PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on 'Drag Reduction System'

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Rollo
23rd May 2011, 01:35
And you never watch Wrestling?

619!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6ZGWA_xiA&feature=related

Time to bring out Hornswaggle in a 750cc Supercharged DB Monomill?

airshifter
23rd May 2011, 02:55
Today it seemed to me the DRS had very little effect on the racing at all. Unless someone was lucky enough to catch a back marker near the zone, or catch a car on older tires near the zone, I can't think of a single other pass that DRS made happen. Despite what some are claiming Hamilton used KERS and DRS lap after lap in an attempt to get by Vettel, and couldn't make it work. On quite a few of those laps Vettel didn't use his KERS at all, yet Lewis used the KERS and DRS every lap.

But on a number of occasions the drivers with fresher tires breezed right past other drivers all over the track.

Whyzars
23rd May 2011, 04:04
Today it seemed to me the DRS had very little effect on the racing at all.

How much influence do you think the rev limiters are having on the effectiveness of the DRS?

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 08:35
Completely agree but Martin Brundle at the Turkish GP made a number of references to Webber commenting that he felt the overtakes were cheapened and felt little satisfaction when he overtook Alonso in China.
Even those of us who defend DRS would agree that Turkey was a silly situation, the zone was far too long and overtaking was made far far too easy. Malaysia and China were just about right, but that's as much due to the opening sequence of corners which allowed a great overtaking and repassing battle.

It's a work in progress, and while I think it's a shame more research wasn't done in pre-season or Friday testing, it would be silly to abandon DRS after only a handful of races.

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 08:37
How much influence do you think the rev limiters are having on the effectiveness of the DRS?

I think the rev limit should be removed. Teams are only allowed 8 engines per car per season and if they believe they can chance higher engine speeds at the possible expense of reliability then good luck to them. It would open up yet more strategic possibilities: do you go flat out in qualifying to bag a front-row spot but risk a penalty later in the year? Do you briefly hit 20Krpm to pull off an overtake at the expense of higher fuel consumption? The possibilities are endless!

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2011, 08:57
I think both the engine freeze and the rev limit are awful - it forces teams to rely more on aerodynamic upgrades, which means the cars are more affected by the dirty wake of the preceeding car, and therefore cannot follow the car in front through corners, so even with slipstreaming on straights (which is heavily compromised, because there is a rev limit) they cannot get close enough.

The FIA should axe these awful restrictions on the teams, rather than introducing new technologies which can only be used at certain times on the track. To me, that makes DRS and KERS a bad gimmick - that the DRS can only be used in a place of the FIA's choosing, and the KERS being restricted to a certain amount per lap.

I really don't think theres any comparison with former technologies like turbochargers in this regard, because drivers had a certain amount of turbo boost per race, and they chose when and where they would use it, rather than just having a push to pass button that can only be used for a certain amount each lap. The turbos were a natural integration of a technology into the technical regulations of Formula One, where KERS and DRS are implemented in a contrived manner which is really just a patchwork solution to poor rulemaking.

Mark
23rd May 2011, 09:48
Agree with that. I personally think that F1 should be very little about aerodynamics and mostly about having massively powerful engines. More power than grip is often mentioned but I still believe it's the key! After all if the cars had no aero and relied entirely on mechanical grip then they would be able to follow closely and the likes of DRS wouldn't be required.

There is an easy quick fix solution, and that's to provide standard, aerodyanically neutral, front and rear wings. They'd still have aero from the undertray and the body of the car itself but the majority of the downforce and cruically that proportion of the downforce affected by dirty air, would be removed.

wedge
23rd May 2011, 13:40
Even those of us who defend DRS would agree that Turkey was a silly situation, the zone was far too long and overtaking was made far far too easy. Malaysia and China were just about right, but that's as much due to the opening sequence of corners which allowed a great overtaking and repassing battle.

Possibly.

Malaysia made me a bit sceptical, looked almost as if the racing was too good to be true.

China was about right and even Hamilton passed cars without the benefit of DRS!

It seems the Tilke-dromes aren't going to do the sceptics any favours.

Dave B
23rd May 2011, 13:41
It seems that DRS may be banned in Monaco after all... but only in the tunnel:

The FIA is considering banning the use of DRS in the tunnel at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix on the back of continued safety complaints from drivers, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

A majority of drivers have expressed reservations about the possible dangers they could face in Monaco by having to use the DRS - especially through the tricky right-hander in the tunnel.

And although the FIA saw no grounds to ban DRS entirely - with the overtaking zone to be laid down on the start-finish straight – some consideration is now being given to the tunnel situation for practice and qualifying, when DRS can normally be used without restriction.

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91665

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2011, 14:07
It seems that DRS may be banned in Monaco after all... but only in the tunnel:

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91665

I wonder what precedent this will set with other flat out corners that would be made more challenging with DRS, say, for instance... Eau Rouge.

Mark
23rd May 2011, 14:13
But DRS isn't meant to be used on corners. And I don't see why they use it outside the race at all.

SGWilko
23rd May 2011, 16:11
But DRS isn't meant to be used on corners.

Indeed - but this is where the Red Bulls are so dominant in qualifying - they can deploy DRS in high speed corners such is their aero efficiency.

ShiftingGears
24th May 2011, 10:47
But DRS isn't meant to be used on corners. And I don't see why they use it outside the race at all.

Well, since it is allowed for anywhere on a circuit during practice and qualifying, then by definition it is allowed anywhere where drivers can take advantage of it. Otherwise it would only be allowed in sections on straight bits of road, so you wouldn't see drivers activating it on the exits of corners like we saw most notably in Albert Park. I don't like the DRS tunnel ban, at all.

555-04Q2
24th May 2011, 11:52
Well after the Spanish GP anyone who is for the Dumb Racing Solution is either stark raving mad or blind as a bat. Get rid of it, Pirelli is sorting out the racing for us.

airshifter
24th May 2011, 12:13

Tough question. No doubt the top speeds would be higher without a limiter and use of DRS. On the flip side it seems at least some teams are still gearing for more acceleration in the top gear and choosing to hit the limiter quicker when using DRS, KERS, or the combination of both.

It would be interesting to find the top speeds of cars in clean air using DRS vs not using it. Once again tricky since this wouldn't happen during a race.

Dave B
24th May 2011, 13:09
Tough question. No doubt the top speeds would be higher without a limiter and use of DRS. On the flip side it seems at least some teams are still gearing for more acceleration in the top gear and choosing to hit the limiter quicker when using DRS, KERS, or the combination of both.

Then there's the matter of not being able to change gear ratios between qualifying and the race, despite being allowed to use DRS at will during the former but only in a prescribed area during the latter.

Sonic
24th May 2011, 13:17
Then there's the matter of not being able to change gear ratios between qualifying and the race, despite being allowed to use DRS at will during the former but only in a prescribed area during the latter.

precisely! The rules as they stand hamper the DRS system from working as intended. The Red Bulls especially made almost no head way in the DRS zone. And why would they? They qualified so fast they are not going to set the car up to be able to grab a good tow, so when they were put in the position to need on they hit the limiter at 311kph if I recall correctly. Nick in the Renault meanwhile hit 320+kph in the identically powered machine, obviously set up with the knowledge they would be in the pack and need a tow.

airshifter
24th May 2011, 20:47
All good points Dave and Sonic. Being that it's already in place, maybe they should try the DRS in a "use at will" type scenario. They could keep the wing down on the low speed points in the track, and lift it on other sections. Being that setup is always a compromise of sorts it might minimize the amount of compromise.

Similar to what they did with DRS, they implemented something with very limited use. If it has such limited use, why bother putting the teams through all that to change the cars?

truefan72
25th May 2011, 06:59
All good points Dave and Sonic. Being that it's already in place, maybe they should try the DRS in a "use at will" type scenario. They could keep the wing down on the low speed points in the track, and lift it on other sections. Being that setup is always a compromise of sorts it might minimize the amount of compromise.

Similar to what they did with DRS, they implemented something with very limited use. If it has such limited use, why bother putting the teams through all that to change the cars?

yep that is what I said last week
let them use it as they please
rewards the brave, punishes the timid and evens out any perceived advantage it might have in this monaco race

ArrowsFA1
25th May 2011, 08:15
Well after the Spanish GP anyone who is for the Dumb Racing Solution is either stark raving mad or blind as a bat. Get rid of it, Pirelli is sorting out the racing for us.

Formula 1 bosses believes the excitement of the Spanish Grand Prix is the definitive evidence that this year's rules are a success.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91693

That's the end of that then :p

UltimateDanGTR
25th May 2011, 09:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91693

That's the end of that then :p

They are 'the loonies' after all ;)

Ranger
21st June 2011, 10:42
autosport.com - F1 News: Single DRS detection point to remain (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92476)

The FIA is to stick with a single detection area for the two DRS zones at this weekend's European Grand Prix, following a successful debut for the concept in Canada last weekend.

Successful??

The best part of the race was when it wasn't activated!

The Black Knight
21st June 2011, 14:45
autosport.com - F1 News: Single DRS detection point to remain (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92476)

Successful??

The most boring part of it being when drivers were sitting ducks being passed with the retarded thing.

steveaki13
21st June 2011, 16:56

Successful??

The most boring part of it being when drivers were sitting ducks being passed with the retarded thing.

:up:

Big Ben
23rd June 2011, 11:03
I am a little disappointed I haven't heard any driver saying the DRS is just stupid.... or something to that effect

schmenke
23rd June 2011, 14:22
Because all teams agreed on its implementation into the sport.

Daniel
23rd June 2011, 14:50

Successful??

They're crackers..... obviously anti-Schuey fans!!!!!

Mia 01
23rd June 2011, 15:05
When the other teams realise that the ban on the EDB and the enforcemnt of only one ECU mode dosīnt help they will bann RBR :s rearwing and their unic DRS.

And I agree, bann the whole team, so mac and fer can battle it out.

Big Ben
23rd June 2011, 18:59
When the other teams realise that the ban on the EDB and the enforcemnt of only one ECU mode dosīnt help they will bann RBR :s rearwing and their unic DRS.

And I agree, bann the whole team, so mac and fer can battle it out.

Are you trying to brainwash us?

Mia 01
23rd June 2011, 19:53
When you joined the forum at the end of 2009 you were a big Jenson Button fan. After last season you've supported Vettel. Now I'm not suggesting you wait for a champion to place your allegiance, but are you hoping for a different champion this year?

Ofcourse, but still, Iīm up to it. Can you advice me?

steveaki13
23rd June 2011, 23:13
Ofcourse, but still, Iīm up to it. Can you advice me?

Ambrosio Custard

Mia 01
23rd June 2011, 23:29
Ambrosio Custard

You saved me, thanks!

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2011, 08:38
Given that the FIA are apparently evaluating DRS as the season goes on why not scrap it for one race to see what effect that has? I suppose the answer to that is that the rear wings have been designed with DRS in mind, but the general opinion seems to be that the tyres have had a far, far greater impact on overtaking than anything else.

DRS is a gimmick. It hinders racing. It's not needed. Scrap it.

Daniel
25th June 2011, 09:34
Given that the FIA are apparently evaluating DRS as the season goes on why not scrap it for one race to see what effect that has? I suppose the answer to that is that the rear wings have been designed with DRS in mind, but the general opinion seems to be that the tyres have had a far, far greater impact on overtaking than anything else.

Properly executed I think it helps racing, but sadly the FIA don't seem to be up for that...

ioan
25th June 2011, 10:56

Agreed it's a crappy knee jerk solution that should have never made it's way into F1 in this guise. Either it's free for all to use or it isn't allowed at all.

Sonic
25th June 2011, 11:33

That's actually a very good idea (always the tone of surprise!).

raphael_2
25th June 2011, 12:28

How can you say that? At some races overtaking has been impossible even when you have a car advantage of nearly 2 seconds a lap.

I agree, its not needed at every race, but to say its not needed at all is largely inaccurate.

ioan
25th June 2011, 12:30
How can you say that? At some races overtaking has been impossible even when you have a car advantage of nearly 2 seconds a lap.

I agree, its not needed at every race, but to say its not needed at all is largely inaccurate.

Then lets say it again. It is not needed!

airshifter
26th June 2011, 03:09

I'd be all for not using DRS for a couple of races just to see the result that tires alone have had on racing.

As for DRS hindering racing, I can't really agree. Just as with KERS, the tire changes, and the fact that the cars are not spec cars every inequality can be said to hinder racing. We had KERS and the F-Duct and nobody claimed they hindered racing. I understand the point that DRS is only used by the car following closely enough at the detection point and personally think DRS should be allowed as an "at will" system.

Done as an "at will" system many tracks would likely allow setups that take advantage of the two different wing profiles.
Case in point was Vettel today, setting a fast lap during qualification.

ArrowsFA1
26th June 2011, 09:22
How do we know?

I'm convinced that the tyres are the major factor, not DRS or KERS, but there's no way of knowing for sure. Remove DRS from the equation for a race and we may have a better idea of what contribution it is making.

The thing with DRS for me is that it handicaps the driver being overtaken simply because he has nothing to defend the pass. Also, I don't like the fact that the FIA dictate where and when it can be used. KERS is not limited as much, but it too is limited and not only by affordability, whereas the tyres are the same for everyone. Yes, they have been designed to a template set by the FIA, but come raceday it's up to the teams & drivers to manage the tyres as best they can.

i_max2k2
26th June 2011, 11:33
We might have some luck, with Charlie thinking about a 2nd detection zone with drivers voicing their opinion.

Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/#/all/article/?id=407368)

Whiting, however, is not satisfied and is close to arranging for a second activation point to be applied ahead of the second 'DRS' straight at Silverstone in a fortnight.
If not, the chasing driver has "a double advantage", argues Rubens Barrichello, because "he can drive off with his flat rear wing" in the second DRS zone "even if he is already ahead".
Sebastian Vettel agrees: "Rubens is right. When Button passed Schumacher in Montreal, Michael didn't stand a chance."
But a dissenting voice is Nick Heidfeld's, who argues: "The whole point is that the faster driver can pass. If the slower one can attack immediately again, the first overtaking move was pointless."

steveaki13
26th June 2011, 15:21
God F1 is so boring this year, why don't they make the DRS more effective so we can see Nascar style passing.

ioan
26th June 2011, 21:23
Heidfeld talking rubbish! :down:

UltimateDanGTR
26th June 2011, 21:33
Double DRS zones with double detection zones seem to be the fairest way. I see Heidfeld's point, but then again he can always wait to the second zone to use the DRS if he wants to avoid being DReSsed back. come to think of it, There could be some good racing tactics involved with 2 detection zones.

555-04Q2
27th June 2011, 11:04
If they have not realised by now that DRS is a rediculous system, they never will and god help us for all the other gimmicks they may intriduce in the future. Experts my ar$e :down:

N. Jones
27th June 2011, 14:01
What's wrong with DRS? If F1 doesn't use it to help passing what else can they do?

ioan
27th June 2011, 20:35
What's wrong with DRS? If F1 doesn't use it to help passing what else can they do?

Come up with sound aero rules, that's what they should do.
Still they chose to keep DRS and drop the new aero rules that were prepared for 2013. :down:

Big Ben
27th June 2011, 21:13

Itīs a very stupid idea. It helps overtaking by creating an artificial advantage for one driver in the detriment of another. what's not wrong about that?... not to mention the fact that it either makes passes too easy or it is completely ineffective like on Sunday (al least that's what I've heard, going to the pool even with only 20 degress outside seemed a better idea than THE SHOW). And I believe racing it's not just about passes. One should have the skills to make a pass, it should be a challenge not just push a button and take off.

Shifter
28th June 2011, 19:01
I think it's funny that the solution to overtaking difficulties (due to aero wake) has been around since the Lotus 78. Heck, GP2 were running ground effect until the 2011 car redesign, and GP2 racing is worse off for the lack of it.

ioan
28th June 2011, 19:37
I think it's funny that the solution to overtaking difficulties (due to aero wake) has been around since the Lotus 78. Heck, GP2 were running ground effect until the 2011 car redesign, and GP2 racing is worse off for the lack of it.

But how do you make ground effects interesting to the average Joe who watches every 4th race? With DRS is simple the commentators keep pointing it out every 10 seconds that the driver behind will now have the possibility to use the DRS and every an and his dog can see how the wing angle changes and the car behind goes 20 kph faster all of a sudden. This is F1s problem, catering to the wrong audience, to those who come an go without any special interest into the sport.

airshifter
29th June 2011, 04:47
Is all the DRS whining and pouting still going on? :)

I'd much prefer they sort out the aero of the cars myself, but DRS sure beats all the years and years we watched cars 2-3 second a lap quicker struggle to make a pass... anywhere on the course! If DRS made passes as easy as everyone claims, you could simply fall back before the detection zone, use DRS and blow past 2 or 3 cars a lap.

But from what I've seen the reality is that the only cars DRS is assisting at all are cars that are without doubt already the quicker cars, being held up only by the terrible aero regulations currently in place. And even in that case there have been a lot of DRS zone passes that still took laps and laps to pull off... something that happened a lot before DRS as well.

555-04Q2
29th June 2011, 07:42
Is all the DRS whining and pouting still going on?

Yes, because its a daft system :p :

SGWilko
29th June 2011, 09:51
Yes, because its a daft system :p :

Surely, you mean it's a draft system? :laugh:

555-04Q2
29th June 2011, 10:12
Surely, you mean it's a draft system? :laugh:

:laugh: smarta$$ :laugh:

Garry Walker
29th June 2011, 22:00
I dont think my interest in F1 has been so little in ages and I blame this on one thing - Artificial crap, horse dung that is DRS.

intheway
5th July 2011, 11:52
I especially don't like the fact that DRS can be used against backmarkers - it's just adding an extra element of randomness and luck for those doing the lapping.

V12
5th July 2011, 14:54
BBC Sport - Jacques Villeneuve tired of Formula 1 'borefest' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14027440.stm)

Finally - someone within the sport having the guts to criticise DRS - Jacques Villeneuve has gone up in my estimation here. Apologies if people outside the UK are unable to watch the video in the link (it's from the BBC website so they may have some restriction in place) but in a nutshell he says yes there's lots of overtaking but mostly before the braking zone in a straight, and you basically know it will happen so where's the excitement in that?

I must admit after making a bit of an effort at the start of the year (Australia wasn't too bad to be honest as the system didn't seem to cause any additional overtaking) I've zoned out and stopped watching altogether so I'll have to take his word for it as I've basically given up on F1 now (especially after watching some real racing at Le Mans a few weeks ago) - not that those in charge care as the influx of fair-weather, short-attention-spanned "fans" represents a net gain for their wallets.

Speaking of Villeneuves, can you imagine Jarama 1981 with this system in place? A classic would have become just another race.

555-04Q2
5th July 2011, 18:34
BBC Sport - Jacques Villeneuve tired of Formula 1 'borefest' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14027440.stm)

Finally - someone within the sport having the guts to criticise DRS - Jacques Villeneuve has gone up in my estimation here. Apologies if people outside the UK are unable to watch the video in the link (it's from the BBC website so they may have some restriction in place) but in a nutshell he says yes there's lots of overtaking but mostly before the braking zone in a straight, and you basically know it will happen so where's the excitement in that?

I must admit after making a bit of an effort at the start of the year (Australia wasn't too bad to be honest as the system didn't seem to cause any additional overtaking) I've zoned out and stopped watching altogether so I'll have to take his word for it as I've basically given up on F1 now (especially after watching some real racing at Le Mans a few weeks ago) - not that those in charge care as the influx of fair-weather, short-attention-spanned "fans" represents a net gain for their wallets.

Speaking of Villeneuves, can you imagine Jarama 1981 with this system in place? A classic would have become just another race.

I put the Daily News down about 30 minutes ago and in it was a short article about the JV view on F1 at the moment. The DRS issue is the first and probably only time that he and I will agree on something.

With regards to the Le Mans Series, I have gone from a casual follower of the series to full on fan. At the rate that the FIA is running F1 and the gimmicks revolution it is forcing on us, I may not be watching F1 next season after over 20 years.

ioan
5th July 2011, 20:48
Same here, including the JV part. :)

Alex Langheck
5th July 2011, 21:40
Hate to be unoriginal - but I'm another to agree. Far too many people in the world of F1 are stuck up their own exhaust pipes, and can't see the wood for the trees. JV is right - none of the overtakes are a surprise.... I wonder what the next gimmick is?
As others have said Sportscars/LMS/ILMC is 'proper' racing - and whilst not perfect with the Diesel/Petrol issue - it beats F1 by miles.

steveaki13
5th July 2011, 23:15
Me too. JV should run for FIA president. :crazy: :s murf:

markabilly
6th July 2011, 05:36
I think, as the song goes, It is kinda of a drag.....

Big Ben
6th July 2011, 09:16

I must say I can't. I just can't figure out how many AWESOME passes would have happened in that last lap. 1? 2? 3? 4?

V12
6th July 2011, 12:30
I must say I can't. I just can't figure out how many AWESOME passes would have happened in that last lap. 1? 2? 3? 4?

Awesome indeed ;) . The last lap though? none probably. Reutemann would probably have been by then well clear of Laffite having flicked the switch early in the race to get past Gilles, with Watson, de Angelis, Villeneuve and Mansell all well strung out behind, with Laffite, Watson and Elio having also used the magic button on the straight to make up for the Ferrari's power advantage to get past.

Jerez 1986 and Monaco 1992 might not have had the same tense outcome for that matter, or Imola 2005 (or was it '06, the Alonso/Schumacher battle?)

Big Ben
6th July 2011, 13:09
Awesome indeed ;) . The last lap though? none probably. Reutemann would probably have been by then well clear of Laffite having flicked the switch early in the race to get past Gilles, with Watson, de Angelis, Villeneuve and Mansell all well strung out behind, with Laffite, Watson and Elio having also used the magic button on the straight to make up for the Ferrari's power advantage to get past.

Jerez 1986 and Monaco 1992 might not have had the same tense outcome for that matter, or Imola 2005 (or was it '06, the Alonso/Schumacher battle?)

:p : I actually watched only that last lap on youtube... I didn't know how they ended up in that situation :p :. I was -3 back then.

Imola 2005 and 2006 are the best examples why passing is not everything in F1. I watched those races on the edge of my seat.

555-04Q2
6th July 2011, 14:50
:p : I actually watched only that last lap on youtube... I didn't know how they ended up in that situation :p :. I was -3 back then.

Imola 2005 and 2006 are the best examples why passing is not everything in F1. I watched those races on the edge of my seat.

Watching The Shoe hound Alonso and Alonso holding off The Shoe for 20 laps was brilliant :up:

D28
6th July 2011, 19:00
Having followed F1 for more decades than I care to remember, I am opposed to any electronic gizmos that attempt to solve the perennial problem of overtaking. I was aware of DRS from the beginning, but did not really understand the regulations untill Montreal, where commentators correctly explained MS "sitting duck" situation, when in 2nd place.

I studied the rules, but frankly I still do not understand them, especially in a specific race situation. Without Martin Brundle to explain each particular situation, I would be lost.
Which begs the question, What about paying spectators?
I know F1 is now almost completely a TV spectacle, still the spectators must count for something. In the dim past, before multiple pit stops, it was still difficult to track the leaders throughout a race. Track PA systems and radios were useless against the noise. How much information do current spectators have of the DRS zones, which car is enabled and so on. Is it easy to see the flaps open?
Perhaps someone who attended the Canadian Grand Prix, or any other, would like to comment on this. With all the complicated regulations, is there an information deficit for spectators?

Daniel
6th July 2011, 19:27
Having followed F1 for more decades than I care to remember, I am opposed to any electronic gizmos that attempt to solve the perennial problem of overtaking. I was aware of DRS from the beginning, but did not really understand the regulations untill Montreal, where commentators correctly explained MS "sitting duck" situation, when in 2nd place.

I studied the rules, but frankly I still do not understand them, especially in a specific race situation. Without Martin Brundle to explain each particular situation, I would be lost.
Which begs the question, What about paying spectators?

Tbh if you don't understand the regulations then I'm not sure your input won't be all that valuable in this thread.

D28
6th July 2011, 20:16
I understand them enough to know their complications, and as well as many spectators would. I am simply really looking for input from a spectator angle. Seems like a reasonable enough suggestion to me.

Daniel
6th July 2011, 20:25
I understand them enough to know their complications, and as well as many spectators would. I am simply really looking for input from a spectator angle. Seems like a reasonable enough suggestion to me.

But you said above that you don't understand the rules. It's not brain surgery....... I reckon you could get a 8 year old to understand the regs in regards to DRS.

D28
6th July 2011, 20:35
I said I did not understand the rules in a specific situation meaning, which cars at which part of the track can use the system, how to process all this information and keep track of all the leaders. What I really want to hear is on track experience away from TV commentators. Seems a simple enough request.

555-04Q2
7th July 2011, 06:30
I studied the rules, but frankly I still do not understand them

Don't worry. The FIA doesn't understand them either. If they did, they would not enforce such stupid rules in F1.

ArrowsFA1
7th July 2011, 10:47
I reckon you could get a 8 year old to understand the regs in regards to DRS.
Really? How would that go? How exactly would you explain DRS to someone who knew nothing about it?

airshifter
11th July 2011, 12:21
I especially liked the way DRS allowed Vettel to just fly right by Hamilton. It made the pass far too easy didn't it? :)

SGWilko
11th July 2011, 13:57
I especially liked the way DRS allowed Vettel to just fly right by Hamilton. It made the pass far too easy didn't it? :)

Don't blame the DRS for that, Seb just can't overtake...... ;)

Garry Walker
17th July 2011, 21:05

That just proves how massively incompetent Rapunzel is.

Garry Walker
17th July 2011, 21:06

That just proves how massively incompetent Rapunzel is.

Big Ben
19th July 2011, 14:44
Analysis: the success of Formula'1 new rules - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93181)

the rule seems to be the more the merrier. Question is, out of those 600 and something passes are you going to remeber any this time next year?

This is not a rhetorical question :p . I missed most of the races this year.