PDA

View Full Version : Rules for 2013

christophulus
8th May 2011, 14:49
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but looks like most of the ideas (including Bernie's favourite engine) will go through. No ground effect but smaller wings instead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13326363.stm

The cars' drag co-efficient will reduce from existing levels of 0.9Cd to about 0.7Cd, while the FIA's initial hope had been to cut it to 0.5Cd.
The changes will include:
* a front wing of reduced width
* a much shallower rear wing, similar to those used at the high-speed Monza track
* significantly lower noses on the cars
* the retention of the moveable rear wing - or drag-reduction system (DRS) - that was introduced this season to make overtaking a little easier
* a restriction on all the extra pieces of bodywork that have sprouted in front of the sidepods of the cars
* a restriction on the design of front wing endplates, to limit the intricate designs seen today.

ioan
8th May 2011, 15:37
Funny, first they make the front wing much wider, then a couple years later decide to make it narrower.
Then we will get standard shallow rear wings so that one driver loses the end of the car every lap at least around Monaco.
DRS will stay, not because it's making overtaking 'a little easier', because in fact it makes overtaking overabundant.
A restriction on all extra pieces of bodywork in front of the sidepods? Wait, I though we already went through that a couple of years ago. This just shows that the engineers are so much smart then the lawmakers.
And then let's make a standard front wing too, to combine it with the standard rear one, and make sure no one can outsmart the competition like RBR did.

BDunnell
8th May 2011, 16:00
DRS will stay, not because it's making overtaking 'a little easier', because in fact it makes overtaking overabundant.

I don't think it makes it overabundant. The amount of overtaking is pretty much what I would like to see in F1. However, it is happening for the wrong reasons.

steveaki13
8th May 2011, 16:03
Are the rules for 2012 the same as 2011 at the moment?

ioan
8th May 2011, 21:19
I don't think it makes it overabundant. The amount of overtaking is pretty much what I would like to see in F1. However, it is happening for the wrong reasons.

Never in the history of F1 were 100+ overtakes per race the norm in normal conditions.
Welcome to Nascar.

BDunnell
8th May 2011, 21:22
Never in the history of F1 were 100+ overtakes per race the norm in normal conditions.
Welcome to Nascar.

Is that statistic correct?

Sonic
8th May 2011, 22:27
^^^^

Plucked from thin air that one.

BDunnell
8th May 2011, 22:30
^^^^

Plucked from thin air that one.

I did wonder, because, shall we say, some members have greater knowledge of the history of F1 than others, but I will wait for statistical proof.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th May 2011, 22:35
Making the wings smaller might allow drivers to follow close so we don't need DRS.

BDunnell
8th May 2011, 22:36
Making the wings smaller might allow drivers to follow cloe so we don't need DRS.

There are those who feel such a move would be a retrograde step unbecoming of F1. Personally, I disagree with them.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th May 2011, 22:39
Also, why do they want to reduce the drag co-efficient? Wont this make slipstreaming more difficult?

Sonic
8th May 2011, 22:40
Making the wings smaller might allow drivers to follow cloe so we don't need DRS.

Well it can't hurt. It was very impressive to see how close the guys could stay through turn eight in 'dirty air', so perhaps the DRS could then be freed up for everyone to use if we loose that issue.

I doubt it though. The squints are just too damn smart and will claw back all the lost downforce in a few years putting us back at square one. I'm a bit disappointed they haven't followed through on the GE.

Sonic
8th May 2011, 22:44
Also, why do they want to reduce the drag co-efficient? Wont this make slipstreaming more difficult?

It's more the churned up air mid corner that causes the probs. Hell, I've had a decent tow off a stock touring car back in the day, and they have Drag of less than 0.3 if I recall correctly. Any tow is useable if you are a few car lengths back - not so much if you are over a second away.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th May 2011, 23:06
It's more the churned up air mid corner that causes the probs. Hell, I've had a decent tow off a stock touring car back in the day, and they have Drag of less than 0.3 if I recall correctly. Any tow is useable if you are a few car lengths back - not so much if you are over a second away.

And I guess that lower drag will increase the braking distances, making overtaking easier?