PDA

View Full Version : Keurig coffee-not worth it....

tannat
26th March 2011, 17:46
Was completely astonished this Christmas to unwrap a Keurig coffee maker as a gift from my wife to 'us'..

To be completely honest I would never ask for one of the things-I'm not an extravagant person, and i feel she was influenced to buy by her best friend. Regardless..

For the life of me I can't get the thing to make very bold, very good tasting coffee. It is always either 1) too weak or 2) simply too bold.

As you can't play with the amount of coffee (it is always one of the K cups) you have to play with one of 5 size settings...And after probably about 300 K cups, I think I'm ready to give it up.

"Honey, it's all yours....."

Any one have experience with these things?

GridGirl
26th March 2011, 18:37
I have to say that I had never heard of a Keurig coffee machine until I just looked it up on wikipedia. From what I've just read it seems to work on the same or similar principle to my Dolche Gusto machine by Nescafe in that you insert a capsule and press go. I go through phases of using mine extensively and then hardly ever at all. From my experience of this type of machine the secret of a good coffee is directly linked to the size of the cup. Do Keurig have a range of cups that help guide you to make certain types of drinks? I know Doche Gusto do them for their machines. I seem to have have worked out the correct quantities for my liking using my own cups but I have often thought about getting the Doche Gusto latte cups and the like to see if it really does make any difference.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th March 2011, 19:15
Being English I will stick to tea.

Captain VXR
26th March 2011, 21:03
Being lazy I will stick to Mountain Dew

Rollo
27th March 2011, 02:11
We have a Bialetti Moka Pot at home. It produces in my opinion, coffee that is at least as good as what you'd get in a coffee shop with a full-on espresso machine.

A Moka Pot is dead simple to operate as well; with the added advantage that you can grind your own coffee to taste. Those machiney things just seem like far to much effort to me, when something so simple does the job far better.

Dave B
27th March 2011, 06:19
I don't understand why anyone would restrict themselves to coffee that happens to be available in pods which fit your machine.

GridGirl
27th March 2011, 14:00
We got given our coffee machine as a gift. If it wasn't for the pods I would only drink coffee after dining out. Visitors would also be restricted to drinking tea, juice or alcohol as I don't think I'd bother buying it. I buy teabags under protest as it is. :)

Rollo
27th March 2011, 20:07
What I don't understand is that if you're going to be spending so much money in the purchase of a coffee pod machine, then it obviously proves that you're someway committed to wanting good coffee, so why not just buy a small espresso machine? Go on, learn the art of the barista, it's not hard to make good coffee yourself.
Do Wega or Giotto make a home espresso machine?

edv
28th March 2011, 17:54
I've had the Keurig system for a few years and love it.

schmenke
28th March 2011, 19:30
I too had to google keurig to see what all the fuss is about.
It seems that this gadget only brews one cup at a time so it is N/A for the schmenke household :mark: .

tannat
28th March 2011, 22:42
I too had to google keurig to see what all the fuss is about.
It seems that this gadget only brews one cup at a time so it is N/A for the schmenke household :mark: .

indeed-for my size mug I use three 'K cups' in order to get a decent strength.

tannat
28th March 2011, 22:43
Do Keurig have a range of cups that help guide you to make certain types of drinks? I know Doche Gusto do them for their machines. .

To the best of my knowledge just a single size, GG...

schmenke
29th March 2011, 14:29
indeed-for my size mug I use three 'K cups' in order to get a decent strength.

It's not only the strength that I like to vary, but particularily on weekend mornings the missus and I will have at least two mugs each. We typically brew a 5-cup batch in one go.