PDA

View Full Version : Double File Restarts On Street/Road Courses

DanicaFan
27th March 2011, 22:19
Just curious as to what everyone thought. Do you think they should have double file restarts on street/road courses ?

I said no. Today was obvious proof that it doesnt work that well. Seemed a lot of the drivers had thier opinions in them too.

Dr. Krogshöj
27th March 2011, 23:18
As a member of another forum put it, the problem wasn't the double file restarts, it was running out of talent (and brains) while being four wide. I think we should keep the rule, for now.

SarahFan
27th March 2011, 23:52
Hard to vote this early on....

We are always talking about spread out starts ... But man o man they sure seemed tight...

A happy medium sure seems doable

I do have To day besides the turn 1 contact(s) it keep the cars tighter for more laps

FormerFF
28th March 2011, 00:12
Go to standing starts for the beginning of the race, and single file restarts, ESPECIALLY at street courses. Double file restarts may work on natural terrain road courses, but there aren't too many street courses where a double file start or restart is going to end well.

Leo Krupe
28th March 2011, 02:01
At the moment, I see no problem with it. Rules have been changed in the past; they'll be changed again in the future. For now, I vote keep the double file restarts and change if/when they don't work.

nigelred5
28th March 2011, 02:52
With the limited practice time pre-season, i wouldn't have exected a clean race, but that was pretty pathetic.

ICWS
28th March 2011, 03:44
Go to standing starts for the beginning of the race, and single file restarts, ESPECIALLY at street courses. Double file restarts may work on natural terrain road courses, but there aren't too many street courses where a double file start or restart is going to end well.

Agreed. But IndyCar for some reason makes it seem like the cars, for technical reasons, aren't capable of doing standing starts like other open-wheel cars can/do. I'm not an expert on the technical aspects of the specifications for an IndyCar, so I don't why they would be incapable of doing standing starts, if they indeed are incapable of doing so... Or maybe they don't want to do standing starts because they are a "European thing" and don't want to add them to an American-based series, I don't know.

bennybigb
28th March 2011, 03:55
Standing starts ain't American.

Indycar racing has been here 100 years, that is much longer than any racing in Europe. We borned racing, this is how we do it. If you don't like it you can leave.

Same goes for the country as a whole.

God bless the IRL and the USA. The best country in the world.

elan 02
28th March 2011, 04:20
First race of the year, lots of excited driver, new rules. Lets see if the best driver in the world can handle this new rule and adapt there style to make it work. I like it, put me right on the edge of my couch. Maybe somebody need to talk to Marco and Hellio about being real ,you can't win on the first lap!

Mightyreds
28th March 2011, 04:30
Side by side is fine. If they can find a way to take out the Penske T& Target cars every race they can all be interesting.

The debate before Champ Car went to standing starts was pretty load. Once they had run a couple the debate went away. Standing starts adds to the excitement and who wants less excitement.

I may have to change my seats for Toronto, don't want to miss any of that first corner carnage.

MakinenLoeb
28th March 2011, 05:26
I vote no. Single file worked fine. And about the standing starts NO!!!! That is european not what should happen in Indycar racing, it is based around the Indy 500. Pretty stupid idea if Randy would do it.

gids73
28th March 2011, 10:56
As a member of another forum put it, the problem wasn't the double file restarts, it was running out of talent (and brains) while being four wide. I think we should keep the rule, for now.

I agree - some of the drivers just showed poor driving skills (and many of those drivers have plenty of experience too)...

Mightyreds
28th March 2011, 13:18
I vote no. Single file worked fine. And about the standing starts NO!!!! That is european not what should happen in Indycar racing, it is based around the Indy 500. Pretty stupid idea if Randy would do it.

And South American, and Australian, and Asian, but I'm sure they're all wrong.

Rolling startrs are an oval thing, not an American thing.

chuck34
28th March 2011, 13:24
I think the double file starts are fine. It's a good way to sort out talent levels. I think Marco and Helio really showed their tallent today (or lack thereof).

Perhaps that's too tough on Helio, he has tallent, just no patience or judgement.

I do feel sorry for those that get caught up through no fault of their own. I felt particularly gutted for Conway. I was looking for a good comeback for him. Well see at Barber I guess

SarahFan
28th March 2011, 14:23
If it's good enough for a start why not a re-start?

anthonyvop
28th March 2011, 15:14
I'm against double file re-starts in any form. Road, Street, Oval....It is just a gimmick to create false competition.

Mightyreds
28th March 2011, 18:38
I'm against double file re-starts in any form. Road, Street, Oval....It is just a gimmick to create false competition.

Too much like NASCAR?

bblocker68
28th March 2011, 20:08

Indycar racing has been here 100 years, that is much longer than any racing in Europe. We borned racing, this is how we do it. If you don't like it you can leave.

Uh, the IRL no longer exists.

Leo Krupe
29th March 2011, 00:39
I don't know about that. False competition? The competition is still there, because the competitors are there...there's nothing rigged about it to make it false (like the lucky dog rule would).

Leo Krupe
29th March 2011, 00:43

Man, I missed this post the first time around. "America--Love it or leave it" went out in the early 70s. If you accept Wikipedia as a reference, then you'll accept the good ol' US of A didn't borned racing: On July 22, 1894, the Parisian magazine Le Petit Journal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Petit_Journal) organised what is considered to be the world's first car race from Paris to Rouen.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_racing#cite_note-8W-0http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_racing#Paris-Rouen._World.27s_first_motor-race

But if you seriously have the attitude you're posting, and are not joking, then I doubt you'd accept any authority other than 'Merica borned racin'.

call_me_andrew
29th March 2011, 03:19
They can't get double file starts right on road courses, restarts are just going to make it worse (especially if it rains).

Let's have standing starts and single file restarts on road courses.

DBell
29th March 2011, 03:54
I didn't vote as I think it is too soon to tell. I am a purist, I guess, so I'd rather see single file restarts. But I recognize the need to have more excitement and action in the races to help build bigger interest in Indycar. It does worry me some about the road this might take Indycar down.

BiF, is that you?

Mad_Hatter
29th March 2011, 04:19
On a side note, the officials did a MUCH better job of waiting until the field was formed to wave the green...

elan 02
29th March 2011, 04:36
Dario seems to get it http://www.racer.com/indy-drivers-want-restart-rethink/article/199402/

MakinenLoeb
29th March 2011, 06:16
Ok they're an oval thing big whoop wanna fight about it?

MakinenLoeb
29th March 2011, 06:20
And South American, and Australian, and Asian, but I'm sure they're all wrong.

Rolling startrs are an oval thing, not an American thing.

Ok an oval thing, I only watch Nascar, Indycar, USAC, WoO and NHRA because I only like them. I don't watch a lot of others, I lost interest in the Rally about two years ago.

pitwall3
29th March 2011, 07:50

Bingo! We have a winner. I couldn't believe the way that these so called seasoned OW drivers screwed up the start. No names no pack drill.

MAX_THRUST
29th March 2011, 17:38
Keep roling startts double wide, except in the wet for safety sake I think single file would make sense.

At the end of the day its up to how the drivers drive if this works or not. I remember Zanardi being critised for hitting cars at starts when he started further back in the field. Essentially he wasn't used to starting that far back. Drivers wil realise soon enough when the team boss says you crash it you loose your ride, then they will be more conservative. Let em get on with it and the drivers will adapt. To soon to have a knee jerk reaction to this weeks race. I loved it, even though yellow flags are a pain, the safety crews need to clear it quickly and no problem.

Chamoo
29th March 2011, 18:10
The safety teams did a good job this weekend of keeping the number of yellow flag laps to a minimum, I applaud them for that.

elan 02
12th April 2011, 01:16
Mark has a rumor going at AR1 that Long Beach mite see a change in the two wide restart. I hope not, and I hope Mark is not just trying to stir the pot. My gut says he is trying to stir the pot. They did so much better last race and we know the fans like the action. These guys are the best driver in the world,RIGHT!

uncommonsense52
12th April 2011, 05:10

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/300px-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Not sure if serious.

uncommonsense52
12th April 2011, 05:13

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/300px-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

maxmach
12th April 2011, 13:29
Yes, definitely keep double wide restarts, the excitement level is about 10 times as high. It keeps the cars together longer, provides more opportunity for passing. The drivers will learn to control their aggression, too many crashes in the beginning,but less now, and less as the drivers learn the ropes. Definitely keep them.