PDA

View Full Version : Local Produce

GridGirl
1st April 2011, 12:26
I cooked Rhubarb and Beetroot soup for tea yesterday and apart from at one point when it looked like I'd sacrificed a small child in my kitchen I realised that I was cooking yet another meal thats contents (with the exception of the vegetable OXO stock cubes) had come from within a 10 to 15 mile distance of my house.

I absolutely love a local farm shop and try to buy as much of my meat and vegetables from it as possible. Luckily I am quite spoilt as the farm shop I visit has recently won a nation best on farm butchery award and has also won multiple Great Taste Awards which seem to be the Oscars of the food world. I think it once or still does hold the title of best roast beef in Britian. I tend to find prices are quite reasobable compared to supermarkets in most cases but when it comes to things like buying a joint of beef I really dont think I've seen anything like the quality of produce in a supermarket. Unless in a real emergency I wouldn't buy a joint of beef or lamb in a supermarket these days. :)

We also spend quite alot of time in the Lake District and now have our prefered farm shops that we buy from when we're away too. We also attended a local food festival near where we live last month which saw us buy locally made non-alcoholic punch, rapeseed oil and chutney's. I dont think there would be a point where I could completely ditch the supermarket but boy if I could there is lots of great local produce our there and I rather like trying it. :D