PDA

View Full Version : Girl racers

elan 02
10th May 2011, 04:45
http://www.racer.com/pippa-manns-blog-a-step-into-the-unknown/article/202439/
Maybe one of the most high profile female driver could set her ego aside and help some of the younger lady drivers get a good start. Not to dis EB for his effort. Maybe some big money pushed there way mite help with some big results.

garyshell
10th May 2011, 04:51
What a great start and attitude. Go Pippa! I can't wait to root for her, Katherine and Simona. The Princess? Not so much.

Gary

vintage
10th May 2011, 06:24
Oh man! I was hoping we were going to have another debate about why the women racers have such fanatical followers.

Who is EB?

Why would you expect Danica to help Pippa? You don't see any of the established guys supporting the younger generation of guys. Racing is a dog eat dog, every (wo)man for themselves. Or are they supposed to go shopping for shoes and purses together? What exactly do you expect?

beachbum
10th May 2011, 11:47
Oh man! I was hoping we were going to have another debate about why the women racers have such fanatical followers.

Who is EB?

Why would you expect Danica to help Pippa? You don't see any of the established guys supporting the younger generation of guys. Racing is a dog eat dog, every (wo)man for themselves. Or are they supposed to go shopping for shoes and purses together? What exactly do you expect?Perhaps you should read the article before throwing stones.

EB is Eric Bachelart

Actually, there are plenty of stories of established racers and teams helping rookies. Maybe not financially, but certainly with advice. From personal experience, sometimes more than advice.

SoCalPVguy
10th May 2011, 15:29
Maybe one of the most high profile female driver could set her ego aside and help some of the younger lady drivers get a good start.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Howling with laughter.
Why would the princess do that ?
Why would any male driver do that?
Maybe the Miami Heat could set their ego aside and help some of the younger teams get a good start.
Maybe Roger Federer could set his ego aside and help some of the younger players get a good start by giving them tips to beat himself.
Older team mates helping younger team mates in a team sports to help the team is one thing... Racing is an individual sport.
Brother, what planet are you from ?

chuck34
10th May 2011, 16:44
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Howling with laughter.
Why would the princess do that ?
Why would any male driver do that?
Maybe the Miami Heat could set their ego aside and help some of the younger teams get a good start.
Maybe Roger Federer could set his ego aside and help some of the younger players get a good start by giving them tips to beat himself.
Older team mates helping younger team mates in a team sports to help the team is one thing... Racing is an individual sport.
Brother, what planet are you from ?

As beachbum said above, there are probably millions of examples of experienced/established drivers helping out young/inexperienced newbies. True they only help up to a point. But they do help out, or at least some do. Just because it isn't necessarily publicised too much, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know for a fact that help/advice/tips are passed down all the time.

That being said, I wouldn't expect Danica to help Pippa out. From what I've heard, Danica's personality just doesn't lend itself to doing that. Plus if I was Pippa, I wouldn't want advice from Danica. Plenty of real racers out there for that.

vintage
10th May 2011, 17:23
Perhaps you should read the article before throwing stones.

EB is Eric Bachelart

Actually, there are plenty of stories of established racers and teams helping rookies. Maybe not financially, but certainly with advice. From personal experience, sometimes more than advice.

I read the article. I didn't "throw stones", I just disagreed with your premise. Try not to be so thin-skinned.

I woiuld imagine that if Pippa and Danica were pals, Danica might give Pippa some tips. I wouild also guess that if Pippa approached Danica in a very tactful way, Danica might give her some tips. Maybe you shouldn't "throw stones" at Danica by inferring that her ego is too big for her to help!

garyshell
10th May 2011, 18:43
Maybe you shouldn't "throw stones" at Danica by inferring that her ego is too big for her to help!

I'd dare say her actions would seem to support the premise that it is.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
10th May 2011, 20:15
Maybe one of the most high profile female driver could set her ego aside and help some of the younger lady drivers get a good start. .

Another take on this: Shouldn't a younger lady driver set aside her ego and seek advice from A REAL RACER to get a good start? Is the princess the role model one would really want ?

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2011, 18:57
Pippa will get advice from lots of experienced drivers. Racers off the track often will give advice to others until of course, the mentored get as fast as the mentors!

As for Getting help from Danica, well when Danica has advice that is usuable, I am sure someone might listen if she offers. The reality is, Danica needs help from her teammates half the time for setups anyhow....who is she really gonna help?

Marbles
12th May 2011, 01:43
I love Girl Talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJIx0sN5YU&feature=related

And then I thought it may be about a Lingerie League type of thing happening. And then I realized it was about young, struggling but deserving female drivers in American open wheel, something that never gets enough attention in this forum.

I lied, it gets a disturbing amount of attention.

garyshell
12th May 2011, 04:00
I love Girl Talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJIx0sN5YU&feature=related

And then I thought it may be about a Lingerie League type of thing happening. And then I realized it was about young, struggling but deserving female drivers in American open wheel, something that never gets enough attention in this forum.

I lied, it gets a disturbing amount of attention.

Disturbing? Really? Take away the Danica ridiculousness and I'd say it's about right.

Gary

Jag_Warrior
12th May 2011, 10:45
Not trying to nitpick (really, I'm not), but why would Pippa choose only another female to get racing advice from? If Pippa wants to seek out drivers who can actually help her, IMO, she should look to drivers who have found (true) success that has nothing to do with their gender. Scott Dixon could help her. So could Helio, Dario, Kanaan and a number of others. And if she just wants to get a better feel for what it's like being a female in a male dominated sport, I would suggest she select women who have not used sex appeal to garner attention and have found great success in motorsports: Shirley Muldowney and/or Angelle Sampey.

Can anyone think of a male racer who would ask Danica Patrick for racing advice? *tick tock* Yeah, neither can I. So other than asking Danica to be a shopping buddy or maybe trading makeup tips, I don't see that The Danica would be anybody's driver of choice to ask for racing advice.

dataman1
13th May 2011, 14:51
Pipa did just fine in rookie orientation. We should wait to see how she does in traffic before assuming she needs help.

harvick#1
13th May 2011, 16:26
Pippa will get advice from lots of experienced drivers. Racers off the track often will give advice to others until of course, the mentored get as fast as the mentors!

As for Getting help from Danica, well when Danica has advice that is usuable, I am sure someone might listen if she offers. The reality is, Danica needs help from her teammates half the time for setups anyhow....who is she really gonna help?

if Pippa needs to learn how to slam block people, Danica and TK are perfect :laugh: thats about as much help Danica would give, If I was her, I'd rather jump to Sarah or Simona for help or really anyother driver in the paddock except for EJ (unless you wanna learn how to crash)