PDA

View Full Version : WRC Academy

Sulland
25th March 2011, 12:53
The youngster rally academy deserve its own thread, not to confuse with the FIA Academy, for all car sport branches.

The First round in Portugal 2011, and so far it has gone fine, 18 cars starts, and all are through for ss4.

Breen leading so far.

N.O.T
25th March 2011, 12:58
what are the differences between the WRC academy and the FIA academy....is there one?

cali
25th March 2011, 13:02
what are the differences between the WRC academy and the FIA academy....is there one?
WRC Academy - a competition
FIA Academy - educational programme (classroom learning etc)

N.O.T
25th March 2011, 13:13
different nobodies? or the same?

Sulland
25th March 2011, 13:18
Different

N.O.T
25th March 2011, 13:29
i am confused....

what cars do these academies use? both the r2 fiesta? and can we have the list of both academies in 1 thread ?

DonJippo
25th March 2011, 13:35
i am confused....

what cars do these academies use? both the r2 fiesta? and can we have the list of both academies in 1 thread ?

I think we need a new thread for the list...

N.O.T
25th March 2011, 13:39
I think we do not even have to bother with those amateurs with no future...but that is me.

Wasted Talent
25th March 2011, 14:13
You could be so wrong about the WRC Academy NOT.

There are some seriously talented youngsters involved and some also have decent funding behind them for the future.

WT

Sulland
25th March 2011, 14:51
Here is more info in the WRC Academy: http://www.wrc.com/wrcacademy/

Micke_VOC
26th March 2011, 17:29
I think we do not even have to bother with those amateurs with no future...but that is me.

You have cross the line now N.O.T, go and sleep under a rock rest of your life...

N.O.T
26th March 2011, 18:16
i do not think i have....its a nice way for wilson to make sure we have his son in the WRC for the decades to come but nothing more

how many of these academies did we have in the past ?

The ford trophy
the pirelli star driver
the fiesta trophy ects ects

how many drivers actually showed anything out of these cups ? exactly..... NOBODY.....

the FIA academy is good since it educates drivers but has no place in the WRC...the penicle of rallying sport.

tolis
26th March 2011, 18:38
So, Egon Kaur is the winner of round 1!!!

N.O.T
26th March 2011, 18:42
hennrikson finished ahead of him.....isn't he part of the academy?

satnav
26th March 2011, 18:58
Hennrikson had 20 secs pen , 2 mins lat at TC 7C isome results sites havn't that added on ,
Overall

PosNoDriverTimeDiff
PrevDiff
1st1.108E. KAURA3:30:13.80.00.02.111V. HENRIKSSONA3:30:30.2+16.4+16.43.116C. RIEDEMANNA3:33:45.0+3:14.8+3:31.24.106B. REEVESA3:34:57.2+1:12.2+4:43.45.101A. FISHERA3:36:09.4+1:12.2+5:55.66.113M. BALDONIA3:36:55.2+45.8+6:41.47.115M. TAYLORA3:43:05.7+6:10.5+12:51.9

pantealex
26th March 2011, 20:34
how many drivers actually showed anything out of these cups ? exactly..... NOBODY.....

One for sure: Hayden Paddon
And maybe other too: Ott Tänak

rp
26th March 2011, 21:03

Don´t forget Jarkko Nikara during the year 2009...

But that´s true. It is very rare situation if someone driver is able to show some skills nowadays.

It seems that in this WRC Acedemy Craig Breen is in the class of his own, but has to remenber that is was only the first round...

bluuford
26th March 2011, 21:29
Here are the results after the round 1:
1. Kaur 28p (3 - points for stage wins)
2. Henriksson 19p(1)
3. Riedemann 15p(0)
4. Reeves 12p(0)
5. Fisher 12p (2)
6. Baldoni 8p (0)
7. Crugnola 6p (0)
8. Breen 5p(5)
9. Taylor 4p(0)
10. Brunello 2(0)
11. Ahlin 1 (1)
12. Van DR Marel 1(0)
13. Lemes 1(1)

To add some more information, then
It was second rally Portugal for: Breen, Lemes, Riedemann and Henriksson.
So, they should be little bit faster than others - if you look at the number of stagewins.. they took 7 out of 13 stagewins.

N.O.T
26th March 2011, 22:14

tanak, nikara yes.... but those two where known before the academy same as mikelsen ects....my point is that the WRC academy offers nothing. Tanak, nikara did not became known from pirelli star driver.

Paddon is nothing special, same as breen and other media champions.

the academy of FIA is indeed a great idea but it should be out of the WRC.

the others are nothing

TKM Jnr
27th March 2011, 05:46
i do not think i have....its a nice way for wilson to make sure we have his son in the WRC for the decades to come but nothing more

how many of these academies did we have in the past ?

The ford trophy
the pirelli star driver
the fiesta trophy ects ects

the FIA academy is good since it educates drivers but has no place in the WRC...the penicle of rallying sport.
Apart from the fact that the FIA academy is the replacement for the JWRC and how many WRC drivers came from the JWRC??

Love the armchair expertise on here!!

Munkvy
27th March 2011, 09:24

Paddon is nothing? He is currently 6mins+ ahead of his nearest competitor, 11th outright, driving a car he has never competed in before on a rally that he isn't exactly familiar with. And consistently beating several WRC Cars? I wouldn't exactly call that nothing?

Franky
27th March 2011, 13:59
Paddon did Rally de Portugal last year with the Pirelli Star Driver programme, so he is familiar with the rally.

Munkvy
27th March 2011, 19:53
Paddon did Rally de Portugal last year with the Pirelli Star Driver programme, so he is familiar with the rally.
Which is a good example of PSD helping drivers gain experience, exactly what was being talked about.

However to be fair, doing a rally once does not make you familiar with it, especially when it changes a reasonable amount the next year.

smokin'joe
27th March 2011, 21:42

the last person i seen type a similar comment on a similar forum, was made to eat his words. and that was back when Paddon was a 17y-o competing in regional rallies in a FWD.
just because NZ dosn't have a massive population base, it dosn't mean that his national titles were a 'walk in the park'.
maybe you are a wee bit miffed because your country hasn't produced ANYONE of ANY calibre??

N.O.T
27th March 2011, 22:26
actually no, its not because of that.....the way things work in my country do not allow any type of progress in motorsport... the more media people you pay and control here the better driver you are, the "yes men" are an asset also.....so i see no present or future here either.

I wake up every day wishing someone to make me eat my words....i wish paddon is the one....but he is not going to. Good driver he is for sure but we have a lot of those all around the world but i doubt he can leave his mark....we will see....and as i said i wish he makes me crawl over to him one day at the acropolis rally and shout "You are the greatest"....time will tell.

can you name any considerable opposition he faced ?? because i stopped following PWRC,JWRC,Fiesta cups-pots and pans long long time ago.

smokin'joe
27th March 2011, 23:40
can you name any considerable opposition he faced ?? because i stopped following PWRC,JWRC,Fiesta cups-pots and pans long long time ago.
Ott Tanak for one, and you lauded him on page 1.

Carlo
28th March 2011, 02:25
Paddon is nothing special,

I guess that fortunately for Hayden there does not really appear to be anyone else who shares your opinion

cali
28th March 2011, 13:34
Ott Tanak for one, and you lauded him on page 1.
Did not see Tänak driving in Portugal. Last year Paddon got whopped by Tänak. Only being a bit faster on tarmac.

euskalteam
28th March 2011, 14:11
Well, the WRC Academy is the ONLY oportunity for young drivers to know some WRC rallyes with a contended price.

Mintexmemory
28th March 2011, 14:43
Did not see Tänak driving in Portugal. Last year Paddon got whopped by Tänak. Only being a bit faster on tarmac.
Sorry, selective memory in operation, Paddon finished above Tanak in PWRC. While Ott was spectacular in Finland , Germany and GB, Paddon actually beat him fair and square in Germany with very little tarmac experience and was brilliant in Australia. Both of Ott's wins saw Paddon in 3rd place. Paddon is also making his own way without the guidance of a WRC winner, and if you have seen them both competing head to head you'll realise that there is very little to choose between them and that the only advantage Araujo had over them both was experience. They are both going to be very good if they get the backing!

smokin'joe
29th March 2011, 00:40
Sorry, selective memory in operation, Paddon finished above Tanak in PWRC. While Ott was spectacular in Finland , Germany and GB, Paddon actually beat him fair and square in Germany with very little tarmac experience and was brilliant in Australia. Both of Ott's wins saw Paddon in 3rd place. Paddon is also making his own way without the guidance of a WRC winner, and if you have seen them both competing head to head you'll realise that there is very little to choose between them and that the only advantage Araujo had over them both was experience. They are both going to be very good if they get the backing!thank you. taking nothing away from Tanak, he is very quick, but Hayden's result in PWRC last was higher. they both have a very bright future, if they can continue financially

N.O.T
29th March 2011, 01:31
how old are tannak and paddon ?

29th March 2011, 04:26
how old are tannak and paddon ?
Hayden is like 23 or so i think and it was NZ where he won last year not Aus.

Carlo
29th March 2011, 04:54
Paddon did the business on his 1st trip to Australia in 2009.

He will be 24 on April 20th and amongst other things he is organising all his own sponsorship, general funding and media activities himself. It is worthwhile being a member of his facebook page just to get the numerous updates he sends out during an event.

In the kitchen draw of International Motorsport NZ has some very sharp knifes across every field of activity, Motor cycles, Sports cars, Saloon cars, Single seaters, Karts, Speedway and Rallying etc and currently Hayden is probably the sharpest knife in there. He is good, very good.

I too also rate Ott Tanak very highly and am of the opinion that he and Hayden are the two drivers that we will see progress successfully into the WRC field in the near future

cali
29th March 2011, 07:47
Sorry, selective memory in operation, Paddon finished above Tanak in PWRC. While Ott was spectacular in Finland , Germany and GB, Paddon actually beat him fair and square in Germany with very little tarmac experience and was brilliant in Australia. Both of Ott's wins saw Paddon in 3rd place. Paddon is also making his own way without the guidance of a WRC winner, and if you have seen them both competing head to head you'll realise that there is very little to choose between them and that the only advantage Araujo had over them both was experience. They are both going to be very good if they get the backing!

Selective indeed, Tänak had also 2 offs while he was leading by minutes. Speedwise Tänak was way faster on gravel than Paddon, who actually improved a lot during the season. Both guys had their first drives on tarmac, Paddon being clearly fastest on that surface. Both are very talented, bu like you stated, Ott has more experience which ofcourse has helped.

Btw both guys are 23 yrs

Mintexmemory
29th March 2011, 09:06
Selective indeed, Tänak had also 2 offs while he was leading by minutes. Speedwise Tänak was way faster on gravel than Paddon, who actually improved a lot during the season. Both guys had their first drives on tarmac, Paddon being clearly fastest on that surface. Both are very talented, bu like you stated, Ott has more experience which ofcourse has helped.

Btw both guys are 23 yrs

:up: Both very good and too early to say whether either has the drop on the other. BTW at Rally Deutschland 2010 all the Pirelli crews were given a 'debrief' at the end of the event while waiting for the final ceremony (Ott and Hayden sitting in the ring) where the team co-ordinator was administering a slap on the wrists as several of the PSD teams had been given tickets for speeding on the public roads. Let's just say that Hayden looked relaxed :s mokin:

Jaanus
29th March 2011, 17:55
thank you. taking nothing away from Tanak, he is very quick, but Hayden's result in PWRC last was higher. they both have a very bright future, if they can continue financially

But why was Paddon higher in the overall results table? Because Pirelli Star programme covered only 4 PWRC events so while Tänak did score from those 4 events, Paddon scored from 6 events, because he funded NZ and Japan drives from his own sponsors and with his own EVO 9. In the end Paddon scored 25 + 18 = 43 points from those events.
If you want to compare the results fairly then you should look at only those results where both started and if you take away those 43 points from Paddon you will see that Tänak would be hgiher in the points table.

Maui J.
29th March 2011, 22:43
Oh no! A war has began between Estonia and New Zealand.
Isn't the war between Finland and France enough, not to forget N.O.T vs The World.

Sladden
29th March 2011, 23:02
I got kind of a bad feeling when they did that little WRC academy thing in the rally programme. As allways we MUST get lots of young drivers into the limelight. Anyway...media training, driver training?
Just got this flashback of the past 10 years with all these wasted opportunities handed out...And good drivers like C Mcrae sidelined.
Im just a bit sceptical...but hoping for the best of course.
Thank you!

cali
30th March 2011, 08:02
Isn't the war between Finland and France enough, not to forget N.O.T vs The World.

No war, just some facts were cleared out

bluuford
30th March 2011, 08:15

Geographically most distant country to Estonia (approximately 17 000km):-)
Lets go back to the Academy topic. Academy is using Pirelli tyres. Does anyone knows if these are exactly the same as the control tyres that were used in 2010 WRC?

mousti
30th March 2011, 08:15
The most interesting part is, and difference from those other championships in WRC. Prize is 500K Euros with that u can make a nice programme for 2011 without any sponsor money already. That's the biggest problem that many good drivers from the competitions don't get mainstream, it's MONEY and maybe with this price we get a talent on the biggest level. Just dreaming a bit now :)

The other acadamy is mixed autosport btw.

30th March 2011, 21:14
No war, just some facts were cleared out

Cali if you are stating facts you will also know that where Tanak was quicker than Paddon last year in Portugal and Finland, they were both events that Tanak I believe had previous expirience of. We can see how much difference that made to Paddon this year in Portugal. In Turkey they swapped quickest times and I believe in GB Paddon was ahead of Tanak before he hit problems on Day 1.

The academy cars are not using last years control tyres, I think they are using a K series customer tyre?

Sulland
8th May 2011, 14:51
What is it that breaking mostly on the Fiesta R2s ?

bluuford
9th May 2011, 23:42
Egon Kaur told that most of the Fiestas retired on the same place in SS4 where they took a big cut like WRC-s did but Academy cars are not as strong as the other cars and most of them broke the sump on some big sharp rocks. Bit similar to the retirement of Gronholm of few years ago..I think.

noel157
10th May 2011, 09:45
If the cars are so fragile we could get a situation where the winner of the championship could well be the slowest and most careful driver.....

N.O.T
10th May 2011, 10:21
its just a copy of the previous fiesta cup trophy...the nobody with the least problems wins....and at the end we send him home to celebrate with his family and friends.

i see no point of existence of such category in the top of the sport. i think they should only do 2 days on the tarmac events and the longest day of the gravel events if they want them in the WRC calendar.

Mirek
10th May 2011, 10:34
If the cars are so fragile we could get a situation where the winner of the championship could well be the slowest and most careful driver.....

I think that for this reason Academy uses classification system based also on separate stage results.

AndyRAC
10th May 2011, 11:30
What are we trying to find - a quick driver, or one who gets to the finish? Not always the same.
It seems as if the fastest driver might not win the Academy, but the most fortunate. At this stage in a drivers career, I want to see who has the pace, the consistency can come later. Which is why I don't think too much of these Titles - I mean only Loeb/Ogier and maybe Sordo of J-WRC winners have done anything.

Bobcat
30th June 2011, 16:33
World Rally Championship - News - Hirvonen to give WRC Academy guest lecture (http://www.wrc.com/news/hirvonen-to-give-wrc-academy-guest-lecture/?fid=14962)

N.O.T
30th June 2011, 16:57
lol....nice choice of driver.

Sulland
1st July 2011, 23:10

For how long did MSport win the contract?

bluuford
31st July 2011, 22:05
So, we are on the half way of the season and what are the results.
Wins
E.Kaur 3 wins

Top Points:
1. Kaur 88
2. Reeves 36
3. Breen 36
4. Baldoni 26
5. J.Cerny 22
6. Riedemann 21
7. Henrikkson 20
8. Ahlin 17
9. Crugnola 16
10. Fisher 16
11. Van der Marel 16
However, when I am looking WRC.com point, then Kaur got +5points, but he won 6 stages? So, he should have one more point?

Stage wins:
1. Kaur 14
2. Breen 14
3. Fisher 6
4. Crugnola 2
5. Ahlin 2
6. Lemes 2
7. Henrikkson 2
8. Reeves 2

So, on gravel, two guys have taken approximately 60% of stage wins, however, on of them tends to overdo some stages and that is why we have such kind of classification rght now.

Barreis
1st August 2011, 23:11
Must say that this's very boring vs JWRC.

Mintexmemory
1st August 2011, 23:36
Must say that this's very boring vs JWRC.

Why? More competitors and from what I saw in Sardinia high levels of commitment. Have you seen them live on a stage? For Breen to have retired twice because of rock damage taking cuts shows the best in the class are very serious.

focus206
2nd August 2011, 00:42
Why? More competitors and from what I saw in Sardinia high levels of commitment. Have you seen them live on a stage? For Breen to have retired twice because of rock damage taking cuts shows the best in the class are very serious.
WRC Academy is not bad, but I liked more JWRC... maybe the level of the drivers is higher now in the Academy, but I don't like the fact they use just the Fiesta R2: last years, with the C2, Swift, Clio, Fiesta and Civic was more exciting, but this is just my personal opinion.

Mirek
2nd August 2011, 09:34
They were really nice to watch in Finland. But of course R2 Fiestas will be quite boring on asphalt. But still S1600 was muuuuch more expensive than R2...

Mintexmemory
2nd August 2011, 10:19
They were really nice to watch in Finland. But of course R2 Fiestas will be quite boring on asphalt. But still S1600 was muuuuch more expensive than R2...

Anyone who saw Breen at Rally Catalonia in 2009 might have a different opinion, he certainly extracts all the possible performance from an R2. I would not be surprised if he is the overwhelming winner of the tarmac Academy rounds.

mousti
4th August 2011, 08:21

An R2 Max isn't on asphalt quite boring like the Fiesta who has lack of power (result cheaper car). Good talent can have on some places with the R2 Max very spectacular moments when they show they've cojones :D

Mirek
4th August 2011, 08:38
I agree but C2 is spectacular mostly because it bumps around on bad surface like a ping-pong ball :)

OldF
4th August 2011, 16:17
Then it’s nice to play with.

bluuford
16th November 2011, 14:01
Next season WRC Academy will be again with Fiesta R2 cars and with Pirelli control tires. Price will be again 500k. However, there are slight changes in regulations. Now only 5 best events from 6 events will be counted and in addition, stage win points from that sixt event still count. So, that should encourage faster driving and the one who is faster might be more clearly visible than it was in 2011. It leaves you some space for mistakes and risks.

What would have had happened in 2011 with those regulations? Nothing! All drivers had at least one non finish or zero score in 2011 :-)

ProRally
16th November 2011, 16:37
Careful SupeRally is not GUARANTEED !!!!! Ok, MC is not Academy but they said no to SupeRally.

Each organizer can decide yes or no to it....

Mintexmemory
16th November 2011, 18:33
Next season WRC Academy will be again with Fiesta R2 cars and with Pirelli control tires. Price will be again 500k. However, there are slight changes in regulations. Now only 5 best events from 6 events will be counted and in addition, stage win points from that sixt event still count. So, that should encourage faster driving and the one who is faster might be more clearly visible than it was in 2011.

Sorry only a myopic lemming would have failed to see that Breen was clearly the fastest driver across the spread of events, Kaur only winning the early rounds because Craig was going too fast ;-)

Fly
3rd January 2012, 21:22
WRC Academy Newsletter Issue 17 - Special Edition (http://mim.io/d86522)

mousti
31st January 2012, 18:39
New prizes for this season!

FIA appoint M-Sport as WRC Academy promoter (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/941-fia-appoint-m-sport-as-wrc-academy-promoter)

rallyfiend
31st January 2012, 18:44
New prizes for this season!

FIA appoint M-Sport as WRC Academy promoter (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/941-fia-appoint-m-sport-as-wrc-academy-promoter)

That seems a step down from the 500k previously advertised.

I wonder if this separation from whoever becomes the whole WRC promoter will affect the ability for the Academy to feature in the TV package?

Wasted Talent
31st January 2012, 19:38
I can't really see the winner opting to do a full 2013 season in a R2 Fiesta again. I guess 5 WRC outings in a S2000 Fiesta would cost near to 500,000 Euro but I think most winners would prefer the money and make it go a bit further

WT

bluuford
31st January 2012, 21:15
I can't really see the winner opting to do a full 2013 season in a R2 Fiesta again. I guess 5 WRC outings in a S2000 Fiesta would cost near to 500,000 Euro but I think most winners would prefer the money and make it go a bit further

WT

Depends on what they give you for those 5 rallies. If you get proper S2000 car, service crew, entry fee, tyres, fuel, insurance, accomodation, recce car, plane ticets, then 100 000 for one rally is good deal I think.

irish_tiger
1st February 2012, 00:22
Depends on what they give you for those 5 rallies. If you get proper S2000 car, service crew, entry fee, tyres, fuel, insurance, accomodation, recce car, plane ticets, then 100 000 for one rally is good deal I think.
Mmm remember Malcom has his claws on this now .... i wonder what kind of car will he prepare for the guy who wins this between events ? ... a wash and a Polish :-(

Wasted Talent
2nd February 2012, 20:29

I agree, but someone like Craig Breen already has a S2000 Fiesta so he will be able to do more than 5 events for 500,000 Euro.

WT

mousti
2nd February 2012, 20:49
Indeed, SWRC + some IRC events.

tolis
15th February 2012, 18:15
Jose Antonio Suarez will compete in the WRC Academy again this year.

27th February 2012, 07:05
Brendan Reeves is entering the WRC Academy again this year

Reeves confirms WRC Academy entry (http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/02/24/reeves-confirms-wrc-academy-entry/)

Rallyper
27th February 2012, 09:55
Swede Åhlin as well into the series.

Pinto
28th February 2012, 11:28
Ali Fisher ill be back out as well this year as well

tolis
28th February 2012, 11:39
Also John Mac Crone!
MacCrone Steps Up To WRC Academy (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/990-maccrone-steps-up-to-wrc-academy)

Francis44
28th February 2012, 11:45
João Silva is in for atleast 2 rally's.

cali
28th February 2012, 12:23
WRC Academy runner-up Egon Kaur also considers to do the series again, but still does not have complete budget for this season.

tolis
8th March 2012, 18:54
11 Drivers revealed: Introducing the FIA WRC Academy crews of 2012 (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/997-introducing-the-fia-wrc-academy-crews-of-2012)
5 out of 6 results count for the final classification and that means that we may see more names added before the Acropolis Rally in late May.

Drivers

Fredrik Åhlin (20) (SWE)
Chris Duplessis (24) (USA)
Elfyn Evans (23) (GB)
Alastair Fisher (23) (GB)
Ashleigh Haigh-Smith (19) (RSA)
Yeray Lemes (25) (ESP)
John MacCrone (22) (SCO)
Brendan Reeves (23) (AUS)
João Silva (24) (POR)
Jose Antonio Suárez (20) (ESP)
Timo Van der Marel (22) (NL)

Gherid_lacksGPS
9th March 2012, 04:22
Yeah, just heard about this on another forum. So excited to see Duplessis in there, has really put in the time and his own dime to get a chance like this. No other 2wd driver in the states can even come close to touching him. Hopefully the US can get a legitimate competitor one day....

PLuto
9th March 2012, 13:24
[quote="tolis"]5 out of 6 results count for the final classification and that means that we may see more names added before the Acropolis Rally in late May.

As you can see from last year, they will take anybody in anytime. Deadlines arent important for them, it is only about money...

tolis
12th March 2012, 19:19
So Pontus Tidemand and Mark Donnelly are both doing the WRC Academy this year?

mousti
12th March 2012, 20:54
Pontus yes, Mark Donnely not sure but could be

cercle
13th March 2012, 20:01
Will Molly Taylor compete this season in WRC Academy?

Wasted Talent
13th March 2012, 20:41
Pontus yes, Mark Donnely not sure but could be

Mark Donnelly is on the start list for Portugal so it is looking really good for the Brits - Alistair Fisher, Elfyn Evans, Mark Donnelly and John MacCrone all competing

WT

Micke_VOC
23rd March 2012, 15:08
Livery of Pontus Tidemand´s Fiesta: Pontus Tidemand | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PontusTidemand)

noel157
23rd March 2012, 18:34
Mark Donnelly is on the start list for Portugal so it is looking really good for the Brits - Alistair Fisher, Elfyn Evans, Mark Donnelly and John MacCrone all competing

WT

Donnelly has withdrawn from the Academy I understand.

Gherid_lacksGPS
23rd March 2012, 22:13
Donnelly has withdrawn from the Academy I understand.
What? Do you know the circumstances / have a link? I ran across an editorial dated today that was talking about his venture into the academy.

Edit: NVM, reading comprehension is a critical skill.....one which i should probably pick up.

Sulland
24th March 2012, 14:23
Livery of Pontus Tidemand´s Fiesta: Pontus Tidemand | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PontusTidemand)

They should make the front and rear spoiler green, to easier recognize the car.
To anonymous for my taste.

Gherid_lacksGPS
27th March 2012, 21:28
American, Chris Duplessis's car. Thanks to "ErikZ" of the SS forums for the heads up.
http://www.rallysport.hu/images/2012/photo/wrc/04_portugal/01_kedd/images/RSHU_Photo_005_jpg.jpg

janvanvurpa
27th March 2012, 23:02
American, Chris Duplessis's car. Thanks to "ErikZ" of the SS forums for the heads up.

Hey, You're in Seattle it seems, you ought to come out and have a beer with some of the lowly clubbie rally guys locally.
You ever peek in on Rally Anarchy - Don't Panic (http://www.rallyanarchy.com) forum. Found rigth over there in my driveway. We're planning a beer fueled meet-n-greet deal somewhere central and maybe look at Portogallo WRC and introduce the new newbs to the "usual suspects"...

Come on over and say hi.

Gherid_lacksGPS
30th March 2012, 15:03
Hey, You're in Seattle it seems, you ought to come out and have a beer with some of the lowly clubbie rally guys locally.
You ever peek in on Rally Anarchy - Don't Panic (http://www.rallyanarchy.com) forum. Found rigth over there in my driveway. We're planning a beer fueled meet-n-greet deal somewhere central and maybe look at Portogallo WRC and introduce the new newbs to the "usual suspects"...

Come on over and say hi.
I live in the Couve'/P-town now, but I actually just got back from Seattle last night on a business/conference trip. I will most definitely be peeping the forums and hook up sometime. :-)

OldF
28th August 2012, 21:00
25% cut in WRC Academy costs? Lets hope this will happen.

iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00001750)

aykutbilir
30th August 2012, 11:20

iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00001750)

Because its still too expensive for young competitors! Especially according to these economical status of Europe.
Every race Academy crews going less!

rallyfiend
30th August 2012, 11:34
Because its still too expensive for young competitors! Especially according to these economical status of Europe.
Every race Academy crews going less!

Even on today's rates, 6 international events for £120k is pretty good. I'm guessing they're hoping that a manufacturer will come in with greater financial input and promotion.

I note that since NOS disappeared the promotion of this series has been fairly non-existent. What has M-Sport been doing to promote it?

AndyRAC
30th August 2012, 11:42

It needs to happen. And hopefully another Manufacturer....

wrc1600
30th August 2012, 11:44
Even on today's rates, 6 international events for £120k is pretty good. I'm guessing they're hoping that a manufacturer will come in with greater financial input and promotion.

I note that since NOS disappeared the promotion of this series has been fairly non-existent. What has M-Sport been doing to promote it?
They don't promoted, they make money out of it. All project is about money not promotion of Academy or drivers. Realisticaly who would want to take Academy champion? What is the next step in their carrier if there is no JWRC? The gap between Academy and PWRC or SWRC is just too big for those young boys. JWRC made sens, champions like Sordo, Ogier are top drivers now, others like Prokop or Kosciuszko are doing pretty well.

Prisoner Monkeys
30th August 2012, 12:04
They don't promoted, they make money out of it. All project is about money not promotion of Academy or drivers. Realisticaly who would want to take Academy champion? What is the next step in their carrier if there is no JWRC? The gap between Academy and PWRC or SWRC is just too big for those young boys. JWRC made sens, champions like Sordo, Ogier are top drivers now, others like Prokop or Kosciuszko are doing pretty well.
As was posted in another thread, there appears to be a plan to restructure the support categories under the R-class regulations. The SWRC will become known as "WRC2", Group N will be "WRC3" and the WRC Academy would be "WRC4", with the goal being a more-linear progression towards the WRC itself. Kind of like the MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 or Formula 1, GP2 and GP3 systems used in motorcycle and circuit racing.

rallyfiend
30th August 2012, 12:11
As was posted in another thread, there appears to be a plan to restructure the support categories under the R-class regulations. The SWRC will become known as "WRC2", Group N will be "WRC3" and the WRC Academy would be "WRC4", with the goal being a more-linear progression towards the WRC itself. Kind of like the MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 or Formula 1, GP2 and GP3 systems used in motorcycle and circuit racing.

I thought the plan was for WRC 2 to combine all the SWRC and PWRC (Group N derivations) in one class.

WRC 3 would I think be 2WD

Prisoner Monkeys
30th August 2012, 12:13
Well, I was reading a translated version of the article, so I might have misunderstood parts of it.

But the point still stands: there appears to be a plan to create a structure in the support categories that should make it easier for young drivers to advance up to the WRC. And that can only be a good thing.

wrc1600
31st August 2012, 08:14
That will make more sens but still I think the gap between Academy and PWRC/SWRC is too big, jumping from little FWD fiesta to powerfull 4WD car is a bit too much for most drivers. Also very expensive.

Prisoner Monkeys
31st August 2012, 08:26
I'm guessing part of the plan might be to have manufacturers enter teams - or at least support privateers - at the WRC2 and WRC3 level. Ford, as we already know, make several versions of the Fiesta WRC, and I've heard rumours that Volkswagen will do the same for the Polo (there's nothing from Citroen or Mini), in which case they would likely have driver programmes.

The whole WRC2-3-4 system appears to be modelled on the feeder series used in Formula 1 and MotoGP. Yes, there is a big step up from WRC4 to WRC3 and from WRC3 to WRC2, but the idea is that the most naturally-talented drivers will easily adapt to bigger and mroe-powerful machinery. The linear progression system from WRC4 to the WRC itself isn't designed to hold the drivers' hands and guarantee them a place in the WRC at some point in the future. It encourages the msot naturally-talented drivers to advance. Some may only make it to WRC2 before plateauing off. Others will only make it to WRC3. Some may never get out of WRC4. But in the end, the best drivers will make it to the WRC. Yes, it's a little cold to expect drivers to perform in the upper echelons straight away, but that's just motorsport.

Franky
31st August 2012, 08:38
Ford, as we already know, make several versions of the Fiesta WRC

As far as I know there's one Fiesta WRC version, the difference between all of them is how new the parts in it are.

wrc1600
31st August 2012, 08:40
All sounds good but my point is JWRC helped young drivers to progress and get used to powerfull cars, look how many good drivers went through it. Also it was popular with big number of entries.For me they could even join PWRC with SWRC and bring back JWRC.

Gordini
2nd September 2012, 18:28
Will r1a Yaris be enough power for wrc4, or need them a r2 car? R1 will drop price much for young drivers, and this good.