PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race - Turkey

Ranger
8th May 2011, 14:59
Vettel. What Friday crash?

Alonso was pretty decent as was Rosberg.

Hard to keep track of the rest.

N4D13
8th May 2011, 15:00
Vettel, then Alonso, then Buemi, then Rosberg.

ioan
8th May 2011, 15:04
Vettel cruised like if nothing ever happened on Friday.
Alonso did good too.

The rest were scrappy, most of the time driving into each other during overtaking. Whatever happened to clean overtaking moves.

AndyL
8th May 2011, 15:08
The rest were scrappy, most of the time driving into each other during overtaking. Whatever happened to clean overtaking moves.

Hamilton and Button?

ioan
8th May 2011, 15:12
Hamilton and Button?

They did OK, but nothing worth mentioning in the driver of the race thread.

steveaki13
8th May 2011, 15:57
I thought Vettel wins the Driver of the Race for me. A superb race and if he had not taken the 4th stop. Would have won by about 20 seconds.

Other mentions:

Alonso (Somehow kept Red Bull in sight while the rest were 30 odd seconds back)
Buemi (A solid drive from Sebastian, he was ahead of the top drivers during Pit Stops)
Kobayashi (Another great driver from the back of the grid)

AndyL
8th May 2011, 16:11
They did OK, but nothing worth mentioning in the driver of the race thread.

You asked a question, I answered.

steveaki13
8th May 2011, 16:18
I thought the Mclaren battle was great as they battled not only at the DRS zone, but I agree neither did enough to be a driver of the day. Albeit Hamilton would have been closer to the leaders without the poor tyre change.

He would still have only been 20 seconds behind instead of 30+ though.

truefan72
8th May 2011, 18:45
..its pains me to say it but...
Alonso
He drove a brilliant race, and pretty much was on the same pace as the RBR's
If he and webber had not been behind rosberg at the start, they both would have pushed vettel and Alonso might have actually won this thing, because he was blindingly fast today. He was relentless throughout the whole race and deserved his 3rd position.

It seems that the Ferrari is a poor qualy car on low fuel, but a beast in race trim. Alonso's talents also help matters on raceday.

truefan72
8th May 2011, 18:47
while not a driver of the race,

a special mention has to go out to the Turkish GP track.
It is a great track and will really be missed in 2012

truefan72
8th May 2011, 18:50
I thought Vettel wins the Driver of the Race for me. A superb race and if he had not taken the 4th stop. Would have won by about 20 seconds.

If he had not taken the 4th stop he would have been caught and lost the race to webber
those tyres were not going to last an additional 13 laps

Zico
8th May 2011, 18:55
Alonso then Vettel.

Sonic
8th May 2011, 19:11
M Schumacher.

Oh sorry, wrong thread ;)

F1boat
8th May 2011, 21:06
Vettel. He was amazing today, awesome race, never let the others even to dream about taking the victory. Alonso also deserves a mention.

ioan
8th May 2011, 21:10
..its pains me to say it but...
Alonso
He drove a brilliant race, and pretty much was on the same pace as the RBR's
If he and webber had not been behind rosberg at the start, they both would have pushed vettel and Alonso might have actually won this thing, because he was blindingly fast today. He was relentless throughout the whole race and deserved his 3rd position.

It seems that the Ferrari is a poor qualy car on low fuel, but a beast in race trim. Alonso's talents also help matters on raceday.

Yes and no.
He did well, but Vettel was cruising and controlling the gap all the time. Alonso had bugger all chances to catch him today.

truefan72
8th May 2011, 21:59
Yes and no.
He did well, but Vettel was cruising and controlling the gap all the time. Alonso had bugger all chances to catch him today.

yes and no
chasing cars and being in a fight especially in the opening laps produces a much slower lap than the guy out front pulling away, using rosberg as a buffer
Had both webber and Alonso passed rosberg in the first lap, it would have been an exciting 3 way battle, and with DRS, I would even fancy Webber taking a shot at Vettel in lap 4. and Alonso close behind.

I was actually hoping that rosbegrg would catch some lighting and give Vettel a run for his money. All he had to do was to stay as close as possible for 3 laps and then attempt the pass in lap 4. Sadly he simply couldn't keep up and ended up being Vettel's beast defense

BDunnell
8th May 2011, 22:11
yes and no
chasing cars and being in a fight especially in the opening laps produces a much slower lap than the guy out front pulling away, using rosberg as a buffer
Had both webber and Alonso passed rosberg in the first lap, it would have been an exciting 3 way battle, and with DRS, I would even fancy Webber taking a shot at Vettel in lap 4. and Alonso close behind.

I was actually hoping that rosbegrg would catch some lighting and give Vettel a run for his money. All he had to do was to stay as close as possible for 3 laps and then attempt the pass in lap 4. Sadly he simply couldn't keep up and ended up being Vettel's beast defense

How depressing that we are even able to discuss with some accuracy the exact moment at which we think he could have attempted to make the pass, rather than it being a natural thing born out of genuine racing.

N. Jones
9th May 2011, 02:05
Driver of the race?

There can only be one - Kobayashi!

Marbles
9th May 2011, 02:50
Kobayashi ran hard and fast. Hamilton had some major scrapping with his teammate and a pit stop that would have been equal to a fifth stop but he still managed well. Alonso also did well for a beleaguered Ferrari.

truefan72
9th May 2011, 03:04
How depressing that we are even able to discuss with some accuracy the exact moment at which we think he could have attempted to make the pass, rather than it being a natural thing born out of genuine racing.

without kers, or drs, or refeuling or pirelli tyres, we would still be discussing in some accuracy the exact moment we think he could have attempted to make a pass.
I am not sure what genuine racing is:
regular fuel?,
stick shift?,
V4 cars?,
no brake bias adjustment?
no technology?
no wings?
no blown diffuser?
no wings?
no aero?
no communication devices?
no carbon fiber components?

what is genuine racing in your book?

Marbles
9th May 2011, 03:14

Not meaning to speak for BDunnel, but for myself, I think genuine racing is pretty much lost when a following driver is allowed to use a "device" that the lead driver is not allowed to use.

Ari
9th May 2011, 06:13
Has to be Seb!

aryan
9th May 2011, 06:56
As much as I'm not really fond of him, Driver of the Race has to be Vettel. He's untouchable at the moment.

Honourable mention to Alonso and Kobayashi, who managed to score a point starting from last, even though he was on the wrong strategy.

555-04Q2
9th May 2011, 07:10
The winner.

Big Ben
9th May 2011, 07:45
Michael Schumacher with yet another delightful perfomance should be the driver of the reace. Just hang in there buddy. Him getting fired will be all that's left for this return to be as failed as it can be.

SGWilko
9th May 2011, 10:06
Not meaning to speak for BDunnel, but for myself, I think genuine racing is pretty much lost when a following driver is allowed to use a "device" that the lead driver is not allowed to use.

Playing Devil's advocate here - technically, if the overtakee can stay close enough to the overtakor, he can return the compliment with a re-pass next lap. What skews it all, and why there is a genuine case for removal of DRS, is the difference in grip from the tyres. KERS can be used by both overtakor and overtakee, but it really needs to be opened up a bit and available for longer over a lap.

ioan
9th May 2011, 18:53
without kers, or drs, or refeuling or pirelli tyres, we would still be discussing in some accuracy the exact moment we think he could have attempted to make a pass.
I am not sure what genuine racing is:
regular fuel?,
stick shift?,
V4 cars?,
no brake bias adjustment?
no technology?
no wings?
no blown diffuser?
no wings?
no aero?
no communication devices?
no carbon fiber components?

No push to pass.

ioan
9th May 2011, 18:56
Playing Devil's advocate here - technically, if the overtakee can stay close enough to the overtakor, he can return the compliment with a re-pass next lap. What skews it all, and why there is a genuine case for removal of DRS, is the difference in grip from the tyres. KERS can be used by both overtakor and overtakee, but it really needs to be opened up a bit and available for longer over a lap.

Bad bad advocate.

Why should the faster car have the written right to pass if the driver can't do it without external help from the rule makers?
Anyway welcome to the circus, it's just like in the old days 2000 years ago.

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 19:53
[quote="ioan"]
Why should the faster car have the written right to pass if the driver can't do it without external help from the rule makers?
QUOTE]

I have to say I fully agree with that.

You have to be able to work an opening to pass or create a mistake from the driver ahead.

Not just get within a second and be gifted a pass.

While I have enjoyed the races this year, I would still prefer F1 to lose these tools to aid overtaking and reduce downforce etc.
And go back to a slightly more even battle. Where it is a fully fair fight between challenger and holder (of the position)

truefan72
9th May 2011, 20:57
No push to pass.

lol

Shifter
9th May 2011, 21:49
Vettel. That was as dominating a drive as they come. The car is far and away the best, but even Webber had to contend with Alonso.

Alonso deserves a heck of a mention as well, because he's forced to get as much or more out of his car than Vettel does. It's a tossup, but winning tips the nod to Vettel, fair or not...hard to know where Ferrari really stands on pace because Massa has clearly lost the plot.

wedge
11th May 2011, 14:52
Vettel is an easy option but honourable mentions to Alonso's fighting spirit and the re-emergence(?) of Ferrari and Webber triggering the final stops.

Roamy
13th May 2011, 09:16
I thought Alonso did a very good job but the reality is the day totally belonged to Vettel.

Garry Walker
14th May 2011, 11:51
Michael Schumacher with yet another delightful perfomance should be the driver of the reace. Just hang in there buddy. Him getting fired will be all that's left for this return to be as failed as it can be.

:laugh:
He has been atrocious, hasnt he?

Sonic
14th May 2011, 12:37
:laugh:
He has been atrocious, hasnt he?

Bit late to the party aren't you Gary? But yes, pretty pathetic thus far.

Arjuna
16th May 2011, 07:26
Before the last tyres change, Alonso was successfully in between of two Red Bulls, thought he would make it stick until finish. If not mistaken Alonso pitted later than Webber, from tyres pov he was supposed to drive with more grip and shouldn't let Webber took it again. Engine problem?, perhaps, Red Bull cars can keep the pace for the whole laps. Besides great aero, have their cooling system improved whenever average cars have reached unfavorable temp, Red Bull engine still works at cooler temp that it feeds up the engine to deliver more power, just my guess.

DOTD should be the two Red Bull Infiniti, Alonso on his Ferrari deserves a mention for the improvement too.

N4D13
16th May 2011, 10:13
Before the last tyres change, Alonso was successfully in between of two Red Bulls, thought he would make it stick until finish. If not mistaken Alonso pitted later than Webber, from tyres pov he was supposed to drive with more grip and shouldn't let Webber took it again. Engine problem?, perhaps, Red Bull cars can keep the pace for the whole laps. Besides great aero, have their cooling system improved whenever average cars have reached unfavorable temp, Red Bull engine still works at cooler temp that it feeds up the engine to deliver more power, just my guess.

DOTD should be the two Red Bull Infiniti, Alonso on his Ferrari deserves a mention for the improvement too.
The Ferrari isn't as fast with hard tyres as it's with the softs, that's it. And it's not my view, it's Marc Gené's.