PDA

View Full Version : 2012 car

FIAT1
10th May 2011, 21:55
Not bad, but rear bumpers I have to learn to like.

ykiki
10th May 2011, 22:00
The Eagle cars from the early 1980s had some interesting rear bodywork as well. Hopefully we'll see other mfg's produce aero kits. I'm looking forward to seeings cars that don't look identical.

Mark Pedersen
10th May 2011, 22:20
I think I like it.........................I’m sure it'll grow on me. it is progress and I love the concept of body kits around a tested safety shall.

Chamoo
10th May 2011, 22:44
This is a long way away, but I wonder if some teams will choose to run RC trim on the short ovals like Milwaukee and Loudon?

anthonyvop
10th May 2011, 22:49
Front end of the Speedway version reminds me a bit of the 1991 Ferrari 643 F1

http://www.ohioconcours.com/1999/99-084.jpg

garyshell
10th May 2011, 23:02
http://www.racer.com/2012-indycar-prototypes-revealed/article/202552/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/w49_164965.jpg

http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/a43_164901.jpg

http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/a10_164905.jpg

Gary

garyshell
10th May 2011, 23:03
http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/a21_164909.jpg

http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/jg25_164941.jpg

Gary

Mad_Hatter
10th May 2011, 23:52
The RC rearwing configuration is kinda funky. Overall it isnt so bad though...

bennybigb
11th May 2011, 00:08
Looks like a crap wagon to me. I guess it's to be expected, this is the IRL afterall.

maxmach
11th May 2011, 00:13
Well, it's better then the current version, I like it, kinda. The rear bumpers not sure about, the RC front wing sure is wide...... And all those little bits and pieces that are on the wings and sidepods, which they spend tons and tons of money and hours upon hours in the wind tunnel, they could get rid of all those as far as I am concerned. But, overall, I like it. And who know how much will really remain.

SarahFan
11th May 2011, 00:17
The first one at least looks like an indycar...

The second Is just flat rediculous looking

ykiki
11th May 2011, 00:49
Interesting that there's still an airbox on a turbocharged car...

garyshell
11th May 2011, 01:21
Looks like a crap wagon to me. I guess it's to be expected, this is the IRL afterall.

And would we have expected any less from you? They could have rolled out a DP01 with an IRL sticker on it and you would have turned up your nose.

Gary

Chris R
11th May 2011, 01:37
ouch! to paraphrase Lord Voldemort, "I confess myself disappointed" - can somebody fire the person at Dallara in charge of styling?? - please!! They seem to be able to build a decent car but it certainly is not a looker.....

NickFalzone
11th May 2011, 01:43
Hate to say this, but my first impression is that it's damn ugly, and my 2nd impression is that sections of it look kinda cool, but all together it looks like a turd. Maybe when it's on track with a bunch of different aero designs to compete with, it will look cooler.. I will give them some credit that it DOES have a bit of style to it (more than can be said for the current car), however it is not a style that appeals to me.

Edit: just realized there are two different car designs above. I'd say they are equally ugly in their own ways. Anyone else think they look like two-seaters?

Rollo
11th May 2011, 02:01
I don't care for the styling of most race cars with wings all over them and this is no exception.

However,

That little thing behind the rear wheels, I think should have been introduced across all forms of open-wheel motorsport years and years and years go.
It partly solves the problem of car jumping wheels and that is worth a lot.

NickFalzone
11th May 2011, 02:03
The only semi-cool looking part of this new car:

http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/w27_164953.jpg

anthonyvop
11th May 2011, 02:13
http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/a21_164909.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I kind of like the front half but the sidepods and rear look out of balance and really inefficient. In particular the curved fairing in front of the rear wheels. Seems to channel airflow everywhere but towards the rear wings.

Marbles
11th May 2011, 02:24
Now that's what i call a science project!

Cons: No mistaking, it's a Dallara. Sticking with the air box and not the hoop. Busy, very busy.

Pros: Nice paint job. Judging by the fins, flaps, foils and skirts protruding from this thing it looks like the aero kit battle is going to be a wide open affair and if Dallara doesn't get right then there's going to be a lot of spare parts floating around. The bumpers will prevent a lot of aerial displays.

Leo Krupe
11th May 2011, 02:28
It could grow on me, but the nose looks a little too long and narrow to me. And when I heard about the raised nose, I was afraid it was going F1 style height. At least (according to these images), they'll keep it open wheel, and not just stick fenders on.

call_me_andrew
11th May 2011, 03:12
I don't like the back of the side pods on the oval package, and I'm pretty sure the "airbox" is just an oversized engine cover which is part of the aerokit (and thus may not show up on Chevy's, Lotus', Penske's, etc).

As for the bumper: they've been crying this whole time about how they didn't want wheels to interlock, what did you think they were going to do?

EDIT: And now I've just noticed that Dallara is going back to a pushrod front suspension. Neat.

anthonyvop
11th May 2011, 04:09
Dallara makes some great cars but seems to have a problem with their IndyCar designs.

They make the GP2 car which if you saw the race from Turkey last week is a great chassis that allows lots of passing.

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/6200/6230.jpg

jimispeed
11th May 2011, 04:10
I was looking forward to a sleek flat indycar with a signature hoop, primed and ready for a turbo charged six cylinder engine! Instead I got a car looking like the revival of the IRL. Camel humps and bungholes? Not my idea of an Indycar. Turbos with bungholes? Are the designers educated about the mechanics of an engine? Highly dissapointed!!! Can't wait to here how they explain these cars!! :confused: :rolleyes:

jimispeed
11th May 2011, 06:11
Can't wait to here how they explain these cars!! :confused: :rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear......lol

Jag_Warrior
11th May 2011, 09:37
Hopefully it's got a nice personality, cause... :mark:

Too bad, as I really had high hopes for the 2012 styling.

I am evil Homer
11th May 2011, 12:06
You don't need 'bumpers' if the drivers are good enough to avoid constantly tripping over each other.

The road course version has some nice elements but it really looks like a half-baked F1 car attempt designed with one thing in mind - maximum surface area for sponsors.

evo5_mat
11th May 2011, 12:09
Must admit like others here i was actually excited about the prospects of the new cars, now im thinking they shot them in the foot again. Why spend all this time and effort to get something as pig ugly as that. When champcar moved to the DP01, yes there was retro u could say in the design but there was a huge step in modern design also, this is just Dallara designers sending out the same old stuff with a few extra curves etc and we let the public believe its a modern car.

To me its a cross between a super Gp Kart and a malibu grand prix car, lets hope the air packages are not put on hold as the pricing excuse doesnt hold with me either, they spend paying for 1 year with the dallara package while developing there own and dump the dallara after the 1 year? where the cost savings in that, and its not like Lotus etc havent got money etc after all the formula and recent purchase's they have just required?

I am evil Homer
11th May 2011, 12:44
Dallara isn't the problem....as stated their GP2 car is a great piece of machinery that offers a fantastic platform. But someone, somehwere has given them the parameters to design a new IndyCar and they are inherently flawed...it still looks bulky and simplistic with all the aero bits randomly stuck on.

Chris R
11th May 2011, 12:44
Hopefully it's got a nice personality, cause... :mark:

rotflmao

Chris R
11th May 2011, 12:51
There are many good points here... What they could/should have done is hire a specific engineer to design the core car and leave it to the chassis maker to carry out the design.... Maybe (wishful thinking) Adrian Newey could do it in the off season - his cars tend to be both highly effective and easy on the eye..... I think when you farm out the whole package to a design/build firm you get - well, this......

I know Dallara can build a solid car with excellent dynamics - but they need to get one that looks good too!! (and I am sorry, but while the GP2 car may perform very well, it is no beauty queen either - it looks pretty generic 21st century open wheeler to me) and the Indy car looks like they took the old Indycar and the GP2 and mashed the whole lot together and threw on some rear bumpers - in short it looks like a Dallara first, the solution to question poised by a bunch of lawyer second, and an Indycar third.....

Chris R
11th May 2011, 12:53
Dallara isn't the problem....as stated their GP2 car is a great piece of machinery that offers a fantastic platform. But someone, somehwere has given them the parameters to design a new IndyCar and they are inherently flawed...it still looks bulky and simplistic with all the aero bits randomly stuck on.

The current Indy car is a great piece of machinery too - it just happens to be ugly and have an unfortunate choice of engine format. Dallara builds a great car, engineers a very good car ,but doesn't seem to be able to pull off a pretty car.....

SarahFan
11th May 2011, 13:50
Wheres a deltawing when you need one

Chris R
11th May 2011, 15:08
Wheres a deltawing when you need one

no kidding - and we thought that was not the prettiest thing in the world...... at least it was simple and had smooth lines and a place to put sponsor stickers without too much trouble.....

beachgirl
11th May 2011, 16:07
The current Indy car is a great piece of machinery too - it just happens to be ugly and have an unfortunate choice of engine format. Dallara builds a great car, engineers a very good car ,but doesn't seem to be able to pull off a pretty car.....

Well, I guess the bottom line might be, do we want fast or do we want pretty? The reality might be more mutually exclusive than mutually inclusive.

To relate in human terms, if guys could have one or the other, would they prefer hot or smart?

beachbum
11th May 2011, 16:10
After reading many posts on a couple forums on the new car, I can only come to a couple conclusions

Some people would only like the car if it was a DP01 in disguise

Some people would only like the car if it looked like a Lola

Some people would only like the car if it didn't have wings / airbox / sidepods / other evil aero aids

Some people are never happy

Lousada
11th May 2011, 16:41
These are just show cars anyway. They said these were design exercises to show everybody how much could be modified with an aerokit. The actual thing won't look like this. A lot of the aero rubbish on there looks more aestetic than practical .For starters it has a useless airbox.

nigelred5
11th May 2011, 17:09
My first impression was .. well I can't type that. It certainly looks like a Dallara indycar. Is it in the indycar specs that their front end design always looks too long and low? Ther's not much getting around the shape of the cockpit with the crash specs. IIRC, they don't want the side pods right up to the sill of hte cockpit for safety reasons.

I like the long low and lean look of past lolas and such, but the Dallara is neither. I suspect they want the advertizing space the airbox provides but I'd much rather see a roll hoop and a nice tight and tidy engine cover. And the side pods almost looked reversed from conventional practice. it still looks like a dart and fails that coke bottle shap most contemporary open wheel designs follow. The rear, I actually kind of like, but then it basically looks like an LMP from behind.

I certainly like the road course car better than the updated lawn dart look of the Dallara oval configuration, especially in the side pod area. I understand the design of oval package is to enclose the rear wheels as much as possible. I like hte rear, but not hte ramps forward of the rear wheels. It seriously looks like they were trying to incorporate some of the delta wing design elements. maybe trying to move our eyes toward the delta wing design for the future.

Maybe the two could meet in the middle.

I can only hope that these are true mock ups and may actually be somewhat designed to de-rail the development of competetive aero design specs from the other rumoured aero kit suppliers. That wouldn't be unheard of in modern racing.

UltimateDanGTR
11th May 2011, 17:18
And there was me preparing to fall in love with Indy Car racing as the cars were going to look sleek and aggresive with the roll hoops and wide shoulders.

shame.

nigelred5
11th May 2011, 17:42
I think if you took the airbox and dorsal fin off of hte roadcourse car it really might not look so bad. What I am assuming is the road course car doesn't look quite so rear-weighted.

anthonyvop
11th May 2011, 18:59
Interesting that there's still an airbox on a turbocharged car...

Just because a car is turbocharged doesn't mean it doesn't need an air intake and that an Airbox wouldn't be beneficial.

http://assets6.paultan.org/static/peugeot-908-hdi-fap.jpg
http://www.carshowp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011-audi-r18-front-view.jpg
http://www.americanlemans.com/files/stories/images/Dyson_070810_main.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2011, 19:05
I think when we see it for real, it may not be as busy. IT isn't purty, but then again, cars are designed by the wind tunnel as much as they are by anything else. Any change is for the better in my opinion. I think as time goes on, we will see an evolution in the styling as teams try new packages. THAT to me is the whole point of this. Letting the car evolve.....that is what is exciting about having different options...seeing how different teams come to new ideas. That is what is MISSING right now...

turbofan
11th May 2011, 22:08
After watching cars come and go for longer than I like to think about I will give it a chance, the question I have is how in the hell do you change the back tires with the bumpers in the way? I agree better drivers less bumpers. I think they call it open wheel racing.

downtowndeco
11th May 2011, 23:32
On a 1 to 10 I'd give them about an 8. Looking forward to seeing them race.

BTW, I agree, some people are never happy. This same thing happens every year when the F1 manufacturers announce their new cars. "Ugly POS!" "Looks like a spaceship!" "Get rid of the wings!" etc. Look, if you like it watch, if you don't, don't. The quickest way to being a sure fire failure is to try & make everyone happy.

Marbles
12th May 2011, 01:17
BTW, I agree, some people are never happy.

Well, in this instance I'd have to upgrade that to "most" people are never happy. I'm still looking forward to the new stuff, aero kits (better be) for next year, engines, but it looks a bit too familiar -- especially the front, which I have never liked. To my untrained eye it looks like a bunch of stuff was pop riveted on the existing car.

Jag_Warrior
12th May 2011, 10:34
Well, I guess the bottom line might be, do we want fast or do we want pretty? The reality might be more mutually exclusive than mutually inclusive.

To relate in human terms, if guys could have one or the other, would they prefer hot or smart?

Very fair question. And I think we all have to admit that beauty measures tend to be fairly subjective - like personally, I've never found Julia Roberts the least bit attractive... but clearly others do. I'd say what most people want (whether talking about people or cars) is a proper balance between looks/smarts or looks/performance, whatever that might be to the individual. But Downtowndeco giving this puppy an 8/10 is like a guy selling someone on a blind date with his homely sister, cause he can't go out with his date unless he finds one for her too. If this thing strikes him as an 8, then the Lotus 78 must be a 50 on the 10 point scale. :D

BTW, this has been my favorite design for an Indy car for several years. To my eyes, it's simple, clean and rather elegant. It borrows almost nothing from any other series and could have (IMO) made a distinctive statement to help AOWR stand apart. But it never came to be for whatever reason. Timing maybe?
http://img149.imagevenue.com/loc151/th_59274_0Menards20Prototype20005_122_151lo.jpg (http://img149.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=59274_0Menards20Prototype20005_122_1 51lo.jpg)

wedge
12th May 2011, 13:37
Unless it becomes the Hot Wheels Indycar Series it looks laughable on first viewing but then I was brought up on normal slicks and wing design. I know some parts are for show but do those kits at least seriously work in the wind tunnel?

SarahFan
12th May 2011, 14:08
http://media.racer.com/images/2011/05/10/w49_164965.jpg

If that's an 8 I'd hate to see a 5

Chris R
12th May 2011, 16:04
On a 1 to 10 I'd give them about an 8. Looking forward to seeing them race.

To each his own - but I say it is more like a 2 or 3. I agree, they cannot try to make everyone happy - but they cannot have the majority underwhelmed by what they see.... This looks like the evolution of what has been a generally poorly received "look".... At least something like the Delta wing, while controversial, was a clear move in a different direction....

For the record, I thought the DP-01 was less than impressive as well - overall I want to see more of a "clean slate" sort of look - OR something that is clearly retro to an era well before the IRL cars.....

NickFalzone
13th May 2011, 01:11
This new design makes me think a bit more fondly of the previous 2012 car designs, including the Delta Wing. Who knows how it would drive, but at least it kinda looked cool:

http://indianapolis-photos.funcityfinder.com/files/2010/07/IMS-Museum-Delta-Wing.jpg
And another sweet design

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4292/1979arrowsa23qd5.png

jimispeed
13th May 2011, 06:19
If they would get rid of the bung hole, and get rid of the hump in the rear, AND give us an Indy signature hoop behind the drivers head, the cars might not be too bad! That front wing is pretty far forward though. That would create some mayhem!!

So designers, look at what you created........look at the DP01 or the previous Lola, or an old school pre 1994 Indycar. Meet in the middle.

Anyone good at photoshop?

Didn't people vote on what we liked about Indycars? I highly doubt we voted for these!!

Only expressing my opinion........fwiw

jimispeed
13th May 2011, 08:23
Someone on the indycarwebsite took a shot at it. Not too bad.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1774/aero3l.jpg

Chris R
13th May 2011, 13:05
Someone on the indycarwebsite took a shot at it. Not too bad.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1774/aero3l.jpg

I gotta say, such a little change makes a HUGE difference- I have never really liked airboxes - those huge things on the F-1 cars of the early 1970's ruined otherwise decent looking cars.... at least this help me seethe light at the end of the tunnel.....

NickFalzone
13th May 2011, 13:42
Not perfect, but that's a huge improvement.

maximilian
14th May 2011, 00:35
That change really IS nice. Now it looks like a nicely balanced IndyCar. Not sure the back fin is necessary either. I hope someone takes notice of this.

Leo Krupe
14th May 2011, 00:58
I like the indycar website version. The nose is shortened, but not ridiculously so, and as others have said, getting rid of the airbox makes a big difference. In fact, that's some good styling.

maximilian
14th May 2011, 01:20
Can you please post the link to that page? I can't find the sucker!! Thanks! :)

jimispeed
14th May 2011, 02:02
Can you please post the link to that page? I can't find the sucker!! Thanks! :)

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?149956-Poll-Keep-Dump-the-Airbox/page2&

Hope the link works......it's from the indycar nation forum section.

I kinda like this guys version without the airbox though.....

maximilian
14th May 2011, 02:05
http://www.anasuya.com/Image66.png
This is crudely done, but what do you guys think of it without the back fin?

NickFalzone
14th May 2011, 03:46
Slightly shortened front and rear wings:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img68m.jpghttp://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5875/img68m.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img68m.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img68m.jpg/

jimispeed
14th May 2011, 05:51
Maybe there is hope.......

Leo Krupe
14th May 2011, 15:54
http://www.anasuya.com/Image66.png
This is crudely done, but what do you guys think of it without the back fin?
As far as aesthetics goes, I'm not a fin fan, so I like it without it. However, I'm curious how much functionality does the fin provide? In other words, how necessary is it for the speeds the cars go and for performance?

In short, function trumps form in my book.

garyshell
14th May 2011, 17:10
As far as aesthetics goes, I'm not a fin fan, so I like it without it. However, I'm curious how much functionality does the fin provide? In other words, how necessary is it for the speeds the cars go and for performance?

In short, function trumps form in my book.

Does the functionality of the fin as a place for sponsors to get more exposure count?

Gary

Chris R
14th May 2011, 21:00
Ok guys, I was at the track today and I think I will have to eat some crow.... The car with the rounded side pods looks MUCH better in person. I actually really liked it - conversely the other one did not look so great... both look way better than current car in person.... Also, if u get a chance to visit speedway this month there are a ton of the former winning cara in display including everything since the mid 1950's except 1966 I think...

Leo Krupe
14th May 2011, 23:44
Does the functionality of the fin as a place for sponsors to get more exposure count?

Gary
Gary, considering the way I wrote my post, yes it does. Because strictly speaking, everything has a purpose: it may be purely decorative, but it still would have a purpose (and by that sentence, I'm not limiting this to racecars--art (paintings) can be purely decorative, and not have a "function" beyond looking pretty--but that's their purpose).

But I meant aerodynamic purpose, which of course neither you nor anyone knew that by my post. So, to drive my point into the ground, let's take my post both ways. One: the purpose of the fin is to provide more billboard space for sponsors. Two: aerodynamics. It surely would have an effect aerodynamically, and being a layman, I have no idea what that would be, so I wonder. But it of course would serve the purpose of being a billboard for sponsors.

Ergo, we're both right.

[/intellectual snobbery by using the word "ergo," which I use all too rarely.]

Mark in Oshawa
15th May 2011, 04:36
I am thinking I will warm up to this new car in a hurry. I am so bored with this Dallara we have now...

nigelred5
15th May 2011, 04:58
I hated the way the shark fins looked when they showed up in CART around what 95-96? And I still don't like the way they look now. Looks 100% better without the airbox and the dorsal fin. I'd like to see the same done to the road ourselves version. Hopefully they will be bringing both of them on the road to all the remaining races this season.

Marbles
15th May 2011, 22:45
Wow, IMHO the car looks way better without the airbox. Now it's got me wondering if it's removal is possible with another aero kit. If it is still functioning solely as way to bring air into the engine and\or compartment and has no structural component other than the roll bar then there are other ways air could be brought in. It would certainly give a distinct look to a competing kit.

I hated the way the shark fins looked when they showed up in CART around what 95-96?

I agree. I don't recall if they were outlawed or the benefit was negligible but I don't think they lasted long. The massive ones that sprung up in F1 over a decade later looked ridiculous.

nigelred5
16th May 2011, 02:03
I'm fairly certain I remember most teams that copied the fin found little real benefit. Hoop??

chuck34
16th May 2011, 17:39
I'm fairly certain I remember most teams that copied the fin found little real benefit. Hoop??

I remember that too. But now they are showing up on P1 cars to stop cars from going airborn in a spin. That sounds like a reasonable explaination, but without seeing actual wind tunnel data, who knows?

DBell
17th May 2011, 14:09
I'm trying to wait for what the cars will really look like next year before I form any opinions. Interesting what Chris R said about them looking better in person. And I'm with Mark, anything new will be a great improvement over the c-wagons we've been using

Mad_Hatter
23rd May 2011, 04:54
A couple of 2012 jobs by DanSanfy13...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/5742983801_8fe3736c14.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3457/5740346995_275cf954b7.jpg

:cool:

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd May 2011, 13:16
I would like Dallara and IndyCar to reveal images of the safety cell itself before showing artist's impressions of fantasy bodykits.

Mad_Hatter
24th May 2011, 03:44
Neither Dallara nor Indycar have anything to do with those renderings...

nigelred5
24th May 2011, 20:22
Pretty sure there are pics of the new cell floating around. To be honest. I wondered if the two mock ups aren't infact modified current Dallaras.

chuck34
25th May 2011, 12:37
Pretty sure there are pics of the new cell floating around. To be honest. I wondered if the two mock ups aren't infact modified current Dallaras.

No way those are modified current Dallaras.

Mad_Hatter
27th May 2011, 04:24
A couple of articles on the 2012 engines...

http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/43055-chevroletand-39-s-2012-program-right-on-schedule/

http://machinedesign.com/article/indy-500-racing-toward-engine-chassis-changes-0519

Interesting wordage by the Chevy guy regarding aerokits if you ask me.

call_me_andrew
27th May 2011, 06:16
Chevy's picture looks like a 90 degree V6 instead of a 60 degree. This leads me to wonder if they'll be using a splayed crankshaft and what effect that could have on longevity.

I'm getting a little worried that Lotus hasn't said how many cylinders their engine will have.

jimispeed
27th May 2011, 06:33
A couple of articles on the 2012 engines...

http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/43055-chevroletand-39-s-2012-program-right-on-schedule/

http://machinedesign.com/article/indy-500-racing-toward-engine-chassis-changes-0519

Interesting wordage by the Chevy guy regarding aerokits if you ask me.

Good info! Thanks!!

Mad_Hatter
27th May 2011, 20:08
Good info! Thanks!!

No prob jimispeed.

Ganassi commits to Honda in 2012

http://www.racer.com/ganassi-will-stick-with-honda/article/203969/

Jag_Warrior
27th May 2011, 23:34
I'm glad to now learn that what we've seen of the new car just consists of mock-ups or concept drawings. What we're seeing now may or may NOT be anything like what the finished product(s) will look like. And hopefully the aero kits will look somewhat different. It would be really nice to be able to distinguish one "brand" of race car from another (again).

anthonyvop
28th May 2011, 14:35
No prob jimispeed.

Ganassi commits to Honda in 2012

http://www.racer.com/ganassi-will-stick-with-honda/article/203969/

Ganassi/Honda Vs. Penske/Chevy.....Cool.

gparrow
28th May 2011, 14:46
I see potential with the car the only problems I have is with some of the bodywork. I have never liked the "shark fin" on any race car, and the rear wheel bumpers just don't look right, just have to wait and see what the final designs look like.

Mad_Hatter
29th May 2011, 05:07
An article on the turbos.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110527/IRL/110529845

anthonyvop
29th May 2011, 18:12
An article on the turbos.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110527/IRL/110529845

Are they deaf?

The fans demand variety and innovation and every step they make leads us to another spec series for 2012.

Mr. Mister
30th May 2011, 03:03
Are they deaf?

The fans demand variety and innovation and every step they make leads us to another spec series for 2012.

I don't fully disagree with you, but to be quite honest, I don't know that the fans are really demanding that.

Motor racing forums are. We're a small sample of the most passionate base. You don't use us to determine the direction for a sport that's going for mass appeal.

Big stories, popular personalities, and good racing presented in an enjoyable fashion is exactly what is needed, and what INDYCAR needs to be going for. They accomplished two of those three today in a series that's not fully spec by any means but, for the sake of simplicity, can be called a spec-series (and they only missed out on the latter because of ABC, not technical regulations). Had them all on Bump Day and Pole Day.

The normal fan, not even just the casual viewer, isn't going to care much about the specs for the 2012 engines. The added competition of new brands will add interest, but how different those engines are is not a concern. Most would be indifferent to "variety and innovation" unless it played out the way "variety and innovation" always do, returning us to the "glory days" when one car finished on the lead lap and all that jazz.

2012 regulations are exactly the appropriate balance as far as I can tell. Though I'm no insider racing journalist professional. ;)

garyshell
30th May 2011, 03:32
Though I'm no insider racing journalist professional. ;)

Nor do you play one on TV, unlike some folks here.

Gary

anthonyvop
30th May 2011, 20:06

Gary

No your not......That is a fact.

Mr. Mister
30th May 2011, 20:51

But I very nearly was. I had media credentials to the 2010 USGP at Homestead-Miami. I was sitting alone in the media center when I got a call that F1 was actually racing in Korea that weekend. ;)

(Alright, alright...the 2012 car, then. I'm sorry...)

garyshell
31st May 2011, 05:50
Though I'm no insider racing journalist professional. ;)

I have never claimed to be anything more than a long time avid fan.

Gary

dataman1
31st May 2011, 15:36
Back on topic: I believe that Anthony was trying to say that the league should set specifications for the turbo, gear box, engine, etc.. along with a maximum price per piece and let any one wanting to meet those specifications have a shot. Exclusive contracts with suppliers creates a spec series. I agree with him.

dataman1
31st May 2011, 15:38
All the close competition and fairy tale script of this years 500 kind of scares me. Was it enough to let Randy believe they could put of the 2012 car another year in order to get testing time on any aero packages submitted. I hope not.

Mad_Hatter
24th June 2011, 18:26
Bryan Herta Autosport and Dan Wheldon to do testing duties for Dallara.

Herta team, Wheldon named 2012 testers - IndyCar.com (http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/43377-herta-team-wheldon-named-2012-testers/)

My question: Why have only one prototype and driver for testing? To keep from paying to produce two prototypes with the same problems maybe? Does that outweigh the risk of missing problems by only having one chassis? Hoop, EagleEye any input/ possible answers?

Chris R
24th June 2011, 21:54
All the close competition and fairy tale script of this years 500 kind of scares me. Was it enough to let Randy believe they could put of the 2012 car another year in order to get testing time on any aero packages submitted. I hope not.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the ship has already sailed - there will be a new car (or more to the point, there WON'T be any more old cars.....) - I am guessing Dallara is not building any more of the current cars and has not been for a while same goes for Honda and the engines....

Bob Riebe
25th June 2011, 05:00
the league should set specifications for the turbo, gear box, engine, etc.. along with a maximum price per piece That is a spec. series and all the crap that comes with one.

So someone should tell the engine builders how much to charge-- hmmm-- they will tell who ever made the rules where to stick their head.

France was going to create a fully spec. engine for NASCAR. Detroit told him if he did they were gone and they would not allow anyone to use their names.

jimispeed
30th June 2011, 06:45
So testing begins in August with the new Honda powerplant? Get out your cameras guys! Let's try to get a shot/vid of what's to come! I wonder what it will sound like? Six cylinder twin turbo should sound pretty sweet!!

Mad_Hatter
1st July 2011, 01:22
Q and A with Bryan Herta and Dan Wheldon (http://www.racer.com/q-a-wheldon-herta-and-newey-on-2012-indycar-test-plans/article/206425/2/)

Q. I'm assuming that the testing will be done with the current V8 engine, because I don't think anybody else has got anything set up yet?

BRYAN HERTA: The testing will be with the next-generation engine. For the start of the test program it will be a Honda unit, because they'll be the first one with an engine completed and ready to do the testing phase. But certainly I think as the test program moves on, other manufacturers will get involved once we get past that August deadline.

Marbles
2nd July 2011, 15:34
Does anyone know exactly what engines are going to be used?

Indycar speaks of 'x' amount of HP for road and street and 'x' amount of HP for ovals. Are these engines going to balanced by the rules makers a la sportscars? Are we going to have varying amounts of boost , air restriction, rev limits or gearing to make it a "show"?

Has this been addressed?

call_me_andrew
2nd July 2011, 19:53
Yes and yes.

anthonyvop
2nd July 2011, 23:29
Does anyone know exactly what engines are going to be used?

Indycar speaks of 'x' amount of HP for road and street and 'x' amount of HP for ovals. Are these engines going to balanced by the rules makers a la sportscars? Are we going to have varying amounts of boost , air restriction, rev limits or gearing to make it a "show"?

Has this been addressed?

Think NASCAR/Grand-Am