PDA

View Full Version : ALMS race in Oklahoma City?

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2011, 05:04
I saw on Speed something about ALMS going to Oklahoma City possibly by 2012 for a street race. Any one in the US have any knowledge of how serious that is?

anthonyvop
9th May 2011, 05:36
SERIES EYES SCHEDULE EXPANSION
Potential Oklahoma City race in 2013 the tip of the iceberg, hints Atherton

On the heels of OKC Motorsports' announcement of its plans to host an American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón race in Oklahoma City, Series President and CEO Scott Atherton confirmed that the street race is just a part of the Series' ongoing efforts to expand its schedule.

Targeted for 2013, a race in Oklahoma City's Adventure District would likely take place the third week in May, falling between Mother's Day and Memorial Day. The mid-May date also would give teams competing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans ample time to transport their cars to the French classic. OKC Motorsports President and CEO Mike McAuliffe, who has been instrumental in bringing drag boat racing to Oklahoma City's downtown riverfront, has indicated that next steps for the proposed race include a site inspection with ALMS officials, confirmation of the track layout and solidifying local business and political support. The Series' agreement provides for an exclusive planning period for the event with OKC Motorsports.

Even prior to a potential Oklahoma City race in 2013, Atherton hinted of growth in the series' schedule, not only in quantity, but in enhanced diversity of race markets and venues as well.

"IMSA and the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón always look for markets that would enhance the objectives of our corporate partners as well as ones that reach out to our ever-growing fan base," Atherton said. "With OKC Motorsports we have an agreement to jointly move forward for a race in 2013.

"We have also been approached by several other parties to host new events as soon as next year, both street courses and traditional road courses. Right now, even in the midst of our 2011 season, we continue to evaluate each proposed venue and are eager to expand our schedule to fans throughout North America."

The Series' last race in the country's "Central Corridor" was the Lone Star Grand Prix on the streets of Houston in 2007. That same year the ALMS held 12 races, the most in a single season during its history and tied with the 2000 season.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15781

harvick#1
9th May 2011, 06:19
the ALMS needs a better quality car count, the GT field has been solid but Prototypes are very poor this year, I really hope they can find some way in getting old and new teams come back for full season.

DavePI2
12th May 2011, 02:00
I hope this race does go through. #1 despite the problems that alms is having right now I still love to watch it. #2 I was in OKC last year for a big softball tournament and I can tell you that it is a great place to have a race. Sounds like the proposed track is in the softball complex, race track, and museum area. There is a zoo there also so it will not only make for a great race but OKC is a great tourist city also. The Brickyard area downtown is a must. Toby Keith's Bar and Grill is a great place to eat also. The best stakes you will ever get are the the Cattleman's Cafe in the Stockyard area. Oh one last thing, if you go you must see the bombing memorial. You need at least half a day there. Oh well if it sounds like I live in OKC I don't. I live in columbus, ohio.(our motto is " if you ain't lyin, you ain's tryin"). I'm not lying about okc though , fantastic place.

David

harvick#1
12th May 2011, 19:18
Autocon and Intersport are coming back soon, Autocon hoping for Mosport, and Intersport by Lime Rock. both of their Lola's are being updated so that atleast bring 4 to the table in the LMP1's for events.

DavePI2
9th June 2011, 20:44
well at least there will be at least 6 lmps for midohio it appears. I have come to the place though I am almost looking more towards the imsa lites races then alms race.