PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Brands Hatch Round 1!

Allyc85
2nd April 2011, 10:06
First practise is under way, live timing here..

http://www.itv.com/sport/btcc/livetiming/default.html

AndySpeed
2nd April 2011, 10:08
Honda Racing have got a neat little live system - http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/btcc/live/

Allyc85
2nd April 2011, 10:34
That looks good!

No laps for Wrathall at that moment, Jordan fastest.

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 10:49
disapointment for the NGTC cars. No Pinkney on track, Wrathall only doing a explotary lap and Hughes 5 seconds off the pace

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 10:50
Just wondering, what time is qualifying? It'll be great to watch that on itv4 online today

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 10:54
disapointment for the NGTC cars. No Pinkney on track, Wrathall only doing a explotary lap and Hughes 5 seconds off the pace

Early days, after all Jordan fastest and Smith in 8th, both using NGTC spec engines

Allyc85
2nd April 2011, 11:03
Shedden had a bit of an off..

http://yfrog.com/gzi0pubj

Just wondering, what time is qualifying? It'll be great to watch that on itv4 online today

3.30pm :)

http://www.itv.com/sport/btcc/simulcast/default.html

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2011, 11:40
Shedden out for the rest of the weekend. His championship challenge lasting all of 20 minutes.

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 11:45
Shedden out for the rest of the weekend. His championship challenge lasting all of 20 minutes.

where did you find that out at?

MAX_THRUST
2nd April 2011, 11:47
WHAT TIME IS QUALIFYING????

Cant find any info on website

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2011, 11:48
where did you find that out at?

Its on Touring Car Times. Car is a right off. Team going to have to rush to build up a new one for Donington. Disaster really.

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 11:52

half 3 live on itv website

BDunnell
2nd April 2011, 12:00
That car indeed looks a mess — http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2322

MAX_THRUST
2nd April 2011, 12:01
Thanks Chris. Could get off my butt to go watch it at the circuit tomorrow but mothers day is interfering with that one.

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2011, 12:20
Seems TCT may have jumped the gun....AGAIN

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2011, 12:28
Damn shame for Gordon Shedden, if he can't race tomorrow he's just shot his title chances in the foot.

I hope Frank Wrathall and Dave Pinkney get out for the second session.

Anyone else thinking that there maybe a really high attrition rate in the races tomorrow considering just how many problems teams seem to be encountering?

You can find the full weekend timetable here: http://www.btcc.net/pdf/ci_1.pdf

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 12:28
Via Honda on Twitter...

Honda Racing #BTCC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23BTCC) pit update: A slow puncture is thought to have caused Flash's earlier crash - the team continue to work hard on repairs.

Looks like Honda aren't giving up then, hopefully they can sort it

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 12:54
More trouble for Wrathall as he pulls off the track

MattL
2nd April 2011, 13:12

The source is good... But the team don't want to give up yet.

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2011, 13:32
Andrew Jordan again fastest, I hope he can carry over this pace into qualifying. Nice to Wrathall getting in some laps. I guess the RAR Audi will make it's debut in qualifying with no testing what so ever.

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2011, 13:49
I think RAR might just start their season at Donington now. Don't expect to see the car out in qualifying.

BTCC.Net reports its still being finished. Really doubt we'll see it.

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 15:02
I think RAR might just start their season at Donington now. Don't expect to see the car out in qualifying.

BTCC.Net reports its still being finished. Really doubt we'll see it.

Pinkney posted before that they have a faulty injector, can't use AMD or STR spares as they use a different high pressure system to them. They're trying to find one otherwise they won't be in Qualy

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 15:19
3.30pm :)

Thanks

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 15:22
And heres the link for it

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2011, 15:32
Not up yet :s

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 15:36
it's up now

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 16:16
Neal gets pole, Chilton would have got 2nd had he not failed a ride height test

Tim Harvey said in comentary also that Shedden might still get back out for the races tomorrow, albeit starting down in 22nd, Pinkney should start 23rd if his Audi is ready

Chris2k6
2nd April 2011, 16:21
Neal gets pole, Chilton would have got 2nd had he not failed a ride height test

Tim Harvey said in comentary also that Shedden might still get back out for the races tomorrow, albeit starting down in 22nd, Pinkney should start 23rd if his Audi is ready

Harvey said he was 100% sure that Shedden would be out tomorrow after visiting the garage

Sarah
2nd April 2011, 16:21
Typical I lost my connection near the end - still really good to be able to watch it on pc. Owy's car looks good.

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2011, 16:23
Qualifying
1 Matt Neal 48.210
2 Andrew Jordan 48.465
3 Jason Plato 48.583
4 James Nash 48.623
5 Alex MacDowall 48.658
6 Mat Jackson 48.667
7 Tom Chilton 48.668
8 Tom Boardman 48.752
9 Paul O'Neill 48.849
10 Andy Neate 49.036
11 Tony Gilham 49.045
12 Rob Collard 49.130
13 Jeff Smith 49.176
14 Liam Griffin 49.220
15 Dave Newsham 49.248
16 Tom Onslow-Cole 49.540
17 Nick Foster 49.587
18 John George 50.065
19 Chris James 51.169
20 Frank Wrathall Jr. 51.449
21 Tony Hughes 51.735
22 Gordon Shedden -
23 Dave Pinkney -

Very good lap by Matt Neal to get pole position, though Arena will be cursing for failing that ride height test. Andrew Jordan and James Nash proving their pace is real too. Good times by Tom Boardman and Andy Neate.

F1boat
2nd April 2011, 21:16
Where to watch it, if I am outside the UK?

DazzlaF1
2nd April 2011, 21:17
From Rob Austin Racing's Facebook page

"Despite all the hard work by everyone, a faulty part prevented us from qualifying, hoping the car is able to show some of it's potential in tomorrow's races. Thanks everyone for your support."

So we could see them out tomorrow after all

mattie007
2nd April 2011, 23:19
23 cars? Thought we had 27?

cos
3rd April 2011, 00:00
23 cars? Thought we had 27?

23 cars at Brands...
24 AON Ford - Mike Earle said not at Bands, possibly later on in season
25 #13 RAR Audi - not yet built
26 Welch Proton - clearly stated on entry list entered from Snetterton
27 Wood Honda - clearly stated on entry list entered from Oulton

PDS
3rd April 2011, 00:38

Read the story, not just the headline!

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 00:43
But the headline was and is false! Surely the most important part of the story.

PDS
3rd April 2011, 08:57
But it was correct at the time it was posted.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 10:34
Dave's Audi is finally ready (talk about cutting it close) so surprisingly he'll be allowed to start today (from the pitlane) despite the car never having turned a wheel before.

F1boat
3rd April 2011, 11:20
Lol, the streaming is only for citizens of the UK - bizzare IMO.

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 11:35
No its because ITV only have the rights to show it in the UK. Not in Bulgaria or wherever you are sadly.

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 11:47
Seems like no Pinkney for Race 1

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 11:49
So Collard and Griffin have crashed on the warm up lap. Great start.

Allyc85
3rd April 2011, 16:43
Its happened to greater drivers, i.e. Schumacher ;)

I havnt seen the first race yet, but the second was decent enough. Race 3 starts in a bit :D

F1boat
3rd April 2011, 16:59
Well, that's why I am surprised - from what I know there is no intl LIVE coverage of the series and this can't hurt them. Still, I managed to catch the action and I am very very happy - Plato rules :D

JasonPotato
3rd April 2011, 17:37
Plato FTW! :D

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 17:41
The racing was a bit processional today, I thought. I can't help but feel that the Chevrolets are going to be nowhere at the faster circuits without TOCA stepping in to peg back the turbos — and how soon before the complaining about their pace, especially that of the Hondas which look stunningly fast, begins? James Nash drove really well today, as did Mat Jackson. Tony Gilham also had a good first BTCC outing. By contrast, the Aon Fords clearly aren't quite there yet (and what a shame neither that team nor Airwaves have a quick driver in their second car), and I fear WSR, despite Collard's best efforts, will be badly left behind this season. As for the NGTC cars, the less said the better. They look fantastic, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't put any money on their getting a single top 10 finish this season.

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 19:21
I'm very worried that these turbo engines are going to spoil the racing. It seems to me that that the turbo cars can pass the normal ones very easily, but the chances of a getting by a turbo is pretty much zero. There didn't seem to be a much passing amongst the turbos as normal either. Surely Chevrolet & WSR will have to look into turbo options now?

F1boat
3rd April 2011, 19:41
Race 3 was not as cool, but good for Neal to finally score a win. Plato drove very well, but the turbos are too fast. :)

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 19:48
I'm very worried that these turbo engines are going to spoil the racing. It seems to me that that the turbo cars can pass the normal ones very easily, but the chances of a getting by a turbo is pretty much zero. There didn't seem to be a much passing amongst the turbos as normal either. Surely Chevrolet & WSR will have to look into turbo options now?

Well, certainly the Hondas look unstoppable on speed, but even Jackson's Airwaves Ford was easily able to pull away from the Chevrolets by the end of the straight. It looked a bit closer between the Cruzes and some of the other turbos, for instance the Vauxhalls. I must say, I think an element of 'equalisation' is inevitable if things carry on this way, not that I agree with this sort of thing. Watching the 2010 review DVD the other week, it struck me how unnecessary it was to peg back the LPG turbo Focuses last year, because while they were so much quicker down the longer straights, it was still possible to pass them on the brakes, and their tyre degradation sometimes came into play. So, if that 'equalisation' was justifiable, I'm sure that a similar move will be deemed so in 2011.

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 19:53
I suspect after Donington practice there will be some form of restrictor on the NGTC engines. The engines have moved a long way forward from what Jordan/Pinkney used last year.

christophulus
3rd April 2011, 21:43
Not a bad way to start the year, but I agree there wasn't a lot of overtaking. I can see the NGTC + turbo engines being tweaked throughout the year which is probably a good thing.

The most important thing to take away was the large grids, which should only get bigger given how the new cars are half the price of the S2000s. They weren't fast, but S2000 has been around several years so I didn't expect the NGTC cars to blow them away at the first race! Get a top driver in one of those cars and it'll fly.

Wasted Talent
3rd April 2011, 21:55
Only watched race one so far as had to go out and the Missus wanted the video setting for "Lewis".

Agree that the Chevvies are going to suffer this season as things stand - too many turbo cars with much better power. Also agree with BDunnell that the Aon Fords had straightline speed last season but were lacking in braking and tyre preservation areas so it more than balanced out - looks like some tweaking definitely needed.

Can't believe that Shedden wasn't penalised for yet another disgraceful manouvre - Boardman was lucky he didn't get turned into the pitwall. Pathetic.

At least MacDowall's first lap taking off of Matt Neal seemed like over optimism or a genuine mistake whereas it was quite clear what Shedden was deliberately doing. As I say......pathetic

WT

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 22:03
The most important thing to take away was the large grids, which should only get bigger given how the new cars are half the price of the S2000s. They weren't fast, but S2000 has been around several years so I didn't expect the NGTC cars to blow them away at the first race! Get a top driver in one of those cars and it'll fly.

I'm not too sure that even a Giovanardi or a Thompson would be in the top 10 in an NGTC Avensis, to be honest. Those cars are, at the moment, clearly just slow and unreliable. I feel rather sorry for the teams and drivers running them, because all they can do is struggle round at the back. Frank Wrathall, especially, is someone who deserves better.

BDunnell
3rd April 2011, 22:06
At least MacDowall's first lap taking off of Matt Neal seemed like over optimism or a genuine mistake whereas it was quite clear what Shedden was deliberately doing.

MacDowall certainly had an eventful day. From btcc.net: 'Alex MacDowall was punished for several incidents at Brands Hatch: Race 1, 3 penalty points on his competition licence and fined £1000; Race 3, 20 seconds time penalty and 3 penalty points; Drivers Briefing, 1 penalty point and fined £150 (late attendance).'

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2011, 22:12
He'll have to watch out he doesn't get a 3-month ban!

VkmSpouge
3rd April 2011, 22:35
MacDowall certainly had an eventful day. From btcc.net: 'Alex MacDowall was punished for several incidents at Brands Hatch: Race 1, 3 penalty points on his competition licence and fined £1000; Race 3, 20 seconds time penalty and 3 penalty points; Drivers Briefing, 1 penalty point and fined £150 (late attendance).'

Not to mention the jump start in race two.

tisme
3rd April 2011, 23:56
Dave's Audi is finally ready (talk about cutting it close) so surprisingly he'll be allowed to start today (from the pitlane) despite the car never having turned a wheel before.

Didn't even get to the grid in race three. Pinkney stopped halfway round the circuit!

MrJan
4th April 2011, 11:46
Can't believe that Shedden wasn't penalised for yet another disgraceful manouvre - Boardman was lucky he didn't get turned into the pitwall. Pathetic.

Agreed. He was doing it all day too, just punting people from behind until they slipped wide and let him up the inside. I've never really liked/disliked Shedden but after yesterday's display I've firmly made up my mind. Didn't even make any kind of attempt to put the nose up the inside, just bumped his way through like it was a computer game. Tosser.

Turbos certainly seem to have too big an advantage at the moment. Brands only has a small straight but there was no way that Plato could get back through, and he was looking quick all day. At Thruxton and Silverstone it'll be taking the piss, although obviously the tyre wear thing will bugger them at Thruxton.

Sarah
4th April 2011, 14:26
I wasn't impressed with most of Shedden's "overtaking" either.

BDunnell
4th April 2011, 14:33
I wasn't impressed with most of Shedden's "overtaking" either.

Have just seen his 'moves' on Boardman in race one. Bit rough, but no worse than anyone else has ever done.

MrJan
4th April 2011, 14:37
Have just seen his 'moves' on Boardman in race one. Bit rough, but no worse than anyone else has ever done.

Worse, IMO than what MacDowell got a fine for on Neal. At least MacDowell had his nose up the inside, rather than just punting squarely into his rear so that he misses the apex. He wasn't even trying to overtake and, IIRC, he carried on with similar tactics in the other races too.

Dave B
4th April 2011, 14:48

It was a typically robust move from Shedden (and by "robust" I of course mean "unsporting"), but I can't shake the feeling that Tom didn't help his cause by appearing to retaliate with a nudge once Flash had made the pass. It all makes for exciting viewing, but the driving standards from some quarters were depressingly familiar.

Sarah
4th April 2011, 20:28

It wasn't just that move it was the way he was making his way through the pack hitting the backs of cars. Some people don't mind it...

MrJan
4th April 2011, 20:33
It was a typically robust move from Shedden (and by "robust" I of course mean "unsporting"), but I can't shake the feeling that Tom didn't help his cause by appearing to retaliate with a nudge once Flash had made the pass.

You can understand where Boardman was coming from though, he's been nerfed a good few times for Shedden to make his way past. It wasn't even like 'Flash' did it once by accident, he punted him into the corner then bashed his way up the inside until TB was on the grass and he was through. I'm a Plato fan, so not against a good bit of contact, but I can't see how there was any attempt to actually make a pass.

Sarah
4th April 2011, 20:41
And when he's in probably the best car out there is what I can't understand. I'm not against contact that's why we all love it but I do feel sorry for the guys not on big budgets when the cars are being damaged unnecessarily.

Allyc85
4th April 2011, 21:25
It wasn't just that move it was the way he was making his way through the pack hitting the backs of cars. Some people don't mind it...

I thought Flash was a bit OTT with the constant hitting myself, did he actually make a pass with out hitting anyone?

Wasted Talent
5th April 2011, 20:18
I thought Flash was a bit OTT with the constant hitting myself, did he actually make a pass with out hitting anyone?

Only when he'd hit them that hard they were out of shot................

WT

6th April 2011, 05:50
It will be a good competition as there are many favorites as per me.

Eurotech
6th April 2011, 18:01
What happened with Pinkney then? I didn't hear anything on him all weekend... :L

AndySpeed
6th April 2011, 19:42
What happened with Pinkney then? I didn't hear anything on him all weekend... :L

An unfinished car and problems with the injector, apparently. The car made it out late afternoon briefly, and was also doing some more work on the Ginetta rolling road.

It's a shame they've made the car look so incredibly uninteresting.

Eurotech
13th April 2011, 22:39
I like the livery on the car apart from the Rob Austin Racing logos which look stupid and old.

mousti
14th April 2011, 09:05
Anyone knows a place for a good stream for the BTCC? :)

wedge
14th April 2011, 14:12
It was a typically robust move from Shedden (and by "robust" I of course mean "unsporting"), but I can't shake the feeling that Tom didn't help his cause by appearing to retaliate with a nudge once Flash had made the pass. It all makes for exciting viewing, but the driving standards from some quarters were depressingly familiar.

Wasn't that bad at all.

Seen worse from Sheddon (a few seasons ago he was punting cars left, right & centre).

Nowt wrong with rubbing, rubbing's racing. Morse-code as Skaifey and Croppo call it down under. Its tolerated in V8SC and they clamp down on aggressive driving.

MrJan
14th April 2011, 15:35
Wasn't that bad at all.

Seen worse from Sheddon (a few seasons ago he was punting cars left, right & centre).

Nowt wrong with rubbing, rubbing's racing. Morse-code as Skaifey and Croppo call it down under. Its tolerated in V8SC and they clamp down on aggressive driving.

You rub door handles and wing mirrors, you punt back bumpers. Shedden barged into the back of cars in front, using them as braking devices and simultaneously pushing them wide, it was dirty racing and should be shunned.

Sarah
14th April 2011, 19:38
There have been quite a few people praising him elsewhere even saying he was the driver of the day !!!

PDS
14th April 2011, 21:32
There have been quite a few people praising him elsewhere even saying he was the driver of the day !!!

"Should have gone to Specsavers"!!!!

I've always wanted to say that!!! LOL

Allyc85
15th April 2011, 14:28
Driver of the day? Really? For me that was Nash or Gilham!

wedge
15th April 2011, 14:43
You rub door handles and wing mirrors, you punt back bumpers. Shedden barged into the back of cars in front, using them as braking devices and simultaneously pushing them wide, it was dirty racing and should be shunned.

It was a light tap, light push. Love-taps always always occur Druids because the inside line at corner entry offers good grip.

Some people call BTCC Premier League Banger Racing. Aggressive driving has been like that for years, and Gow has been an advocate. As they say in NASCAR: "let 'em have it, boys".

If you don't like it there's other tin top series.

Eurotech
15th April 2011, 18:25
It was a light tap, light push. Love-taps always always occur Druids because the inside line at corner entry offers good grip.

Some people call BTCC Premier League Banger Racing. Aggressive driving has been like that for years, and Gow has been an advocate. As they say in NASCAR: "let 'em have it, boys".

If you don't like it there's other tin top series.
Light taps are perfectly acceptable, pushing another car out of the way even though your car is by far the fastest on the grid and could get past easily if you thought about the move isn't.

MrJan
15th April 2011, 23:59
Light taps are perfectly acceptable, pushing another car out of the way even though your car is by far the fastest on the grid and could get past easily if you thought about the move isn't.

^^^ What he said. It was more than a light tap anyway, it pushed him a good foot or two off line. I love seeing close racing with a bit of contact (I'm a Plato fan ffs so sort of have to) but felt that Shedden crossed a line.

Got to laugh at the stupidity of the 'other tin tops series' line though, that's quality. Shedden pulls off a few moves that I feel are excessive and now I ought to drop my viewing of the top tin top series in the UK (and one that receives fantastic TV coverage) to go an watch something else instead. FFS there will be tossheads like 'Flash' in any competition you want to name, dunno about you but I'd rather complain about cheats than just let them get on with it and change my viewing habits.

I take it the driver of the day thing is down to him passing so many, no doubt people weren't clever enough to work out that that was mostly because the people he was overtaking were in new/low budget team and had a car that couldn't get near the Honda.

wedge
16th April 2011, 01:09
^^^ What he said. It was more than a light tap anyway, it pushed him a good foot or two off line. I love seeing close racing with a bit of contact (I'm a Plato fan ffs so sort of have to) but felt that Shedden crossed a line.

Got to laugh at the stupidity of the 'other tin tops series' line though, that's quality. Shedden pulls off a few moves that I feel are excessive and now I ought to drop my viewing of the top tin top series in the UK (and one that receives fantastic TV coverage) to go an watch something else instead. FFS there will be tossheads like 'Flash' in any competition you want to name, dunno about you but I'd rather complain about cheats than just let them get on with it and change my viewing habits.

V8SC clamps down on aggressive driving and issues penalties mid-race, even punting drivers off-line; whereas BTCC rarely does because Gow advocates that sort of thing - don't like it, don't part your money to TOCA. There's others who have given up on Premier League Banger Racing.

I prefer V8SC, but BTCC is like guilty pleasure for me.