PDA

View Full Version : Rallyschool.co.uk?

Pete-w
21st April 2011, 01:38
Has anyone in here used them? If so, would you recommend them?

Thanks.

axelriet
21st April 2011, 02:47
"Real" rally school (like Tommi Makinen's) costs £ 4,000 to £ 7,000 per day + £ 13,000 insurance deposit. I don't know what you get with Rallyschool.co.uk's £ 415 1-to-1 tuition but it's probably a lot of fun and good learning, depending on your current level of experience and expectations...

Pete-w
21st April 2011, 03:43
Well, It was their 'rally for real' Thing I was looking at doing. for a few reasons.

Mark
21st April 2011, 08:34
"Real" rally school (like Tommi Makinen's) costs £ 4,000 to £ 7,000 per day + £ 13,000 insurance deposit. I don't know what you get with Rallyschool.co.uk's £ 415 1-to-1 tuition but it's probably a lot of fun and good learning, depending on your current level of experience and expectations...

I expect that's for drivers who are already professional and want to get even better? Not some bloke off the street who wants to have a go at rallying?

MrJan
21st April 2011, 10:25
Yeah, if anything the Makinen thing is more of a rallying finishing school. Most of these events seem to be fairly standard. My old man went on a corporate gig to Castle Combe to do a track event and had great fun, although not sure if he'd have done it if he had to pay £200. But if you want a half day of learning the basics and have a crack then I'd have thought it was a good thing to do.

Alternatively get some banger and go sprinting or see if your local motor club do a grass track type thing. I know that Torbay MC recently had a 'grassroots' thing which was sort of like an autotest in a field, the bloke that won the championship used a Renault Espace so you get an idea of just how low the entry level can be.

Martin Liddle
21st April 2011, 15:50
Has anyone in here used them? If so, would you recommend them?

They are well known and have run a lot of competitors over the years. I think it is a good way to take the first steps into competing.

Doon
10th May 2011, 19:40
I used to work as an instructor at the Shropshire school of the said company. It's mostly 'gift' days, which are great fun but like has been said not a real forest rally experience like you might see on TV.

If you are looking to learn the basics or do single venues, it's a perfect place on an old airifeld. If you want professional advice and possibly want to hire a car, speak to John he has years of experience and runs many cars in the BTRDA. It's a great base to start rallying at entry level, so just give them a ring with your requirements and i'm sure they'll be very helpful.

For a gravel forest experience or a BARS test, I went to Phil Price, my brother when to the Higgins Forest experience, both were excellent and very helpful/knowledgeable, but obviously more expensive. All depends on what you're looking for.