PDA

View Full Version : Move to Pirellis hurt Ferrari more than most?

philipbain
29th March 2011, 20:52
I honestly think that the move from Bridgestone to Pirelli rubber will have a more profound effect on Ferrari than any other team. It seems that few commentators appreciate just how integral Bridgestone were to Ferrari's successes in recent years. Ferrari switched to Bridgestone in 1999 when Bridgestone became F1's soul tyre supplier, they worked closely with each other ever since, never deviating from Bridgestone, even when Michelin really came on song in the mid noughties. This means that Ferrari used Bridgestones for 12 seasons, the only other team to have run Bridgestones as long are Force India/Spyker/Midland/Jordan - but as you can appreciate, there has been much less continuity in other aspects of that team! The other top teams have worked with another supplier much more recently, most up until the end of 2006 when Michelin pulled out, they have relevant experience of non-Bridgestone tyre technology and the requirements of the car to optimise different tyres. Ferrari only have experience of Goodyear and Bridgestone tyres in the last 25+ years, and the Goodyears ran in F1 in the 90s are museum pieces today!

Could this be the root cause of Ferrari's seemingly inferior tyre management? The F150 (the Ferrari, not the Ford Truck, I know, so easy to get those two mixed up!) is very much an evolution of the Bridgestone shod cars of seasons before, therefore it may have Bridgestone-friendly characteristics which are not using the Pirellis in an optimal way. I'd love to hear your thoughts and which other teams you think have dealt with the switch to Pirellis the best.

ioan
29th March 2011, 22:41
Everyone used Bridgestones last year and had to change to Pirelli's this season.
Also the technical regulations changed quite a bit lately which means that this year's cars are not that similar to those of last year or 2 years ago.
If Ferrari are suffering because of the Pirelli tires than it is only due to poor car design.

Sonic
29th March 2011, 23:02
I don't think you can point the finger at Ferrari after one race and say "They don't understand the tyres" - no one does. Sauber surprised us all by managing a one stop, whilst Mark Webber was much harder on his rubber than his dominant team mate and Trulli complained he couldn't get any heat into the tyre. It's gonna take a few races to see how this shakes out.

wedge
30th March 2011, 01:03
Ferrari were doing mega consistant lap time in testing and most people concluded they were kind on their tyres.

Garry Walker
30th March 2011, 09:04
If Ferrari are suffering, that means some justice is in world after all.

Mark
30th March 2011, 09:29
Most teams designed their cars during the summer of 2010, when they didn't really have a clear idea of what the Pirelli's were going to be like. So it makes sense that some teams will have got it right, some will have got it wrong. It looks at the moment as if Sauber were a team to get things right. But you can be sure that Ferrari et al will be hard at work right now looking at all the data from Melbourne and making changes to their cars.

Arjuna
4th April 2011, 09:19
Character of Ferrari is not too good at the start, Alonso's start last weekend is like something to justify it, very slow start. More about driver problem? not sure, because Massa's start wasn't as bad as him, although finally he can retake the position slow start is a clear disadvantage. Could the tires contribute to it? probably, car might not have enough grip, during the race too Alonso looks like spending more tires, change tires faster.

Azumanga Davo
5th April 2011, 07:07
It's tough biscuits if Ferrari aren't immediately on the pace. It's the same situation for everyone, brand new tyres mean brand new setups and solutions. Tell them to get to work pronto. ;)

jens
5th April 2011, 15:58
The tyres are still a big unknown and car performances may fluctuate over a season. At Albert Park they were struggling, but at Barcelona (where also the testing took place) Ferrari may be a frontrunner and the likes of Mercedes and Lotus much better than they were.

And if anything, I thought what we saw at Albert Park was a surprise in the sense of Ferrari's tyre management, because in the last seasons their car has been among the most tyre-friendly ones.

Arjuna
8th April 2011, 07:46
Performance of the car itself isn't at its best, so changing tyres quicker than everyone does would at some extent help improving performance of the car. Not really sure they will perform a better show off than last week in Malaysia, barely we can see their success in the last recent years. Sepang, I could be wrong though, isn't typical of race that favors character of Ferrari. Get to work pronto? yeah buckle down more on the car, Ferrari and Alonso certainly need to work hard to build Spanish steps. :)

Mia 01
21st April 2011, 18:07
No, another move is hurting them, theres no solution soon.

wedge
22nd April 2011, 16:02
It's more than the tyres. Aero as well. Just look at McLaren.

Dominicalli and a couple of key figures from Ferrari went back to Maranello inbetween Malaysia and China to check up on updates.

gloomyDAY
22nd April 2011, 18:44
If Ferrari are suffering, that means some justice is in world after all.Gosh! You're such a drama queen.

Fact of the matter is that Ferrari got their tire strategy wrong in China, and other teams as well, so Turkey will probably be better for them. I think it's still too early to make a call on the tires.

Bridgestone did have a solid partnership with Ferrari, but all good things must come to an end. 2007 was a good indicator that Ferrari were not the only team that could adapt the tires to its chassis.

Roamy
23rd April 2011, 10:59
I suspect the stage is being set for Flavio to return to F1

gloomyDAY
25th April 2011, 21:24
The reason for Ferrari's lack of pace is directly attributed to the hiring of Pat Fry. Since he was pinched out of McLaren's garage, Ferrari's stable has been on the fringes. I think we can also blame Pat Fry for the decision-making skills of Domenicali during the Abudabudabibi GP. ;)

Arjuna
4th May 2011, 08:05
Yeah, it is unnecessary Ferrari gets hurt by tyre switch more than the rest. When the decision was made to a single tyre supplier, the use of Bridgestone gave them favors while some other teams had to make adjustment in order the new tyres work out with their chassis. In turn, if the new tyres is policed for all teams in a season, all cars would face the same problem.

Perhaps, the problem they get used to work on tyres which last longer at the track like Bridgestone. But, wait for Turkey, at the sort of track with character like in the desert might help them. Like in 2008 if you doubt Alonso, Massa will make it. :)