PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding activation of DRS

wedge
23rd May 2011, 16:23
What happens in races with changeable conditions and precipitation (light rain for instance)?

I'm assuming its down to race control to decide to activate/re-activate?

Mark
23rd May 2011, 16:25
Yes, it's up to race control as far as I know.

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 16:42
As soon as race control declare a wet race, DRS cannot be used.

Robinho
23rd May 2011, 16:45
i think i saw that as soon as one car is on anything other than slicks DRS is disabled, that was certainly the case in a practice/qually session earlier in the year, assume the same would apply in a race

steveaki13
23rd May 2011, 18:23
Could be a tricky point in between when rain is falling and making the surface greasy. Could see a few spins.

Big Ben
24th May 2011, 08:31
A question that proves once more why this was an idiotic idea. They can use all they want in fp and qualy but not in the tunnel. They can't use it in the first x laps of the race. They can use on some parts of the track but only... you can't use if... they can't use it in wet. it's all ifs and buts. could it be any more artificial than that?

wedge
25th May 2011, 15:57
And what if we go to a track with 2 DRS zones, one zone dry and the other affected by precipitation?

AndyL
25th May 2011, 16:54
And what if we go to a track with 2 DRS zones, one zone dry and the other affected by precipitation?

DRS is supposed to be turned off if there's rain anywhere on the circuit, not just in the DRS zone.

Robinho
25th May 2011, 17:13
one thing that bothered me during the Spanish race, was when there were 2 cars fighting for position (i think Button behind maybe MS) and they came across a backmarker. MS was within the 1 sec of the backmarker in the detection zone, and Button the same behind MS and was much quicker at that stage (newer tyres). the backmarker then pulled into the pits but MS still gt the benefit of the DRS all the way down the straight despite there being no car ahead of him, and even then it would only have been a backmarker. As a result Button's DRS was useless. He did pass later on the same lap, but it just highlighted an inconsistency for me. If the car behind passes the car in front between the detection zone and the DRS zone the system should be disabled again IMO

steveaki13
25th May 2011, 23:38
one thing that bothered me during the Spanish race, was when there were 2 cars fighting for position (i think Button behind maybe MS) and they came across a backmarker. MS was within the 1 sec of the backmarker in the detection zone, and Button the same behind MS and was much quicker at that stage (newer tyres). the backmarker then pulled into the pits but MS still gt the benefit of the DRS all the way down the straight despite there being no car ahead of him, and even then it would only have been a backmarker. As a result Button's DRS was useless. He did pass later on the same lap, but it just highlighted an inconsistency for me. If the car behind passes the car in front between the detection zone and the DRS zone the system should be disabled again IMO

I spotted that too.

It happen a couple of times. I forget who it was but Di Resta hadn't stopped and so was ahead of a couple of faster cars and he pitted and again, with no car ahead someone used DRS down the straight.

The rule as of now says DRS will activate whether it be a battle for position, a backmarker to be lapped or even a lapped car behind a leader.

One of the issues that needs resolving me thinks.