PDA

View Full Version : Mick Doohan IOM TT

suzukimad07
30th March 2011, 11:26
Grand Prix legend Mick Doohan to ride the TT Mountain course

http://cdn.iomtt.com/%7E/media/Secure/Press/Images/Gallery/TT2011/Preview/03/23/goodwoodij2_008.ashx?mw=200 (http://cdn.iomtt.com/%7E/media/Secure/Press/Images/Gallery/TT2011/Preview/03/23/goodwoodij2_008.ashx?mw=800)
enlarge (http://cdn.iomtt.com/%7E/media/Secure/Press/Images/Gallery/TT2011/Preview/03/23/goodwoodij2_008.ashx?mw=800)
Grand Prix legend Mick Doohan will ride the iconic Mountain course during the 2011 Isle of Man TT fuelled by Monster Energy.
The five-times 500cc World Champion will complete a lap of the course alongside Ian Hutchinson – who won all five solo TT races in 2010 – on June 8. Doohan will ride a Honda Fireblade during the Arai parade lap.
The Australian is one of the most successful racers in Grand Prix history, securing the 500cc World Championship in five consecutive years between 1994 and 1998. Only Giacomo Agostini with eight and Valentino Rossi with seven have scored more premier class world crowns.
Doohan’s visit will see him start the Monster Energy Supersport 2 race on June 8, when he will also be a guest in the VIP Hospitality suite. He is also to present the trophies after the PokerStars Senior TT on June 10 and, on June 9, there will be a chance for fans to meet him during the ‘Day of Champions’.
He said:
“I’m really looking forward to visiting the Isle of Man and seeing a race or two. I'm a massive fan of all bike sport and the TT Races has a huge pedigree and is obviously world-famous, so I want to go and see what all the fuss is about.”
“I have a great respect for what those guys do there – I’ve seen some YouTube footage and it looks mad. I’m sure when I’m sitting in someone’s front garden with a beer or a cup of nice English tea it will look even madder.”
“I’ve had a great relationship with Arai over the years and they are pretty involved as an Official Helmet partner so it will be great to dust down the leathers and get a lap of the famous Mountain Course as well as having the chance to meet some fans.”
Doohan, riding for Honda, dominated Grand Prix racing in the 1990s. Notably in 1997 he won 12 out of 15 races, finished second in two more and crashed out of the final event of the season while leading by more than six seconds.
In June 1996 Doohan was inducted as a Member of the Order of Australia for his contribution to the sport. In 1999, following an accident in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix, Doohan announced his retirement.
Isle of Man Government TT and Motorsport Manager Paul Phillips:
“This visit is a real coup for the TT organisation as Mick is truly one of the greatest and most flamboyant motorcycle riders of all time.”
“His visit will really boost the profile of the event and generate even more media coverage and I’m sure that TT fans will enjoy meeting this Australian legend.”

Bob Riebe
30th March 2011, 18:32
That is one event I hope to see before I am worm food.

markabilly
3rd April 2011, 16:19
That is one event I hope to see before I am worm food.

me, too.

Last year discovery HD had a number of videos shot by the BBC showing the events.

The PQ was outstanding, the scenery was stunning, the rider view from the bikes was breathtaking.

I think I am concerned about crowd control and safety for in many places there are no barriers (unless you call a brick or stone wall a "barrier")