PDA

View Full Version : Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear RUINING INDY CAR SERIES!

disko
27th March 2011, 21:10
These two clowns have absolutely destroyed any excitement of the Indy Car Series has with their thrid string announcing. Production value was pretty pathetic as well.

I was all amped up for the start of the season and then these two BOZOS put me to sleep.

RANDY BERNARD - FIX THIS- your losing viewership because of this pathetic announcing crew.

PLEASE Continue this thread until someone at IndyCar listens up. Tell me your as fed up as I am.

And to think, they have to announce the best race of the year. Maybe a reason to go in person so I dont have to listen to them on TV>

beachgirl
27th March 2011, 21:23
The incompetence of Reid and Goodyear is neither news, or any surprise. Most of us have been complaining about this for years.

desjo
27th March 2011, 22:06
You're lucky, you apparently got to see the race. I tuned in only to find that the race had been preempted by the Danica show. Thankfully they were able to intersperse enough updates to somewhat keep up with what was happening elsewhere on the track. But then it is a big story when fairly early in the race someone is able to work their way up from 19th to 12th (or somewhere like that). Unfortunately that excitement allowed the point to go virtually unnoticed that someone else had made it to 2nd place (at that point in time - finished a fantastic 4th) from a 17th place start. It is pathetic that with all of the great talent that exists or is upcoming in the series that one individual gets so much unfettered media attention. Doesn't the series (and aligned media) realize that if they make it all about Danica that when she finally bolts the series that she'll be taking the series with her?

Anubis
27th March 2011, 23:47
Johnathan Legard is a free agent. Be careful what you wish for...

eman resu
28th March 2011, 00:23
I always thougth Scott Goodyear got the commentator for life job once he retired in exchange for not protesting in '95 when he was screwed out of the win when he passed the pace car which mysteriously slowed in front of him prior to the final restart. Then again maybe the quality of the broadcast only reflects the quality of the organization and the show.

beachbum
28th March 2011, 03:42
You're lucky, you apparently got to see the race. I tuned in only to find that the race had been preempted by the Danica show. Thankfully they were able to intersperse enough updates to somewhat keep up with what was happening elsewhere on the track. But then it is a big story when fairly early in the race someone is able to work their way up from 19th to 12th (or somewhere like that). Unfortunately that excitement allowed the point to go virtually unnoticed that someone else had made it to 2nd place (at that point in time - finished a fantastic 4th) from a 17th place start. It is pathetic that with all of the great talent that exists or is upcoming in the series that one individual gets so much unfettered media attention. Doesn't the series (and aligned media) realize that if they make it all about Danica that when she finally bolts the series that she'll be taking the series with her?This was an ABC race. ESPN (part of ABC) broadcasts the Nationwide series where ESPN is hyping her even more than they have in Indy Car (as hard as that is to believe). ESPN / ABC does not care about Indy Car, but they will use any opportunity to hype their other racing coverage. I was not surprised to see them do a segment on her Nationwide "success" as almost everyone thinks that is where she will be full time next year.

bennybigb
28th March 2011, 03:50
2 first class announcers. I don't know why you are complaining.

Some people are never happy....

Mightyreds
28th March 2011, 04:48
Other than the 'that is what we call an out lap' comment, as if we don't all call it that, it didn't intrude too much.

MakinenLoeb
28th March 2011, 05:18
I don't like Marty Reid but Scott Goodyear is awesome at it. They need to bring back Paul Page

Dr. Krogshöj
28th March 2011, 07:25
I think the main problem with the ABC broadcast is the director. They produce IndyCar road races like they produce NASCAR oval races. They just follow a duel or a driver they find interesting and they expect they will catch some action. Inevitably, they miss all the other on-track action and they seldom show the replays. I always notice a lot of position changes in the running order but almost never see the actual overtaking manouvres. We don't know how Power lost the lead for instance or what happened between Danica and Hildebrand in the last lap.

chuck34
28th March 2011, 13:19
I almost threw up when theyt followed Danica for about half the race. SHE WAS IN 9TH!!!! Who the heck cares? If it was all about a girl doing good, why wouldn't they follow Simona who was in 2nd at the time? I think beachbum is right, they were doing it to promote their Nationwide coverage. As such I think someone from the league (Randy?) should sit down and explain to them how they are being paid to cover INDYCAR. What a disgrace. It's been bad for quite a while, but it is really getting worse. They are down to their D league interns running the show now.

markabilly
28th March 2011, 13:30
What race??
I tuned in and watched the Danica show for a while, then gave up waiting to see her do some shower scenes and photo shoots in the Si style and fell asleep

beachbum
28th March 2011, 15:22
I almost threw up when theyt followed Danica for about half the race. SHE WAS IN 9TH!!!! Who the heck cares? If it was all about a girl doing good, why wouldn't they follow Simona who was in 2nd at the time? I think beachbum is right, they were doing it to promote their Nationwide coverage. As such I think someone from the league (Randy?) should sit down and explain to them how they are being paid to cover INDYCAR. What a disgrace. It's been bad for quite a while, but it is really getting worse. They are down to their D league interns running the show now.Well at least they didn't interview Danica after the race. A the Nationwide races she is usually interviewed before most of the top 5, even when she finishes well back.

Dr. Krogshöj
28th March 2011, 16:16
What race??
I tuned in and watched the Danica show for a while, then gave up waiting to see her do some shower scenes and photo shoots in the Si style and fell asleep

In all fairness, they stopped that nonsense after a while. But it says a lot about the quality of the ABC broadcast that they completely missed the late incident between her and Hildebrand. When it comes to missing things they don't make exceptions even with Danica!

ykiki
28th March 2011, 16:41
Thanks to Scott Goodyear, I just learned that Sao Paulo is in Switzerland!!!

I really enjoyed the comment that Simona did such a good job last year leading her "hometown race". :eek:

Thanks Scott for letting me know!!!

Don Capps
28th March 2011, 17:06
Long, long ago, I discovered that the least painful way to watch any form of motor racing on television is with the sound off. It makes the experience somewhat more tolerable and one can have the classical music station on while you read or occasionally watch whatever is being broadcast. How anyone can stand the incessant chatter, the endless dribble of nonsense, and very tiresome noises of the announcing team for any series is beyond me. I don't much care for modern motor racing in about any form, but it does improve at least marginally with the sound off.

ykiki
28th March 2011, 17:12
I think one of my favorite parts of yesterday's broadcast was the IZOD "Sound of..." or something like that.

It was the half-a-lap where Marty & Scott SHUT UP and we got to watch cars going around the track and only heard the sound of the engine.

edv
28th March 2011, 18:07
I was impressed very early on in the broadcast when Power, Kanaan & Dario, in order, took the green flag.
Several corners later, Dario was first, followed by Kanaan and Power.
There was no mention of how this happened.
To miss a pass for the lead is inexcusable, and is more important than seeing Marco on his lid 50 times over.
The only thing that I really liked about the broadcast was the footage from the on-board camera systems...whoever was controlling them did a very good job, rotating the view just in time to capture relevant action.

Mightyreds
28th March 2011, 18:34
There was a camera at ground level which was used once for a split second, it gives a real sense of the cars speed. It should be used more.

booger
28th March 2011, 18:54
I'm just glad the race was broadcast for gosh sakes. Much better than the ABC/ESPN coverage of Sebring!

bblocker68
28th March 2011, 20:06
Thank you Scott Goodyear for noticing that Marco took out half of the field because he was hit from behind. Too bad you realized it 15 minutes after the crash happened. I hope in your defense the monitors in the booth are really small or you are close to legally blind.

I find it entertaining that I disagree with almost everything that comes out of your pie hole.

THAT"S BLOCKING!!!!

Dude, I guess you didn't see the F1 race earlier or you would have had a heart attack.

Keep your eyes on the action Scott, not the pace car. It's a little too late for that.

Buffoon.......

chuck34
28th March 2011, 20:52
Thank you Scott Goodyear for noticing that Marco took out half of the field because he was hit from behind. Too bad you realized it 15 minutes after the crash happened. I hope in your defense the monitors in the booth are really small or you are close to legally blind.

Not that I want to defend Goodyear or anything. But Marco wasn't going to make that corner with or without Helio hitting him. Maro should be thanking Helio for that little tap ... saves him from all the blame.

bblocker68
29th March 2011, 18:10
True, but Goodbeer totally missed it. And I agree that Marco did overcook it and would have probably made contact. I have a feeling that the carnage would not have been as great.

DBell
29th March 2011, 18:31
Marco may or may not have been able to avoid a collision, we'll never know because he was hit by the dancer. Even if Marco did make contact, it may have been a less severe wreck, affecting less cars than it was with Helio turning Andretti sideways going into the corner. Helio deserves the blame for this one.

garyshell
30th March 2011, 05:28
Marco may or may not have been able to avoid a collision, we'll never know because he was hit by the dancer. Even if Marco did make contact, it may have been a less severe wreck, affecting less cars than it was with Helio turning Andretti sideways going into the corner. Helio deserves the blame for this one.

Implying that Marco is blameless? Puhleeeeze. The little whiner was an IDIOT going into that first corner like he did. Yes, Helio contributed to the mess. But Marco was destined to wreck regardless of what Helio did. Stupid is as stupid does.

Gary

DBell
30th March 2011, 12:22
Implying that Marco is blameless? Puhleeeeze. The little whiner was an IDIOT going into that first corner like he did. Yes, Helio contributed to the mess. But Marco was destined to wreck regardless of what Helio did. Stupid is as stupid does.

Gary

I'm not going to repeat my post, but I said, for the size and scope of the accident, you have Helio to blame. He turned Marco sideways going into turn 1 and that wasn't going to turn out any other way than the big crash that happened. I'm glad you have access to the teams telemetry to know for sure how fast Marco was going and his distance to brake for the corner to be so sure he wasn't going to make it.. And since he was so out of control and going to cause a big wreck, then how was it that Helio hit him from behind? Must have been more out of control than Marco and that must make him the bigger IDIOT than Marco, going by your definition. The dancer fell on his ass on this one.

chuck34
30th March 2011, 13:00
I'm not going to repeat my post, but I said, for the size and scope of the accident, you have Helio to blame. He turned Marco sideways going into turn 1 and that wasn't going to turn out any other way than the big crash that happened. I'm glad you have access to the teams telemetry to know for sure how fast Marco was going and his distance to brake for the corner to be so sure he wasn't going to make it.. And since he was so out of control and going to cause a big wreck, then how was it that Helio hit him from behind? Must have been more out of control than Marco and that must make him the bigger IDIOT than Marco, going by your definition. The dancer fell on his ass on this one.

Marco being turned sideways by Helio might actually have made the wreck less bad (that doesn't sound like proper English?). Being sideways could have blunted the contact a bit, bigger contact area and all that. Anyway, they were BOTH at fault. The high camera angle was pretty clear. Marco was going to spear someone. He was going way too fast at an angle that would not have allowed him to make the corner, at pretty much any speed. They were clearly both at fault. As you say "the dancer fell on his ass", but you come accross as trying to defend Marco. Perhaps you are not, and I'm just reading too much into it. To defend Marco in any way on this one is a position that I sure can't see having any legs.

beachbum
30th March 2011, 13:52
One factor missed by the internet "experts". Both Helio and Marco were braking on the painted section on the runway. It would seem both forgot how slippery paint is compared to asphalt. Marco jumped in front of Helio right before the turn (to block?) and braked late and probably wasn't going to to make it on the slippery paint. Helio may have made it if Marco wasn't there, but there was no room for either to blend into the other cars.

This whole mess looked very much like a typical turn 1 at the old Cleveland airport course. Trying to stuff a three wide group of cars into space for 1 or 2 at the most. A low percentage move by BOTH drivers.

Now, back to the original topic. I thought Goodyear was a bit better than in the past, but Marty? Clueless. The director seemed to forget there was a race going on behind the leaders so they get a criticism as well. Not the worst ABC coverage, and better than ESPN on that other series, but lots of room for improvement.

garyshell
30th March 2011, 16:26

No need for telemetry when, as others have also said, the overhead camera shot made it abundantly clear there was no way for Marco to make the corner. Plus it does appear that he jumped in front of Helio and slammed on the brakes. And yes I do think Helio was also out of control at the time. I never said he did not contribute to this wreck. The ONLY thing I was attempting to point out was that, again it appeared, you were defending the mini-whiner, and he has no defense.

Gary

methanolHuffer
1st April 2011, 15:22
So whenever Goodyear says, "...as we say..." are we all supposed to drink?

Or is he just afraid that people might not remember that he used to try to drive racecars?

bblocker68
1st April 2011, 16:57
I wonder if he says that more than he talks aboot tire compounds :)

"The Reds are the red sidewall tires that are indicated by a red stripe around the tire. Otherwise the Reds would be black if they didn't have the red stripe. We call those "Blacks" because they're not red."

Marbles
3rd April 2011, 15:19
After reading about the shake up at Versus I was hugely disappointed to see these two well meaning but professionally challenged agents still in operation at ESPN.

I think race car drivers are second only to politicians when it comes to being honest with themselves as well as others so quote of the race definitely goes to Marco: "I had it whoaed up pretty good."

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2011, 05:28
Well, I missed the race and didn't tape it. So I will have to say, it is all in the abstract for me.

However, to complain about Reid is valid, the guy sucks. To complain about Goodyear, well, he pretty much sucks, but since he is sort of local to me (from just over in nearby Newmarket and raced at Mosport for years) I have a soft spot for the little guy. Ya, he sucks to a degree, but to be fair, both he and Reid are at the mercy of the monitors.

As someone who has dabbled in the TV world, the first thing you learn is the guys in the truck control what the talent see's. They likely can see very little of the race track, and in most events, are lucky if they see anything more than the cars blasting by them on the straight. It isn't always cut and dried they can even see a corner. So I will have to say they likely were at the mercy of the footage on replay. Now that said, from what I read here, they still got it wrong, but hey, it is Marty and Scott. We are not talking Murray and James.....

Another problem with broadcasts on road/street courses is that unless you have the budget to really put a lot of cameras out there (and add production trucks and personnel and and and...well you get the idea, to really do a race right, it costs more money. Then you need all this good info to go into the truck with producers and directors that don't have their head up their @ss. This is the real issue I find with ABC/ESPN. They are so busy chasing stupid stories (Danica) that they never build an narrative of the story that is unfolding, and their camera people, most likely are not racing people either. They may not REALIZE that pass is VERY relevent and the director likely doesn't either. It takes replay and sub producers and directors to see what happens, and get that replay up to the director in a relevent fashion. There are so many nuts and bolts that have to go together to make a production work, and I do think outside of the people doing racing for Speed, no one has a clue how to do road racing anymore. Most of the road racing coverage I have seen even of NASCAR isn't always doing anything but covering the top guys, and even then not always.

IT is a tough thing, but if the IRL wants better coverage, they will have to pony up for the extra production trucks and cameras, and have to really impress up on the dumb jerk producers that there are other drivers other than the Go-Daddy girl.

Simona did amazing.....and to me she is the story of the year as much as anyone is...