PDA

View Full Version : Refueling

Koz
2nd April 2011, 11:39
It's been more than a season without refueling, does anyone miss it?

Although it's far too early to say for this season, it seems like most drivers are/will be making 2-3 stops for tyres.

Maybe it would be more interesting to see refueling back, having quick laps from start to finish.

MAX_THRUST
2nd April 2011, 11:58
I miss it. Because it adds another element. They said fans didn't understand that the cars needed refueling, funny we all understand when we have to fill our cars up at the gas station/garage, so how hard can it be for a fan to understand the cars don't run on fresh air.

steveaki13
2nd April 2011, 12:00
I think F1 one has always changed, with or without refueling and so each period has its own merits.

But for me personally I like both. So whether its back in next year or not I don't mind.

So Im sitting on the fence.

One thing that might be could is to allow refuelling but make fuel tanks hold enough fuel for a whole race, so you can pick or choose, same with the tyres let anyone try fuel fuel hard tyres, or 3 fuel stops on super softs.

There is just too much meddling.

gloomyDAY
2nd April 2011, 15:55
I don't miss refueling because I feel as if it was unsafe. Pit crews are under so much pressure to get a pitstop right the first time, so inevitably there will be errors. Refueling was pretty cool, but I'd rather lose that part of F1 rather than see someone get burned.

What I like about non-refueling racing is that the drivers have to deal with a car that is heavy with fuel at the beginning of the race, and the car's characteristic changes as the car burns away that fuel. I love that aspect about non-refueling!

Hawkmoon
3rd April 2011, 08:38
I'm glad it's gone and don't want to see it back. It's one less thing the FIA can meddle with in the name of 'spicing' up the show.

All that's needed now is teams having the option to use any one of the 4 tyre compounds during a race. Make the hard last a full race, the medium last 3/4 distance the soft last 1/2 distance and the super-soft last 1/4 distance and let the teams have at it. I know durability would differ from circuit to circuit but tyres like that would give drivers and teams plenty of options and mix things up. We'd have guys trying a no-stopper against guys on a 2 or 3 stopper. What's not to like about that?

Rollo
3rd April 2011, 11:27
I don't miss refueling because I feel as if it was unsafe. Pit crews are under so much pressure to get a pitstop right the first time, so inevitably there will be errors. Refueling was pretty cool, but I'd rather lose that part of F1 rather than see someone get burned.

:up:

Jos Verstappen - Hockenheim 1994
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIYZ-pN3iQ4&feature=related
Drivers and Pit Crews are paid to do their respective jobs; not be fire marshalls. Fire in an F1 car if it's an avoidable danger, should be avoided.

I for one do not miss refuelling in the race.

ioan
3rd April 2011, 13:42
I am all for it to come back.
The FIA removed one of the most important tactical aspects of F1 and in exchange we got the gimmicky wings.
They are removing the intellectually challenging sides while adding crap to the sport.

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 13:54
I am dead set against it. Races with refuelling were nothing more than a series of sprints with no passing other than as a result of pit stops. Seldom was the strategy that resulted interesting either.

maximilian
3rd April 2011, 15:01
I am dead set against it. Races with refuelling were nothing more than a series of sprints with no passing other than as a result of pit stops. Seldom was the strategy that resulted interesting either.
EXACTLY!
I have to puke every time I hear "pit stop strategy". To me, it has nothing to do with RACING.

I also hate mandated tire stops. Pit stops should be optional only. If someone can make it all the way through on one set of tires, then let him! Or if they want to run soft tires twice, then let them do that, too. Stupid to mandate that 2 compounds have to be used!

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 15:37
EXACTLY!
I also hate mandated tire stops. Pit stops should be optional only. If someone can make it all the way through on one set of tires, then let him! Or if they want to run soft tires twice, then let them do that, too.

Just as it would have been nice had teams been able to run non-stop without refuelling if they wished to. Then we might have seen some genuinely interesting strategies involving refuelling.

airshifter
3rd April 2011, 16:20
I liked the strategy aspect of it, and it allowed for a most precise setup of the cars if the team desired. The fire danger issue was something I could live without. Being that it was often a fumbling point for the crews, it also brought the entire "team" aspect more into the sport.

"Felipe we had a problem with your fuel and Fernando was allowed to pass" :laugh:

UltimateDanGTR
3rd April 2011, 17:08
I love not having refuelling, simply for the aesthetics of the cars.

The cars have become longer due to larger fuel tanks, and the added length is behind the driver, thus the engine covers look far sleeker and in my eyes more beautiful. The Red Bull RB7 is a prime example-stunning car. No more stubby engine covers is the way I like it.

That, and it makes it harder for the driver at the start, which is always a good thing.

truefan72
3rd April 2011, 18:55
I liked refueling, more strategy, and allowed cars to go quicker. it was a bit of an equalizer of sorts.
I say bring it back but mandate tanks to be big enough to hold a full race worth of fuel.
apparently that big tank does not affect performance as we see lap records being broken in quali

christophulus
3rd April 2011, 21:49
I don't miss it, the refuelling strategies usually ended up being the same anyway.

If it came back I imagine the rule of qualifying on race fuel would come back too, and that was an awful idea. It was pretty obvious straight after qualifying who had short-fuelled for a bit of a glory run.

gloomyDAY
4th April 2011, 02:16
I don't miss it, the refuelling strategies usually ended up being the same anyway.

If it came back I imagine the rule of qualifying on race fuel would come back too, and that was an awful idea. It was pretty obvious straight after qualifying who had short-fuelled for a bit of a glory run. :angryfire I forgot all about that madness!

Sometimes the FIA intentionally angers the fans.

N. Jones
4th April 2011, 04:04
It's been more than a season without refueling, does anyone miss it?

Although it's far too early to say for this season, it seems like most drivers are/will be making 2-3 stops for tyres.

Maybe it would be more interesting to see refueling back, having quick laps from start to finish.

I do, but not so much as to be upset about it.

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:33
I miss it.

Dave B
4th April 2011, 09:07
Couldn't care less. It was interesting when it was part of racing, but I don't miss it now it's gone. Nursing a heavy car through the opening stages of a race while looking after your tyres is all part of the strategy. There's very little to be gained, but lots to be risked, by bringing it back.

Azumanga Davo
5th April 2011, 07:11
It's a no for me as well. Good riddance to botched pitstops (through no fault of the driver) and Intertechnique, who I daresay was absolutely rubbish at the one job they had to do at a GP (provide reliable fueling rigs).

Mark
7th April 2011, 09:57
I don't miss refuelling, but you know what I do miss? On screen timing of pit stops! These days they only show you the total time spent in the pits, while that is probably more relevant to the teams, what I want to see is how quickly the pit crew can work, e.g. McLaren look particularly good at it, but are they better or not? We all want to marvel at teams being able to change tyres in under 4 seconds!

Dave B
7th April 2011, 10:20
I don't miss refuelling, but you know what I do miss? On screen timing of pit stops! These days they only show you the total time spent in the pits, while that is probably more relevant to the teams, what I want to see is how quickly the pit crew can work, e.g. McLaren look particularly good at it, but are they better or not? We all want to marvel at teams being able to change tyres in under 4 seconds!

Yes and no :p

I agree that it was impressive to see some of the pitstop times, but it's far more useful to know and compare the total time the drivers spent in the pits, as this is (far too) frequently how races are won and lost. It's all well and good doing a <4 second tyre change, but if the lollipop man has to hold you while another car passes, then you fluff your getaway, that time is worthless.

Mark
7th April 2011, 11:24
Yes and no :p

I agree that it was impressive to see some of the pitstop times, but it's far more useful to know and compare the total time the drivers spent in the pits, as this is (far too) frequently how races are won and lost. It's all well and good doing a <4 second tyre change, but if the lollipop man has to hold you while another car passes, then you fluff your getaway, that time is worthless.

They couldn't show both?

555-04Q2
7th April 2011, 12:46
They couldn't show both?

They showed this at the OZ GP where the total time (+/- 26 seconds) and actual stopping time (+/- 4 seconds) were reflected.

Mark
7th April 2011, 13:09
Only rarely, and only after the car has exited the pits.

markabilly
7th April 2011, 13:43
I would say no pit stops at all except for emergencies but would we do for excitement?

Garry Walker
8th April 2011, 09:58
I don't miss refueling because I feel as if it was unsafe. Pit crews are under so much pressure to get a pitstop right the first time, so inevitably there will be errors. Refueling was pretty cool, but I'd rather lose that part of F1 rather than see someone get burned. Refuelling was in F1 for how long? And how many serious accidents did we have in that time?
[/QUOTE]
What I like about non-refueling racing is that the drivers have to deal with a car that is heavy with fuel at the beginning of the race, and the car's characteristic changes as the car burns away that fuel. I love that aspect about non-refueling![/QUOTE]That I can agree with.

I am dead set against it. Races with refuelling were nothing more than a series of sprints with no passing other than as a result of pit stops. Seldom was the strategy that resulted interesting either. Whereas things are far more interesting now with passes being made every lap?

wedge
10th April 2011, 15:15
Don't miss refuelling at all.

There should be greater on the emphasis on the driver rather than pit wall playing chess ie. pit passing.

Saying that, hot laps in the pit window was a skill itself that I respected.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th April 2011, 00:02

Vodafone Nissan Racing from BTCC 1999 are the team to beat when it comes to sub-4 second tyre changes. And they had wheel arches to contend with! :p

AndyL
11th April 2011, 10:21
Vodafone Nissan Racing from BTCC 1999 are the team to beat when it comes to sub-4 second tyre changes. And they had wheel arches to contend with! :p

They do 4-second pit stops in DTM too, including refuelling, with half the number of people that they use in F1... I can't help thinking that F1 pit stops are not as efficient as they could be.