PDA

View Full Version : No Turkish Grand Prix in 2012

ArrowsFA1
22nd April 2011, 07:49
Istanbul will not host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2012 due to a disagreement between Turkish officials and F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone over payments to stage the race, Turkish media reported on Friday.

The Hurriyet daily quoted Murat Yalcintas, head of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce which backs the race in Turkey, as saying the government rejected a bid by Ecclestone to raise the payment to stage the race to $26 million from $13 million.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/04/22/motor-racing-prix-turkey-idUKLDE73L01920110422

truefan72
22nd April 2011, 17:19
its pathetic by bernie. simply pathetic.

Its a great track and given that the crowds were dwindling ( probably because of ticket prices) he chooses to double the fee to an absurd $26 million.
Meanwhile Germany and Spa managed to reduce their fee's and that was accepted.

Time for these tracks to say enough is enough, form a union and force bernie to reduce the rates.
If he doesn't like it then he can figure out how to host 20 GP's in the middle east and asia.

It is time for bernie and his thieving money laundering cohorts to exit the scene and allow a reasonable party to negotiate the fees.

All bernie is doing is trying to get his own cut out of the event regardless if it is a success or a failure. Then employs ridiculous tactics like this to effectively make the GP leave so he can bring in another one willing to pay his absurd rates.

He knew all along that Turkey would never go for double the fee and he simply wanted them gone.

simply pathetic

truefan72
22nd April 2011, 17:24
I enjoy the track, but not enough people attend the race and with more money being demanded, its not surprising they can't afford to host.

maybe not enough people attend the race because the prices have skyrocketed, and maybe that has something to do with the asking price from bernie.

gloomyDAY
22nd April 2011, 18:33
Sad to see the track leave the calendar, but there needs to be room for the U.S. Grand Prix.

steveaki13
22nd April 2011, 23:53
Its a good track. One of the best new venues, it will be a shame to see this go, while Valencia and Abu Dabi stay on the circuit.

gloomyDAY
23rd April 2011, 00:59
Its a good track. One of the best new venues, it will be a shame to see this go, while Valencia and Abu Dabi stay on the circuit.Good point. Valencia is such a big waste of time. Why didn't that track get axed?

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2011, 02:01
Good point. Valencia is such a big waste of time. Why didn't that track get axed?

Agreed - awful circuit. Hopefully this means that Turkey will end up back in the MotoGP calendar.

TMorel
23rd April 2011, 09:43
Maybe all the good tracks can leave, then the top teams and Murdoch can buy an F1 consisting of Valencia, Bahrain, Abu Dabi and 24 HRT prepared cars

Roamy
23rd April 2011, 10:56
I think from what I can see the track is quite good. I do think that trying to run a gp race in a predominately muslim country can the a tough job. Bernie should lower the ticket prices and really try to attract the population of the area to attend. Sometimes the education can far out weigh the monetary value

F1boat
23rd April 2011, 12:49

Its a great track and given that the crowds were dwindling ( probably because of ticket prices) he chooses to double the fee to an absurd $26 million.

Time for these tracks to say enough is enough, form a union and force bernie to reduce the rates.
If he doesn't like it then he can figure out how to host 20 GP's in the middle east and asia.

It is time for bernie and his thieving money laundering cohorts to exit the scene and allow a reasonable party to negotiate the fees.

All bernie is doing is trying to get his own cut out of the event regardless if it is a success or a failure. Then employs ridiculous tactics like this to effectively make the GP leave so he can bring in another one willing to pay his absurd rates.

He knew all along that Turkey would never go for double the fee and he simply wanted them gone.

simply pathetic

Well said!

markabilly
23rd April 2011, 13:04
I thought Turkey was the track that bernie owned or had a big percentage of the ownership?

Maybe it is another track, Hungary or something?

Dave B
23rd April 2011, 18:18
I do think that trying to run a gp race in a predominately muslim country can the a tough job. Bernie should lower the ticket prices and really try to attract the population of the area to attend. Sometimes the education can far out weigh the monetary value
Eh?

UltimateDanGTR
24th April 2011, 19:06
I thought Turkey was the track that bernie owned or had a big percentage of the ownership?

Maybe it is another track, Hungary or something?

Oh god how I hope it isn't Hungary.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th April 2011, 19:39
Why are people slagging off Abu Dhabi? We've only seen two races, 2009 was good, 2010 was average.

Turkey is a good track though. Lots of challenging corners and elevation changes, and produces good overtaking.

Sleeper
24th April 2011, 22:01
Why are people slagging off Abu Dhabi? We've only seen two races, 2009 was good, 2010 was average.

Turkey is a good track though. Lots of challenging corners and elevation changes, and produces good overtaking.
The only thing that made the 2009 race more than a dull procession was Buttons spirited attack on Webber right at the end, not quite as bad as last years snore fest though.

nigelred5
25th April 2011, 01:33
I think from what I can see the track is quite good. I do think that trying to run a gp race in a predominately muslim country can the a tough job. Bernie should lower the ticket prices and really try to attract the population of the area to attend. Sometimes the education can far out weigh the monetary value

Malaysia
Bahrain
Abu Dhabi
Turkey

All predominately Muslim countries with GP's. Ticket prices has nothing to do with the predominate religion. Bernie is there because each of the goverments ponied up to lure the prestige of a GP to their country. Bernie is charged with maximizing the bottom line, not keeping a GP in any particular country. EVentually he's going to run out of suckers.

ioan
25th April 2011, 19:07

simply pathetic

Agree. Anyway Todt's comments lately make it clear that the FIA might step in if Bernie continues to misuse his rights in the F1 world. I am looking forward to the moment when Bernie is kicked out!

markabilly
25th April 2011, 22:05
Well, it turns out that bernie has some special deal where he has some extra kick back, as he is also the promoter, or owns the promotion company for the race. Not sure about all the details.

appearantly his "rights" are up , so maybe he is trying to make some more under the table deals.

Mekola
26th April 2011, 03:23
Sad to see the track leave the calendar, but there needs to be room for the U.S. Grand Prix.
Then another circuit could be dropped in 2014 to make room for Russian GP.

ArrowsFA1
26th April 2011, 07:52
Agree. Anyway Todt's comments lately make it clear that the FIA might step in if Bernie continues to misuse his rights in the F1 world. I am looking forward to the moment when Bernie is kicked out!
Bernie is not misusing any rights. He is making deals in the way he always has done, and which the FIA has previously agreed to. The current FIA President may not like it but there is little or nothing he can do at present. Things may change when the Concorde Agreement comes up for renewal at the end of 2012, and between now and then we may well have a 'war of words' between the various parties involved.

Big Ben
26th April 2011, 08:50
being probably the best tilkedrom it's only natural to be the first to leave.

ioan
26th April 2011, 17:53
Bernie is not misusing any rights. He is making deals in the way he always has done, and which the FIA has previously agreed to. The current FIA President may not like it but there is little or nothing he can do at present. Things may change when the Concorde Agreement comes up for renewal at the end of 2012, and between now and then we may well have a 'war of words' between the various parties involved.

Yeah sure, what next? Bernie is the master of the Universe?!
Don't forget that F1 is a FIA championship and not a Bernie championship, so Bernie might get a slap over the wrist sooner than he believes it now that Todt isn't doing the part like Max was doing it.
As most people know contracts can be broken or nullified.

Sonic
26th April 2011, 18:16
I should hope Todt would pick his battles a bit more carefully. Whilst I have no desire to see Turkey go, it is hardly a well supported event, in the greater scheme of things it wouldn't be badly missed.

If our president wants a fight with Bernie the lack of a French GP should be his first.

ioan
27th April 2011, 17:28
I should hope Todt would pick his battles a bit more carefully. Whilst I have no desire to see Turkey go, it is hardly a well supported event, in the greater scheme of things it wouldn't be badly missed.

If our president wants a fight with Bernie the lack of a French GP should be his first.

Todt should use any of Bernie's misdemeanors to get him under fire and not let him breathe.

DexDexter
27th April 2011, 19:54

simply pathetic

If the fees are lowered, the teams get less money which is not good for F1, so it's not quite as simple as that. Maybe Bernie demanded more money because he himself saw that the race really had no future because nobody is interested in it in Turkey.

Good point. Valencia is such a big waste of time. Why didn't that track get axed?

It will in a couple of years at the latest once the F1 boom in Spain is finished.

ArrowsFA1
28th April 2011, 08:33
Yeah sure, what next? Bernie is the master of the Universe?!
Don't forget that F1 is a FIA championship and not a Bernie championship, so Bernie might get a slap over the wrist sooner than he believes it now that Todt isn't doing the part like Max was doing it.
As most people know contracts can be broken or nullified.
Bernie is currently master of the F1 universe, however since the (IMHO) welcome departure of Max as FIA President his position is not as comfortable as it once was. You're right that F1 is a FIA Championship and for the last 20yrs or so the FIA has been very hands off when it comes to running the sport, Max being happy to leave it to Bernie. Todt doesn't have the same approach so things are going to change.

Bernie worked very hard to reduce the influence of the FIA when it came to F1, and was very successful in doing so with Max's help, so he's unlikely to take kindly to the FIA reasserting itself.

schmenke
28th April 2011, 21:21
If the fees are lowered, the teams get less money which is not good for F1, ....

Are the venue fees shared amongst the teams? I thought the only source of revenues for the teams is from television broadcast rights?

ioan
29th April 2011, 16:01
Bernie is currently master of the F1 universe, however since the (IMHO) welcome departure of Max as FIA President his position is not as comfortable as it once was. You're right that F1 is a FIA Championship and for the last 20yrs or so the FIA has been very hands off when it comes to running the sport, Max being happy to leave it to Bernie. Todt doesn't have the same approach so things are going to change.

Bernie worked very hard to reduce the influence of the FIA when it came to F1, and was very successful in doing so with Max's help, so he's unlikely to take kindly to the FIA reasserting itself.

There is not much Bernie can do if the FIA decides to be more involved with how F1 is being run. Which only proves he's no master of anything else but his own mouth, he doesn't even own the rights to F1 anymore anyway.

ioan
29th April 2011, 16:02
Are the venue fees shared amongst the teams? I thought the only source of revenues for the teams is from television broadcast rights?

That's what I thought too.

call_me_andrew
30th April 2011, 05:40
Good riddance! A track so perversely entertaining has no buisness hosting Formula One.

aryan
5th May 2011, 09:17
I will really miss that turn 8.

This was Tilke's best track. It's the one he finally got right. It really had character, and was "different".

Turkey has been eaily one of my top 5 circuits. I'll miss it dearly.

ArrowsFA1
5th May 2011, 09:57
There is not much Bernie can do if the FIA decides to be more involved with how F1 is being run.
The FIA will have to renegotiate a number of contracts before they can take more control of F1! The main one being the deal done by Max granting Bernie, and the companies he represents, the rights to F1 for 100 years.

Whyzars
5th May 2011, 10:13
Good riddance! A track so perversely entertaining has no buisness hosting Formula One.

:)

The problem I see is that a lot of investment goes into building an F1 track. If there is too much uncertainty surrounding race allocations we may see less and less willingness for investment in new tracks. That would be a shame.

ioan
7th May 2011, 12:28
Many things will change in the coming years, starting with the teams who are eager to achieve part ownership of the sport.
Bernie's time is gone now.

Mark
9th May 2011, 14:53
:)

The problem I see is that a lot of investment goes into building an F1 track. If there is too much uncertainty surrounding race allocations we may see less and less willingness for investment in new tracks. That would be a shame.

We already have enough tracks, too many in fact. We need to be making investments in the existing circuits, not going off looking for new ones.

BDunnell
9th May 2011, 23:42
We already have enough tracks, too many in fact. We need to be making investments in the existing circuits, not going off looking for new ones.

What sort of activity is there at most of the new F1 tracks over the course of an average year, I wonder? Can't imagine the Abu Dhabi club racing scene being a regular sight at Yas Marina.

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 23:55
What sort of activity is there at most of the new F1 tracks over the course of an average year, I wonder? Can't imagine the Abu Dhabi club racing scene being a regular sight at Yas Marina.

This is the list of 2011 events at Yas.

*YAS V8 400 (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=10) / GP2 Asia
formula drift (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=11)
Yas Drag Festival (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=15) pro drag racing (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=24)
Exotic Drag Racing (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/#)
open drag racing (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=23)
FIA GT1 World (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=12)
Local Champions (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=14)
formula 1™ (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=13)
TRI YAS (http://ymc.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/ymc-motorsports-content/126/tri_yas.html) Triathlon?
Yas Training Ni (http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/Events_Detail.aspx?gid=25)ghts

BDunnell
9th May 2011, 23:58
A bit more than I thought.

Arjuna
10th May 2011, 05:38
IMO, The tracks are currently existing may exceed the ideal number already how many F1 races fit in a season, but there are still enough interest to make investment on building new tracks besides currently existing or in progress. That said new tracks are as much possible designed for F1, just like Turkey they can host F1 in certain period within the agreement.

Sad to say, some tracks are considered under parameter must be out of calender, those who have great concern will remain to stay, natural selection law, then they can only host events other than F1. Turkey is great track, all drivers like the track, great loss.