PDA

View Full Version : 888 down to one car?

Alfa Fan
9th April 2011, 17:33
Looks like Tony Gilham's seasons coming to an early end!

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/p_12/Article/a_12930/Touring_car_season_at_risk_for_Gilham_after_sponso r_pulls_out

DazzlaF1
9th April 2011, 17:51
That would be devastating for him, three top 10 finishes on his debut, he'll hopefully find a sponsor in time.

Its a horrible reminder of what happened to Phil Glew last year after he had a similaraly good debut weekend

AndySpeed
9th April 2011, 18:00
Your thread title highlights what could happen in the worst-case scenario, not what has actually happened.

Does anyone know which sponsor has pulled out? Naturally it's not mentioned as they don't want the negative coverage, but I'm curious.

Alfa Fan
9th April 2011, 18:39
"We need something to happen before Donington so we can even be there."

Which means they won't be out without more sponsorship. I think my title is fair!

Allyc85
9th April 2011, 19:47
No way, he was brilliant at Brands and obviously gives companies good exposure with that livery. Fingers crossed he can get something sorted!

MrJan
11th April 2011, 09:13
That would be devastating for him, three top 10 finishes on his debut, he'll hopefully find a sponsor in time.

Its a horrible reminder of what happened to Phil Glew last year after he had a similaraly good debut weekend

Yeah I remember seeing Phil Glew have a cracking race 1, only to be ignored by teams/sponsors etc.

PDS
11th April 2011, 13:14
Yeah I remember seeing Phil Glew have a cracking race 1, only to be ignored by teams/sponsors etc.

Not as good as Giovanardi's weekend!!!!

Now you know why so many teams and drivers leave their announcements late.. Not until they have the money..

MrJan
11th April 2011, 13:18
Not as good as Giovanardi's weekend!!!!

Actually I'd argue that it was better. Gio was in a car that he knew (pretty much) and a discipline that he's extremely familiar with, alongside drivers he knows. Glew on the other hand was new to the class, and I personally thought his performance was more impressive because of that.

AndySpeed
11th April 2011, 14:07

In a lot of jobs, it's not always about what you know but who you know. That's why networking is so hugely important. Same applies to sponsorship...

PDS
11th April 2011, 19:34
Actually I'd argue that it was better. Gio was in a car that he knew (pretty much) and a discipline that he's extremely familiar with, alongside drivers he knows. Glew on the other hand was new to the class, and I personally thought his performance was more impressive because of that.

I don't disagree with that at all. I think Phil is a great driver. He has just had poor sponsor support all through his racing career even back in his ff days. His ability as a driver is to be admired. He had a great result when he did a one-off drive for Motorbase, winning his class. And without his sponsor issues could have been in one of the top BTCC teams long ago.

My point was that Giovanardi would br more of a crowd puller than Glew, that's all. I was not knocking his driving ability..

BDunnell
11th April 2011, 23:31

And I would say that Daniel Lloyd's performance at Croft last year, in a car equally new to him, was even more impressive. It's a great shame that he's not out there in 2011.

PDS
12th April 2011, 19:56
If someone (here's a job for AlfaFan) made a list of all the potential 'Good drivers' that have missed out on a drive in the BTCC. Most of you would be amazed!

Alfa Fan
12th April 2011, 22:12
If someone (here's a job for AlfaFan) made a list of all the potential 'Good drivers' that have missed out on a drive in the BTCC. Most of you would be amazed!

It's amazingly long. Just for starters Jonathan Fildes, Paul Rivett, Stefan Hodgetts, Gavin Pyper, Oli Wilkinson, and there's many many more!

PDS
12th April 2011, 23:41
yes you are right... some people here think it only happens to a few???

Iain
13th April 2011, 00:24
I think most of the frontrunners in the seat cupra field from the first two seasons, plus there's all the promising clio drivers too from that time. Only the likes of shedden, huff and onslow-cole have had any luck.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

tisme
13th April 2011, 01:31
Only the likes of shedden, huff and onslow-cole have had any luck.

I'm not sure i'd agree with TOC for this season.. lets face it with more money he would be in an airwaves ford instead of running round the back in a VW!

Allyc85
13th April 2011, 15:27
One that gets me is Carl Breeze, how the hell is he not in the BTCC after being bloody good at everything he drives?!

Anyway Gilham has got some sponsorship and will be out this weekend, which is great news :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90676

Eurotech
13th April 2011, 22:47
Another driver who never managed to get a full season (amazing but true if you think about it) is Gareth Howell...

Alfa Fan
13th April 2011, 23:53
Yep. 18 out of 20 in 2002, 10 out of 20 in 2003 (in two teams), 0 out of 30 in 2004 (despite testing at media day!), 9 out of 30 in 2005, 12 out of 30 in 2006, 15 out of 30 in 2007, 6 out of 30 in 2008.

PDS
14th April 2011, 21:26
Another driver who never managed to get a full season (amazing but true if you think about it) is Gareth Howell...

Unfortunately Gareths downfall was not entirely down to lack of sponsors.

Did you know that Mike Conway's dad sponsored Gareth?

Alfa Fan
15th April 2011, 16:23
And I would say that Daniel Lloyd's performance at Croft last year, in a car equally new to him, was even more impressive. It's a great shame that he's not out there in 2011.

He is however a front-runner in the VW Scirocco Cup so hasn't been completely left on the sidelines!