PDA

View Full Version : Kimi Raikkonen is coming to Nascar!

RallyAnimal
29th March 2011, 22:20
Kimi is coming to Nascar. Go Kimi Go! http://rally-videos.com/kimi-raikkonen/kimi-raikkonen-goes-nascar/

Anubis
30th March 2011, 00:58
Truck series seems to be the place to go at the moment. Is this for the racing, or as a low(er) cost introduction to the Nationwide and Cup series? Not that I'm complaining, as the trucks are undoubtedly my favourite of the three by some distance.

AndrettiFan
30th March 2011, 01:43
According to Jayski, he is joining forces with Foster Gillett. And he is going to be racing a few CWTS races this year.

beachbum
30th March 2011, 03:08
Based on the history of the Gillette's this may be all hype and no substance.

I am evil Homer
30th March 2011, 13:26
I'd normally say "true" but Kimi has plenty of money to back this move up.

Mark
30th March 2011, 13:33
I think this is to be combined with a full WRC season too?

I guess Trucks are a good place to start, as you'll get a feel of the racing without having to mix it straight away in the top level series.

BDunnell
30th March 2011, 15:41
I think this is to be combined with a full WRC season too?

He's doing eight WRC rounds.

race aficionado
30th March 2011, 16:46
I the news of Kimi joining the NASCAR circus is true and we actually see him race on all the different ovals that this series has to offer, it would be very cool.

It's a tough and demanding sport and speaking for myself: since I started following NASCAR once JPM joined, I am really enjoying seeing him work his butt off and now be part of the elite racers in this crazy series.

Come on Kimi! - come and play.
:s mokin:

jens
30th March 2011, 17:01
Hmm, interesting. Aiming to participate in all motorsport serieses? Maybe in 2013 we will hear news about Kimi joining MotoGP. :)

UltimateDanGTR
30th March 2011, 18:07
No No No No.

Kimi: Come back to F1 now, it's where you belong and you're still good enough to be a world beater when motivated. Come back from America and bring Montoya with you!

Selfish rant over, I wish Kimi luck in whatever he does in motorsport, even if seeing him in anything other than an F1 car annoys me greatly. (for proof of this, see the above :D )

FIAT1
30th March 2011, 20:10
NUTS!!!

AndrettiFan
30th March 2011, 20:26
now be part of the elite racers in this crazy series.

That's a good one.

Garry Walker
30th March 2011, 20:35
Wow, was not expecting that.

I hear he is teaming up with a guy who is not very popular within NASCAR circles.

Mia 01
30th March 2011, 20:52
This was a suprise, but i like it a lot. Itīs a bit hard to follow him closley in ralley, NASCAR has very good media cover.

superocean
30th March 2011, 23:23
No No No No.

Kimi: Come back to F1 now, it's where you belong and you're still good enough to be a world beater when motivated. Come back from America and bring Montoya with you!

Selfish rant over, I wish Kimi luck in whatever he does in motorsport, even if seeing him in anything other than an F1 car annoys me greatly. (for proof of this, see the above :D )

I would love to see Kimi return and take Heidfelds seat this year to challenge for some wins along with Montoya as he was always entertaining as a highly competitive driver but would his McToya big butt fit into any of these cars? He'd have to go to a team without Kers as his butt would weigh the same as the Kers system.

BTW, Montoya's doing awesome these days in nascar. The guys is a competitor.

555-04Q2
31st March 2011, 10:59
Looks like NASCAR is becoming a dumping ground for washed up F1 drivers.

Mark
31st March 2011, 11:10

I don't think that's particularly fair on NASCAR tbh. Traditionally competitors have been able to keep going longer in NASCAR than in F1. Why I don't know? Less G-force perhaps and as such less physically demanding?

truefan72
31st March 2011, 11:43
ok, so it looks like Kimi is not coming back to f1

I guess he is bored looking at the pile of cash and wants to have some fun, but nascar is not what I expected.
now if he said he was going to Indycar, I would have really been excited. I think more F1 guys should head over there for the road races and elevate that series, to some of its former glory
...and get rid of the ovals

ArrowsFA1
31st March 2011, 11:45
Very unfair I'd say. From being a regional US sport NASCAR has become internationally known and is attracting drivers & team personnel from different disciplines.

Steve Hallam, Fernando Alonso's race engineer at McLaren in 2007 joined Michael Waltrip Racing (http://michaelwaltripracing.com/) in 2009. He talked about NASCAR in MotorSport (http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2010/11/22/latest-issue-%e2%80%93-january-2011/) a couple of months ago and made it quite clear how demanding the sport was not only in terms of the number of races but also from an engineering standpoint. Interesting stuff.

Eki
31st March 2011, 11:54
Hmm, interesting. Aiming to participate in all motorsport serieses? Maybe in 2013 we will hear news about Kimi joining MotoGP. :)
Maybe Motocross first. He has his own team for it already.

DexDexter
31st March 2011, 12:04

Hardly, and Kimi didn't wash up, he surfed. :p

Kimi just wants to try everything, he's probably bored with rallying already...

AndyL
31st March 2011, 14:47

Almost like DTM :)

I am evil Homer
31st March 2011, 15:26
Least NASCAR has the good ones....

Anubis
31st March 2011, 17:43
Least NASCAR has the good ones....

And Piquet Jnr...

Kevincal
31st March 2011, 17:55
nascar is pathetic and boring. it is where washed up f1 guys go... mixed in with the hillbilly rednecks. though i have to say F1 will be boring if vettel is another "ferrari schumacher" and wins everything in the coming years...

gloomyDAY
31st March 2011, 19:11
nascar is pathetic and boring. it is where washed up f1 guys go... mixed in with the hillbilly rednecks. though i have to say F1 will be boring if vettel is another "ferrari schumacher" and wins everything in the coming years...Back up there guy! What you're mentioning is all relative.

-Kimi didn't wash out of F1. He decided to leave on his own accord, and was still highly sought after by many teams after his separation from Ferrari.

-Rednecks? NASCAR's current champion is a SoCal kid and last time I checked, his neck didn't have any red pigmentation.

-I find it funny how you're so condescending towards NASCAR, but then on the next sentence you take a swipe at F1 for also being boring.

If you don't like the sport, then don't watch it!

AndrettiFan
31st March 2011, 19:38
I am wondering what the REAL Nascar fans, you know, the rednecks are thinking about more foreign drivers invading their good ol' Southern sport.

jens
31st March 2011, 20:17
By the way, one thing makes me curious about this NASCAR switch. They are very media-oriented and used to mentioning sponsors in every interview. Considering that Kimi is neither a fan of media nor PR, how would he deem those aspects?

Garry Walker
31st March 2011, 21:41

LOL. Typical ferrari fan.

Back up there guy! What you're mentioning is all relative.

-Kimi didn't wash out of F1. He decided to leave on his own accord, and was still highly sought after by many teams after his separation from Ferrari.
!
Red Bull offered him a seat for 2010, shame he didnt take it, he would have easily beaten Kettel last year.

Kevincal
1st April 2011, 02:08
seriously i can only stomach about 5 to 10 minutes of nascar coverage before i get sick of the sponsers, the rednecks, the cars going around in circles at the same speed. I just really despise it.... kimi will have hardly any fans in napcar. hes only doing it for the money and safety. the cars are super safe and you can get last place every race and nobody cares. nascar is a sponsor parade, not racing. he should be in f1 at ferrari or red bull. though i dont miss him and he comes off as a complete jerk who doesnt care about the fans at all. anyone seen the video where he mows down the 2 year old girl who wants his autograph? montoya is another piece of work that, i dont miss his personality at all but he was a great driver, though i remember him crashing like crazy at the end of his f1 career. anyways... nascar racing is a joke. someone explain to me how you can sit there and watch it for hours? its like a torture test to me... and back to f1, its gonna suck if vettel starts winning everything in sight, who agrees? its kinda looking that way... though mclaren are way faster than they were letting anyone on about, i knew they were sandbagging in testing...

airshifter
1st April 2011, 02:23
Yeah NASCAR is a complete joke.

That's why Montoya and Scott Speed instantly dominated in the series. :laugh:

I'll be glad to at least be able to catch some coverage of Kimi racing. I like rally for a short period, but can only watch so much as I get bored with time trial type racing.

As for NASCAR as with any big series it's completely different, but it's not as if it's a sport that doesn't require a specific skill set within a driver. When was the last time we saw drivers going through a corner 3 or 4 wide going 180+ mph in F1?

slorydn1
1st April 2011, 02:43
nascar is pathetic and boring. it is where washed up f1 guys go... mixed in with the hillbilly rednecks. though i have to say F1 will be boring if vettel is another "ferrari schumacher" and wins everything in the coming years...

Oh I reckon ya don't know much about Nascar, do ya hoss? I mean, shoot, what's the maximum amount of time an F1 driver will be in his open cockpit car, 2 hours if it goes to maximum time and gets shortened distance wise for some reason (which by then he has probably spent time out of the car in a rain out situation), and something like an hour and a half on average? By the time an F1 driver is back in the paddock getting his post race manicure a Nascar driver is just getting the crossed flags (halfway this time by) and still has another 1.5 to 2 hours of racing to do, all this in a closed cockpit car that gets to be over 140 degrees F on a cool day. And they actually do race in Nascar, not just follow the driver ahead in a picture perfect parade line around the track, each car crossing over the exact same spot in the corner as the next-the only passing that occurs in f1 is by penalty or pit stop, or if the blue flag is shown to a lapper, or team orders. Yet I'm not knocking F1. I enjoy it for what it is-a true technical spectacle engineered by the greatest automotive geniouses in the world (dulled down somewhat by cost cutting measures and the like). A nascar RACE has more on track green flag passes for the lead than f1 has for an entire SEASON. Surely not "pathetic and boring".

JPM didn't leave F1 for Nascar because he HAD to. He did to because he WANTED to. Villneuve really didnt have may choices left as even Indy Car teams didn't want him because he couldn't bring the $$$ to the seat with him. Piquet Jr probably could have gone to another open wheel series, I believe,, or maybe even sports cars, but KHI cut him a deal he couldn't refuse in the truck series.

Anyway, it's not easy. Montoya has now raced in 173 Nascar National touring series events (Thats combining the top level Sprint Cup Series, Nationwide Series, and Camping World Truck Series-Monty has not (yet) raced a truck) and he has accumlated a pedestrian 3 wins (all on road courses), 20 top 5's, 47 top 10's, and 6 poles, and has led 910 laps total. And he is arguably one of the most talented race car drivers in the world-PERIOD. He has won in Indy Car, F1, Sprint Cup, and Nationwide Series. won the Indy 500, the Grand Prix of Monaco, and came within a a few laps of winning a Daytona 500-oh and I forgot the 24 Hours of Daytona. And if Webber smacked a wall tomorrow and couldn't race for some reason Red Bull could put him in the car and he would be INSTANTLY relevent (I'm not gonna go off the deep end an say that he would kick Vettel's tail all over the place, but with in a race or 2 he would definitly be a headache for the young German.)- Hardly a "washed up" F1 driver.

Kimi is a WDC and for that alone he deserves my respect. If he want's to come take a shot at Nascar, I say let him. We certainly could use another charechter in our sport.

As for the "hillbilly" rednecks wise crack: Nascar is no longer a regional southeastern US sport, it hasn't been for DECADES. And as one of the millions of fans here in the US that follow all forms of motor racing, I find it both derogatory and offensive and that WILL NOT be tolerated. Have I made myself clear?

POS_Maggott
1st April 2011, 05:04
As for the "hillbilly" rednecks wise crack: Nascar is no longer a regional southeastern US sport, it hasn't been for DECADES. And as one of the millions of fans here in the US that follow all forms of motor racing, I find it both derogatory and offensive and that WILL NOT be tolerated. Have I made myself clear?

I feel like it's necessary to also point out that a lot of Formula One engineers are taking jobs with top flight NASCAR teams. I have friends in Charlotte that work around and for teams in all the different levels of NASCAR, and the reason behind these guys coming over is largely because it presents a bigger challenge due to the restrictions, and a better chance of making a competitive difference within a team...

I think that says quite a bit for this redneck sport, huh?

gloomyDAY
1st April 2011, 06:07
By the way, one thing makes me curious about this NASCAR switch. They are very media-oriented and used to mentioning sponsors in every interview. Considering that Kimi is neither a fan of media nor PR, how would he deem those aspects?This is what I posted in the rally thread.

Kimi is going to NASCAR?

I'm not sure that's the best option for Kimi. NASCAR is more demanding when it comes to PR! This isn't the best racing series for Kimi because he's typically a guy who's low key and private. Take Jim Johnson as an example. He's a multiple NASCAR champ, but fans don't really take a great liking to him because he's not as radiant as the other drivers.This has to be a one-off for Kimi. I just don't see him being remotely successful in NASCAR.

Red Bull offered him a seat for 2010, shame he didnt take it, he would have easily beaten Kettel last year.Ha! I didn't know you were a comedian.

Call Seb by Kettle, it's a great vodka.

555-04Q2
1st April 2011, 11:05
I've tried watching NASCAR a few times and was bored after about 3 laps each time. Even races at tracks like Road America bored me to tears and ovals are 10 times worse to watch. You Americans must be really hard up for a decent racing series if you can pack oval tracks to watch NASCAR :p :

Mark
1st April 2011, 11:27
I've tried watching NASCAR a few times and was bored after about 3 laps each time. Even races at tracks like Road America bored me to tears and ovals are 10 times worse to watch. You Americans must be really hard up for a decent racing series if you can pack oval tracks to watch NASCAR :p :

That's your problem, it's about much more than just 3 laps. It's about strategies that play out over hundreds of laps. It's not like F1 where you have an overtake or no-overtake quickly. Oval racing takes a bit of getting into, but it's worth it once you 'get' it.

Alexamateo
1st April 2011, 13:41

Hey, if I can learn to watch soccer and like it, you can learn to watch Nascar! :p ;) :)

555-04Q2
1st April 2011, 14:47
Hey, if I can learn to watch soccer and like it, you can learn to watch Nascar! :p ;) :)

:p : You must watch rugby. If you like American Football, you will love rugby ;)

555-04Q2
1st April 2011, 14:52
That's your problem, it's about much more than just 3 laps. It's about strategies that play out over hundreds of laps. It's not like F1 where you have an overtake or no-overtake quickly. Oval racing takes a bit of getting into, but it's worth it once you 'get' it.

The most I managed once was about 200 odd laps of a race at Indy I think it was. The only reason I watched was because there was nothing else of interest on the telly and I was too lazy to get up off the couch and kick start my PS3. I hated most of it, except where there was a minor crash (no one was hurt) that spiced things up before what looked like a Chrysler Neon backed up the cars. I still don't see the point of it. It was the first time my wife was right when she said, "All they do is go round and round. How boring!". Agreed with her on that one!

I deserve a medal for only falling asleep after 200 laps :D

DexDexter
1st April 2011, 15:46

No it's not, it's just plain boring.

race aficionado
1st April 2011, 15:48

Also, there are ovals and there are ovals.

In other words, each oval race track is different than the other and once you start getting into it and start learning about the nuances of each one - and like in my case where I follow JPM you are paying attention to how your man and team is doing and where he is in the track- it gets to be a lot of fun.

I also love the fact that cars can touch and bump and not break into carbon fiber smithereens.

And again, to each his own.
:s mokin:

Mia 01
1st April 2011, 16:36
I started to watch some races when Monty entered NASCAR an I have to say that itīs not to bad. If Monty and Kimi races in the same race, well, for me it will be a lot of fun.

jens
2nd April 2011, 10:16
I am not negative about NASCAR like some people here. When in Autumn last year I tried out a NASCAR game ( :p :) , I realised, how challenging it is and my respect for the series grew significantly. Even just a tiny mistake or a miscalculation can cost you tons of positions. While in F1 the track stays constant, then in NASCAR the track races together with you at 200mph. :p :

No wonder that only very experienced drivers are successful in NASCAR. You don't see a Hamilton or Villeneuve joining and fighting for the title on their debut season. Montoya has been racing around for years and only in last couple of years has tasted some mild success. Kimi is literally going to race for fun without any expectation of results - well as long as he gets bored of giving interviews.

MAX_THRUST
2nd April 2011, 11:56
It kills me when people are on here slagging off NASCAR, when they take the time to go on the NASCAR forum? dont get it. I love my racing NASCAR F1 INDY CAR ALMS BTCC. Its all good racing and I love it. Sometimes the odd NASCAR race is dull, but then so are the other series on occasion. Enjoy your racing and enjoy the diversity of the OVALS versus road courses. different mind set and skills required for both types of tracks, thats why i prefer Indy Car over most series, but I do love oval racing,its nuts. Always has been and always will be.

Oh and oval racing started in europe and then was done properly in the US.

DexDexter
2nd April 2011, 16:39
It kills me when people are on here slagging off NASCAR, when they take the time to go on the NASCAR forum? dont get it. I love my racing NASCAR F1 INDY CAR ALMS BTCC. Its all good racing and I love it. Sometimes the odd NASCAR race is dull, but then so are the other series on occasion. Enjoy your racing and enjoy the diversity of the OVALS versus road courses. different mind set and skills required for both types of tracks, thats why i prefer Indy Car over most series, but I do love oval racing,its nuts. Always has been and always will be.

I stated that oval racing is boring, because that's how I feel. I followed CART for many years and I always hated the oval races simply cause I got bored. What am I supposed to say?

Mark
2nd April 2011, 19:21
Nothing. Don't post in the NASCAR forum if you don't like NASCAR.

DexDexter
2nd April 2011, 19:36

I didn't, it was linked on the F1 forum. Anyway, each to his own.

ioan
2nd April 2011, 21:09
Good luck to him.

MD24
3rd April 2011, 05:59
Kyle Busch Motorsports (KBM) announced today that they have signed former Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen to drive a limited schedule in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series during the 2011 season. Raikkonen is scheduled to make his NASCAR debut as a teammate to owner Kyle Busch in the N.C. Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 20.

http://kylebuschmotorsports.com/news/entry.php?nid=133

nigelred5
3rd April 2011, 17:15
I'm excited to see him race and I hope to see him racing for more than just 5 races. He's been criticized for driving in Rally. IMHO, it takes elephant nads to drive like that in the conditions they do. I hate the specialization of most of today's racers and I welcome seeing another top flight drivers participation in another discipline. I'd much rather see champions taking on new challenges, spreading out and racing in multiple disciplines and different series and forms of racing. Hell, Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a one and done mentality. Villeneuve should have packed it in about two years into the BAR fiasco and Schummi, well, I would much rather have seen him take up sportscars or something than coming back to F1 after such a break.

Just like all forms of racing, you really have to have attended some oval races in person to understand the tracks and enjoy them. I absolutely love Richmond and Dover for Nascar, but I could barely watch Indycars at Richmond and Dover was the biggest joke of an Indycar race I have ever seen. IMHO, INDY sucks for nascar. Not a big fan of Pocono, even though I attend occasionally. Some oval tracks I find insanely boring, no matter who is racing there. I can't stand Kansas, Chicagoland and Kentucky, no matter what series is racing. I don't really like Fontana for NASCAR, but Indycars there were amazing. Michigan is a little better for NASCAR and Indycars were legendary in the CART years. Martinsville is packed with action to some folks, but I can't stand to watch it and rarely even check to see who won. I'll be doing yard work today If I ever get my backside off of the couch. I never understood how dirt oval racing has never deveoped more of a TV presence, but in many ways I'm glad it hasn't. I love that it's accessable to the grass roots backyard garage guy.

Oval racing is an entirely different sport from road racing in a lot of ways. It is about strategy, endurance, patience. I love that a good driver in a good car can dominate, come across adversity during the race, and get right back into contention by the end of the race. I can't stand to watch soccer as a spectator, but I love to play it. I cant for the life of me fathom how anyone enjoys watching cricket, but there again, different strokes..... bring it on Kimi.!

F1boat
3rd April 2011, 21:22
NASCAR is obviously a very popular and demanding series and also obviously is difficult to win. As someone pointed, you don't see kids coming and running away with the championship although they can win the Daytona 500, if I am not mistaken. I also have to agree that for me this kind of racing is not very exciting - the passes are many, but you don't feel excited by them as they are kinda expected. The races are also way too long, like an endurance championship and for me there is the biggest problem, the cars are ugly, they look somehow deformed to me. But it's MY taste and I understand that probably I can't understand the rules or the idea. Or, as some user said, it's deeply strategical championship and it's not my cup of taste. Recently I have become very fond of touring cars racing - I would have prefered to see Kimi in the WTCC. But still, best luck to him in NASCAR and hopefully he'll entertain the fans.

DanicaFan
3rd April 2011, 22:38
Im curious to see how he does too. He will be in the best equipment so he will have no excuses about that. We will see how good he really is.

Anubis
4th April 2011, 00:28
Im curious to see how he does too. He will be in the best equipment so he will have no excuses about that. We will see how good he really is.

Resisting the obvious Danica gag, per the press release, I think 18 F1 wins, 62 podiums and a World Championship should tell us he's pretty good. Be interesting to see how he goes. More interesting to see how the series takes to him, given his somewhat monosyllabic nature doesn't seem like a natural fit for NASCAR. That said, it IS nice to see a driver who seemingly wants to have a crack at everything for the sake of doing it, and if he IS working on a NASCAR career, he's at least doing it the right way by working up. Personally, I love the truck series and this will just give me more reason to watch it.

ETA - now put Kyle in an F1 car...

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:23

Well here's two problems.

First off Kimi aint in F1 anymore so there shouldnt be a thread about him in F1. I thought we all understood this about ex drivers.
Secondly, this thread was in the F1 section, not the NASCAR section.

Therefore I feel I am entitled to say.....NASCAR is boring as feck!

Mia 01
4th April 2011, 06:51
Is Kimi going to test the trucks this week?

markabilly
4th April 2011, 10:24
Until I went, or should I say, I was forced to go to a big oval event by certain circumstances, I would agree. BORING

However, when there in person, after a beer or two and some BBQ ribs, I felt (yeah literally felt) the noise, the thunder and all those cars going this extreme high speed, drafting and passing, bumping and dodging. Felt the stands and the ground shaking.

Quite an experience.

If I had not seen Grand Prix on the old three panel cinerama screen when it first came out in 67, I might never have been hooked on road racing and F1.

I think it the same for Nascar oval tracks for those who go to their first big auto race at such a forum, they can get addicted real easy. For whatever reason, I am not so addicted as I think the other events of motorcycle racing and other road racing such as F1, leaves too little room for Nascar.

For me, it is like soceer or rugby. Incredibly boring to watch on TV, but an absolute blast to play.....well, back when I was young enough to be able to run

Watch a Nascar oval race on TV, i just do not. Go to a race in person, yeah, I hate to say it, go in a heartbeat under the right circumstances

Mark
4th April 2011, 13:22
Remember that many people use the 'boring' tag for F1 and other types of motorsport too.

nigelred5
4th April 2011, 13:37
There's no denying some if not many F1 races are just as boring as some Nascar races. Qualifying is far more exciting than hte race. Valencia comes to mind. It's about as artificial of a racing environment as I can imagine. Even the city doesn't look real on TV. It reminds me of the Lights, Motors, Action! show set at Disney Holllywood Studios, except the racing isn't as interesting.

aryan
5th April 2011, 01:21
Oh god! No! Before this, I still had a faint hope somewhere within me that I might see the champ back in F1. Where he belongs. Now that he's off to Nascar...

I still haven't gotten over F1 without Kimi. I just can't!

Azumanga Davo
5th April 2011, 07:09
He's topped the table in a sport where the "best of the best (and sometimes Badoer)" congregate. He's made his money, so I don't blame him for searching new series for his pleasure and enjoyment.

I say good on him.

jens
5th April 2011, 16:02
Oh god! No! Before this, I still had a faint hope somewhere within me that I might see the champ back in F1. Where he belongs. Now that he's off to Nascar...

I still haven't gotten over F1 without Kimi. I just can't!

But a real fan should first and foremost respect the thinking of the favourite driver. ;) Why would a fan want his favourite to do something (F1) that he does not want to do? A real fan can't oppose his favourite's wishes, just has to accept them.

Nem14
5th April 2011, 21:09
Kimi is a ride buyer. $100,000 per truck race according to Autoracing1's article Update: http://autoracing1.com/rumors.asp?tid=10063.

More power to him.

Mark
6th April 2011, 08:43
One would assume that if he does well there he'll get a paid - or at least not paid for drive higher up the rankings. And if he wants to spend $100,000 per race and he can afford it, then why not! There is a big difference between a Formula 1 World Champion who by that very nature is an exceptional race driver paying for a race, and some nobody with no racing experience who's going to get in everyones way.

I am evil Homer
6th April 2011, 09:21
Kimi is a ride buyer. $100,000 per truck race according to Autoracing1's article Update: http://autoracing1.com/rumors.asp?tid=10063.

More power to him.

Ride buyer maybe. More talented than a lot of the field? Definitely.

DexDexter
6th April 2011, 12:51
But a real fan should first and foremost respect the thinking of the favourite driver. ;) Why would a fan want his favourite to do something (F1) that he does not want to do? A real fan can't oppose his favourite's wishes, just has to accept them.

Kimi is just having fun trying out different sorts of cars. To me he's retired from his profession and rallying and this are just hobbies, a way to spend some extra money.

F1boat
6th April 2011, 15:44
Kimi is just having fun trying out different sorts of cars. To me he's retired from his profession and rallying and this are just hobbies, a way to spend some extra money.

It seems so. I'd like to see him competing in the WTCC, I think that he'll enjoy it.

nigelred5
6th April 2011, 16:02

pretty much what I feel as well. he's under zero pressure to perform. $100K a ride for some fun in a guaranteed top 10, maybe top 5 equipment and team. He's got the cash.

That's like me showing up at the Petty Experience with some cash and having a little fun while the kids are waiting in line at the Dumbo Ride

Lee Roy
6th April 2011, 16:44
autoracing1.com - a place known more for its biases than it's accuracy.

Lee Roy
6th April 2011, 18:18
autoracing1.com - a place known more for its biases than it's accuracy.

Well, I guess an apolgy is appropriate.

jeffmr2
6th April 2011, 23:39
:p : You must watch rugby. If you like American Football, you will love rugby ;)

A rugby fan calling nascar boring,oh the irony lol!!
An 80 minute game with about 50 mins of so-called action,then theres the men rolling around the floor grappling each other and also the ball is the wrong shape- see how easy it is to slag off sports you dont like but what does it achieve?

nigelred5
7th April 2011, 01:40
http://www.perkyjerky.com/kimi-release/

Fitting sponsor considering his general public demeanor. ;)

powdajohn
7th April 2011, 05:52
No No No No.

Kimi: Come back to F1 now, it's where you belong...

This is exactly what I want to say but looks like F1 racers are lured by NASCAR.

555-04Q2
7th April 2011, 06:03
A rugby fan calling nascar boring,oh the irony lol!!
An 80 minute game with about 50 mins of so-called action,then theres the men rolling around the floor grappling each other and also the ball is the wrong shape- see how easy it is to slag off sports you dont like but what does it achieve?

Rugby aint played by rednecks ;)

Mark
7th April 2011, 08:34
This is exactly what I want to say but looks like F1 racers are lured by NASCAR.

It's hardly a long tradition tho, we've got Montoya and Kimi, and, that's it?!

DexDexter
7th April 2011, 08:36

Kimi hasn't driven in F1 for years one can now say.

CaptainRaiden
7th April 2011, 09:57

And Nelson Piquet Jr. :p (Although I'm not sure whether it was Nascar he went to).

Mark
7th April 2011, 09:58
And Nelson Piquet Jr. :p (Although I'm not sure whether it was Nascar he went to).

Yes, he's driving trucks according to Wikipedia, presumably alongside Kimi.

Robinho
7th April 2011, 11:16
i think it will be more likely to be behind rather than alongside!

slorydn1
7th April 2011, 16:32

Yes, he's driving trucks according to Wikipedia, presumably alongside Kimi.

Yep-Piquet is driving the 3rd KHI truck, the #8.

http://www.kevinharvickinc.com/index.php/teams/truck-8/

nigelred5
7th April 2011, 19:25
Rugby aint played by rednecks ;)

Sure they do. Matter of fact, we start kids playing rugby at age 6 here. ;)

nigelred5
7th April 2011, 19:29

Well you can add scott speed and villeneuve as well, though I don't know if I would say either was "lured" by NASCAR, or by a paycheck.

Don Capps
7th April 2011, 20:29

Having managed to miss any previous mention of this historical feat, the birth and development of oval racing being European in origin, I would be interested in knowing more.

Barreis
7th April 2011, 22:51
Good for Kimi and bad for WRC.

call_me_andrew
8th April 2011, 03:00

Narain Karthikeyan went from F1 to NASCAR Trucks and back to F1.

nigelred5
8th April 2011, 12:12
Having managed to miss any previous mention of this historical feat, the birth and development of oval racing being European in origin, I would be interested in knowing more.

ever Heard of The Brooklands?

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/2008-Bentley-Brooklands-Brooklands-Racetrack-1280x960.jpg

Don Capps
8th April 2011, 13:49

ever Heard of The Brooklands?

Sorry, but to claim that Europe -- and Brooklands in particular, is the origin of oval track racing simply does not seem to square with the research done by automotive historians.

The Narragansett Fair Grounds in Cranston, Rhode Island, had an oval track racing event for automobiles as early as September 1896. This may have been the first automobile race in the modern sense of the term -- cars comppeting head-to-head on a closed track. Indeed, you can even find an oval track contest between two self-propelled "steam wagons" in Wisconsin in August 1878.

By the opening of the Brooklands track in July 1907, oval track racing was already quite commonplace in the United States. In 1905, the American Automobile Association held the National Motor Car Championship -- the earliest such automotive championship that we are aware of -- that was conducted exclusively on oval tracks. One of those tracks, Morris Park, was converted to use exclusively for automobile contests that year.

When the Brooklands track held its first event in July 1907, there had already been many, many autombile races held on oval tracks in the United States. I literally have page after page after page after page of such race records prior to the opening of Brooklands, easily, the number ofsuch events is well into the hundreds I would guess.

If we automotive historians have been so terribly mistaken all these years, then please correct our errors regarding the origins of oval track racing.

Lee Roy
8th April 2011, 14:24
Back on the topic of Raikkonen to NASCAR.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=auto&id=6304943

April 7, 2011

Kimi Raikkonen is testing well in NASCAR. So good, in fact, that he is already matching lap times with Kyle Busch, the owner of the truck the Formula One world champion will race.

Raikkonen did more testing Thursday in Rockingham, N.C., after two days earlier this week at Gresham Motorsports Park in Georgia attended by Busch.

All this comes less than a week after Raikkonen signed with Kyle Busch Motorsports to make his NASCAR debut next month in a Trucks Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

"The test went really well at Gresham. Kimi is a race car driver, so he does know how to drive race cars and drive them well," Busch said Thursday. "I got to see it firsthand, and then got to get in the truck myself and run some laps just to kind of see where I compared to where he was at on tires and stuff, and we ran identical lap times. So he's right there, he knows what he's doing."

. . . . . . .

Busch said Raikkonen has also expressed interest in running Sprint Cup and Nationwide races, but Busch said will be re-evaluated after the first race in the truck.

"As far as the Nationwide and Cup stuff goes, we haven't had any discussions on that," Busch said. "He has asked after the truck debut in Charlotte, which is what our first focus is, kind of evaluating and seeing where he's at and how he feels and what he wants to do."

BDunnell
8th April 2011, 14:42
When the Brooklands track held its first event in July 1907, there had already been many, many autombile races held on oval tracks in the United States.

Were these US tracks banked ovals?

nigelred5
8th April 2011, 18:43
to my knowledge, they weren't paved, nor banked, but I accept there had been automobile contests on fairgrounds and horse tracks, neither of which were unique to the US at that time. the Brooklands is however generally acknowledged as the first purpose built, paved race track for automobile racing and happens to be a high banked, "squished" oval. It's open to much debate where the first sanctioned race was.

Don Capps
8th April 2011, 19:06
to my knowledge, they weren't paved, nor banked, but I accept there had been automobile contests on fairgrounds and horse tracks, neither of which were unique to the US at that time. the Brooklands is however generally acknowledged as the first purpose built, paved race track for automobile racing and happens to be a high banked, "squished" oval. It's open to much debate where the first sanctioned race was.

Note: I have open a thread elsewhere to deal with this specific topic and allow the discussion here continue on Raikkonen's impending arrival in NASCAR.

call_me_andrew
9th April 2011, 04:02
Milwaukee Mile opened 4 years before Brooklands, but it wasn't paved until 1954.

Mia 01
9th April 2011, 12:09
Me like, Kimi and NASCAR.

markabilly
9th April 2011, 13:54
wait until kimi wins a race, with his mumbling, and he is suppose to say the usual "Pepsi, Bank of American, Exide, Sprint, (whoever else)....ran great" as properly trained Nascar winners all say, and it comes out, "er der uh kar err er peps exi err ....." His sponsors will be like gone with the wind, coming to a theater near you soon

Mia 01
9th April 2011, 15:38
wait until kimi wins a race, with his mumbling, and he is suppose to say the usual "Pepsi, Bank of American, Exide, Sprint, (whoever else)....ran great" as properly trained Nascar winners all say, and it comes out, "er der uh kar err er peps exi err ....." His sponsors will be like gone with the wind, coming to a theater near you soon

Kimi is the most popular driver in the world, even his enemies know this.

markabilly
9th April 2011, 16:34
Kimi is the most popular driver in the world, even his enemies know this.

yeah, but will his sponsors be so understanding.....there were nascar drivers who were not coming up to the line on being a good sponsor kind of driver, and they quickly learned that if they wanted a sponsor, they better practice those speeches...and make those walmart appearances, sign those autographs..smile the smile....

Indeed, there are specialist coaches who many a driver goes to see, for just this sort of stuff.

Big Ben
9th April 2011, 19:06
sad news.... good luck to him turning left... I hoped heīd come back to F1 but now all hope is dead I guess. Interesting that he wants to drive only in top teams in F1 but he would drive in nascar

Mia 01
9th April 2011, 20:14
sad news.... good luck to him turning left... I hoped heīd come back to F1 but now all hope is dead I guess. Interesting that he wants to drive only in top teams in F1 but he would drive in nascar

_____Donīt think so, he will be back.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2011, 08:40
It is comical, reading what F1 people think of NASCAR, and of course, we all know that F1 races can be as exciting to watch as paint dry. I have a NASCAR buddy who wont WATCH an f1 race if his life depended on it, and this guy watches Sebring and the Rolex 24 every year plus LeMans. So he isn't completely stupid to road racing. Yet he wont watch f1. Then I have another buddy who see's f1 as the pinnacle and NASCAR as a nap looking for a place to happen. The reality? Both of em are pinheads. Racing is unique in that you can find different flavours of it, and all types test different aspects of the racer's mind and body. NASCAR isn't big on sheer speed, but it does require is toughness, aggressiveness at times; endurance, and understanding how a track changes and making the car react differently. What is more, a NASCAR driver is driving one of the toughest and most adaptable machines around. It isn't fragile, you can bump and bang with it; you can push and shove, or be pushed and shoved. Yet small changes will change how it drives. NASCAR is just a different form of racing from anything else out there, and with 850hp plus, those small tires and those big ovals, the car is on ragged edge far more than it appears. Watching Tony Stewart on a qualifying run with the back end sliding out at 195 Mph at Vegas this year, I realized just how much car control these guys exert.

For a guy like Kimi Raikkonen, he will love the challenge. Most f1 guys who have come over since Montoya have all said no matter what that it wasn't as easy as they originally thought, and they have a whole new world of respect for the sport. It isn't a southern sport really any more, and it is becoming the most unique form of racing going. Damn right Kimi will like it.....although he will have to open a little to the press. Then again, everything is more relaxed in the garages or pits in NASCAR land....it isn't like f1 where a million people are hanging on every word to rip you apart. In NASCAR, you just say what is on your mind, and yes, while you have to say your sponsors, so be it...that is the toughest part of it.

jens
10th April 2011, 15:15
Interesting that he wants to drive only in top teams in F1 but he would drive in nascar

I don't think he even wants to drive for top teams in F1. Those negotiations with McLaren in late-09 seem more like a game in retrospect.

wedge
10th April 2011, 15:30
Only problem with Kimi racing in NASCAR is his rapport with the media. Hopefully fans will identify him with his driving prowess and bravery, as do Kimi fans across the world.

markabilly
10th April 2011, 15:44
Only problem with Kimi racing in NASCAR is his rapport with the media. Hopefully fans will identify him with his driving prowess and bravery, as do Kimi fans across the world.

Yeah, he had a reputation for ducking out on those high flying F1 media and sponsor events.

wonder how he is going to do with the Target store, kmart store, sign and shine events that fans love to go see....?????

janneppi
10th April 2011, 18:06
I would think at this point in Kimi's career he's smart enough to make sponsor deals which don't make his life too difficult. So probably not too many visits to local Kwik-E-Mart.

aryan
12th April 2011, 03:28

Oh absolutely, I accept that. I know he's having more fun outside of F1, and I respect his choice.

But the Kimi fan in me just yearns for things to have turned out differently in an alternate universe...

Malbec
12th April 2011, 22:01
I don't think he even wants to drive for top teams in F1. Those negotiations with McLaren in late-09 seem more like a game in retrospect.

I agree.

Kimi is doing what I'd love to be doing, wandering around trying out as many different types of motorsport as he can before he gets too old.

I don't think Kimi will stay long in NASCAR though, once he's done a few seasons he'll find something else that takes his fancy then move on. The question is after F1, rallying and NASCAR whats going to be interesting and different enough to attract him? Motorbikes?

Mia 01
13th April 2011, 10:53
I agree.

Kimi is doing what I'd love to be doing, wandering around trying out as many different types of motorsport as he can before he gets too old.

I don't think Kimi will stay long in NASCAR though, once he's done a few seasons he'll find something else that takes his fancy then move on. The question is after F1, rallying and NASCAR whats going to be interesting and different enough to attract him? Motorbikes?

F1 I suppose, the task to be champ again. Thinks he will do better than MS.

Jag_Warrior
17th April 2011, 21:18

I hear he is teaming up with a guy who is not very popular within NASCAR circles.

He's teaming up with a guy who is probably the best natural talent I've seen in NASCAR in a long while: Kyle Busch. But no, he's not overly loved by fans or other drivers. Why? Because he's rather brash... and he can win in any of the various NASCAR series (on the same weekend). But Busch's winning talent in NASCAR gives him access to sponsorship.

Which leads to another point: 15-20 years ago, ex F1 drivers (the good, the bad and the ugly) would have chosen CART, if coming to North America. Now, except for Bourdais, it seems that no ex F1 drivers are willing to drive in American open wheel. Part of it is probably because they'd rather get paid than have to pay to race a car. And with the IRL still in the sponsorship doldrums, who can blame Montoya, Villeneuve, Piquet, Speed and Raikkonen for choosing NASCAR over the IRL? Still, I hope Raikkonen does a race near me so that I can watch him in person.

wedge
18th April 2011, 15:02

How is it surprising? Drives WRC, raced power boats under the moniker James Hunt (whilst dressed as a gorilla!). He has already admitted he was born in the wrong decade.

SteveA
21st April 2011, 08:49
The question is after F1, rallying and NASCAR whats going to be interesting and different enough to attract him? Motorbikes?

Top Fuel!

F1boat
21st April 2011, 09:11
Top Fuel!

:D

nigelred5
25th April 2011, 19:23
Poker Runs! :)

http://bikerscafeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/0000-540x359.jpg

Maybe a little side hack....

http://www.niot.net/blog-images/28_Mar/formula-for-disaster-ferrari-hyabusa-trike-on-display-in-tokyo.jpg :eek

ArrowsFA1
28th April 2011, 12:48
Premier Sports is delighted to announce it will broadcast Kimi Raikkonen's first NASCAR Truck race live and free
https://twitter.com/#!/PremierSportsTV/status/63552293567602688

motormaniac
30th May 2011, 14:56
Kimi was actually very good these two races - watched them both. Sad the car was not that good as a driver. Link (http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/5/28/2195245/kimi-raikkonen-nascar-nationwide-series-charlotte-2011).

nigelred5
30th May 2011, 15:59
It really wasn't just Kimi's truck and car, everyone was crazy loose all weekend. It's been ungodly hot on the east coast for well over a week and the track at CMS was a beast this week. I though he did pretty well in the Nationwide race considering that deal was a last minute thing put together in a matter of days.

DexDexter
30th May 2011, 19:42
It really wasn't just Kimi's truck and car, everyone was crazy loose all weekend. It's been ungodly hot on the east coast for well over a week and the track at CMS was a beast this week. I though he did pretty well in the Nationwide race considering that deal was a last minute thing put together in a matter of days.

Yep, I agree. BTW, Kimi is doing rallying next week or something so he's having fun and enjoying driving different types of cars.

Garry Walker
1st June 2011, 20:59
How is it surprising? Drives WRC, raced power boats under the moniker James Hunt (whilst dressed as a gorilla!). He has already admitted he was born in the wrong decade.

Well, Kimi and Nascar, no one saw that one coming.

But I like his bravery in taking on new challenges, most drivers would lack the balls.