. Third one could be sanctioned by other reasons (e.g. coming late to drivers press conference).