PDA

View Full Version : Albers?

seppefan
18th March 2007, 10:27
I know he is Dutch but what a dreadful performance. Asked Ant.

pino
18th March 2007, 10:30
Sorry but what nationality has to do with a racing performance ? :confused:

zoostation
18th March 2007, 11:29
put it into the wall in a rather lacklustre manner really. shame.

seppefan
18th March 2007, 11:44

Dutch driver, Dutch team.

jens
18th March 2007, 13:34
Last year Albers was quite promising and often fought against better cars, but at the moment Spyker is the last one. No wonder that a driver loses concentration in such a crap car.

We can only hope that Gascoyne & co can do something with the car. Drivers are not that bad as they look.

ArrowsFA1
18th March 2007, 13:39
A rather basic error though - missing your braking point while looking at something in the cockpit (according to an ITV interview).

N. Jones
18th March 2007, 16:58
I heard it was that he was adjusting his earplugs or something to that effect.
either way he broke late into the corner and stuffed it into the wall. No a great start to the season.

52Paddy
18th March 2007, 18:44
As jens says, the Spyker is one of the worst cars on the grid. I don't expect too much from Albers this year, giving the car he has to drive but I don't put that down to Albers himself. I've never heard of a case of earplugs falling out (or whatever it was went wrong with them) and certainly not to Albers. It would have caught him by surprise and occupied his mind. That slip in concentration made him miss the braking point and that was it...

When Louise Goodman briefly interviewed him, he didn't seem to show much concern. Sure, not the best way to start the year but I don't think he was on a road to anywhere anyway.

BeansBeansBeans
18th March 2007, 19:42
It's going to be a struggle for Spyker this season. Mike Gascoyne admitted before the season started that there was little point in developing the current chassis and that they will be spending all their resources developing the 2008 car.

Josti
18th March 2007, 20:26
Dutch driver, Dutch team.

That still doesn't really make sense to me :rolleyes:

Anyway, just a minor error of Albers. We couldn't expect much of him this race. Indeed, Spyker will have a tough year, being it that the Super Aguri's are almost equal to the Honda's and the Toro Rosso's to the Redbulls. For me, all good hopes will go to the new car, which I hope will make it's debut soon. I still think Albers is capable of good things. Last year, he showed his pace reguraly.

Heidfeldrulez
18th March 2007, 23:08
That still doesn't really make sense to me :rolleyes:

I think what he means to say with that Dutch thing is that, there is no way a a mediocre guy like Albers would be hanging around F1 for a 3rd year if it wasnt for a new Dutch team.

.... Last year, he showed his pace reguraly.

He never had a decent team-mate, so we really dont know. Safe to say he is no slouch tho.

.... Anyway, just a minor error of Albers.

Lets be honest there, it was a huge mistake, quite an ugly one really, unforced and dumb. (wonder how many f1 teamboss would call it minor :D ) Plus he did that while laping at a rather embarrassing pace (same embarrassing pace that he shown during Q1)

ClarkFan
19th March 2007, 00:47
A rather basic error though - missing your braking point while looking at something in the cockpit (according to an ITV interview).

Hmmm, that is about #1 in the racer's "Don't Do This Manual." I still don't know what the terminal speed for my car was on a lapping weekend last year at Putnam Park in Indiana. Was too busy looking for my braking point to look at the speedometer reading.

BTW, #2 is "Don't Use Something that Can Be Moved as Your Braking Point." There is a story at Mid-Ohio about Hans Stuck Jr. using a specific motor home as braking point year ago. Come race day and the owner was parked couple of spots closer to the corner. Stuck "had a moment." :eek:

ClarkFan

RJL25
19th March 2007, 12:16
when your in an absolutely rubbish car which he clearly is, the absolute MINIMUM is that you atleast finnish the damn race without crashing! Bad mistake by albers

It is still possible to impress in a rubbish car, if you can keep your lap times consistant and dont make any mistakes, other team bosses WILL notice. Thats how both Webber and Alonso made it out of a Minardi drive into more promising positions

Giuseppe F1
19th March 2007, 12:23
Did anyone else notice that in the Qualifying when Albers was eliminated and the TVs showed him in the garage walking behind his car and slamming down his gloves next to where his wife was standing, you could see the advertising banner panels in the pit garage and interestingly, one of them was MIDLAND GROUP.

Interesting they are still involved - hope it doesnt curse the teams fortunes going forwards :)

jens
19th March 2007, 13:23
It's going to be a struggle for Spyker this season. Mike Gascoyne admitted before the season started that there was little point in developing the current chassis and that they will be spending all their resources developing the 2008 car.

:up: That's probably the best decision they can make in current situation. They really have basically nothing to catch this season any more.

FreshF1
19th March 2007, 13:26
Did anyone else notice that in the Qualifying when Albers was eliminated and the TVs showed him in the garage walking behind his car and slamming down his gloves next to where his wife was standing, you could see the advertising banner panels in the pit garage and interestingly, one of them was MIDLAND GROUP.

Interesting they are still involved - hope it doesnt curse the teams fortunes going forwards :)

Interesting notice of yours :) . I'm thinking that if they decided to sell, they're not contributing too much in sponshorship money :) . So don't exprect too much support from them, IMO.

Let's see what Gascoyne will pull off. I wonder if it was his fauld at Toyota or if he really is as good as some say. We'll see. :)

52Paddy
19th March 2007, 14:15
Lets be honest there, it was a huge mistake, quite an ugly one really, unforced and dumb. (wonder how many f1 teamboss would call it minor :D ) Plus he did that while laping at a rather embarrassing pace (same embarrassing pace that he shown during Q1)

A huge mistake? His earplugs fell out and when that happens you don't exactly go on driving as normal. You're bound to think "Sh*t, I better fix that!" And in a moment of panic, before you know it, you're travelling too fast for the corner ahead. Unforced? It's not like it was all down to his fault. I think he would have been just fine if the plugs had not fallen out and I don't know how you can call it dumb. It's like if you're mobile phone rings in a road car, you're suddenly thinking about whether or not to answer it. If you don't, great, you're at not at risk of crashing. If you do, you will lose concentration in the same way Albers did. As for his laptimes, well, in the worst car on the grid, the lap times will prove embarresing. Ok his was, his fast lap was 2 seconds slower than his Sutil's but Sutil covered 56 laps where Albers did only 5. Lets see how he does in Malaysia. I may yet swallow my pride but I think you're being a bit hard on him with only round 1 behind us.

Schnell
19th March 2007, 14:38

Oh yes!...He couldn't have been a regular junior kart racer, as most of the top F1 drivers were...temprement is one thing we had to train in their junior careers, Lewis being a perfect example of a driver in control of his emotions!

Teenage temper tantrums at the kart track and in the junior car paddocks were the sign of a driver going nowhere career wise...unless they had rich daddies or wealthy blind backers!

If you've got time to fiddle with ear plugs...you're not concerntrating on driving, a well trained driver can blot out all distractions e.g. Anthony's back pain! Talking of which I hope Spyker give Sutil larger mirrors or checkout his peripheral vision by the next race!

Roamy
19th March 2007, 15:04

Boy this thread started out pretty "Cheesy" but now its better.

They obviously need to work on this chassis now or get the 2008 version out by mid season.

SteveA
19th March 2007, 15:17
A huge mistake? His earplugs fell out and when that happens you don't exactly go on driving as normal. You're bound to think "Sh*t, I better fix that!" And in a moment of panic, before you know it, you're travelling too fast for the corner ahead. Unforced? It's not like it was all down to his fault. I think he would have been just fine if the plugs had not fallen out and I don't know how you can call it dumb. It's like if you're mobile phone rings in a road car, you're suddenly thinking about whether or not to answer it. If you don't, great, you're at not at risk of crashing. If you do, you will lose concentration in the same way Albers did.

I seem to remember a few years ago, Button had a problem with his crash helmet trying to work its way off. He did quite a few laps steering with one hand, while he held is skid-lid on with the other - never lost concentration, and managed to keep his 2nd position until the end of the race.

zoostation
19th March 2007, 17:00
I seem to remember a few years ago, Button had a problem with his crash helmet trying to work its way off. He did quite a few laps steering with one hand, while he held is skid-lid on with the other - never lost concentration, and managed to keep his 2nd position until the end of the race.

very true, and a great performance. probs the first time that i thought that button might actually be a great driver. lol.

Nikki Katz
19th March 2007, 18:10
I wouldn't write him off quite yet, but it has to be said he was totally outperformed by Sutil that weekend, who didn't have a great time himself (driving into Davidson, failing to get out of the way of the race leaders). Not what I expected at all.

FreshF1
19th March 2007, 18:32
I wouldn't write him off quite yet, but it has to be said he was totally outperformed by Sutil that weekend, who didn't have a great time himself (driving into Davidson, failing to get out of the way of the race leaders). Not what I expected at all.

Sutil is still a kid. Let's give the kid a chance! It's only his first race. Well, if you compare him to another kid - Hamilton, then indeed he wasn't really shining :)

RJL25
20th March 2007, 01:20

yep, exactly. also mark webber finnished a race for williams either last year or the year before with a hole in his seat which was allowing hot air from the engine bay onto his back. Webber ended up with some pretty nasty burns on his behind as a result, his team was pouring big buckets of ice water into the cockpit at every pitstop, but the gutsy bastid finnished the race and didnt once throw his car off the circuit. If albers cant handle his earplugs falling out then whats the deal here?

W8&C
20th March 2007, 06:23
Sorry, but how could the earplugs fall out under a hopefully tight fitting helmet? And if that really occurs by a miracle, how would you fix that issue while racing? Trying to take off the helmet between two corners?

Sounds like a silly excuse to me.

52Paddy
21st March 2007, 15:17

Ok, point taken but I still don't think that Albers accident classifies as "dumb" or "stupid", at least not now. Both Button and Webber had more experience in F1 at the time of their events. Albers is still learning. Calling him dumb for this, I just find is a bit harsh given his short F1 career. It's all part of the learning process.

SteveA
21st March 2007, 15:29
Sorry, but how could the earplugs fall out under a hopefully tight fitting helmet? And if that really occurs by a miracle, how would you fix that issue while racing? Trying to take off the helmet between two corners?

Sounds like a silly excuse to me.

Brundell suggested that the wire could have got snagged in his seatbelt, hence getting pulled out as he moved around in the car.

gjalie
21st March 2007, 20:06
i thought he said in an interview afterwarts that do to the cable his head locked to the right and he couldn't move it to the left.

rickos
21st March 2007, 21:58
and who was it again who said this about Christijan Albers:

"A nasty, dirty driver." ?

Well, whoever he was who said that, he forgot to say that Albers stinks.

:s mokin:

gjalie
22nd March 2007, 18:51

what are you smoking? a dutch product and now you can't see clearly anymore?

rickos
12th July 2007, 02:28
what are you smoking? a dutch product and now you can't see clearly anymore?

Albers was washed up without getting dirty first.

... the ORACLE (JVi) never lies and he was right with his assessment of Albers.

ShiftingGears
12th July 2007, 03:06

Jacques Villeneuve said that.

rickos
12th July 2007, 03:23
Jacques Villeneuve said that.

...old news now but here is a link without having to say PLEASE.

http://www.tv.com/christijan-albers/person/550757/summary.html