PDA

View Full Version : Return of "In season Testing" for F1?

steveaki13
8th May 2011, 23:49
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91253

It seems as though Testing for F1 teams may return even if it is only on a small scale.

What do the rest of you think Good or Bad?

Personally I think it will be good for the teams to have a few testing oppotunites in season.

Jared East
9th May 2011, 01:15
I wonder how many teams might just stick to the sims.

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 07:35
I think if the bigger teams produce a car which is sub standard, like Mclaren at the start of 2009, then testing should help them find solutions quicker than since in season testing was stopped.

Big Ben
9th May 2011, 07:49
It's a good idea. The last couple of seasons showed us just how important is to have a fast car right from the start and how difficult it is to catch up without testing.

We've only seen 4 races this year but I'm already thinking... maybe next year.

Sonic
9th May 2011, 08:04
YAY! Welcome back testing. Perhaps the only chance for most of us without deep, deep pockets to see an F1 car in action.

Mark
9th May 2011, 08:15
I think if they had maybe 2 organised tests through the season it wouldn't hurt. It's important that teams are given the opportunity to catch up.

SGWilko
9th May 2011, 10:23
I'd be all for this if it was coupled with a requirement to test new drivers, rather than allow the established drivers to pound around all day pi55ing money up the wall.

AndyL
9th May 2011, 10:28
I think it's a great idea, provided it's at Silverstone and they don't charge too much for spectating!

Mark
9th May 2011, 10:34
I'd be all for this if it was coupled with a requirement to test new drivers, rather than allow the established drivers to pound around all day pi55ing money up the wall.

Agreed. It could be a requirement that no driver who has competed in a race that year is allowed to drive during the in-season testing.
It would at least mean that the test / reserve driver position is a serious one unlike it is at the moment, used to be back in the day that being a test driver for a top team was a serious role which often led to a race seat.

SGWilko
9th May 2011, 10:39
Agreed. It could be a requirement that no driver who has competed in a race that year is allowed to drive during the in-season testing.
It would at least mean that the test / reserve driver position is a serious one unlike it is at the moment, used to be back in the day that being a test driver for a top team was a serious role which often led to a race seat.

It is also a legitimate way to attract genuine talent to teams, and all the potential new sponsors that inevitably come with it.

They should publicise and broadcast the tests to showcase the upcoming talent....

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 18:38
Yes it would be great if we could gain access to a test at Silverstone.

Lets hope.