Race 2 of 17

Race - Honda Indy Grand Prix Of Alabama

Location - Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Alabama

Date - Sunday, April 10th

Time & TV Schedule - 3:00PM Eastern -Green Flag -3:45PM Eastern -Versus

Course Type - 2.38 Mile Road Course

Distance - 90 Laps / 214.2 Miles

Practice Sessions -
Friday, April 8th -2:20PM -3:05PM Eastern (Rookies & Outside of Top 10 Entrants ) & 3:05PM-3:35PM Eastern (All Cars) & 5:00PM-6:00PM Eastern
Saturday, April 9th - 9:00AM -9:20AM Eastern
Sunday, April 10th Warm-Up Session -10:00AM -10:30AM Eastern

Qualifications - Saturday, April 9th -10:25AM -11:40AM Eastern

2010 Pole Sitter - Will Power - Lap Time -1:10.1356 / Speed -118.057

2010 Winner - Helio Castroneves

DanicaFan
4th April 2011, 21:07
Here is a layout of the course..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/BarberOverview.jpg

Anubis
4th April 2011, 22:44
Shall be keeping an eye on Wilson and Conway for this one, as well as seeing if Sato's new found "not crashing" approach holds. Be nice if someone different won. Hell, even D****a.

EagleEye
5th April 2011, 20:09
First, I have said many times that we need more devoted fans like you. BUT....

....... please, please, please, pretty please, don't pick her to win. Don't tell us she will be in the fast six....please?! Don't tell us that she will take the pole, please.

Root and cheer for Danica. Bask in the glow of any good day she has at the track. But please, please, please spare us all. Please!!!

I love the Bears, really love the Bears, 'Da Bears, and I always want them to win, and hope they win. But I don't predict they will win every game (though they came quite close once...). Like the SNL skit about 'Da Bears and weather they would beat Rick Mears in the Indy 500 if they were all in a bus being driven by Ditka....I would put my money on Mears!

You have some tracks where your picking Danica is not so far fetched, like Indy, maybe Texas, etc.

Imagine if you picked her to finish 6th at Barber, and she some how comes home 5th. How awesome would that be?!! But please, use some sense and reality. Please, please please, with ice cream and a cherry one top, please?

Considering you finished dead last in last weeks picks (hey, I was a mid pack picker too) pick someone who really has a chance to win. Please? Please.........

My sanity thanks you!

TURN3
5th April 2011, 21:45
To my knowledge, he hasn't mentioned "her" since the roasting he took in his "Birthday" thread. Giving the degradation he has caused here over the years, it is hard to consider but maybe we should give him a chance to be halfway normal before we fan his flames (i'll believe that after a very long time btw).

Anyway, pretty strong lineup going to Barber..NH was fast in testing, are they going to challenge Roger & Chip? I'd like to take Wilson but with a bum wrist, a one car team basically, and DRR doesn't seem to have their shock package figured out quite as well on the smooth tracks as they do the streets, that'll be a long shot this week.

DanicaFan
5th April 2011, 21:59
Point taken guys.

We get to see James Hinchcliffe at this race driving for Newman Haas in the #06 car. Be curious to see how he does.

Mightyreds
5th April 2011, 22:30
Out with the rest of the mid pack, in the first turn.

anthonyvop
5th April 2011, 23:14

Hahahaha.......

maxmach
5th April 2011, 23:28
I'm thinking Dixon on this one......Will does great on the road courses(obviously) but He really seems to shine on the street courses, rougher and tighter then a naturall terrain course.

TURN3
5th April 2011, 23:39

Yeah but what if Helio qualifies on the front row? That increases the odds that the pile up comes further back in the field, like from Viso or Sato.

SarahFan
6th April 2011, 01:38
Did I read correctly that they are tweaking the qualifying format ...

Fast 12 will be limited to 10 min.... And cars will only be allowed 1 set of tires per round...

That actually maker the second round very interesting.... And with the chance of a yellow at 50/50(?) it puts a twist on when you go out and put a flyer down

beachbum
6th April 2011, 11:50
We get to see James Hinchcliffe at this race driving for Newman Haas in the #06 car. Be curious to see how he does.Hinch was certainly quick in testing, but testing doesn't always translate into race results. The field is very competitive and I would think a top 10 is possible, but a top 15 more realistic for his first Indy car race. But he might surprise.

DanicaFan
6th April 2011, 17:14
Here is the entry list for the race..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barberentrylist.jpg

Anubis
6th April 2011, 19:45
Pagenaud at D&RR? Have I been asleep? When did that happen?

Dr. Krogshöj
6th April 2011, 19:54
Pagenaud at D&RR? Have I been asleep? When did that happen?

I believe you have. Simon will stand in for Bia, who broke her wrist at St. Pete. Hopefully, she will recover soon. Simon is a great replacement.

Anubis
6th April 2011, 20:18
Had a busy few weeks...must've missed that. Wish her a speedy recovery. Decent looking field for this one, so shaping up to be an interesting race. Possibly not at the front, as I daresay Dario or Dixon will win, but all sorts of little sub-plots to follow. Personally, I'll be cheering on Wilson and Conway, keeping an eye on Jakes and wondering whether Sato can go TWO races without hitting anything. Or for that matter whether Marco can go two corners without hitting EVERYTHING.

TURN3
6th April 2011, 22:37
Keeping Simon and Simona should be an interesting task for our television people. Thank God it isn't an ABC race.

Mightyreds
7th April 2011, 03:38
Once you get past Penske & TCGR the field is open to whoever has a good day. 6 through 26 restricted only by their ability to get past turn 1.

harvick#1
7th April 2011, 19:46
over/under on how many times Viso crashes this week :p :

NickFalzone
7th April 2011, 19:48
over/under on how many times Viso crashes this week :p :

> or = the # of times he steps into the car.

uncommonsense52
7th April 2011, 20:43
I believe you have. Simon will stand in for Bia, who broke her wrist at St. Pete. Hopefully, she will recover soon. Simon is a great replacement.

How come it lists Pagenaud as a rookie? Didn't Indycar inherit Champcar's history in the merger?

If Pagenaud is a rookie, why isn't Bourdais?

anthonyvop
7th April 2011, 21:08
How come it lists Pagenaud as a rookie? Didn't Indycar inherit Champcar's history in the merger?

Bourdais raced at the Indy 500

Nikki Katz
7th April 2011, 21:18
Are they going to scrap that stupid restart rule? Pleeeeease??? They can't run with that all season surely? They won't be able to afford the repairs, and I'd like a race where the whole of the midfield isn't wiped out in the first couple of laps.

Dr. Krogshöj
7th April 2011, 21:25

There are no firm rules definig the rookie status. The rule book says "INDYCAR in its discretion shall determine whether a Driver is a rookie." As far as I can remember, Barnhart stated in 2008 that Champ Car experience only counted if the driver had extensive oval experience. Bourdais does have oval experience, Pagenaud doesn't, as there weren't any ovals left in 2007.

uncommonsense52
7th April 2011, 21:42
There are no firm rules definig the rookie status. The rule book says "INDYCAR in its discretion shall determine whether a Driver is a rookie." As far as I can remember, Barnhart stated in 2008 that Champ Car experience only counted if the driver had extensive oval experience. Bourdais does have oval experience, Pagenaud doesn't, as there weren't any ovals left in 2007.

That's facepalmingly stupid on Indycar's part, imo.

Chamoo
7th April 2011, 22:06
That's facepalmingly stupid on Indycar's part, imo.

How so? I do not see the stupidity in it.

EagleEye
7th April 2011, 22:25
Here is the entry list for the race..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barberentrylist.jpg

A solid field, just as MDS predicted. And, a very talented field.

Now, if we can all get through turn one....

DanicaFan
7th April 2011, 22:49
I want Danica to qualify upfront. Track position is premium here.

Barreis
7th April 2011, 22:55
Where's she from? Somewhere from Europe probably?

beachbum
8th April 2011, 13:30
I want Danica to qualify upfront. Track position is premium here.I want to win the lottery. The odds are about the same.

But I do agree track position is critical, so I would expect qualifying to be fierce, and some alternate pit strategies in the race to get track position. That also means there may be a "few" bonsai moves on starts and restarts, so the number finishing may be a lot less that the number starting.

beachbum
8th April 2011, 13:35
Are they going to scrap that stupid restart rule? Pleeeeease??? They can't run with that all season surely? They won't be able to afford the repairs, and I'd like a race where the whole of the midfield isn't wiped out in the first couple of laps.Since the "big one" at St Pete was at the start and starts have been 2 wide for a long time, how is eliminating 2 wide restarts going to make any difference at the start?

Personally, I am still undecided about the 2 wide restarts, but if they start 2 wide, I don't see why a restart should pose any unique problems. Of course, the downside is the more times it is done is an race, the more opportunities for Marco and others to wipe out a portion of the field.

TURN3
8th April 2011, 14:50
Why would someone want to move a trained plant around at the racetrack? :rolleyes:
A banzai move into the first corner might be tried by some though (can we all say Marco).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I will actually expect that Marco will play it cool this weekend. He desparately needs to complete a lap heading into race 2. Given that he was quick here last year, he might expect that he is actually good enought to make a few passes. We'll see though.

garyshell
8th April 2011, 16:02
Why would someone want to move a trained plant around at the racetrack? :rolleyes:
A banzai move into the first corner might be tried by some though (can we all say Marco).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oh I don't know, it seems to me Marco drove with about as much intelligence as a bonsai tree. Some might argue the tree shows signs of more training.

Gary

beachbum
8th April 2011, 16:14

Sorry, couldn't resist. :) I hate spell checkers. I jus don spel gud

Chris R
8th April 2011, 18:46
Hey, don't insult the poor plants... :p

DanicaFan
8th April 2011, 20:50
Practice Session 1 Results..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barberpractice1.jpg

DanicaFan
8th April 2011, 21:00
Here are the qualifying groups for tomorrow..

Group 1

#2 Oriol Servia
#3 Helio Castroneves
#4 JR Hildebrand
#6 Ryan Briscoe
#10 Dario Franchitti
#12 Will Power
#14 Vitor Meira
#18 James Jakes
#24 Simon Pagenaud
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#38 Graham Rahal
#78 Simona De Silvestro
#83 Charlie Kimball

Group 2

#5 Takuma Sato
#7 Danica Patrick
#9 Scott Dixon
#17 Raphael Matos
#19 Sebastien Bourdais
#22 Justin Wilson
#26 Marco Andretti
#27 Mike Conway
#34 Sebastian Saavedra
#59 EJ Viso
#77 Alex Tagliani
#82 Tony Kanaan
#06 James Hinchcliffe

ykiki
8th April 2011, 21:19
Practice Session 1 Results..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barberpractice1.jpg
Nice to see Conway break up the Target & Penske bunch. Hopefully Sato can keep the car in one piece over the weekend like he managed to do in St Pete - he has the speed. However, one has to wonder if finishing two races in a row might be too much to ask for...

DanicaFan
8th April 2011, 22:04
2nd session underway. Track is still wet due to the rain earlier.

Hoop-98
8th April 2011, 22:32
30 min in...

http://i53.tinypic.com/675auh.jpg

Hoop-98
8th April 2011, 22:52
Viso backs it in hard...

DanicaFan
8th April 2011, 23:05
Practice Session 2 Results..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barberpractice2.jpg

Hoop-98
8th April 2011, 23:06
Good show by Oriol!

TURN3
8th April 2011, 23:14
Is it too late to get into the Viso over/under sweepstakes? What an idiot. Actually, Vasser is an even bigger idiot. He's driven these cars and should be able to figure out this clown is worthless. Goes to prove Jimmy has a serious lack of judgement.

DanicaFan
8th April 2011, 23:31
Hinchliffe ran well too.

Leo Krupe
9th April 2011, 02:14
I'm happy to see Simona move up several spots from session 1 to session 2.

beachbum
9th April 2011, 03:06
Is it too late to get into the Viso over/under sweepstakes? What an idiot. Actually, Vasser is an even bigger idiot. He's driven these cars and should be able to figure out this clown is worthless. Goes to prove Jimmy has a serious lack of judgement.Viso obviously brought a BIG check, so I wouldn't blame Vasser. It is just the state of racing today that bucks trump talent. It isn't about judgment, it is about financial survival.

But Viso sure does trash a lot of equipment. I wonder if his budget includes replacing that many parts?

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2011, 05:36
Viso is a moron. No two ways about it. I don't think we need to have the Jury out long on that one.

Gotta love my favourite new hope Hinch doing well. Unlike Marco, Hinch knows enough to play it cool, and I think once he gets past the terror of the start ( I would be nervous as hell after seeing all the carnage at St. Pete's) he will manage to just keep it on the island and try to take advantage of what presents itself. With a smart crew chief, based on his early speed, he is very capable of a top 10 finish.

I wish Barber was a little more Indycar friendly, with more passing but it is a nice facility and the drivers seem to like the track..so lets have a good one.

beachbum
9th April 2011, 11:50
Viso is a moron. No two ways about it. I don't think we need to have the Jury out long on that one.

Gotta love my favourite new hope Hinch doing well. Unlike Marco, Hinch knows enough to play it cool, and I think once he gets past the terror of the start ( I would be nervous as hell after seeing all the carnage at St. Pete's) he will manage to just keep it on the island and try to take advantage of what presents itself. With a smart crew chief, based on his early speed, he is very capable of a top 10 finish.

I wish Barber was a little more Indycar friendly, with more passing but it is a nice facility and the drivers seem to like the track..so lets have a good one.This is Viso's fourth year in Indy Car. There is no excuse for his erratic driving. No jury needed, but an "impeachment" might be in order.

A some point Indy Car officials should take some action as his behavior is impacting other drivers. He takes away quality practice time and his blocking of Simona at St Pete was criminal. Unlike Marco and Helio, he hasn't taken out others, but it is only a matter of time. They did extend practice after he once again stopped it right at the end, but the "land rush" in those last few minutes probably weren't very useful.

I think Hinch will do just fine. IF he gets past turn 1, he definitely is capable of a top 10.

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 15:00
Qualifying next:

http://i52.tinypic.com/viigyg.jpg

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 15:42
http://i51.tinypic.com/1264ivl.jpg

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 16:01
http://i54.tinypic.com/23vgpkk.jpg

TURN3
9th April 2011, 16:09
I know they didn't advance but, Rafa and Simona are pretty impressive with single car teams both the first car out in their groups. Making the Penske/Ganassi 12 is a pretty tall order this year (obviously).

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 16:17
Justin and Oriol in with the fast guys...
http://i52.tinypic.com/2n6aqrk.jpg

beachbum
9th April 2011, 16:19
Dixon mentioned the groups were the most lopsided he ever saw. All of the top 6 in group 1 were in the 1:11's but only 1 in group 2.

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 16:38
The usual suspects!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uij0g5.jpg

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 19:56
Lineup;

http://i55.tinypic.com/34xfl2d.jpg

DanicaFan
9th April 2011, 20:17
Here is the full starting grid... I am shocked Danica didnt qualify better.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/barbergrid.jpg

Alfa Fan
9th April 2011, 20:21

So am I. A driver of that pedigree on street circuits to be down there, there must have been serious problems with the car.

beachbum
9th April 2011, 21:22
Here is the full starting grid... I am shocked Danica didnt qualify better. Why?

She is 1.3 seconds off the pole (24th in lap time in field of 26). When she started in the IRL in the days of 18-20 car fields 1.3 seconds off pole might get you easily into the top 6-8 (St Pete 2005, 2006, Watkins Glen 2005, 2006, Sears Point 2006). But she qualified near the back in those days as well, just 2-3 seconds off pole. So while she is getting a little better, the competition is much tougher.

DBell
9th April 2011, 21:29
Another pole for Will. He's almost a lock to get pole at a road or street course now. Money in the bank.

I really wish they would make a couple of tweaks to their qualifying format. Fastest times goes forward and line the cars on the grid according to speed past the top 12. Matos is 14 with Jr and RHR behind him with faster times. If they want to split them into groups, fine. But let the overall fastest times determine who goes ahead and where they land on the grid if they are outside the fast 12.

TURN3
9th April 2011, 22:31
Another pole for Will. He's almost a lock to get pole at a road or street course now. Money in the bank.

I really wish they would make a couple of tweaks to their qualifying format. Fastest times goes forward and line the cars on the grid according to speed past the top 12. Matos is 14 with Jr and RHR behind him with faster times. If they want to split them into groups, fine. But let the overall fastest times determine who goes ahead and where they land on the grid if they are outside the fast 12.

That defeats the purpose. They have 2 groups to keep the track relatively uncluttered and everybody gets an easier shot at a clean lap. The 2nd group almost always has the advantage over the first group as the track rubbers in. You're giving those drivers an unfair advantage if you say the fastest 12 regardless of groups go forward.

I would suggest if any changes were to be made, you would include the fastest car from either group outside of the top 12, a wildcard slot. Still, this wildcard would come from group 2 the majority of the time (slightly dependant upon the draw).

Hoop-98
9th April 2011, 22:39
Why?

She is 1.3 seconds off the pole (24th in lap time in field of 26). When she started in the IRL in the days of 18-20 car fields 1.3 seconds off pole might get you easily into the top 6-8 (St Pete 2005, 2006, Watkins Glen 2005, 2006, Sears Point 2006). But she qualified near the back in those days as well, just 2-3 seconds off pole. So while she is getting a little better, the competition is much tougher.

To your spot on observation...

http://i54.tinypic.com/33ojvc0.jpg

SoCalPVguy
9th April 2011, 23:55

Dude ! You are backing a three legged dog in a Greyhound race when it comes to road circuits. I and shocked too about her 22nd place starting position, shocked that is, that it isnt 23rd !!!

beachbum
10th April 2011, 00:12
To your spot on observation... :)
I often get it wrong, but I know someone will check my numbers, so this time I researched before I posted.

To be honest, I was surprised at the spread in times at those races. The speeds today show how much the quality of drivers and teams have improved in a short time. No one can cruise to a top 5 anymore.

TURN3
10th April 2011, 03:11
Let us not forget that there were 2 or 3 road/streets she qualified near he front. By coincidence, if I'm not mistaken those also happened to be the races they "tested" the steering rack for her and whittle Darren Manning. Hmmm.....

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 04:21
How so? I do not see the stupidity in it.

Either you're taking Champcar's records or your not. Either his year in Champcar counts, or it doesn't. What makes oval racing so special that IT is the deciding factor in making someone a rookie or not. Less skill needed on an oval, anyways.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2011, 08:03
A good field, people are pretty much where they deserve to be I suppose, except for Bourdais. He deserves a better ride than the one he has.....

Glad to see Hinch doing well, not surprised to see Danica at the back. She hasn't ever been fast at Barber, I don't know where Danicafan got the idea she would figure it out this year.....

Anubis
10th April 2011, 14:07
Nice work by Wilson to be up amongst the usual suspects. I shall be cheering him on, in an understated British sort of way. Good job by Hinchcliffe as well. Be good to see a bit of a race here, rather than just a Penske / Ganassi benefit. As for what Taku will do, who knows? That's the joy of Sato. As for Danica, as long as she doesn't get in the way of the front runners, I care not what she does this race. Just hope the coverage doesn't fawn over her as is so often the case.

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 15:35
Here are the warmup results....

http://i53.tinypic.com/rqys92.jpg

Alfa Fan
10th April 2011, 16:23
Good improvement from Danica. I can see her winning this one for sure.

garyshell
10th April 2011, 17:25
Good to see Tony higher up now. What happened to him during qualifying?

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
10th April 2011, 18:49
Good to see Tony higher up now. What happened to him during qualifying?

Gary

Bad day.

TURN3
10th April 2011, 20:25
Bad day.

I disagree, has to be more to it than that. TK having a bad day in a respectable ride is 15-20. Looks to me more like equipment. Makes me think of last year at Toronto when the over stretch over worked crew had different rear suspension geometries on each side of PT's car. They found it, and PT charged through the field strong. Sadly, Barber doesn't lend itself to charging through the field but there is sure to be some action and opportunity to move up.

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 21:14
The commentating here is brutal. If I didn't know as much about Indycar as I do, I wouldn't have any idea what was going on. They just now kept calling Graham Rahal Hunter-Reay. Highly annoying.

dataman1
10th April 2011, 21:32
I have lost live timing... Anyone else?

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 21:34
Try here; (http://mobile.irlfanatic.com/irlf/m_myts2011.asp?color=bonw&options=106963432&fontsize=2&browserid=20110410131211_k58&refresh=5&ts=)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2v7ti5f.jpg

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 21:49
Viso just can't drive. Why the KV crew continues to give him cars to wreck is beyond me.

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 22:01
Haha, Hinchcliffe telling it like it is on Viso. I like this kid.

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 22:11
Danica making some nice moves, up to 8th

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 22:18
Danica up to 3rd after not taking tires in the pits. Interesting.

DanicaFan
10th April 2011, 22:19
Danica on her way to victory!

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 22:25
Well she lost about 3 spots on the restart, u jinxed her DF!!!

http://i55.tinypic.com/25jw075.jpg

DanicaFan
10th April 2011, 22:29
Dont worry Hoop, she will get em next restart and move right back up. I admit, Im a little worried about not getting new tires.

gm99
10th April 2011, 22:41
Haha, Hinchcliffe telling it like it is on Viso. I like this kid.

PT has also got some funny comments about Viso on his Twitter channel:
"Ohhh viso viso , why do u do me this way ..."
"Viiiso viiiiiiso heeeee is on the hook again "
"3 mil in crash damage , he is the champion of crash damage ohh viso"
"Oooooohhhhh Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy , back to the parts truck again "

anthonyvop
10th April 2011, 22:46
15 laps to go and the indycar page on the Versus website still headlines the upcoming "St. Petersburg race this Sunday at 3;00 pm.'

http://www.versus.com/indycar/

WoooooHooooo...Versus Baby!!!

DanicaFan
10th April 2011, 22:48
I think everyone can make it on fuel, right?

DanicaFan
10th April 2011, 22:52
This is heartbreaking to watch Danica get passed because of those old "no grip" tires... :(

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 22:54
Two letters for you A, F5

Hoop-98
10th April 2011, 23:06
Good lil race...

http://i54.tinypic.com/35hifle.jpg

dataman1
10th April 2011, 23:12
The live timing feed off of Indycar went south at least 3 times. I talked with friends on other ISP with same problems. I also saw several twitter complaints from other viewers. Not good for a series that wants to do digital broadcasts.

DazzlaF1
10th April 2011, 23:15
STANDINGS AFTER BARBER

1. Will Power ................ 94
2. Dario Franchitti ................ 87
3. Tony Kanaan ................ 63
=4. Scott Dixon ................ 54
=4. Simona de Silvestro ................ 54
6. Oriol Servia ................ 52
=7. Marco Andretti ................ 44
=7. Takuma Sato ................ 44
9. Alex Tagliani ................ 43
10. Vitor Meira ................ 42

I know its early days but its already looking intriguing

DanicaFan
10th April 2011, 23:16
Congrats to Will Power for the win. Im still heartbroke but it was a gutsy call and thats what they had to do to get Danica some track position. She ran a great race despite her finish.

TURN3
10th April 2011, 23:31
Congrats to Will Power for the win. Im still heartbroke but it was a gutsy call and thats what they had to do to get Danica some track position. She ran a great race despite her finish.

Um, no.

You were doing such a good job for ALMOST a week of keeping your mouth shut and all. Guess what, there are 90 laps in a race. She had 10 good laps on fresh reds (everybody else was on blacks around her) after some good strategy got her into the top 14. Other than those 10 laps, she sucked. She finished exactly where she had practices, qualified, warmed-up, and started. THE BACK. It is great for her sponsor that she got close to the front for a bit but, it is where you finish. She was an embarassment to her family again this entire weekend. You do realize she was the only car running at the end to be a lap down (other than those in the pits or with extensive repairs (Rahal)). That is saying something (and it says she sucks).

uncommonsense52
10th April 2011, 23:48
Um, no.

You were doing such a good job for ALMOST a week of keeping your mouth shut and all. Guess what, there are 90 laps in a race. She had 10 good laps on fresh reds (everybody else was on blacks around her) after some good strategy got her into the top 14. Other than those 10 laps, she sucked. She finished exactly where she had practices, qualified, warmed-up, and started. THE BACK. It is great for her sponsor that she got close to the front for a bit but, it is where you finish. She was an embarassment to her family again this entire weekend. You do realize she was the only car running at the end to be a lap down (other than those in the pits or with extensive repairs (Rahal)). That is saying something (and it says she sucks).

This is a bit harsh. I don't like Danica either, and think she's over-hyped by the media, but this was a racing thing that could have happened to any driver. She made a call, it was wrong. At least she was trying to move through the field in some way. And it's not like she hadn't moved up as the race had been going on. She jumped up 3 or 4 spots in the pits to get into 3rd. True. But that means she was inside the top 10 when she came in in the first place. That means she had moved up.

TURN3
10th April 2011, 23:58
This is a bit harsh. I don't like Danica either, and think she's over-hyped by the media, but this was a racing thing that could have happened to any driver. She made a call, it was wrong. At least she was trying to move through the field in some way. And it's not like she hadn't moved up as the race had been going on. She jumped up 3 or 4 spots in the pits to get into 3rd. True. But that means she was inside the top 10 when she came in in the first place. That means she had moved up.

She had moved up to 12th on some strategy, with some others that started that far back. Those 10 laps she was on fresh reds she passed several cars, impressively. Then she jumped 4 spots on the no tire call. Just as an explanation of how she got there. That is all well and good, some strategy and gampling got her track position (as usual). But it is a fact that you race for 90 laps (here anyway). Not harsh at all to point out the fact when somebody is on here for 3 years talking like she's the 2nd coming or somehting. I realize you are relatively new, so you wouldn't have known this goes way back.

Welcome by the way.

beachbum
11th April 2011, 00:02
This is a bit harsh. I don't like Danica either, and think she's over-hyped by the media, but this was a racing thing that could have happened to any driver. She made a call, it was wrong. At least she was trying to move through the field in some way. And it's not like she hadn't moved up as the race had been going on. She jumped up 3 or 4 spots in the pits to get into 3rd. True. But that means she was inside the top 10 when she came in in the first place. That means she had moved up.Danica made it into the top ten the same was a few others who started at the back managed it. They went for 3 stops, which meant they could stop early, put on reds when everyone else switched to blacks and run as hard as they wanted while most of the field was saving fuel to make just 2 stops. Had the caution not come out when it did, she probably would have dropped well back. Only TK made that strategy work.

As for the call, she didn't make the call, the team did. When she slid the tires coming into the pits, she was probably about done right there. It was never going to work trying to work running flat spotted reds that already had about 15 laps on them for a another 30 laps, especially as hard as she is on front tires. Since it normally takes longer to fuel than change tires, I suspect they knew she couldn't make the last 30 laps on fuel anyway, so it looked like a short fill to leap frog other teams.

It may have just been a move to get TV time and look good for a short time, but boy was she slow when the tires went off. (1:20 to the others running 1:14 - 1:15 - Yes Hoop, I checked - laps 80-85 :) )

Mightyreds
11th April 2011, 00:11
I liked the race. Not changing the tires was a stupid move, has anyone done more than a full stint on reds, not to mention the brake lock up every time she had to turn.

NickFalzone
11th April 2011, 00:15
15 laps to go and the indycar page on the Versus website still headlines the upcoming "St. Petersburg race this Sunday at 3;00 pm.'

http://www.versus.com/indycar/

WoooooHooooo...Versus Baby!!!

I noticed that as well, several days ago when IndyCar.com did not have the time/channel easily displayed. After checking VS.com and seeing that IndyCar was racing at 3 today at St. Pete, I just hung my head in shame. They didn't just accidently leave last weeks schedule up, they actually had April 9 at St. Pete. I get the feeling VS has relegated IndyCar to backburner.

NickFalzone
11th April 2011, 00:18
Just watched the VS postrace. Dixon and Power were really going at it on the podium. Nice to see some hate in the IndyCar series.

uncommonsense52
11th April 2011, 00:20
She had moved up to 12th on some strategy, with some others that started that far back. Those 10 laps she was on fresh reds she passed several cars, impressively. Then she jumped 4 spots on the no tire call. Just as an explanation of how she got there. That is all well and good, some strategy and gampling got her track position (as usual). But it is a fact that you race for 90 laps (here anyway). Not harsh at all to point out the fact when somebody is on here for 3 years talking like she's the 2nd coming or somehting. I realize you are relatively new, so you wouldn't have known this goes way back.

Welcome by the way.

It just seems to me, with Danica, there is so much that you can make fun of - that getting on her for this one is relatively weak. I found it way more funny that I had to explain to a few people I was watching the race with that, "No, her front tires aren't blacks and her back ones reds. She scrubbed the red off the front when she hit someone."

I have a long standing joke that you can end every sentence about Danica with, "because she can't drive." That was one of those times.

But it seems to me here, that this was just a gamble and she lost out on it. I used to watch NASCAR, and my favorite driver was Rusty Wallace. A great driver, but what I remember him doing a lot was risky pit strategies that ended up biting him in the rear.

It happens to the best. All I was saying was that this particular gamble could have been from any driver. And there's way more legit stuff to make fun of her about.

uncommonsense52
11th April 2011, 00:24
Just watched the VS postrace. Dixon and Power were really going at it on the podium. Nice to see some hate in the IndyCar series.

I didn't see it, I flipped on a hockey game. What do you mean going at it?

Anubis
11th April 2011, 00:29

Had she started dead last in that race, not passed anyone, not been involved in any of the crashes and simply tooled around at the back keeping out of the way, she'd have finished 18th, so I'm struggling to see how finishing 17th constitutes a great race. Servia and especially Pagenaud ran great races, Danica just got out of sequence, lost a tyre gamble then found her equilibrium.

NickFalzone
11th April 2011, 00:46
I didn't see it, I flipped on a hockey game. What do you mean going at it?

After the VS intv with Power, Scott started saying some stuff that Will seemed to disagree with. Then a few mins later they're still arguing on the podium, and Dario's saying something that Will is shaking his head at. Will got his win, but may not have been worth the wrath of the Ganassi's this early in the season.

Chamoo
11th April 2011, 01:40
After the VS intv with Power, Scott started saying some stuff that Will seemed to disagree with. Then a few mins later they're still arguing on the podium, and Dario's saying something that Will is shaking his head at. Will got his win, but may not have been worth the wrath of the Ganassi's this early in the season.

Good! If we are going to have a rivalry between two dominant teams, I want it to be a bitter one. Would had liked to see one of the Ganassi B-Team take out a Penske car... On purpose.

beachgirl
11th April 2011, 01:53
I didn't understand the decision that Danica and her team made at the time they made it, and I still don't understand it. There was no way in this universe her tires were going to take the abuse, and they didn't. I don't see that any other team in that paddock would have ever made that decision. They may have gotten Go-Daddy a little air time, but it sure wasn't quality air-time. But then I don't think Go-Daddy cares about quality air-time, only air-time period. I also got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that Danica's team has pretty much given up on her.

TURN3
11th April 2011, 02:23
It just seems to me, with Danica, there is so much that you can make fun of - that getting on her for this one is relatively weak. I found it way more funny that I had to explain to a few people I was watching the race with that, "No, her front tires aren't blacks and her back ones reds. She scrubbed the red off the front when she hit someone."

I have a long standing joke that you can end every sentence about Danica with, "because she can't drive." That was one of those times.

But it seems to me here, that this was just a gamble and she lost out on it. I used to watch NASCAR, and my favorite driver was Rusty Wallace. A great driver, but what I remember him doing a lot was risky pit strategies that ended up biting him in the rear.

It happens to the best. All I was saying was that this particular gamble could have been from any driver. And there's way more legit stuff to make fun of her about.

You're basically right, but it wasn't her that I was making fun of.

TURN3
11th April 2011, 02:27
I didn't understand the decision that Danica and her team made at the time they made it, and I still don't understand it. There was no way in this universe her tires were going to take the abuse, and they didn't. I don't see that any other team in that paddock would have ever made that decision. They may have gotten Go-Daddy a little air time, but it sure wasn't quality air-time. But then I don't think Go-Daddy cares about quality air-time, only air-time period. I also got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that Danica's team has pretty much given up on her.

I agree on it being dumb choice (that her team made). The more I think about it though, I don't think it was really a choice. I don't think she had another set of reds. When she inexplicably came in for tires with 5 laps to go, they put scuff reds on. My guess is they gambled by staying on the reds rather than go to a set of blacks. In that case, a more talented driver might have brought home a top 10 staying on reds after getting some track position. Just a guess on my part based on the tire choice when they actually stopped.

beachbum
11th April 2011, 03:24
I agree on it being dumb choice (that her team made). The more I think about it though, I don't think it was really a choice. I don't think she had another set of reds. When she inexplicably came in for tires with 5 laps to go, they put scuff reds on. My guess is they gambled by staying on the reds rather than go to a set of blacks. In that case, a more talented driver might have brought home a top 10 staying on reds after getting some track position. Just a guess on my part based on the tire choice when they actually stopped.I think you are right. She ran a very short first stint as she was on a three stop strategy and I think that was on blacks. So she put on reds at lap 10, and again at lap 38, and left them on at lap 59. The team was right in that the second set had fewer laps than the first (21 vs 28) but there was no way they were going to live for 30 more laps, even with cautions. They probably put the first set of reds back on at the end. I guess they either didn't have any blacks left, or didn't think she would be quick enough on blacks. She sure wasn't in the morning warmup.

garyshell
11th April 2011, 04:40

Because that is the ONLY way she gets any positions on a road or street course. There was another lady out there actually "gettin' it done". Go Simona!

Gary

Mightyreds
11th April 2011, 13:03
Danica was being passed before her tires went off. She got by some good drivers when she was on reds and they were on black, but once they were back on reds she looked like a car who qualified at the back.

maxmach
11th April 2011, 15:02
Hey, it not the Danica Racing League, the race, the real race was good, very entertaining, lots of action, some stupid moves......but the kind of race where if you didn't know that much about the series you would want to watch it again. The kind we need. Congrats to Will, and to TK....the PT hard charger award.

TURN3
11th April 2011, 15:44
Yo, DF!! Where is my Long Beach thread? The race is less than a week away, lets go!!

Dr. Krogshöj
11th April 2011, 23:02
You bring in Miller who always says "Hate is good" and you have arguments all over the place (Hinch vs Viso, Briscoe vs RHR, Power vs Dixon)... :up:

jimispeed
12th April 2011, 04:35
My take on the race is that it was closer to a Champcar feeling race more than ever. The only difference is that these cars don't have the power to perform. Next year should take care of that!

Are the changes still to happen next year? When will we see/hear of testing?

Overall though, good job all around!!

Danicas tire situation was a joke! Come in for some tires already!

Rich1071
12th April 2011, 15:02
Here's a little race report I wrote on Sunday's race. It's for my own blog that houses reports from quite a few sports. (I've just had a brief spell in hospital so i'm currently undergoing the task of updating it with all of the events I missed, so check back if you don't see anything in particular)

http://rich1071.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/a-faultless-will-power-dominates-the-indycar-grand-prix-of-alabama/

bblocker68
12th April 2011, 17:42
My take on the race is that it was closer to a Champcar feeling race more than ever. The only difference is that these cars don't have the power to perform. Next year should take care of that!

Are the changes still to happen next year? When will we see/hear of testing?

Overall though, good job all around!!

Danicas tire situation was a joke! Come in for some tires already!

Looks like there are a few new guys in here. Welcome to the boards. There are a couple of things that you'll get used to. Seeing these names tied to these subjects:

DanicaFan = any and all to do with Danica. Many would rather call her Princess Sparkle Pony.

jimispeed = any and all to do with Champcar's mythical past. Many of us have moved on, others will cling to things until their death, Much like the boards at TF or The Crappies.

They've made their bed, we just make them lay in it.

Carry on :)

bugeyedgomer
13th April 2011, 15:11
.22 just saying I will continue to let the haplessness do my speaking for me

garyshell
13th April 2011, 17:14
.22 just saying I will continue to let the haplessness do my speaking for me

Some one needs to because that sentence made absolutley no sense at all.

Gary

bugeyedgomer
13th April 2011, 19:55
maybe a picture will help you

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1800/barber2011vstwitterpoin.jpg

garyshell
13th April 2011, 22:53
maybe a picture will help you

And you need a huge picture to explain you were talking about tv ratings? Remember when momma told you to use your words?

Gary

uncommonsense52
13th April 2011, 23:13
Yeah the ratings suck...

Here's my somewhat optimistic thought though. With the NHL playoffs starting up, that's VS. biggest draw, I'd think. If there's some advertising time during the games for Indycar, maybe some of that crowd will start tuning in on Sundays.

Hopefully at the end of the season, Barber is seen as the outlier. The ratings looked so promising after St. Pete, I'm thinking they'll be more like that than Barber over the course of the year.

EDIT:

Another thing that would help would be if the media treated the Indy 500 as just another race, but with historical meaning. I think a lot of people tune in to watch the Indy 500 thinking that's all Indycar does. A one and done show. I know that they have to hype the 500 as much as possible, but if they made more mention of how the 500 is going to affect the Championship Standings... if they made that the focal point of the broadcast, I think some people would figure "well, I just invested 3 hours in this Indycar race. I think I should start tuning in to more of them to see how it plays out."

A really good way to do that would be to plug the hell out of their Las Vegas show at the end of the year during the 500. Tons of money on the line, Las Vegas sounds cool, some familiar names might return for a one-off, it'll be the championship clincher.... that's so marketable. And if you convince someone that watching the season finale is worth watching, it's really a much easier matter to convince them to watch the spaces in between to see how it unfolds.

I got my Dad to watch Barber last weekend via some pleading on text messages. He's almost one of those "everything sucks now that CART is dead" people (gomer, I think is the term) and he thought it was a highly entertaining race, and he's now very interested in the IndyCar season. For whatever that's worth.

NickFalzone
14th April 2011, 00:35
Yeah the ratings suck...

Here's my somewhat optimistic thought though. With the NHL playoffs starting up, that's VS. biggest draw, I'd think. If there's some advertising time during the games for Indycar, maybe some of that crowd will start tuning in on Sundays.

I'm sorry, but I just dont' see any evidence that VS ratings will improve until if/when the NBC-Comcast deal gets the station to ESPN levels. And that is not soon at all imo. On the other hand, we do have a bright spot this season in the ABC ratings. What this actually says to me is that, a lot of IndyCar fans do not have or watch VS. When the race is on a widely available network, the series still has some OK pull. This is NOT true of all sports. There are many events/shows that pull weaker than a 1.4 on a Sun. afternoon on ABC.. So there are some fans watching this series. But the fanbase with VS is just not there. Doesn't matter how well it is advertised, etc.. VS, as is, is going to kill the IndyCar series with these ratings. They either need to races back on the ABC/ESPN2 type deal, or get something going with NBC. But if the races continue to be pre-dominantly on VS, this series is finished.