View Full Version : Donald Trump to drive Indy 500 Pace Car

call_me_andrew
7th April 2011, 06:20
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110405/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_indy500_trump

The Donald is driving a convertible! Get ready for more of this:

35vyxbiWIn4

garyshell
7th April 2011, 06:33
Except he will be wearing a helmet. My hope is in practice he spins the car out and doesn't have the balls to get back in it. What a tool. Why the hell is he in the car and not a former driver? This is the 100th anniversary. What does this blowhard jerk have to do with the 100th Anniversary?

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
7th April 2011, 07:50
Even Gordon Ramsay would have been a better option. (He'll be the grand marshall at Long Beach.) He is a worldwide celebrity and a very cool guy. Who's this Donald Trump anyway? Reading the Wikipedia article, I cannot fathom why he was chosen by IMS. A rich business magnate who keeps going about Obama's birth status and wants to run for president? Are really businesspeople and politicians are the type of celebrities people want to see? Is there such a thing as a pace car ride buyer?

Chris R
7th April 2011, 12:48
I second both of the above threads.... that the driver is not Foyt, Mears or Unser Sr. is a disgrace

NickFalzone
7th April 2011, 14:07
I like Trump and agree with this politics. As far as driving the 500 pace car, it doesn't bother me any more than having guys like Mark Wahlberg or other celebrities out there doing the same thing. As a possible Presidential candidate, I think it might add some more attention to the 500 this year. I like the idea of Foyt or Mears doing it, but they're at nearly every race anyway, it's not like bringing them out of retirement to show up for the 500.

Mightyreds
7th April 2011, 19:34
Is there any more meaningless position than pace car driver. Whatever gets the most publicity is the only relevant factor.

Chris R
7th April 2011, 19:41
Ask the 1972(73??) folks who were run over by the pace car about the importance of having someone with a clue behind the wheel... (although fundamentally, I agree with you - I just think this one is a little over the top though - especially for the centennial year race - it should be a racer (or someone who is important to/interested in racing in there at least this year...) Put Letterman or Jay Leno out there if you want star appeal at least they are car guys.....

DBell
7th April 2011, 19:54
The racer in me would like Foyt, but I understand that trying to get celebrity gives publicity opportunities and the sport needs to take advantage of any they can get. But Trump? I don't see what this guy really adds in star power. Many like him, but just as many think he's a buffoon. I like the idea of Leno or Letterman. They would talk about it all the time on their nightly shows and both really do enjoy racing and cars.

If they are going to go this way, then maybe Randy could really score a coup. Get President Obama at Indy and he could tape a copy of his birth certificate to a pit board and show it to Trump as he drives by. :s mokin:

NickFalzone
7th April 2011, 20:29
The racer in me would like Foyt, but I understand that trying to get celebrity gives publicity opportunities and the sport needs to take advantage of any they can get. But Trump? I don't see what this guy really adds in star power. Many like him, but just as many think he's a buffoon. I like the idea of Leno or Letterman. They would talk about it all the time on their nightly shows and both really do enjoy racing and cars.

If they are going to go this way, then maybe Randy could really score a coup. Get President Obama at Indy and he could tape a copy of his birth certificate to a pit board and show it to Trump as he drives by. :s mokin:

Lol you mean the birth certificate he has yet to produce, and has spent over 2 million to fight in lawsuits for not providing it? Honestly I wouldn't even care, but for the fact that he's sucked so much as a President and maybe this could kick his butt out early.

call_me_andrew
8th April 2011, 02:54
Lol you mean the birth certificate he has yet to produce, and has spent over 2 million to fight in lawsuits for not providing it?

He means this one. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

Ask the 1972(73??) folks who were run over by the pace car about the importance of having someone with a clue behind the wheel... (although fundamentally, I agree with you - I just think this one is a little over the top though - especially for the centennial year race - it should be a racer (or someone who is important to/interested in racing in there at least this year...) Put Letterman or Jay Leno out there if you want star appeal at least they are car guys.....

I agree that the 500's pace car driver should be a celebrity, but it's important that the driver has some competence.

Also I'm still pissed at Leno over that Conan fiasco.

NickFalzone
8th April 2011, 03:15
He means this one. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

I don't know what FactCheck.org is but they're simply wrong on this one. What has been put forward is a "Certificate of Birth" which is not the same as a Birth Certificate. In fact, this Certificate cannot even be used as a proof of ID by state or federal agencies, such as the DMV. It is a useless document. That, plus a newspaper mention, does still not fulfill the requirement of actually having a Birth Certificate. Why the actual Birth Certificate has not been presented is hard to know. Maybe it simply got lost at the time of birth. Lacking this document does not mean he was born outside this country. But it's a key requirement of becoming President that you are a citizen of the US, and with this president, that requirement has not been fulfilled. If I went to my DMV with a newspaper article and a "Certificate of Birth", they would not consider those to be valid proof of ID. They would request my actual "Birth Certificate" along with my social security card (another document of Obama's that is odd, as he has a Connecticut SS#). So the same should be required of our President.

garyshell
8th April 2011, 04:38
I don't know what FactCheck.org is but they're simply wrong on this one. What has been put forward is a "Certificate of Birth" which is not the same as a Birth Certificate. In fact, this Certificate cannot even be used as a proof of ID by state or federal agencies, such as the DMV. It is a useless document. That, plus a newspaper mention, does still not fulfill the requirement of actually having a Birth Certificate. Why the actual Birth Certificate has not been presented is hard to know. Maybe it simply got lost at the time of birth. Lacking this document does not mean he was born outside this country. But it's a key requirement of becoming President that you are a citizen of the US, and with this president, that requirement has not been fulfilled. If I went to my DMV with a newspaper article and a "Certificate of Birth", they would not consider those to be valid proof of ID. They would request my actual "Birth Certificate" along with my social security card (another document of Obama's that is odd, as he has a Connecticut SS#). So the same should be required of our President.

Take it somewhere else, and take the Donald with you. This is precisely why it was a STUPID idea to even suggest this guy as the pace car driver. He is divisive, we don't need another division in the fan base. A truely STUPID move on the part of the folks at 16th and Georgetown.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
8th April 2011, 16:44
Take it somewhere else, and take the Donald with you. This is precisely why it was a STUPID idea to even suggest this guy as the pace car driver. He is divisive, we don't need another division in the fan base. A truely STUPID move on the part of the folks at 16th and Georgetown.

Gary

THE Donald to Gary: "You're Fired !!!" LOL

Leo Krupe
9th April 2011, 02:09
Donald Trump's an idiot.

Now, to the related idiocy of the birth certificate vs certificate of live birth debate.

In fact, this Certificate cannot even be used as a proof of ID by state or federal agencies, such as the DMV. It is a useless document.
I'd like to know where you got this information, and if it's a useless document, why issue it?

I think you've been drinking too much tea and not thinking for yourself enough.

Donald Trump is also a publicity seeking egomaniacal windbag whose sole interest is himself. He said in one interview that we would not believe what his investigators in Hawaii were finding out about Obama. The trouble is, he hasn't said what that is. If in fact he has strong evidence, or even outright proof of these idiotic birther claims, he has the responsibility to show it now before any more damage is done. I predict it'll fizzle like Al Capone's vault.

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2011, 05:07
I love the Donald's chutzpah. I think personally it is a great thing to have him driving the pace car. First off, love him or hate him, people will talk about him. The man is a show man, and a master promoter. Since they gave up putting anyone BUT celebs behind the wheel of the pace car in the last few years, does it really matter if they put him in the car or Jay Leno (he has done it already)? I suspect not. Every celeb has his/her fans and detractors. AT least with the Donald, everyone knows who he is, and if he ever decided to put his money into racing, no one would complain...

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2011, 05:09
As for his attacks on Obama, I find it quite amusing....Obama hasn't really answered any of those questions, and I suppose he shouldn't have to. Donald though just asks the relevent question, why all the work to not produce something? Personally, I think Obama is from Hawaii. I don't doubt it for a second, but it is fun watching him and Donald on opposite sides..makes for great theatre!

mileman
10th April 2011, 05:04
Trump is an idiot, blowhard, egomaniac - who now fancies himself an idiot, blowhard, politician. why on earth would the IRL want to salute the 100th anniversary with this sort of sideshow? Let it be an accomplished driver - please!! (Mears, Foyt, Big Al...)

ShiftingGears
10th April 2011, 07:15
Comes off as desperate and ridiculous, to be honest.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2011, 07:57
Mileman, they haven't had a real driver pace the 500 in years. Why would they start now?

Trump will get them some PR hits and he will promote his apperance. This is a sell out flat out, and if this series wasn't driven so far into the ditch, desperate measures wouldn't be required...

Jag_Warrior
10th April 2011, 21:53
Trump will get them some PR hits and he will promote his apperance. This is a sell out flat out, and if this series wasn't driven so far into the ditch, desperate measures wouldn't be required...

This^^^

Attention: Donald craves it... Indy needs it.

Donald Trump was this country's (male) Paris Hilton before Paris Hilton was even born. He's been one of the world's great attention wh*res for decades now - and let's be honest: he's good at it. Love him or hate him, this series could learn a lot about business and branding from Trump. Heck, back in the 80's, he was the first "billionaire" to (really) be worth a couple hundred million. But I don't think the country could learn much from him about debt management. As a project manager, he rivals Roger Penske. But as a debt/risk manager, he looks more like Kevin Kalkhoven.

Who knows, maybe he'll enjoy himself enough in the pace car that he'll sponsor a car. As long as someone else will pay for the sponsorship and decals... he might do it. Plus The Donald is a really, really, really smart guy. Don't believe me? Just ask him. He'll tell ya! :p :

Nikki Katz
11th April 2011, 20:02
Trump's one of those people that's amusingly bad, I love the US version of The Apprentice for its sheer naffness, and cringe every time he talks (or yells). He's obviously talented or he wouldn't be a self-made billionaire after being bankrupted so many times, but the he does have a bit of a tendancy to concrete over things first and think later - he is currently trying to destroy a nature reserve in Scotland, which is part of why he's not overly loved in the UK.

I don't really care that he's driving the car at the 500, he probably paid quite a lot for it, and the series could do with some money. It'd be nice so see Andretti or someone in the car, but it's not like he's racing.

garyshell
11th April 2011, 20:15
The story I saw said something about him being taken aback when he found out he wasn't getting paid to show up. Typical for this butt wipe.

Gary

anthonyvop
11th April 2011, 20:36
The story I saw said something about him being taken aback when he found out he wasn't getting paid to show up. Typical for this butt wipe.

Gary

Wow!

Seriously?

That is deserving of such an Insult?

Do you have any idea how many appearance request a person like Donald Trump gets? Do you have any idea the value of his time?
You do realize that the IMS is a For Profit business don't you? An invite to a celeb for the Indy 500 is part of their marketing and their event. IMS will gain from it..why shouldn't he?
I am not a Fan of "the Donald" but to insult him for wanting to be paid for his "celebrity" is pretty silly and naive on your part.

anthonyvop
11th April 2011, 20:39
Trump is an idiot,

He is? So when you make your first $Billion.

garyshell
11th April 2011, 21:40
I am not a Fan of "the Donald" but to insult him for wanting to be paid for his "celebrity" is pretty silly and naive on your part.

The only naiveté being exhibited here is your thinking that this is the only reason why I am calling him a butt wipe.

Gary

anthonyvop
12th April 2011, 02:05
The only naiveté being exhibited here is your thinking that this is the only reason why I am calling him a butt wipe.

Gary

What other form of jealousy makes you feel that way?

garyshell
12th April 2011, 04:36
What other form of jealousy makes you feel that way?

So you think jealousy is the only reason why some folks have disdain for someone else? Maybe that's what drives you, but for me it's about his political B.S. among other things. Specifically, regarding his politics it's the birther crap. Beyond that it's his pompous attitude, as compared to folks like Warren Buffet and others who could buy and sell him out of pocket and who have a grounded self realization. Not that you really cared, you really only wanted to kick a little sand as usual. Yawn.

Gary

anthonyvop
12th April 2011, 14:13
So you think jealousy is the only reason why some folks have disdain for someone else? Maybe that's what drives you, but for me it's about his political B.S. among other things. Specifically, regarding his politics it's the birther crap. Beyond that it's his pompous attitude, as compared to folks like Warren Buffet and others who could buy and sell him out of pocket and who have a grounded self realization. Not that you really cared, you really only wanted to kick a little sand as usual. Yawn.

Gary

So it is jealousy or do you just find it amusing to insult people who you disagree with politically?

garyshell
12th April 2011, 16:14
My, my, my someone is really struggling with some pretty simple English. Both questions were already answered.

So it is jealousy

So you think jealousy is the only reason why some folks have disdain for someone else? Maybe that's what drives you, but for me it's about his political B.S. among other things.

and

or do you just find it amusing to insult people who you disagree with politically?

Beyond that it's his pompous attitude, as compared to folks like Warren Buffet and others who could buy and sell him out of pocket and who have a grounded self realization.

Somehow though, I think you already saw and just chose to ignore what had been previously written. Not really surprising.

Gary

anthonyvop
12th April 2011, 17:58
My, my, my someone is really struggling with some pretty simple English. Both questions were already answered.

and

Somehow though, I think you already saw and just chose to ignore what had been previously written. Not really surprising.

Gary

So it is Jealousy then!!! Glad to have that cleared up.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th April 2011, 18:42
I envy Anthony's logic. If I had that, I could prove everything I wanted!

garyshell
12th April 2011, 21:52
So it is Jealousy then!!! Glad to have that cleared up.

Thanks Anthony, you never fail to deliver a good laugh. Still struggling with the written word I see. But then again, giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you didn't even bother to read the reply again.

Whatever...

Gary

bugeyedgomer
14th April 2011, 15:58
Except he will be wearing a helmet. My hope is in practice he spins the car out and doesn\'t have the balls to get back in it. What a tool. Why the hell is he in the car and not a former driver? This is the 100th anniversary. What does this blowhard jerk have to do with the 100th Anniversary?

Gary
calm down
This isnt the 100th anniversary; it is the 99th anniversary

Dr. Krogshöj
27th April 2011, 16:26
Seems like the pace car driver got what he wanted: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/27/trump-proud-honored-obama-released-birth-certificate/
By the way, did President Obama accept the invitation to the Indy 500?

Jag_Warrior
30th April 2011, 03:45
Uh oh! See what happens when a man who lives in a glass house runs around throwing rocks? Looks like we may have a draft dodger in the Indy 500 pace car on Memorial Day weekend!

garyshell
5th May 2011, 18:25
Oh no he isn't!!! Dump the Trump worked:

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/auto_racing/indycar/speedway-considers-bumping-donald-trump

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
5th May 2011, 20:48
You're fired! Anyway, a few more mentions of the Indy 500 in the mainstream media, so the whole excercise was executed perfectly. I wonder if starting the Facebook pressure group was in Randy's script as well?

Leo Krupe
6th May 2011, 00:32
But on Thursday, Trump told IMS officials that as he considers running for president of the U.S., he thought it would be inappropriate to drive the pace car.
That's the biggest bunch of BS I've come across since the last time I ran through a cow pasture trying to tip over cows.

chuck34
6th May 2011, 12:38
That's the biggest bunch of BS I've come across since the last time I ran through a cow pasture trying to tip over cows.

Why is him stepping away for that reason BS? I completely agree with him, if he is going to run for President (and God I hope he does not), then it would most certainly be inappropriate for him to drive the pace car. With the election laws the way they are, IMS may have been forced to have every other candidate run a few laps in order to have "equal time". Besides all that, he's just an @ss. I agree with many that it should be a driver. Foyt, Mears, Unser Sr all spring to mind. I also saw someone suggest the oldest living winner. I have no idea who that is, any ideas?

Chris R
6th May 2011, 13:27
Foyt, Mears, Unser Sr all spring to mind. I also saw someone suggest the oldest living winner. I have no idea who that is, any ideas?

I think it is Jim Rathmann, there is a good chance Foyt is the second oldest winning driver now although it could be Parnelli.....

Chris R
6th May 2011, 13:31
Jim Rathmann - 1928
Parnelli Jones - 1933
Bobby Unser - 1934
AJ Foyt 1935
Gordon Johncock - 1937
Johnny Rutherford - 1938
Al Unser Sr. 1939
Mario - 1940

Will Rogers
6th May 2011, 13:36
No one who's been alive and awake for the past 30 years thinks that Trump decided he shouldn't drive the pace car if he was going to run for President. After last weeks' White House Corresponden't Dinner it's clear he's not going to run for President--he even went back to being fair and even handed to President Obama after the raid that killed bin Laden. If Trump was really running, he'd relish the time in the spotlight driving the pace car would bring, and he would be the LAST person on earth who would worry about any ethical or "equal time" issues. He's got his own reasons for pulling out which, not surprisingly, he didn't give when he made his statement about not driving. Let's just all be glad he's not going to stuff that combed-over mess into a helmet on race day and subject all of us to his neediness.

jackmart
6th May 2011, 18:55
Can someone explain to me how him driving the pace-car and running for president have any effect on each other? This makes no sense to me, at least come up with a logic excuse.

dataman1
6th May 2011, 19:45
We now know it will be Foyt. Have you guys seen him lately? He may need assistance getting in and out of the car. I'm sure he can drive however. I would also assume that he would be in the ceremonial start car and another driver/car would be used for the rest of the race. Anyone know for sure? I think it was a great choice.

mileman
7th May 2011, 14:47
Sanity prevails - and the egomaniac goes back to whatever he does. I actually think that it came down to a safety issue. At those speeds - a sudden rush of wind could play havoc with that "come over/under/around." If that thing flopped in front of his eyes going into turn 4 at full throttle, who knows what could happen.

Leo Krupe
7th May 2011, 21:33
Can someone explain to me how him driving the pace-car and running for president have any effect on each other? This makes no sense to me, at least come up with a logic excuse.
That's just it--one has nothing to do with the other. It's Trump's attempt at saving face by saying it does though. Honestly, even if he were actively running (which he won't), it wouldn't preclude him from making appearances like driving the pace car at Indy. Candidate Bill Clinton played the sax on the Arsenio Hall show if I remember correctly.

In fact, it could be great for a presidential candidate's image to drive the pace car at Indy. There are few things more all-American than the Indy 500. It'd be like a throwing out the first pitch at a World Series game.

Instead, Trump is full of nothing but hot air, and any excuse he comes up with to back out of driving the pace car is pure baloney. A distraction? He's too busy with other business interests? If there is ever a time to shout "Gimme a break!" at the top of your lungs, his lame excuses are it.

FormerFF
8th May 2011, 03:18
Trump's one of those people that's amusingly bad, I love the US version of The Apprentice for its sheer naffness, and cringe every time he talks (or yells). He's obviously talented or he wouldn't be a self-made billionaire after being bankrupted so many times, but the he does have a bit of a tendancy to concrete over things first and think later - he is currently trying to destroy a nature reserve in Scotland, which is part of why he's not overly loved in the UK.

I don't really care that he's driving the car at the 500, he probably paid quite a lot for it, and the series could do with some money. It'd be nice so see Andretti or someone in the car, but it's not like he's racing.

I wouldn't consider Trump to be self made, his family is very wealthy, and quite honestly no one has an idea what his net worth is anyway. He's failed at the gambling business a number of times, and like a number of the extremely wealthy, he seems to be able to use bankruptcy as a tool, whereas for the normal person, bankruptcy usually means ruin.

I'm glad to hear that A. J will be driving instead. He's about 100,000 times a better choice than is Trump. Although many of us remember him mostly for his later career and his somewhat odd antics as a car owner, a strong case could be made for saying he is the greatest Indycar driver ever. Considering the era he started out in, just surviving is an accomplishment. Of the 33 drivers who started in his rookie 500 in 1958, 11 eventually were killed in racing incidents, and to win four 500s in that era is an astounding feat, not to mention wins in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 24 Hours of Daytona, and the Daytona 500. If he's having health problems, that's even more reason to get him in the pace car now.

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2011, 05:41
Glad Trump backed out. Not gonna speculate whether his reason is BS or not. I suspect it is BS but maybe he realizes that he has no business driving a pace car. AJ Foyt should have been asked first, and failing that Mario or Dan Gurney would be great choices as well. The fact AJ will be driving the car is fitting. He won the 50th Indy 500.......

garyshell
9th May 2011, 16:19
Welcome back Mark!

Gary

Jag_Warrior
10th May 2011, 17:22
Good! Trump's presidential aspirations aside, it could have been a PR disaster and a blackeye for the Indy 500 to have a draft dodger (with no previous connection to motorsports) driving the pace car on Memorial Day weekend... especially for the 100th anniversary.

SoCalPVguy
10th May 2011, 20:16
Good! Trump's presidential aspirations aside, it could have been a PR disaster and a blackeye for the Indy 500 to have a draft dodger (with no previous connection to motorsports) driving the pace car on Memorial Day weekend... especially for the 100th anniversary.

Whaaaaatttt ??? Bill Clinton was going to drive the pace car ???????????

Jag_Warrior
10th May 2011, 21:01
As far as I know, Clinton has never been asked to drive the Indy pace car on a day meant to honor those who have served this nation in the military. And as far as I know, Clinton isn't a motorsports fan anymore than Trump is. I've never been a fan of Bill Clinton, but it would make a hell of a lot more sense to have a former POTUS/Commander-in-Chief (draft dodger or not) in the pace car, than a guy who claimed to be a "star athlete", but then all of a sudden got himself declared the equivalent of a 4F when it came time to serve... and then lied his butt off about the how's, what's and when's of the situation.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2011, 18:49
As far as I know, Clinton has never been asked to drive the Indy pace car on a day meant to honor those who have served this nation in the military. And as far as I know, Clinton isn't a motorsports fan anymore than Trump is. I've never been a fan of Bill Clinton, but it would make a hell of a lot more sense to have a former POTUS/Commander-in-Chief (draft dodger or not) in the pace car, than a guy who claimed to be a "star athlete", but then all of a sudden got himself declared the equivalent of a 4F when it came time to serve... and then lied his butt off about the how's, what's and when's of the situation.

Well in the Case of Trump, it was just a bad idea that was corrected. AS for him being a Draft Dodger, he did what he could to stay out of a dopey idea (the Vietnam War). IN hindsight I suspect there is not many who did serve who don't feel that it was a waste of men and time. That said, Trump is a guy who just is full of crap at least half the time.....

Jag_Warrior
11th May 2011, 20:08
If they wanted to let him drive the pace car around Long Beach, Baltimore or where ever, then so be it. I really wouldn't have an issue with that. I just don't think it's proper, right or respectful to veterans to have a guy, who lied about how his rich daddy helped him weasel out of military service ("star athlete" to 4F in the course of a couple of years... really???), drive the pace car at the Indy 500 on Memorial Day.

Nice spin job though. The last time I saw one that obvious was when my former company escorted the VP of Operations out the door (complete with a security guard escort), and later that day issued a press release that he had "resigned to pursue other opportunities, effective immediately."

Donald, YOU'RE FIRED! Good on IMS.