PDA

View Full Version : 2012: It's never too late . . . to speculate!

keysersoze
10th May 2011, 15:49
Just for fun fellas:

Red Bull: No doubt they will retain Vettel, and I sense that Mark wants one more chance to see if he can land in a team that can outfox Adrian. That would be Renault or Mercedes. Perhaps Buemi can continue to impress and secure seat #2, but maybe they will take a peek at Senna.

Ferrari: Alonso stays and Massa, though still quick, goes. Nico, who has a history of joining teams at the wrong time, is persuaded to leave Mercedes. He will give FA a mighty intra-team battle.

McLaren: no changes

Mercedes: I see them having to start over, with Paul di Resta joining the team. With Brawn's past, I can see them acquiring multiple GP winners Massa or Webber to help bring the Scot along.

Lotus Renault: Steadily improving, Petrov stays, though I see him throwing away a couple of good results this year. Nick will leave, opening the door for a proven winner, like Massa or Mark. Senna has an outside chance.

Force India: di Resta has shown he has what it takes, and may sign with Mercedes. That almost ensures Sutil can stay, though I see a possibility at Williams. Mallya could be thinking about Senna.

Sauber: this team is happy with its current drivers, and I imagine its current drivers are happy with the team.

Williams: Pastor and his money will stay, but I think Rubens will have had enough. Lots of solid but currently unhappy drivers could compete for this seat, including Liuzzi, Sutil, Glock, Klein, Senna and Kovalainen. Buemi will prefer Red Bull but this is his next best option. Heidfeld will push to stay at Renault, but could end up here.

Toro Rosso: I think the logical will occur--Ricciardo and Alguesuari

Lotus Fernandez: Both drivers would prefer something better. Jarno forced into retirement. After outpacing Trulli, Kova will be thrown another life-line somewhere. They will be picking up another journeyman and a promising GP2 driver.

Virgin: Glock quits; Ambrosio stays; the disarray stays as well; they line up a GP2 driver (Sam Bird?)

HRT: oh dear, I'm just not that interested in this one

Dave B
10th May 2011, 16:07
From what I'm hearing there may yet be changes for 2011, never mind 2012! Nico Hulkenburg in a race seat again? Hmm...

keysersoze
10th May 2011, 16:19
In my thread title I should have said "EARLY." My bad. :rolleyes:

Oh crap, forgot about a major player in Hulkenberg. He ends up at Force India, with an outside chance at Williams (again), Red Bull and Mercedes.

ioan
10th May 2011, 17:30
And why would any team want Senna? What exactly has he proved in F1, that he's maybe as good as Chandhok?

ioan
10th May 2011, 17:33
Mercedes: I see them having to start over, with Paul di Resta joining the team. With Brawn's past, I can see them acquiring multiple GP winners Massa or Webber to help bring the Scot along.

Stability is the name of the game, so nothing will change especially now that they are getting better, finally.

Hawkmoon
11th May 2011, 05:03
Ferrari - No change. Unless a clear upgrade becomes available I can't see Maranello replacing Massa and since the only clear upgrades are all under contract elsewhere the Brazillian is safe.

Red Bull - No change. Webber is fast enough to win but not quite fast enough to trouble Vettel week in and week out. He makes a good number two because he knows he's unlikely to get a better offer. Red Bull can put up with Webber speaking his mind occaisionally.

McLaren - No change. Similar situation to Red Bull but Button is closer to Hamilton than Webber is to Vettel.

Mercedes - Rosberg's going nowhere but Schumi? Who knows? It's probably up to him but if his season doesn't get better maybe Mercedes will drop a subtle hint or two that maybe it's time to move on. Di Resta seems a logical replacement, particularly if he continues the season as he's started it.

Renault - It's all about Kubica's recovery. If he's healthy Heidfeld is out and if he isn't then I think Renault are going to want a genuine #1. They probably feel that they've produced a quick car that should be in the hands of a top driver. I think Heidfeld is basically auditioning for a job elsewhere as Petrov seems to be imrpoving and have financial support.

Williams - Two new drivers after Rubens finally gives up on waddling around the mid-field and Williams acknowledge Maldonado is useless. Who can they get? Somebody young and cheap as the top guys sadly won't consider Frank's team an option.

Sauber - No change. Kobayashi is quick and Perez looks to have potential and definitely has money behind him.

The Rest - lots of changes as a mix of veterans and rookies vie for places at the back of the grid.

CNR
11th May 2011, 09:03
Virgin: Glock quits; Ambrosio stays; the disarray stays as well; they line up a GP2 driver (Sam Bird?)

Ambrosio more then likley gone before the year is out
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/CANADA+HOPE/4759528/story.html
Robert Wickens,

Various reports out of Europe say that Robert Wickens, a 22-year-old Toronto native, is in line to take over from Virgin Racing driver Jerome d’Ambrosio.

D’Ambrosio’s spot with the F1 team is in danger because his sponsors have failed to make payments to Virgin Racing. Some reports say the team is owed as much as $5 million.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Canadian+could+line+Formula+seat/4759528/story.html#ixzz1M1qdcFIF

http://www.inautonews.com/f1-bosses-play-down-dambrosio-axe-reports
Boullier, Renault team principal and also in charge of Belgian d’Ambrosio’s management outfit Gravity, said on Tuesday that Virgin is becoming “impatient” as the 25-year-old driver’s sponsors refuse to pay up.

But in response to the subsequent reports, Virgin’s British boss Booth told La Derniere Heure that d’Ambrosio is contracted through to the end of 2011.

“Since the beginning of the season Jerome has done a fantastic job and if his contract will be respected, there is no reason to replace him,” he said.

At the same time, Boullier tempered his own claim that Virgin will “very clearly” replace d’Ambrosio if the current situation goes on.

Mark
11th May 2011, 09:10
Lotus Renault: Steadily improving, Petrov stays, though I see him throwing away a couple of good results this year. Nick will leave, opening the door for a proven winner, like Massa or Mark. Senna has an outside chance.

How quickly you forget about Robert Kubica. I'd expect Renault to run Kubica and Petrov, as it was supposed to be this year.

keysersoze
11th May 2011, 13:48
How quickly you forget about Robert Kubica. I'd expect Renault to run Kubica and Petrov, as it was supposed to be this year.

I hope he comes back, but until his doctors say so, I've left him off my list. When he gets the thumbs up, I'll happily add RK to the Renault line-up, as he should be.

keysersoze
11th May 2011, 13:50
Ambrosio more then likley gone before the year is out.

I saw that article just a couple of hours after I made my post! Oh well, his performances have suggested he could be good enough--but as we all know, the check must arrive on time!

Rollo
11th May 2011, 14:24
Red Bull: - Vettel remains but Webber is pushed out of the nest by Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari: Alonso remains and is joined by Webber.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/webber-tipped-to-leave-red-bull-to-join-alonso-at-ferrari-20110505-1ea1s.html

McLaren: No Change.

Mercedes: Rosberg and Heidfeld to return after being Pirelli's "test driver"

Renault: Petrov and Kubica to return.

Dave B
11th May 2011, 16:34
From what I'm hearing there may yet be changes for 2011, never mind 2012! Nico Hulkenburg in a race seat again? Hmm...

Finally I have a source I can actually quote, @GrandPrixDiary tweets:

French telly, TF1, reports Adrian Sutil had a fight in a Shanghai nightclub with Eric Lux, of Renault owner Genii. Nasty apparently.

If true I wonder if it will affect his career.

Dave B
11th May 2011, 16:48
Ambrosio more then likley gone before the year is out
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/CANADA+HOPE/4759528/story.html
Robert Wickens,

http://www.inautonews.com/f1-bosses-play-down-dambrosio-axe-reports
Boullier, Renault team principal and also in charge of Belgian d’Ambrosio’s management outfit Gravity, said on Tuesday that Virgin is becoming “impatient” as the 25-year-old driver’s sponsors refuse to pay up.

But in response to the subsequent reports, Virgin’s British boss Booth told La Derniere Heure that d’Ambrosio is contracted through to the end of 2011.

“Since the beginning of the season Jerome has done a fantastic job and if his contract will be respected, there is no reason to replace him,” he said.

At the same time, Boullier tempered his own claim that Virgin will “very clearly” replace d’Ambrosio if the current situation goes on.

I hear that Adrian Quaife-Hobbs is to be given some straight line testing duties, so I wonder if he could be under consideration.

Daniel
11th May 2011, 21:58
I hear that Adrian Quaife-Hobbs is to be given some straight line testing duties, so I wonder if he could be under consideration.

Any connection to Quaife, the manufacturer of diffs, gearboxes and so on?

CNR
12th May 2011, 02:28
Sutil 'glassed' F1 boss as McLaren ace celebrated Shanghai victory

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1386036/Lewis-Hamiltons-pal-Adrian-Sutil-glassed-F1-boss.html#ixzz1M669JDaB
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1386036/Lewis-Hamiltons-pal-Adrian-Sutil-glassed-F1-boss.html

N4D13
12th May 2011, 13:13
A quick fact - Buemi has trashed Alguersuari in 2011 so far. If any of the current STR drivers is to be dropped, I'd pick Jaime.

555-04Q2
12th May 2011, 13:48
No one has mentioned yet that The Shoe will win the WDC in 2012. Why?

:p :

AndyL
12th May 2011, 14:38
No one has mentioned yet that The Shoe will win the WDC in 2012. Why?

:p :

Because there's clearly no way he's going to beat JV in his Hispania :)

555-04Q2
12th May 2011, 14:45
:laugh: :up:

CNR
13th May 2011, 00:28
Barrichello Reluctant To Stay At Williams
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-rubens-barrichello-reluctant-to-stay-at-williams/

Barrichello, the most experienced driver in F1 history, told the British magazine Autosport that he could be the next high-profile departure

Koz
13th May 2011, 06:24
Barrichello Reluctant To Stay At Williams
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-rubens-barrichello-reluctant-to-stay-at-williams/

He, like Mike, should call it a day. Not because he lost his ability to drive bu rather because he will never again be in a car, Williams or otherwise, that is capable of winning - or for that matter getting on the podium.

CNR
13th May 2011, 09:20
http://f1.madeinmotorsport.com/en/headlines/news-f1-sutil-facing-court-after-eric-lux-assault-report-22804.html

Lux "has lodged a complaint and the German driver will have to explain himself in court".

Malbec
16th May 2011, 20:10
RBR: I can see Mark calling it quits or going to another team if he gets roasted by Vettel this year but there aren't any clear Red Bull junior drivers worthy of the seat. If they don't poach Massa (and I don't see it happening) the best remaining drivers are either Mercedes backed or are called Kobayashi. Could be interesting or boring depending on whether Mark stays or goes.

Mercedes: The only question is who replaces Schumi, Di Resta or Hulkenberg?

Lotus Renault: I don't see Heidfeld staying if Kubica isn't fit to drive, he's been quite inconsistent and not the steady pair of hands he was hired to be. Petrov is showing him up a little so far. I'll be interested to see who can get that lead drive, again I think Kobayashi and one of Di Resta or Hulkenberg could get a shot.

steveaki13
16th May 2011, 21:24
I would be really Interested to see Kobayashi get a chance in a race winning car.

Start him from the back every race and let the fun commence.

Ari
19th May 2011, 00:17
Red Bull: - Vettel remains but Webber is pushed out of the nest by Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari: Alonso remains and is joined by Webber.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/webber-tipped-to-leave-red-bull-to-join-alonso-at-ferrari-20110505-1ea1s.html

McLaren: No Change.

Mercedes: Rosberg and Heidfeld to return after being Pirelli's "test driver"

Renault: Petrov and Kubica to return.

Would be over the moon if that happened. It's what I've been hoping for for some months. Will wait and see!

Ari
19th May 2011, 00:19
RBR: I can see Mark calling it quits or going to another team if he gets roasted by Vettel this year but there aren't any clear Red Bull junior drivers worthy of the seat. If they don't poach Massa (and I don't see it happening) the best remaining drivers are either Mercedes backed or are called Kobayashi. Could be interesting or boring depending on whether Mark stays or goes.

Marko has already come out and said that D Ricciardo WILL have his own F1 seat next year. I guess the only question which remains is whether it's RBR or Toro and obviously negotiations with Webber will play an influence in that.

jens
23rd May 2011, 13:09
I think obviously if not in 2012, then for 2013 there are going to be some vacancies in the top teams. Webber, Massa and Schumacher will release their drives sooner or later. If Kubica doesn't recover, Renault will have to make a decision as well.

As for up-and-coming drivers, for me Kobayashi and di Resta are the first ones ready to fill in a vacant seat in a top team. Hülkenberg still needs a season in mid-field (Force India?) to prove that he has really improved on 2010 and can be consistently good in race trim. Ricciardo has to enter F1 first. Everyone keeps saying, how Daniel will surely join RBR, but he has never even raced in F1, so it would be a huge gamble. Who knows, perhaps other RBR protege Vergne is even better than him and if the Frenchman wins WSR this year (possible), then will everyone say that Vergne is a shoe-in for RBR seat? Nah, let them try it out at STR first.

In detail:
RBR - I have a growing feeling that Webber is going to continue for one more year. If he is not, RBR is in sort of a tricky situation. Neither STR driver has impressed enough for a promotion. I'd love to see Kobayashi at RBR and surely Japan would be an attractive market for the drinks company.

McLaren - possibly the best driver pairing on the grid, there is a nice balance and they work really well together. The contracts of both drivers end at the end of 2012, but if I was Whitmarsh, I'd try to secure their services for more years to come.

Ferrari - With Kubica out of the picture for the moment and Massa having a contract until the end of 2012 anyway, I don't see any clear movement for a change. Ferrari Driver Academy drivers Pérez and Bianchi have a long way to go to prove their worth. But the question remains - how much struggle can Massa afford until Domenicali thinks "enough is enough"?

Mercedes - I think in long-term di Resta is basically a shoe-in for a Mercedes seat, just the question is whether it is going to happen in 2012 or 2013. "Comeback" Schumacher is no better than a good No.2 driver, but I have to say that especially his race pace isn't that bad either.

Renault - If Kubica comes back, then he will race alongside Petrov. If Kubica does not come back, it will get a bit more interesting. If Heidfeld beats Petrov properly this year (which he seems to start doing more with each race), it will be tempting to keep him. If Petrov improves and shades Heidfeld, I think Senna or even Grosjean (especially if he wins GP2) will have a shot at the drive.

Sauber - I think both drivers will be kept unless Kobayashi moves upwards. Pérez isn't spectacular, but combined with the money he brings is good enough to deserve another chance. Reserve driver Gutiérrez is still very young and has a lot to prove in GP2, so he won't be on the picture before 2013.

STR - actually I see a possibility of both drivers getting replaced, which would see an all-new Vergne-Ricciardo line-up for 2012, who will then determine the RBR driver for 2013 in a battle among themselves. I think Ricciardo is almost surely going to join the team next year, which would be at the expense of Alguersuari based on current form. I'm unsure, what are the plans of Red Bull about Buemi v Vergne. Ricciardo didn't get promoted for 2011 either despite a very strong debut season in WSR last year...

Force India - I personally think Mallya has a di Resta-Hülkenberg line-up in mind for 2012. If Di Resta moves on to Mercedes, Sutil is likely to keep his seat unless he falls out with the team.

Williams - Barrichello is a tricky one. Unless he sees that Williams is really going to improve, he will probably leave. Maldonado stays - PDVSA money makes this sure and he hasn't been too far off Rubens' pace either. Second driver is one of the trickest guesses for 2012. Will Williams need another paydriver? In this case someone like van der Garde may have a shot, who is incidentally also having a good season in GP2. If they want another experienced "lead" driver in the mould of Rubens, the likes of Glock or Heidfeld (if Renault doesn't need him any more) may have a shot.

Lotus - Kovalainen will stay. I'm unsure, what to make of Trulli. The rest of the season will determine it both based on the speed of Lotus improvements and Trulli's own performances. But generally Lotus has young American Alexander Rossi waiting in the wings, who is having a decent season in WSR.

Marussia Virgin - the team may be completely sold to Marussia. I think they may get a completely new driver line-up with Glock getting fed up of the team. Wickens has been proposed here already, who knows about van der Garde or other GP2 drivers, who actually have some backing.

HRT - If TATA keeps its sponsorship, Karthikeyan may well keep his drive.

steveaki13
23rd May 2011, 18:13
RED BULL: Vettel and Webber
MCLAREN: Hamilton and Button
FERRARI:Alonso and Perez
MERCEDES: Rosberg and Di Resta
RENAULT:Heidfeld and Petrov (If Kubica Returns he replaces Nick Heidfeld)
SAUBER: Massa and Kobayashi
WILLIAMS: Maldonado and ? (I think Barrichello may retire as Williams are so poor this year, but if things go better and things improve he may have one more season)
TORO ROSSO: Ricciardo and ?
FORCE INDIA:Hulkenberg and Glock
LOTUS:Kovalainen and Buemi
VIRGIN:d'Ambrosio and ?
HISPANIA: Karthikeyan and ?

Mekola
26th May 2011, 04:49
It could be room for a Frenchman, Grosjean or Bianchi, for 2012.
Bianchi is better supported by Ferrari Academy, so he could land at Sauber if Pérez will go to the Scudería.

Hawkmoon
26th May 2011, 05:45
It could be room for a Frenchman, Grosjean or Bianchi, for 2012.
Bianchi is better supported by Ferrari Academy, so he could land at Sauber if Pérez will go to the Scudería.

There's no chance Perez will get a 2012 Ferrari drive based on present form.