PDA

View Full Version : Herta's team out as 2012 chassis test team

dataman1
22nd April 2011, 12:34
From what I have heard (sources protected) the team owners meeting in Long Beach included a "what about me" discussion from the big teams about Herta doing all the testing with money coming from Indycar and Dallara. The discussion was heated and resulted in Cottman pulling the deal from Herta who had already hired new staff and had others waiting in the wings. Now they may not make the Indy 500. IMO this is another example of the selfish attitudes of the big team owners that dont really care about survival of the series. They would just go race in some other seriese. Come on Randy, things won't change if the influence of team owners is not kept clear of decision good for the series.

EagleEye
22nd April 2011, 15:28
From what I have heard (sources protected) the team owners meeting in Long Beach included a "what about me" discussion from the big teams about Herta doing all the testing with money coming from Indycar and Dallara. The discussion was heated and resulted in Cottman pulling the deal from Herta who had already hired new staff and had others waiting in the wings. Now they may not make the Indy 500. IMO this is another example of the selfish attitudes of the big team owners that dont really care about survival of the series. They would just go race in some other seriese. Come on Randy, things won't change if the influence of team owners is not kept clear of decision good for the series.

Just to provide some other info here, Herta has not been pulled from the testing program. The actual terms of that program are still being discussed.

Two of the larger teams are trying to line up the testing program, and promising to share information with all the other teams. This has been met with mixed enthusiasm as the original plan was to have two non-current teams do the testing. So, this is still being debated but Herta did sign several key members to the team based on the testing program. As far as they know, they will be part of the process in some way.

As for the Indy 500, the team is moving forward, and has actually entered an agreement with another existing team in order to share resources, and utilize that other team’s second car. There are, and have been, people on the ground coordinating the efforts for the last month or so. Wheldon was actually in town this past week, working with the team on items specific to the 500.
There certainly could be changes, as we have seen the Indycar series swing back and forth on several behind the scene decisions. We shall see where this all ends up….

dataman1
22nd April 2011, 17:44
Thanks for the added info.

call_me_andrew
23rd April 2011, 20:32
I was wondering when the testing was going to start. With less than a year to the car's debut, there should be a test mule on track by now.

Chamoo
23rd April 2011, 23:29
I was wondering when the testing was going to start. With less than a year to the car's debut, there should be a test mule on track by now.

Based on what Cotman was saying this, I believe they are stress testing the car parts at the moment off track. On track testing will commence in June I think he said. Cotman said they were on their timeline.

Marbles
25th April 2011, 02:50
Forgive my ignorance but seeing the relationship and experience Dallara has with Indycar, what challenges are present with the new car. How much more than a roller is this? Are there revolutionary rules set out by Indy that create a whole new, forgive the cross-sport metaphor, ball game. Other than the aero kits of course.

Because, to be brutally honest, the greatest challenge I see for Dallara with the new car in this single chassis series is it's ability to keep it's car from becoming airborne.

call_me_andrew
25th April 2011, 03:56
Well the next-gen cars are going to be lighter and (supposedly) safer. And since this is Dallara's first chassis built to have a monopoly, it will have to be much cheaper to mass produce than the IR5.

Marbles
25th April 2011, 04:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZfGhptmr8&feature=player_embedded#at=68