pino
18th March 2007, 05:26
Who do you think it was ? Kimi, Hamilton, or Massa ? I go for Lewis :up:

Roamy
18th March 2007, 05:28
God as boring as it was Pino - Nico Rosberg was the star of the race

F1boat
18th March 2007, 05:32
Close between Kimi and Lewis, bith made fantastic race, but since Kimi is the first driver from decades to win his first race with Ferrari, I go for him :) But Lewis was amazing as well.
I also agree with Fousto about Nico being superb and Massa and Alonso were also very fast.

jas123f1
18th March 2007, 05:37
Hamilton was fantastic in his first race but Kimi had a BIG pressure from whole F1 world on his scolders. So my vote goes to Kimi. :)

jens
18th March 2007, 05:48
I'd vote for Hamilton - he matched Alonso incredibly well.

XSARA
18th March 2007, 06:08
Hamilton.

I concede that both Kimi and Massa were impressive; one scored a maiden win with his new team-the first win of the season, the other showed tremendous skill in working his way to the top ten, but nonetheless, my vote goes to Lewis. He did a fantastic job and I'm sure he can and will give these guys a run for their money. :up:

wmcot
18th March 2007, 06:46
Very hard to choose, but I went for Massa since he showed patience and maturity moving from 22 to 6. This is something I had not seen in him before. Reminded me of MS going 22nd to 5th at Monaco.

I was going to pick DC for his "pass" on Wurz! :)

Sulland
18th March 2007, 06:55
Hamilton for sure - Podium in his first race, leading in the process is impressive.

Just wait for the UK press hype to start. Poor guy. That destroyed Button for a for seasons, lets hope Dennis & team can help him keep his feet on the ground !

But an impressive debut race !!

Garry Walker
18th March 2007, 07:13
Massa

raikk
18th March 2007, 07:20
Hamilton for sure! And here I was predicting he would place 7th! God I'm such a plug!

LeonBrooke
18th March 2007, 07:46
Massa cut through the field impressively, but Hamilton... like wow.

Ari
18th March 2007, 08:47
MASSA for mine!

Hamilton second and Kimi third.

Viktory
18th March 2007, 08:52
Definately Hamilton in my opinion. Although both Kimi and Massa put in an excellent performance and are a close second and third.

AJP
18th March 2007, 09:22
Hamilton for me...

Never raced at Albert Park....First race in a F1 Grand Prix...and a podium. :)

Big thumbs up...can't wait to see what he can do on a circuit that he has already raced on.

Kimi was also super impressive and only just misses out on my vote...

TMorel
18th March 2007, 09:55
Hamilton did what I expected - Alonso failed to live up to my expectations.
Nico and Massa, so I guess with the limits of the poll it'll have to be Massa

I'm thinking along with Nico, we might need to add the BMW drivers on the poll in a few races though.

ArrowsFA1
18th March 2007, 10:18
Hamilton. No question. Anyone who matches the performance of a 2xWDC in the same car in their first GP is class.

Kimi drove a good race in the car which had the measure of everyone, as did Massa, but both those performances were to be expected.

Shalafi
18th March 2007, 10:34
Kimi AND Hamilton... both were really impressive. For me, Massa was a disappointment. Clearly with a fastest car he was surprisingly slow. He should of taken 4th place. Kimi said that he didnt have to push at all during the race and that he could of gone much quicker if necessary. Based on that, Massas speed was a real disappointing. No-one but blind Massa worshipper can say that he was a driver of the race or drove brilliantly. Very average performance by him.

Erki
18th March 2007, 10:43
Men and women of the race were those people who decided to go to sleep after the first 20 laps like me. Gosh, why did I wait that long?! :p :

pino
18th March 2007, 10:58
... Massa was a disappointment. Clearly with a fastest car he was surprisingly slow. He should of taken 4th place. Kimi said that he didnt have to push at all during the race and that he could of gone much quicker if necessary. Based on that, Massas speed was a real disappointing. No-one but blind Massa worshipper can say that he was a driver of the race or drove brilliantly. Very average performance by him.

Average performance ? :s You are joking...aren't you ? Did you forget that he started on back row, and got stuck behind Button and Rubens for many laps ? Anyway He managed to finish 6th and to me that was a great performance :up:

Shalafi
18th March 2007, 11:05
Average performance ? :s You are joking...aren't you ? Did you forget that he started on back row, and got stuck behind Button and Rubens for many laps ? Anyway He managed to finish 6th and to me that was a great performance :up:

No, Im not joking. Look at his lap times and compare those to Kimis who didnt have to push at all. And yes, he stuck behind Honda boys with a easily fastest car. If Nico can overtake Ralf with Williams, surely with Ferrari Massa should of overtaken the Honda boys. You have to consider machinery when counting the performance. Massas performance was a very average.

Ian McC
18th March 2007, 11:16
Hamiliton, looks like he has been driving that car for ages :D

aryan
18th March 2007, 12:14
Kimi did fine, many people have problems adjusting to a new team and a new car which supposedly "isn't designed for them" (Rubens last year?). Kimi just showed that a real racer is quick from the get go.

Hamilton though, was the class of the field. Never raced in F1 before, just 22 years of age, never raced in Albert Park, and he just matched his double WDC teammate and got himself a podium. That counts for something a little extra ordinary in my book.

Dave B
18th March 2007, 12:21
Hamilton, of course.

Kimi won, but you'd expect that especially given the pace of the Ferarri. Massa's charge through the field was class, but I can't help thinking he should have despatched the Hondas far earlier.

Alonso's drive was top notch, but what else would you expect from a double World Champion?

So Lewis it is. If you didn't know, you'd never have guessed that was his debut race. :up:

seppefan
18th March 2007, 12:47
and Ant. He was still in the car, two laps down, racing with a serious amount of back pain. Deserves a mention maybe for the wrong reason I accept but even so.....and Nico was hot.

baker
18th March 2007, 13:43
Lewis without a shadow of doubt. First GP, never raced on the circuit before, matched 2x WDC in quali and race and finished on the podium. Absolutley stunning peformance.

Honourable mention to Kimi for winning on his debut with Ferrari.

donKey jote
18th March 2007, 14:23
What the Brock said :up: :)

haokunnan
18th March 2007, 14:53
Hamilton is a big surprise but not as good as Kimi.

ATF
18th March 2007, 15:29
Hamilton, of course.

Kimi won, but you'd expect that especially given the pace of the Ferarri. Massa's charge through the field was class, but I can't help thinking he should have despatched the Hondas far earlier.

Alonso's drive was top notch, but what else would you expect from a double World Champion?

So Lewis it is. If you didn't know, you'd never have guessed that was his debut race.

I agree 100% - Kimi was the fastest driver in the fastest car, you would expect him to win. Massa could have finished higher but like you say, he wasted too long behind the Hondas.

Hamilton did a superb job, just behind the two best drivers in the world! Credit should also go to Heidfeld and Kubica for their performances and as fousto says - Nico Rosberg.

akv89
18th March 2007, 17:37
Massa wasn't extremely impressive. It is true that 22nd to 6th is quite a performance but he had a car that could have been able to even challenge for the podium. The reason I say this is because of Massa's pace throughout the race, even when he had a clear track ahead of him. For example, there were times around lap 40 when he had a clear track and was going at a pace that was 3 to 4 seconds slower than Raikkonen's. Kimi's fastest lap was 1:25.235, more than a second faster than second place Alonso. On the other hand, Massa's fastest lap was only the 8th fastest lap in the race at 1:27.044. I didn't hear Massa say that he had any problems with his car during any of his interviews, that would explain his lack of pace.
That said, my driver of the race is Hamilton. First race, first time at Albert Park, and he comes 3rd and even outraces the double world champion on occasion.

akv89
18th March 2007, 17:39
double post

race aficionado
18th March 2007, 18:21
Hamilton

:)

Giuseppe F1
18th March 2007, 19:33
Man of the race for me has to be Lewis with Kimi a VERY, VERY close second.

Move of the race for me HAS TO go to Rosberg on Ralf

jso1985
18th March 2007, 19:43
Raikkonen did what he was expected to do
Massa did good but this wasn't the first time someone went from 22th to 6th with a top car.
but Hamilton managed to be at the pace of the current world champion and got a podium on his debut
so my vote goes to Lewis!

Sleeper
18th March 2007, 21:35
Hamilton, supurb debut. Kimi had a very strong race on his Ferrari debut but wasnt really pushed at all.

But why is Massa in the poll? He had a solid race from dead last but Rosberg was far more impressive.

slinkster
18th March 2007, 21:50
got to be Lewis :)

Andrea
18th March 2007, 21:59
I hate to be controversial because being a Brit I should go for Hamilton, but Kimi was my man of the race.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th March 2007, 22:02
Rosberg?- managed to lap at the same pace of the McLarens :up:

Kimi was faultless all race, Hamilton was incredible at his first ever corner in a Formula 1 race, going around the outside of 2 cars. RB also did well in the Honda to beat JB by so much.

:eek: Andrea is back :eek: :s hock:

stevie_gerrard
18th March 2007, 22:47
Hamilton just, for the fact its his first race and he was so composed to nearly beat his own teammate and 2 times World Champion, that is some real guts shown there! wont be long till his first race win i wouldnt have thought! :D

Heidfeldrulez
18th March 2007, 23:27
yea Massa did what was expected IMO, i wouldnt call it an average drive but it wasnt amazing either. he got by far the best car run the half race distance on soft compound. I think he spent a bit too long behind cars like the Hondas (who were massive seconds slower than him) Also, he was way faster than Fisi (removed a 5sec gap in about 3 laps) yet he failed to pull a move on him. All in all a good race but nothing special.

Rosberg would deserve a slot in this poll more than Massa IMO, but the man of race was without a doubt Lewis, outstanding stuff.

Ari
19th March 2007, 00:42
Massa for mine!!

oh and...
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9738/horrendousay0.jpg

Ninse
19th March 2007, 08:00
Itīs very clear for me, Hamilton has been in a place that very few people waits for this first race.

Ranger
19th March 2007, 08:39
Hamilton was scarily quick.

But it has to go to Kimi. Pole, Fastest Lap and the win. :up:

Can't do better than that.

pino
19th March 2007, 08:56
I've added him on the poll, if anyone want to change his vote please let me know by PM or by posting in here. Sorry for not adding him in the first place :)

pino

Ian McC
19th March 2007, 09:06
I hate to be controversial because being a Brit I should go for Hamilton, but Kimi was my man of the race.

Welcome back Andrea :wave:

janneppi
19th March 2007, 09:09
My vote goes to Hamilton, apart one small mistake he drove a good, mature race.
Kimi didn't really do anything out of the ordinary, Massa really should have tried to be more agressive and i won't vote Rosberg, ever. :D

SGWilko
19th March 2007, 11:04
I think Massa is coming under some very unjustified criticism here. We should not forget that he was quite probably fuelled to brimming, and that will explain why he could not match Kimi's pace, or get passed the Hondas as quickly as he could.

Also, was he not on a one stopper, and as he had to use both tyre compounds, I am sure that they were pretty ropey come the end of his stints.

But hey, I think Hamilton was VERY impressive. An excellent start, composed throughout the weekend, and he lead the race too, don't forget.

I would also vote for Nico, really shone out there in the race, and a great move on Ralf. I really hope Williams start to come good this year.

Davidson also deserves a mention, for is practice times, just a shame he could not replicate that in qualifying.

FreshF1
19th March 2007, 13:23
Itīs very clear for me, Hamilton has been in a place that very few people waits for this first race.
I agree. While everyone expected Kimi to deliver, it's not necessarily true for Lewis. He almost took second place! I couldn't beleive he was keeping Alsonso at bay.

W8&C
19th March 2007, 18:30
My feeling said that Hamilton will have a really good race, I expected Raikkonen to dominate, and Massaīs drive to 6th was nothing special, regarding that he had the best car on the grid. So to my surprise I have to vote for Rosberg, whom I really didnīt rate high after last years season.

leopard
20th March 2007, 04:24
Lewis Hamilton was obviously the man of the race, a totally new driver overshoots my prediction and many people, and how he was constantly driving the car only with minor correction.

I am not sure that was right Ron called him into the pit too late - playing so called conservative strategy - to enable Alonso took his place thereafter, Once Alonso got out of Hamilton's car he could make the gap to the race leader closer, but it was too late. As usual, Alonso doesn't do anything dramatically; he tends to do anything consistently.

As a new debutant, insisting to drive at the same pace in front of senior driver that is also a reigning champion i don't think it was totally right, except if he can significantly with a marked difference to be in front, I wouldn't mind if he keep his position and keep challenge for the better place.

The whole performance of McLaren, in term of speed and reliability, has increased significantly, what a lovely race and seems to be for the whole season.

ten-tenths
20th March 2007, 06:19
i got to say it was a tie between hamilton who was absolutly brilliant in his maiden race and kimi who must have had tremendous pressure put upon his shoulder trying to replace shumi. i feel massa had a great result but if it was kimi or alonso in his shoes, i have a feeling they would have finished with a better result. actually who is to say, massa put in stunning times all weekend before quali. i can't wait to see how massa answers back in the next GP.

bottom line i gave my vote to kimi

i must say the race itself was quite a snoozer but the backstories between teammates is drama at its best so far.

PSfan
21st March 2007, 07:37
I was gonna vote for Rosberg, until I noticed that Massa had managed what I thought impossible... run a one stopper with the new tire rules.

Nikey
21st March 2007, 11:04
Though Hamilton was clearly the biggest (positive) suprise of the race, Kimi was clearly the "man of the race". And thatīs what this thread is all about, isnīt it?

Valentino Rossi Boy
21st March 2007, 11:54
Hamilton was the man of the race

DimitraF1
21st March 2007, 14:51
kimi is the man

Tomi
21st March 2007, 14:58
Kimi for me too, if Hamilton would have been able to beat his team mate, I would have choosen him.

pino
21st March 2007, 21:47
Kimi for me too, if Hamilton would have been able to beat his team mate, I would have choosen him.

Hamilton did beat his team-mate ;)

EuroTroll
21st March 2007, 21:54

Sutil? :)

Garry Walker
21st March 2007, 22:26
Due to team-orders he actually didnt.

Ian McC
21st March 2007, 22:47
Due to team-orders he actually didnt.

Oh dear, here we go already :rolleyes:

tstran17_88
22nd March 2007, 01:58
Kimi. He did something he couldn't do all last year...win.

webliams
22nd March 2007, 03:29
I'll say it a close between kimi and heildfeld,

heildfeld tried something different, kimi did what was expected.

don't think massa used the car to it's potential, if the cars so fast why wait for people to pit and pass them then, bad move I reckon.

my opinion is Hamilton held Alonso up, Hamilton did well for what it was but he's in the second best team, he's done a lot of testing miles and in the past we've seen rookie drivers do well (i.e. kubica, rosburg) the difference is the car and were there positioned on the grid. Alonso came in first but I believe it's only because of traffic. Alonso had more fuel, his pit stop time show this unless mclaren had slow pit stops for Hamilton.

the race was boring, it could of been different if Alonso wasn't blocked by the bmw at the start to push him back to 4th, he might of pushed kimi but we'll never know.