PDA

View Full Version : Meaningless car names

Rudy Tamasz
23rd May 2011, 07:55
Just a Monday morning rant. When I was going to work I spotted a van named Opel Sintra. For some reason it started a storm of negativity inside of me. What the hell does this word "sintra" mean? Is it related in any way to Meriva, Zafira, Elantra and other obscure car names? If it is, what do they mean, then? Are they aliens from the sky? Are they a secret clan of thugs names in such a way as to recognize each other in the crowd? What's the deal with all these names that I can't decipher the meaning of?

P.S. Chevy Captiva beats all of them. Chevy marketing department folks must have come up with it while doing hair of the dog after a heavy hangover. Does the name mean the car is a captive? Or the driver is a captive of his car? Or the driver will hold his passengers captive once theey get in?

Stupid...

Di Rishta
23rd May 2011, 08:25
We heard of Nissan Sentra, by the same way Opel Sintra sounds good on me. As for Chevy Captiva I agree with your last reason, the driver will hold his passengers captive once theey get in. The car captivates everyone, or else the driver inside has strong captivation: ability to attract and hold by charm, beauty, or excellence... About car names, I doubt people in this forum are keen on Honda Freed.

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 10:23
What the hell does this word "sintra" mean?
Famous singer. Best know for singing My Wy and New Ykr New Yrk.

MrJan
23rd May 2011, 10:38
Most car names are rubbish, the better ones are those that clearly relate to something, like Aston Martin with the DB4/5/6 etc. And call me biased but MR2 makes good sense too.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd May 2011, 10:41
See apostraphe D

Rollo
23rd May 2011, 11:00
Most car names are rubbish, the better ones are those that clearly relate to something, like Aston Martin with the DB4/5/6 etc. And call me biased but MR2 makes good sense too.

MR2 in French would em-er-deux, which sounds like "merde". For French speaking markerts they were called Coupe MR.

MrJan
23rd May 2011, 11:07
MR2 in French would em-er-deux, which sounds like "merde". For French speaking markerts they were called Coupe MR.

I'm not French though :p :

Rudy Tamasz
23rd May 2011, 12:15
Famous singer. Best know for singing My Wy and New Ykr New Yrk.

This is hilarious. :) My wife drives Suzuki SX4. What do you think it means then? ;)

Mark
23rd May 2011, 12:35
Or the Mitsubishi FQ ?

wedge
23rd May 2011, 13:58
Numbers & letters (A1, A2, A3; 1 series, 3 series, 5 series; et al) are a cop out!

MrJan
23rd May 2011, 14:30
Numbers & letters (A1, A2, A3; 1 series, 3 series, 5 series; et al) are a cop out!

At least they make sense. With a 318i you know it's a mid-sized car with a 1.8l engine, with a 728 you know it's a large car with a 2.8 etc.

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 14:38
At least they make sense. With a 318i you know it's a mid-sized car with a 1.8l engine, with a 728 you know it's a large car with a 2.8 etc.

What about a Saab 95 or a Mini One? :p

Sonic
23rd May 2011, 14:41

Not always true tho is it. I believe BMW used 316 for a time, but unless I'm wrong it had a 1.8 under the hood.

billiaml
23rd May 2011, 16:08
I know what you mean about meaningless car names. Well, they'r meaningless to us but, to some marketing "geniuses" -- and possibly a handful of people in "focus groups." Then they add to it by adding extra letters after the names.

What was the e-mail circulating around a few years ago? DX = "Dealer Exaggerated." DL = "Dealer Lied."

@Rudy -- Does that mean your wife's Suzuki is big enough for 4 people to,.... Oh yeah, this is a car, right? I'm still more used to associating Suzuki with motorcycles.

Daniel
23rd May 2011, 17:23
Not always true tho is it. I believe BMW used 316 for a time, but unless I'm wrong it had a 1.8 under the hood.

And the 318 of that vintage had a 2.0 engine. Personally I like models with numbers :p In fact I've never owned a car with a name!

I've owned a Fiat 131, Peugeot 504, Peugeot 406 and a Fiat 500 :p

billiaml
23rd May 2011, 17:28
It would be interesting to compare the names manufacturers give their cars with the ones that people who drive them actually call them. Of course, many of them probably wouldn't be appropriate for this forum.

Sonic
23rd May 2011, 19:07
It would be interesting to compare the names manufacturers give their cars with the ones that people who drive them actually call them. Of course, many of them probably wouldn't be appropriate for this forum.

I normally name my cars based on the first letter of the name given to it by the manufactures. So for example I currently have Maddie Mito, and previously owned Charlie the Citroen, Matilda the Micra, Freddie the Focus and so on.

Iain
23rd May 2011, 21:04
Just a Monday morning rant. When I was going to work I spotted a van named Opel Sintra. For some reason it started a storm of negativity inside of me. What the hell does this word "sintra" mean?

It's a town in Portugal I believe. :)

Most Japanese domestic market vehicles have strange names. The Nissan Cedric for example. That's like calling a car the Vauxhall Keith.

Alex Langheck
23rd May 2011, 21:34
People on a Motorsport forum not knowing about Sintra - it's quite infamous. 1986 Rallye Portugal.....RS200 Joaquim Santos...

Lousada
23rd May 2011, 22:22
Seat has the best names. (Almost) all named after places in Spain: Ibiza, Leon, Cordoba, Toledo and so on.

Rudy Tamasz
24th May 2011, 07:17

Okay, okay, I'm coming out. ;) I acctually call my wife's car Suzuki Sex. She calls it Suzuka for some reason. Junior calls it Lightning Suzuki as a reference to Lightning McQueen.

bluegem280
24th May 2011, 08:10
I know what you mean about meaningless car names. Well, they'r meaningless to us but, to some marketing "geniuses" -- and possibly a handful of people in "focus groups." Then they add to it by adding extra letters after the names.

What was the e-mail circulating around a few years ago? DX = "Dealer Exaggerated." DL = "Dealer Lied."

DA = "Dealer Adored".. Toyota has used all these names, Corolla DX, Corona DL..

Agree, this is part of marketing strategy, different segmentation needs different name. Nissan names some of their cars very simple and ear-catching like Pulsar, Sunny, Cedric, Micra, March. While they also create fantastic name for Skyline, besides their luxury division Infiniti.

bowler
24th May 2011, 09:19
Mazda Proceed Marvie appeals :-)

52Paddy
24th May 2011, 11:06
Names don't have to make sense though, do they? I mean, what's more important to the marketing crew is that it is a name that sticks. I'm pretty sure Rudy won't forget the name Sintra any time soon - even if this is for a negative reason, you still remember the car so, in my opinion, the name could be considered a success.

I like compact names which 'suit' the car, if such a thing can be said. Renault have come up with some good ones: Clio, Mégane, Laguna, Scenic, Fuego, Chamade (19) though, it must be said, previously they had a huge range of cars based on a numbering system which I still don't fully understand. I reckon it's just based on size but there are some grey areas along the numbering line if that is the case.

driveace
24th May 2011, 11:18
OR they get names given by dealers and punters alike,such as "Landcrab" or "Wedge" or "Grandads"

MattL
24th May 2011, 22:34
One of the difficulties with car names is that they have to work in different markets. Vauxhall used to use different names to GM's European brand Opel, but abandoned that strategy years ago. Move from model level to trim level and things can get even stranger!

JackSparrow
24th May 2011, 23:54
Chevy Celebrity*

*most certainly you won't feel like a rock star

Rollo
25th May 2011, 04:50
The Mazda Bongo Friendee van ranks up there as does the Mitsubishi Space Wagon and the Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear.

But I think that the winner goes to the: Isuzu Giga 20 Light Dump.

Captain VXR
25th May 2011, 16:48
I love my Honda Life Step Van on GT5 even if it looks like a brick and has all the sportiness of Dawn French
Spanish speakers will love the Mitsubishi Pajero

edv
25th May 2011, 17:59
I had thought that the word 'Nubira' always sounded kind of like some exotic vixen...but that vision is now forever violated by that Daewoo P.O.S.

One of the more 'apt' names for a car that I've owned is the 'Gremlin'

As for pet nicknames for cars I've owned:
-'Yellow Pig" - a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere
-"Yellow Piglet" - a 1968 Datsun 510 4door
-"Green Monster" - a 1968 Dodge Charger
-"Red Rocket" - a 1993 Mazda RX-7

Di Rishta
27th May 2011, 05:01
DA = "Dealer Adored".. Toyota has used all these names, Corolla DX, Corona DL..

Agree, this is part of marketing strategy, different segmentation needs different name. Nissan names some of their cars very simple and ear-catching like Pulsar, Sunny, Cedric, Micra, March. While they also create fantastic name for Skyline, besides their luxury division Infiniti.

Agree, Pulsar sounds weird for me, but in some regions it could be a familiar name. Unfortunately its production discontinued, the nicest car name I vote for Citroen Diana..

Where on this earth can I find cars named DA? you're obsessed, too much watching Kajol. ;)

dabapro
27th May 2011, 08:52
Citroen Diana, a classic car, its' so nice

billiaml
27th May 2011, 19:42
It's not just cars, though. I remember one of my neighbors having a pop-up camper called a "Nimrod." And where I come from, that's a euphemism for "idiot." Which is funny because it was appropriate.

ioan
27th May 2011, 21:35
At least they make sense. With a 318i you know it's a mid-sized car with a 1.8l engine...

Not exactly. For example the BMW 316d, 318d and 320d all share the same 2 liter engine, it's just the power output (and the consumption) that differs being electronically regulated.

Zico
28th May 2011, 18:34
There are just so many!

Daihatsu Naked, Toyota Deliboy, Suzuki Mighty Boy... and I thought Ford would have known better than the Probe :/

Daniel
28th May 2011, 18:37
There are just so many!

Daihatsu Naked, Toyota Deliboy, Suzuki Mighty Boy... and I thought Ford would have known better than the Probe :/

I think the Kuga is a stupid name.

Arjuna
1st July 2011, 04:13
Agree, Pulsar sounds weird for me, but in some regions it could be a familiar name. Unfortunately its production discontinued, the nicest car name I vote for Citroen Diana..

Where on this earth can I find cars named DA? you're obsessed, too much watching Kajol. ;)
I think he's right Toyota used it all, Toyota DA a car he adored at, try google ;)

bluegem280
1st July 2011, 07:02
it's not more than only a name that I like, end of story. :)

555-04Q2
1st July 2011, 14:11
Or the Mitsubishi FQ ?

It stands for Fu@k!ng Quick ;)

slinkster
1st July 2011, 19:01
There are just so many!

Daihatsu Naked, Toyota Deliboy, Suzuki Mighty Boy...

I hadn't heard of these but they made me giggle... I'd love to drive a Daihatsu Naked... hilarious.

My sister recently showed me a picture on facebook of the REVENTON??. Nice looking car. CRAP name.

Bob Riebe
1st July 2011, 19:38
It's not just cars, though. I remember one of my neighbors having a pop-up camper called a "Nimrod." And where I come from, that's a euphemism for "idiot." Which is funny because it was appropriate.
I have never figured out how that euphemism ever came about as to use Nimrod to signify an idiot, could only be the work of an ignorant dork who had no idea what the term was referring to.

NO, this is not pointing fingers at you.

Beyond that, the Japanese have a very different attitude towards naming items than the U.S.

I saw a good drama where a good/bad guy teams with a cop to kill truly bad guys.
The good/bad guys nick-name was--- MickeyMouse.

The movies had subtitles, but as the good/bad guy dies to save the cop, the cop is crying out-- "MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE... as his friend is dying.

I have a feeling if the brothers from the Italian Trinity westerns had been made in Japan, instead of being called Trinity and Bambino, it would have been Donald Duck and Goofy.

MrJan
2nd July 2011, 12:34
Beyond that, the Japanese have a very different attitude towards naming items than the U.S.

I saw a good drama where a good/bad guy teams with a cop to kill truly bad guys.
The good/bad guys nick-name was--- MickeyMouse.

The movies had subtitles, but as the good/bad guy dies to save the cop, the cop is crying out-- "MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE... as his friend is dying.

Could be a case of lost in translation. There's a French film called La Haine (very good film, worth watching) that has a bit part character who, in one version I've seen, is subtitled as being called something like Mickey Mouse or Daffy Duck (can't actually remember which). However in the version I originally saw the subtitles (and, indeed, the audio) he's called Asterix, which makes much more sense.

wmcot
10th July 2011, 06:55
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Smart For 2 which is neither smart to drive on public roads and 2 people probably exceed the maximum carrying weight limit...

Then there is Toyota's Corolla CE, Camry CE, etc. which has to mean "cheap edition" since these are really stripped down on their options.

And who can forget the old joke about the Chevrolet Nova which in Spanish means "won't go."

ioan
10th July 2011, 19:59
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Smart For 2 which is neither smart to drive on public roads and 2 people probably exceed the maximum carrying weight limit...

That's because the Smart For 2 is a great small car. I did rent one on a few occasions and let me tell you it is impressively good. Enough space for 2 adults and their luggage for 1 week, very good road dynamics. Very stable at high speed, you can drive it fast through bends, and it has impressive braking power. And you never get a negative impression while driving it.

Donney
11th July 2011, 10:14
And talking about Spanish markets, there's the Mitsubishi Pajero, named after some sort of wild cat in La Pampa ( I think) but in Spain Pajero means ****er....

tfp
11th July 2011, 11:55
And talking about Spanish markets, there's the Mitsubishi Pajero, named after some sort of wild cat in La Pampa ( I think) but in Spain Pajero means ****er....

:rotflmao:

Mekola
19th July 2011, 00:47
Chevy Nova sounds not so good in Spanish-speaking countries... Soulds alike "Chevy no go".