PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Kat Legge?

bzcam
20th April 2011, 23:53
I saw a blurb in one of Robin Miller's Mailbag posts about Kat Legge attending the St. Pete race. I went to her new and improved website (that's now a blog) and she is openly talking about coming back to the US and wanting to race in Indycar. I remember seeing her at the Houston Grand Prix in person and watching her in the old CCWS starting with KV and then moving down to Coyne until it folded. She raced DTM in Germany for three seasons but was always a back marker and never did a lot.

My question: Is there a reason to think she will get a ride this year? She seems to think so. Does she come with sponsorship of any kind? I doubt she's associated with Audi anymore.

I always liked Kat. She had a good attitude and seemed to have good race instincts. I would be happy to see her in the field with Simona and you know who.

Anyone know anything else?

BZ

bzcam
21st April 2011, 00:00
BTW, Kat's blog is here: http://katherinelegge.com/

BZ

I am evil Homer
21st April 2011, 09:23
In fairness in DTM she was in the worst team with a 2 year old car so was never going to be a front runner. She's got talent but I don't know if she has any money to bring.

Anubis
21st April 2011, 14:03
Would be good to have her back in the field, as I think she's a better driver than results tend to suggest, for the reasons given above. I still like her for her most British of reactions to THAT crash :)

bzcam
21st April 2011, 14:05
Would be good to have her back in the field, as I think she's a better driver than results tend to suggest, for the reasons given above. I still like her for her most British of reactions to THAT crash :)

"I still have all my bits and pieces." Great quote from a cool customer. I hope she returns too.

BZ

NickFalzone
21st April 2011, 18:41
When you've got Bourdais in the series, and the best he can get is part time with Coyne, you know there aren't many seats available. Speaking of Seabass, anyone know if he's got any opportunities for Indy?

DBell
21st April 2011, 18:48
When you've got Bourdais in the series, and the best he can get is part time with Coyne, you know there aren't many seats available. Speaking of Seabass, anyone know if he's got any opportunities for Indy?

I believe he'll be busy with Peugeot getting ready for Le Mans at that time.

gm99
21st April 2011, 21:31
I have been quite impressed with Kat in Atlantics and Champ Car, but have to say that she really didn't show anything at all in the DTM over the past three seasons with a best finish of 12th in a field not exceeding 20 drivers. Of course she didn't have the best car, but others in similar equipment did better than her.

call_me_andrew
22nd April 2011, 23:42
She has a combined one oval race in her carrer. I don't think that would translate well to IndyCar.

ykiki
23rd April 2011, 00:07
She has a combined one oval race in her carrer. I don't think that would translate well to IndyCar.

If I remember, she did quite well in that race. So...unless someone has an extensive oval resume, they shouldn't even consider trying it?

Leo Krupe
23rd April 2011, 01:00
In a recent poll, 100% of the respondents voted in favor of Kat coming back to the States to drive in IndyCars. As a gesture of full disclosure, the poll was conducted with a very small sample size (one), and that respondent was me.

She had a good attitude, and I think she'd hold her own against the field.

Anubis
23rd April 2011, 01:06

Dario seems to have coped...

Phoenixent
23rd April 2011, 04:24

This is one of the most off the wall statements made. For that one oval race Katherine Legge started 8th finished 6th at Milwaukee 2006 and she led 12 laps. Prior to 2008 Graham Rahal had zero starts on ovals. Prior to Kansas 2010 Simona De Silvestro, Takuma Sato, had O starts on ovals. James Hinchcliffe, Charlie Kimball, J. R. Hildebrand, James Jakes, have 0 starts on ovals. Rookies always have zero starts on ovals and some non-rookies have zero starts on ovals and do good on them even become masters of them like oval master and four time Indy winner Rick Mears had zero starts on ovals until Ontario 1976 he DNQ prior to that event.

If one oval start does not translate well in Indycar what would? 50? 100? how many?

Phoenixent
23rd April 2011, 04:27
Dario seems to have coped...

You should check your facts on Dario before posting. Dario's first Indycar race was at Homestead in 1997 started 13th and finished 25th.

call_me_andrew
23rd April 2011, 05:16
This is one of the most off the wall statements made. For that one oval race Katherine Legge started 8th finished 6th at Milwaukee 2006 and she led 12 laps. Prior to 2008 Graham Rahal had zero starts on ovals. Prior to Kansas 2010 Simona De Silvestro, Takuma Sato, had O starts on ovals. James Hinchcliffe, Charlie Kimball, J. R. Hildebrand, James Jakes, have 0 starts on ovals. Rookies always have zero starts on ovals and some non-rookies have zero starts on ovals and do good on them even become masters of them like oval master and four time Indy winner Rick Mears had zero starts on ovals until Ontario 1976 he DNQ prior to that event.

If one oval start does not translate well in Indycar what would? 50? 100? how many?

I would say 30-100 starts would be ideal. She may have finished 6th, but that was Champ Car in 2006. All the real oval drivers had left by then.

DBell
23rd April 2011, 14:25
I would say 30-100 starts would be ideal. She may have finished 6th, but that was Champ Car in 2006. All the real oval drivers had left by then.

What a load of BS, this and your previous post. A lot drivers have come to Indy with little or no oval experience and managed to figure it out. This is the series that let Milka Duno get on ovals as a (barely) moving speedbump for a few years. Kat is light years ahead of Duno it terms of talent. To say she can't have a chance and her career doesn't "translate to IndyCar" (whatever that means), is ridiculous.

FIAT1
23rd April 2011, 16:47
Nigel Mansell has never raced on oval or Indycar before 93 and took everyone back to scool of oval racing in much more difficult car to drive. Most of road racers don't have a problem race oval after some laps. I don't know how Katherine would compare to likes of Marco Andretti , Tacuma Sato ,Kimball etc.but she did race Power , Servia, Bourdais ,Tracy and some of the other guys therefore I don't see big challenge. Nice to see all this talented racers looking for a seat , good for the series.

vintage
23rd April 2011, 17:36
This is one of the most off the wall statements made. For that one oval race Katherine Legge started 8th finished 6th at Milwaukee 2006 and she led 12 laps. Prior to 2008 Graham Rahal had zero starts on ovals. Prior to Kansas 2010 Simona De Silvestro, Takuma Sato, had O starts on ovals. James Hinchcliffe, Charlie Kimball, J. R. Hildebrand, James Jakes, have 0 starts on ovals.

Hinchcliffe, Kimball and Hildebrand have each run numerous ovals in FIL. So they do have some experience racing on ovals.

beachgirl
23rd April 2011, 18:01
What a load of BS, this and your previous post. A lot drivers have come to Indy with little or no oval experience and managed to figure it out. This is the series that let Milka Duno get on ovals as a (barely) moving speedbump for a few years. Kat is light years ahead of Duno it terms of talent. To say she can't have a chance and her career doesn't "translate to IndyCar" (whatever that means), is ridiculous.

If I recall correctly, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm not, Danica Patrick came to Indycar with no oval exerience. So by some posters on this thread, she should have never had a chance as her roadracing career (and that's all she had) would not have "translated" to Indycar. No reason at all why Katherine or anyone else with a roadracing background can't do well at ovals.

Phoenixent
23rd April 2011, 18:59
Hinchcliffe, Kimball and Hildebrand have each run numerous ovals in FIL. So they do have some experience racing on ovals.

Thanks Vintage. I forgot about them running in the Indy Lights series.

Phoenixent
23rd April 2011, 19:16

Really!!!! 30-100 starts that means that a driver would have to be in Indy Lights between 2 and 10 years before starting in Indycar.

2006 all the real oval drivers had left? You ask the real oval drivers as you call them about driving The Mile at Milwaukee. There have not been real oval drivers in Indycar for about 30 years. To be a real oval driver you needed to come up through Sprint Cars into Indycars not gokarts to Indycars.

Chris R
23rd April 2011, 19:24
The fact that the driver does not have any significant oval experience does not preclude them from doing well.... She may struggle on ovals she may not - racing history is littered with examples of both..... I suspect she would do just fine - but I also suspect this is more fan conjecture than a real chance for her to come to Indycar with a "real" team that could actually allow her to be in the realm of competitive..... Personally, I think it is only news if she lands a decent ride - otherwise she is a field filler that happens to be a woman and it is hard to get excited about any field fillers.....

beachgirl
23rd April 2011, 19:56
Field fillers are what makes the grid 33 positions. Nothing wrong with "field fillers". If you take them away, you're back to 10-12 starters. Anybody want that? Didn't think so.

Chris R
23rd April 2011, 21:43
Field fillers are what makes the grid 33 positions. Nothing wrong with "field fillers". If you take them away, you're back to 10-12 starters. Anybody want that? Didn't think so.

true, didn't mean that field fillers are bad - just that it is hard to get excited about them individually unless you have a strong affinity for someone.....

Anubis
24th April 2011, 01:35
You should check your facts on Dario before posting. Dario's first Indycar race was at Homestead in 1997 started 13th and finished 25th.

Where did I say anything about his first race? I said he's coped on ovals, which is demonstrably true. He came from a non-oval background, he has wins on ovals, therefore coming from a non-oval background isn't necessarily a hindrance to a driver looking to enter the series, which is what the post I quoted seemed to be suggesting.

NickFalzone
24th April 2011, 02:11
I think the 2008 season says everything that needs to be said about road-racers coming into IndyCar with little-to-no oval experience. They did just fine on them. I don't have specific numbers in front of me, but I remember quite a few ex-CC drivers getting top 10 and maybe even top-5 finishes. And since then, they have been highly competitive on the roads/streets, resulting in good Championship finishes. With even less ovals on the schedule now than 2008, I really think the "road racer" stigma is pretty much meaningless. The real question is whether Kat is still good on the roads/streets and can adapt to the IndyCar. And actually, the only real question is whether she can bring money. Does anyone think she will do worse than some of the KV guys? Apparently you can crash every week for a good team, as long as you bring a paycheck. Or you can be a 4-time championship winner, and get a part-time ride with a bottom tier team. Not a whole lot of middle ground.

call_me_andrew
24th April 2011, 02:59
The fact that the driver does not have any significant oval experience does not preclude them from doing well.... She may struggle on ovals she may not - racing history is littered with examples of both.....

The thing about ovals is that a struggling driver is a danger to everyone else on the track.

I'm not saying she needs to go to Indy Lights for 10 years. She can get seat time in NASCAR modifieds or USAC.

beachgirl
24th April 2011, 03:20
The thing about ovals is that a struggling driver is a danger to everyone else on the track.

I'm not saying she needs to go to Indy Lights for 10 years. She can get seat time in NASCAR modifieds or USAC.

Oh please. This is a ridiculous comment, and "argument".

Jag_Warrior
24th April 2011, 08:40
I'm not sure that I understand the basis for suggesting that Katherine Legge would need to "prove herself" before racing in the IRL on ovals. She's already raced on an oval, a rather challenging one, I might add. And as was said here, she did rather well. And to say that the CCWS field at that time wasn't all that strong... well, without putting too sharp a point on it, but the field now isn't exactly comprised of Rick Mears, A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and the Unser brothers.

I'm not comparing Katherine to anyone, but neither Zanardi nor Montoya had any oval experience before strapping into MUCH higher horsepower equipment than what Katherine would be getting into. And as best I recall, they did better than average on ovals. So if she can secure a decent ride, with a decent team and engineer, my guess is she'll do just fine.

True, this series needs more good racers, but it also needs more "personalities" like a drowning man needs air (yeah, I've read about the recent Versus ratings... even though I've seen no reason to comment on them). Here's the likely reality: Jimmie Johnson ain't coming. Dale, Jr. ain't coming. Jeff Gordon ain't coming. Juan Montoya ain't coming. Hell, even Kimi Raikkonen and Nelson Piquet, Jr. ain't coming. So if you want to see a person who would at least bring a bit of positive press and attention to this series, wouldn't it be better to welcome Katherine Legge with open arms, rather than nitpick why she shouldn't be allowed to take part?

jm2c

beachbum
24th April 2011, 12:00
I'm not sure that I understand the basis for suggesting that Katherine Legge would need to "prove herself" before racing in the IRL on ovals.That's an easy one. Racing forums (and internet forums in general it seems) are populated with many posters who seem to have simple goals - complain about everything, cause controversy, and try to make themselves look knowledgeable. The topic doesn't matter. Borderline trolls, but since they stay "on topic" they usually just come across as "Debbie Downers". Most don't have a clue about the subject.

I think Kat would do just fine on ovals. She has proven herself to be adaptable and capable in a number of series, often on second and third tier teams. I hope she at least gets an opportunity in Indy car

Anubis
24th April 2011, 12:50

Surely by your own logic they'd just be a danger in those series instead? To take things to the extreme, what about oval-centric drivers and road courses? Would you suggest that nobody can enter Indycar from an oval only background without first doing 100 starts in GP2? That would seem to be the conclusion to your argument, such as it is.

mileman
24th April 2011, 16:03
Regarding mastering ovals coming from a road racing background, there are certainly enough success and failure stories. Some of the extreme success has already been mentioned here with Nigel. He comes in "cold" in 1993 and wins the championship. That included four wins on ovals. (Milwaukee, Michigan, New Hampshire and Nazareth) Emmo, on the other hand, was just slightly better in average finishes on road courses - but did win the 500 a few times. He also picked up four wins at Nazareth - a short and fairly flat track. Great race drivers will adapt.

Junqueira fan
24th April 2011, 21:55
A couple of weeks ago Katherine wrote on facebook that she was close to securing a ride for Indy. It'll probably just be a one-off deal if it comes to fruition.

She seems to be putting a lot of effort into getting back into AOWR. I wish her all the best.

Marbles
25th April 2011, 02:28
I'm not comparing Katherine to anyone, but neither Zanardi nor Montoya had any oval experience before strapping into MUCH higher horsepower equipment than what Katherine would be getting into. And as best I recall, they did better than average on ovals. So if she can secure a decent ride, with a decent team and engineer, my guess is she'll do just fine.
jm2c

And let's not forget the oval rookie Mansell who schooled a few. And the bottom line is the TEAM. Schumacher and Bourdais look like pretty ordinary citizens this year. I like Legge (she has won races on the way up) and I don't think she'll be a rolling chicane if she has the equipment and I'll root for her for sure but there are so many other drivers I wish were in this series -- full time -- and worthy of a two page thread...

The bottom line is that Legge has as much credibility as half the field in Indycar now.

Haarrummpphhh...

call_me_andrew
25th April 2011, 03:49
Surely by your own logic they'd just be a danger in those series instead?

Right, but since those cars have lower top speeds, people are less likely to get hurt.

And it wouldn't take 100 GP2 starts to master road racing. Maybe a year divided between Indy Lights, Grand Am, and Star Mazda (if that's still around) would get a driver up to speed.

Anubis
25th April 2011, 17:45
Right, but since those cars have lower top speeds, people are less likely to get hurt.

And it wouldn't take 100 GP2 starts to master road racing. Maybe a year divided between Indy Lights, Grand Am, and Star Mazda (if that's still around) would get a driver up to speed.

No guarantee a lower speed series means less injury, look at Shame Hmiel then look at Mike Conway. Speed differential between cars could be an issue, but an orientation test would see to that. Your argument would've seen Mansell barred from the series despite being F1 World champion, yet some average mid-pack USAC or FIL guy given a free pass, which is plainly ludicrous. Would you ask Raikkonen to have a season in ARCA before he gets in the truck series? We're not talking about plucking someone off the street in an "America's next racing driver" TV scenario. Beyond Milka, who was just a liability, I can't recall anyone else being dangerously slow in recent memory. Baguette had some good runs on ovals in far from the best machinery, yet he came out of FR3.5, so are we suggesting he should've gone through a few seasons in FIL?

nigelred5
25th April 2011, 19:42

Jason Priestly might dispute that about lights.

Kat handled herself in Champcar, far better than half of the current field fillers in Indycar, and I'd venture to say she'd do better than the princess by the end of the year. The way she handled herself after the RA crash, I'd take her anyday.

vintage
25th April 2011, 20:59
Jason Priestly might dispute that about lights.

Kat handled herself in Champcar, far better than half of the current field fillers in Indycar, and I'd venture to say she'd do better than the princess by the end of the year. The way she handled herself after the RA crash, I'd take her anyday.

Saying she was "far better" is a stretch. She didn't accomplish much of anything in Champcar other than getting in a big crash.

Anubis
25th April 2011, 22:28
Saying she was "far better" is a stretch. She didn't accomplish much of anything in Champcar other than getting in a big crash.

Which, to be fair, was not of her making.

call_me_andrew
26th April 2011, 05:15
Would you ask Raikkonen to have a season in ARCA before he gets in the truck series?

That depends on where the truck series is racing. I recall a lot of people did not want NASCAR to let Jacques Villeneuve start his first stock car race in a Sprint Cup car at Talladega.

I am evil Homer
26th April 2011, 13:03
I see the 'non-oval' driver talk has arisen, perhaps fairly given some of the recent people who've been taking part. But it's also slightly wide of the mark to suggest Kat Legge, as a talented as she is, is near the skills of oval rookies such as Mansell, Montoya or Zanardi.

That said she'll do just fine if she gets a sem-decent team place secured, she certainly won't be some sort of mobile chicance that some are suggesting.

Anubis
26th April 2011, 14:42
That depends on where the truck series is racing. I recall a lot of people did not want NASCAR to let Jacques Villeneuve start his first stock car race in a Sprint Cup car at Talladega.

Ok, so we're back at some sort of "rookie" orientation situation rather than demanding several seasons in a lower formula, which was your original suggestion. Practice and qualifying ought to be enough to highlight any shortcomings. If there are concerns after those, simply disallow them from running. You make ovals sound like some black art that only the chosen few can master, but they're just another style of racing and any decently competent driver ought to be able to adjust. Let's flip your argument on its head and look at Michael Waltrip doing endurance GT races. Your logic would dictate we demand he compete in a season of lower level GT competition before being allowed to run 24 hour events like Spa and LeMans, as non-floodlit night racing in endurance GT cars is every bit as challenging as oval racing if it isn't your staple diet.

billiaml
26th April 2011, 14:54
I have to agree with you beachgirl. I'd also add that DP seems to be doing better on ovals -- especially Indy -- than on road courses. And, in NASCAR, she mainly races ovals.

Back to the original post on this thread, tho, I also like Kat -- and would love to see her back on this side of the pond. Unfortunately, the supply of good drivers exceeds that of sponsorship funding -- at least for the time being. Hopefully, things will turn around soon, though.

call_me_andrew
27th April 2011, 03:03
Ok, so we're back at some sort of "rookie" orientation situation rather than demanding several seasons in a lower formula, which was your original suggestion.

I didn't demand several seasons, I just demanded a certain number of races.

beachbum
27th April 2011, 03:57
I didn't demand several seasons, I just demanded a certain number of races.When you set up your own racing series, you can demand anything you like.

Anubis
27th April 2011, 16:09
I didn't demand several seasons, I just demanded a certain number of races.

This is what you said...

I would say 30-100 starts would be ideal.

Assuming a season of ~20 races, how exactly is a driver supposed to get to your desired level without racing in multiple, or the equivalent of multiple seasons? Are you suggesting they could make 100 oval starts in the course of one season, or am I missing something?

call_me_andrew
28th April 2011, 02:40
You do it by racing in multiple series in the same year.

EDIT: It's nothing Paul Tracey, Juan Montoya, Danica Patrick, Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Mark Martin, Kyle Busch, Sam Hornish, Jacky Ickx, Helio Castroneves, Carl Edwards, and dozens of other drivers haven't done.

beachgirl
28th April 2011, 03:20

EDIT: It's nothing Paul Tracey, Juan Montoya, Danica Patrick, Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Mark Martin, Kyle Busch, Sam Hornish, Jacky Ickx, Helio Castroneves, Carl Edwards, and dozens of other drivers haven't done.

Do not put Danica Patrick in that group. Until her management team decided to go after the big bucks, she drove nothing but Indycar, with three individual unsuccessful forays into endurance racing. She did 2 Rolex 24s, and not well, and one ALMS race where she wasn't allowed more than one stint because she was too slow. Check it in the records. To include her with the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya, AJ Foyt, Jim Clark, and the others just shows your total lack of respect for, and knowledge of, racing history.

vintage
28th April 2011, 05:22

I'm confused. Wasn't the # of starts supposed to be oval starts? If so, the only people that could race that often would be dirt/sprint/midget guys, and as everyone has said, the front engined car is nothing like a rear engined car. Is this a closet USAC fan pushing their agenda?

Anubis
28th April 2011, 12:59

You're getting silly now. Your examples may well have raced in more than one series in a given year, but if you can show me anyone who has made 100 starts (your upper limit) in a single season, I'd be amazed. That also have to be 100 relevant starts as well. Even something like 50 would be pushing it. I know there are guys racing in Trucks, Nationwide and Cup on a regular basis, but that wouldn't necessarily help with regard OWR on ovals, as it's such a different discipline, so you're looking at huge amounts of seat time in FIL. Factor in things like seat availability, sponsor demands and calendar clashes and there's no way on Earth your demands are ever going to be met.

Anubis
28th April 2011, 14:09
Do not put Danica Patrick in that group. Until her management team decided to go after the big bucks, she drove nothing but Indycar, with three individual unsuccessful forays into endurance racing. She did 2 Rolex 24s, and not well, and one ALMS race where she wasn't allowed more than one stint because she was too slow. Check it in the records. To include her with the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya, AJ Foyt, Jim Clark, and the others just shows your total lack of respect for, and knowledge of, racing history.

If anything, Danica actually disproves his theory, as she went to Nationwide with plenty of oval experience, but aside from one decent finish, has been pretty poor. Ditto the likes of Sam Hornish, come to think of it. Comes back to requiring relevant oval experience, rather than just any old oval experience. A quick look at IRL history shows that oval experience in and of itself isn't enough for OWR success.

beachbum
29th April 2011, 01:54
If anything, Danica actually disproves his theory, as she went to Nationwide with plenty of oval experience, but aside from one decent finish, has been pretty poor. Ditto the likes of Sam Hornish, come to think of it. Comes back to requiring relevant oval experience, rather than just any old oval experience. A quick look at IRL history shows that oval experience in and of itself isn't enough for OWR success.There are also the issues of talent and equipment. Danica is limited by the first and Sam was limited by the second.

The problem with all of these "requirements" is past results in one series or type of racing may not translate to another series or type of racing. There are way too many examples of failures with lots of "experience" and successes with limited experience. Talent can often trump experience. But until the driver actually straps in and gives a series a try, there is no sure fire way to predict how they will do.

Every racing series has some licensing procedures and requirements that have evolved over many years to try to weed out drivers who aren't qualified. It isn't a perfect process, but all series do their best.

call_me_andrew
29th April 2011, 03:21
A front engine car has four tires and a steering wheel.

A rear engine car has four tires and a steering wheel.

It's not really a big transition.

beachgirl
29th April 2011, 03:45

Do you say these things just to get a rise out of people, or are you really this dense? If you don't know how much of a transition it really is, you have obviously never raced either one, or even driven both on the street. Therefore, your premise is totally off the wall and invalid.

Phoenixent
29th April 2011, 06:07

This is the DUMBEST thing you have said yet......

Your analogy is just like saying the following

Cessna 172 has wings, fuselage, and a flight controls.

Lockheed F-22 has wings fuselage and flight controls.

It's not really a big transition for the 172 pilot to fly the F-22

Some of the greatest Sprint Car drivers have a terrible time trying to adjust their driving styles to work in a rear engine Indycar. Steve Kinser who is one of if not the Greatest sprint car driver tried Indy twice wrecked in practice in 1981 and wrecked during the race in 1997. The best sprint car driver the was able to transition from one to the other was Rich Vogler and even he had a hard time with rear engine cars.

That crack must be real good in Quakertown.....

Anubis
29th April 2011, 17:09

You've rather undermined your own argument there. You can't claim on the one hand that completely differing machinery isn't a big transition whilst on the other claiming a completely different track type is.

Nem14
30th April 2011, 01:21
I notice that on the blog it is Katherine, and not a shortened version of her first name.

call_me_andrew
30th April 2011, 05:23
Yeah, Steve Kinser won a lot of sprint car races. He beat the likes of Guy Nooneeverheardof, Slowpoke McGhee, and Obscure Driver Jr. Would you like to see the world's tallest midget?

And yes, track is way more important than machinery.

garyshell
30th April 2011, 07:05
Yeah, Steve Kinser won a lot of sprint car races. He beat the likes of Guy Nooneeverheardof, Slowpoke McGhee, and Obscure Driver Jr. Would you like to see the world's tallest midget?

And yes, track is way more important than machinery.

The hole just gets deeper and deeper.

Gary

beachbum
30th April 2011, 12:54

And yes, track is way more important than machinery.I think the link in the signature says it all "arguing around in circles"

Sooooo. If Jay Springsteen dominated dirt ovals like DuQuoin on 2 wheels, he should have been able to jump in a stock car on the exact same track and run competitively? Or Scott Russell, "Mr Daytona" on a motorcycle, should have been able to do the same in a sports car in the Rolex running the exact same track?

If you claim to be so knowledgeable about driver qualifications, you should know that Kinser was/is able to beat some of the best drivers of his era - many of whom were successful at Indy. He drives a car with four wheels and a steering wheel.

Keep digging that hole.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
- Plato

bzcam
7th May 2011, 22:19
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Kat will race at Indy in the 500 with Sarah Fisher Racing. Sarah's 2nd car is still TBA. Sarah and Kat were together at a cancer benefit several nights ago. Kat has been tweeting and hinting on her website that something is brewing. I think this is it. You heard it here first!

BZ

Scotty G.
8th May 2011, 04:19
Besides having breasts, what has Kat Legge ever done to to elicit a current Indy Car ride (besides win a couple of Atlantics races against the worst field of drivers in the history of mankind) and survive a horrible crash in Champ Car? Plus what has she done in the past few years in racing?

She has no business at Indy. She'd never qualify anyway this year.

If Sarah puts a 2nd car on the track, it will be with someone who has a chance of qualifying. Someone with experience. Someone who knows oval racing and Indy.

She tried the "rookie" thing with her 2nd car last year and it was a huge failure. Doubt she goes that way again.

Junqueira fan
8th May 2011, 16:47
She seems fairly adament that she's going to be racing an Indycar soon. She's apparently having merchandise made...

It seems to be somewhat of a optimistic front she's putting up however. I thought that if we didn't see her in St. Pete, we wouldn't see her until Indy and if we don't see her at Indy, I very much doubt we'll see her all year.

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2011, 05:32
With Scotty and Andrew around, I am glad I stopped in on this thread.

God help us, with you two ding dongs making the rules, we would have nothing.

Katherine Legge isn't the second coming of Ayrton Senna, Emmo Fittapaldi or Rick Mears. She did however win in Atlantics, and contrary to what people want to say, she did race some decent competition and with simliar equipment ran with with them. She raced hard, and passed people for leads, not using pit strategy to get finishes like Danica often has done.

So she gets to Champ Car and has so so machinery, survives a big wreck (she was running 5th at the time, not marking time on a road course) and eventually gets shuffled out of the mix. She has done little in DTM but with an old car and limited budget, that is the way things usually go.

So does she deserve a shot at Indy? Damn right she does, just as much as anyone else. At least I know who Kat is. Cant say I know who Charlie Kimball really is until this year. All this talk Andrew wants of having get schooled is the same neanderthal thinking that ran the sport into the ground. News flash Andy, Indy is unique, it has quirks and it is tough to WIN at but it isn't tough to learn to compete there. A competent driver in decent equipment is going to go fast and if the engineers are able to get the information they need, qualify at Indy. She might find racing there tough, but many great Sprint car guys went home beaten up bad by Indy also. The modern Indy car isn't any different on a lot of levels than what she was used to in CCWS. Less power, a little more balance. She will be fine if she gets a decent ride. If she can find the people who want to back her, and team willing to take her on, all power to her.

I am a Kat Legge fan, but I also know I am fan of her as a person first. I don't know how good a race driver she can be. I just know she wants to do it the right way, and it isn't like we don't know who she is. She is more a name than some of the no hopers that keep showing up. Hell, I bet she doesn't tear up as much machinery as half of Jimmy Vasser's outfit. Viso and company are hell on race cars....but they will be there.

Anubis
10th May 2011, 19:59
She has done little in DTM but with an old car and limited budget, that is the way things usually go.

Plenty of ex-F1 drivers have been decidedly average in DTM with much newer machinery, so I'd agree it's not a fair barometer. She's won in the accepted feeder series then hit a financial impasse. She's hardly the first driver to have that happen. We should be giving her credit for staying motivated, not slagging her off before she's even turned a wheel in anger.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2011, 18:54
Plenty of ex-F1 drivers have been decidedly average in DTM with much newer machinery, so I'd agree it's not a fair barometer. She's won in the accepted feeder series then hit a financial impasse. She's hardly the first driver to have that happen. We should be giving her credit for staying motivated, not slagging her off before she's even turned a wheel in anger.

There are some that will attack her only because she raced in Champ Car with a 2nd and 3rd rate operation and didn't always get results. Well, at Indy, on Sarah Fisher's team if she goes there I am not looking for great results, but I know it wont be Kat's fault for lacking talent. She has enough speed in her in my opinion to make the field.

bzcam
12th May 2011, 23:51
Oh well, no rookie orientation for Kat. Maybe next year.

BZ

bzcam
16th May 2011, 21:20
Kat announced a deal with Sam Schmidt Motorsports yesterday. Looks like a partial deal for 2011 and a full program for 2012. Way to go Kat! No ride for Indy this year but we may still see her on a road or street course before the season is over.

http://indycargarage.blogspot.com/2011/05/katherine-legge-talks-with-indycar.html

BZ

downtowndeco
17th May 2011, 01:55
First off yes, I'd like to see her in Indycar. She has a lot of fans and is a decent racer. No world beater, but decent. The more the merrier I say. But to be honest I think part of the reason so many of the CC fans got behind her was for one simple reason; she was not Danica. Or put another way, she was their Danica. Would she had gotten as much fan support if she would have decent driver named Karl instead of Kat? Probably not, and that's OK. You work with what you've got. Just keep things in perspective & be honest about it.

PS. As advised I've updated my "Ignore" list (this time for good) so if I don't respond it's because I'm trying to keep my blood pressure down, not because I don't have a witty reply for you. : )

Mark in Oshawa
18th May 2011, 18:34
First off yes, I'd like to see her in Indycar. She has a lot of fans and is a decent racer. No world beater, but decent. The more the merrier I say. But to be honest I think part of the reason so many of the CC fans got behind her was for one simple reason; she was not Danica. Or put another way, she was their Danica. Would she had gotten as much fan support if she would have decent driver named Karl instead of Kat? Probably not, and that's OK. You work with what you've got. Just keep things in perspective & be honest about it.

PS. As advised I've updated my "Ignore" list (this time for good) so if I don't respond it's because I'm trying to keep my blood pressure down, not because I don't have a witty reply for you. : )

Kat was Champ Car's Danica in the sense she was the first full time Female driver at the time Danica was coming to be the name. That said, Kat Legge won two races in Atlantic against a deeper field than Danica didn't win against in Atlantics. So just based on record in the "minors" one could point out Danica didn't deserve her ride as much as Katharine would deserve hers.

That all said, we all know why women racing drivers with less in the way of record get rides. It is the novelty and marketing angles being played. Racing is a business. If it was based on qualifications, half the field at Indy wouldn't be there on raw skill.

It aint fair, but it is racing. So all things being equal in this wacky world, most of us who watched Katharine Legge come up do think she has a place in Indycar racing. She is good people, and she isn't going to embarass herself. This isn't Milka Duno....