PDA

View Full Version : Paul di Resta: How will he do?

woody2goody
24th March 2011, 19:37
How does everyone think the Scotsman will get on in his first season of F1?

I think he'll do ok, but not spectacularly in 2011, and then push on from there. I think if he can get 5 or 6 points finishes he'll have done well given the expected performance of the car.

I think his DTM career will help him in terms of already being a fairly big name in Germany, and he seems to have the temperament to succeed at the highest level.

Garry Walker
24th March 2011, 20:46
In lower series he was better than Vettel, lets hope DTM has not ruined him.

keysersoze
25th March 2011, 12:12
Solid but unspectacular. The problem is that that isn't good enough--nowadays a driver needs to be scintillating or we write them off.

Plus, he's not in a car that can perform well on all the tracks. The teams F1 compete with--STR and Sauber--have had a better off-season, and perhaps Lotus have caught them as well.

Sonic
25th March 2011, 12:55
Based on today he'll do just fine, but I have to agree he's laible to get overlooked, even if his performances are solid, as he'll be lucky to qualify that car 15th as it seems to have lost ground to the midfield.

I am evil Homer
25th March 2011, 13:05
The best barometer will be his team mate. If he's close or beating him then he's good enough, whether the car is in istelf competitve is another matter.

jens
25th March 2011, 16:03
We know that in F1 everything has to be absolutely perfect to really perform at an impressive level. F1 is so complicated and every detail counts. Even Hülkenberg, who had been impressive in lower categories, took half a season to get to grips with F1 last year. And nowadays we have much less testing than in the past. I think the main challenge for di Resta is that he has been out of single-seaters for 4 years. It is not quite the Schumacher-way of being completely out of sport for three years, but it is still a completely different ball-game. It will be a serious challenge for Paul to adapt quickly, so if he can impress on his debut season, he will have done very well. I believe he has talent, but let's see, how well can he adapt and uptap it.

woody2goody
26th March 2011, 12:43
The best barometer will be his team mate. If he's close or beating him then he's good enough, whether the car is in istelf competitve is another matter.

Spot on, and I think he's got a shot at beating Sutil who isn't my favourite driver.

Robinho
27th March 2011, 09:47
decent race from Di Resta, was ahead or just behind Sutil pretty much all race, and ran well in the points for a while. i hope the car improves a little, i think he could do ok. he's a good driver, better than a few others who have managed a couple of years already IMO, so hopefully he'll stick around

MrJan
27th March 2011, 09:58
Sutil is a quality driver so to be near him on his first race is quite promising. Interesting to hear him on the F1 Forum (red button) admitting that he made quite a few mistakes, particularly on in laps, that cost him dearly. Not something that drivers usually do and it's great to hear him say stuff like "I think it's my own performance that needs work" rather than blaming the car, tyres or the stewards.

Daniel
27th March 2011, 10:09
it's great to hear him say stuff like "I think it's my own performance that needs work" rather than blaming the car, tyres or the stewards.

Perhaps he should have got the team to ask the stewards? :D

steveaki13
27th March 2011, 10:44
I think Paul did very well, as said he stayed in front of Sutil early on and was close on his heels for most of the race.

I don't think he or Sutil will have a great season, as the Force India appears alot slower than the start of last season, and I think they will both struggle.

But a very solid start from the Scot

Retro Formula 1
28th March 2011, 16:48
Great debut for Paul. Sutil is quite underrated IMHO and Paul was a match for him.

Not wanting to get carried away but there's a couple of top teams that may be interested if he keeps on like this.

Daniel
28th March 2011, 17:02
Great debut for Paul. Sutil is quite underrated IMHO and Paul was a match for him.

Not wanting to get carried away but there's a couple of top teams that may be interested if he keeps on like this.

Lets face it, Schumacher looks as lost as last year and Nick has no excuse. Massa might be on a dodgy wicket and Webber needs to come back strong but I would prefer he didn't go to those two.

Just remember that schumacher was missing a nice chunk of floor

Retro Formula 1
28th March 2011, 17:10
Ohhh, Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I just spotted the first Schumy excuse this year.

Do I get a prize?????

:D

markabilly
28th March 2011, 17:22

Do I get a prize?????

yes.
close eyes, open mouth and say "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Daniel
28th March 2011, 17:26

Do I get a prize?????

Well someone did crash into him which forced him to retire from the race :mark: Perhaps Lewis should have just kept on going last year at monza? :confused:

Retro Formula 1
28th March 2011, 17:35
He was hardly that strong all weekend now, was he?

Nico will hand his ass to him again this year and the appologists will be working overtime on these hallowed boards :D

markabilly
28th March 2011, 17:38
......Nico will hand his ass to him again :D

What is schuie going to do with nico's ass? errr nevermind

Daniel
28th March 2011, 19:10
He was hardly that strong all weekend now, was he?

Nico will hand his ass to him again this year and the appologists will be working overtime on these hallowed boards :D

I agree that it doesn't look good based on this weekend but one race maketh not a season :p

pino
28th March 2011, 20:05
Please let's stick to the topic, thanks :)

pino
28th March 2011, 20:12
I'm yet to read a post that isn't on topic unless some have been removed?

Yes they have ;)