PDA

View Full Version : Charlie

Marbles
16th May 2011, 00:45
Charlie Kimball has some decent credentials as a racer and has shown some speed this season. However, at this level, the most notable thing about him thus far, is that he's an insulin dependent, Type 1 Diabetic... and that is actually something of note. Diabetes is a disease with no cure and it's risk and implications both short term and long term -- especially with the risk of injury -- are endless.

A real time glucose monitor (a huge medical advance) keeps track of his blood sugar. He has no sidelines, bench or dugout to take a break so this is a must.

Can he join an extremely small and elite group of high performing diabetic athletes such as the legendary Bobby Clarke of the Flyers and Chicago Bear quarterback Jay Cutler? I hope so.

Go Charlie!

Mark in Oshawa
16th May 2011, 06:13
Good luck Charlie, and I hope his blood sugar doesn't go goofy on him during the race.....

dataman1
16th May 2011, 13:56
Technology is available and used on many patients to administer insulin via a pump. They are small, battery operated and could be fitted into a pocket within his racing suit but it would require placement of a line someplace into his body. I wish him all the best to beat the stigma of being "disabled". Go Charlie!

dataman1
23rd May 2011, 14:39
FYI, During Charlies qualification run the versus announce team circled the glucose meter device attached to his steering wheel.

Sateryn76
23rd May 2011, 17:31
Charlie Kimball has some decent credentials as a racer and has shown some speed this season. However, at this level, the most notable thing about him thus far, is that he's an insulin dependent, Type 1 Diabetic... and that is actually something of note. Diabetes is a disease with no cure and it's risk and implications both short term and long term -- especially with the risk of injury -- are endless.

A real time glucose monitor (a huge medical advance) keeps track of his blood sugar. He has no sidelines, bench or dugout to take a break so this is a must.

Can he join an extremely small and elite group of high performing diabetic athletes such as the legendary Bobby Clarke of the Flyers and Chicago Bear quarterback Jay Cutler? I hope so.

Go Charlie!

Yuck! I wouldn't saddle poor Kimble with a comparison to Jay Culter! ;)

But, yes, I hope he does well. His biggest problem would be a bad injury, since diabetes have circulation and healing issues. But I'm sure his doctors have explained to him in depth, and he seems smart enough to make informed decisions.