PDA

View Full Version : Versus 2011 Broadcast team

DBell
21st March 2011, 21:12
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2011-broadcast-team-set/

Robbie Buhl and Jack Arute are out and Wally Dallenbach Jr. and Robin Miller are in. Miller isn't leaving Speed, he's joining the pre-race show and will be in-race reporter at selected telecasts.

I didn't mind Robbie Buhl, he has a passion for the sport that's nice to see. I don't watch Nascar much at all, so I can't remember Wally in the booth when NBC had them. But I am glad Jack Arute is out. I know he's been around Indycars for a long time and some will miss him, but not me. He had become unbearable for me. When I would see a segment with him on it, I would fast forward the DVR. And I'll bet Jag Warrior is feeling a lot better about this seasons Versus broadcast without Arute being part of it. :p

Dr. Krogshöj
21st March 2011, 22:25
Also, Mike Wells will take over as the director of the Versus broadcasts according to IndyCar's website. He used to produce NASCAR on NBC. The Versus broadcasts will now be 5 hours for each race instead of 3 hours as they will include Indy Lights coverage in the buildup. There will be a new studio show hosted by Robin Miller. All in all, there will be 140 hours of IndyCar coverage on Versus in 2011.

DanicaFan
21st March 2011, 22:27
Also glad Lindy isnt a part of it either. She was terrible!

DBell
21st March 2011, 22:43
Also glad Lindy isnt a part of it either. She was terrible!

from Speed:
Mike Wells, a multi-Emmy Award winner (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2011-broadcast-team-set/#) for NBC’s and Tuner Sports’ coverage of NASCAR, is VERSUS’ new director for all its IZOD IndyCar Series coverage. Veteran motorsports reporter Marty Snider joins Lindy Thackston (who returns for her third season) and Kevin Lee (pit reporter for VERSUS’ Firestone Indy Lights coverage and an IMS Radio Network reporter since 2004) as pit reporters. SPEED correspondent Robin Miller will join the network's pre-race show and will be an in-race reporter for select telecasts

Sorry Dfan, she's back, according to the report.

slorydn1
21st March 2011, 23:02
Ill bet Lindy is better as a pit reporter than a certain someone is as a driver....Just Sayin' :p

DanicaFan
21st March 2011, 23:13
Sorry, Lindy is horrible, that is bad news to me. She shows no enthusiasm or knowledge of the sport plus she sounds like she is reading off of cue cards and showing no emotion. A waste of a spot for a good reporter who knows racing and really enjoys it.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st March 2011, 23:37
There must be a girl pit reporter and Lindy's miles ahead of Brienne Pedigo or Michelle Beisner. Too bad Jamie Little is unavailable.

slorydn1
21st March 2011, 23:50
Sorry, (....) is horrible, that is bad news to me. She shows no enthusiasm or knowledge of the sport plus she sounds like she is reading off of cue cards and showing no emotion. A waste of a spot for a good (.....) who knows racing and really enjoys it.

I deleted just 2 words from your post above and it all sounds so familiar! :p

Sorry Danicafan I couldn't resist. I actually agree with you here, but the 3 entities broadcasting Nascar have taken all the good female reporters and in this day and age you must have at least one (demographics and all that). I agree with Dr Krogshoj, that Jamie Little would be excellent. But until she or someone like her becomes available then it looks like we are stuck with Lindy.

Leo Krupe
22nd March 2011, 01:19
I'm just glad Arute's gone.

nigelred5
22nd March 2011, 02:24
What he said. So we're already seeing the NBC sports influence. certainly beats the hell out of repeating the status quo. I fully expect Comcast to push the ESPN presence out of the broadcast package as soon as they can now that they have an ota broadcast network of their own .

Will Rogers
22nd March 2011, 17:22
How can the networks keep ignoring or avoiding using Jon Beekhuis? He's been the best thing about open wheel racing on TV since he was doing Champ Car broadcasts (with perhaps a bit of an allowance for David Hobbes...)

Danica Fan disses Lindy Thackston? That's just so droll, you couldn't make it up. Lindy is in the great tradition of Hannah Storm, Kelly Tilghman (lead announcer for the Golf Channel, for those of you who haven't had the video chloroform over there...) and every other really lame "soft features" reporter ever foisted on the viewing public for reasons other than the quality of their work.

FIAT1
22nd March 2011, 20:59
Good news and more good news now that Arute is gone.

garyshell
22nd March 2011, 21:24
How can the networks keep ignoring or avoiding using Jon Beekhuis? He's been the best thing about open wheel racing on TV since he was doing Champ Car broadcasts (with perhaps a bit of an allowance for David Hobbes...)

Danica Fan disses Lindy Thackston? That's just so droll, you couldn't make it up. Lindy is in the great tradition of Hannah Storm, Kelly Tilghman (lead announcer for the Golf Channel, for those of you who haven't had the video chloroform over there...) and every other really lame "soft features" reporter ever foisted on the viewing public for reasons other than the quality of their work.

According to this:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2011-broadcast-team-set/

Dallenbach, the son of a longtime open-wheel racer and CART chief steward, is among the additions to VERSUS’ extensive broadcast lineup of the IZOD IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights for 2011. He’ll join Bob Jenkins and Jon Beekhuis in the booth

Jon is in the booth.

Gary

DanicaFan
22nd March 2011, 23:37

Wrong, Hannah Storm knows what she is talking about and shows true enthusiasm. I like Hannah. Lindy doesnt have a clue about auto racing other than what's on the cards or teleprompter in front of her that she reads off of plus she is dry and shows no enthusiasm. She is horrible, plain and simple!

nigelred5
23rd March 2011, 00:04
Glad to see Jon is part of the team, I just worry that may be creating another snoozefest. Jon is awesome with his technical knowledge but will he and Wally be able to keep it informative AND engaging? There was certainly nowhere to go but up! lets hops the guys and gals in the fire suits give them plenty of action to talk about.

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd March 2011, 13:29
Jack Arute hase never been part of the Versus broadcast team. Jack is with ABC/ESPN and will continue to be part of the ABC/ESPN coverage.

beachbum
23rd March 2011, 15:01
Lindy doesnt have a clue about auto racing other than what's on the cards or teleprompter in front of her that she reads off of plus she is dry and shows no enthusiasm. She is horrible, plain and simple!Gee, such vitriol. Did Lindy diss you favorite driver somewhere along the line?

I don't think Lindy is any worse that most of the other "color" announcers. I actually think she shows a lot of enthusiasm and interest in Indy Cars. But most announcers are limited by what the director wants and what is put in front of them. Some obviously have been told to throw softballs at some drivers in interviews and are more cheerleaders than reporters, but overall I think all of the announcers in major series do a good job, with a few exceptions in NASCAR.

DBell
23rd March 2011, 17:05
Jack Arute hase never been part of the Versus broadcast team. Jack is with ABC/ESPN and will continue to be part of the ABC/ESPN coverage.

Then why was Arute on Versus if he wasn't a part of their broadcast team? I thought Jack left ABC/ESPN after 2009. I only saw about half the races last year, but I don't recall seeing Jack on the ABC races.

edit: I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that said he was a part of the ABC/ESPN races. wikipedia did have this:

In 2009, Arute joined the Versus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_(TV_channel)) on-air crew for the 2009 IndyCar season, serving on both the Versus and ABC telecasts. In August 2009, The Indianapolis Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Indianapolis_Star) reporter Curt Cavin said that Arute will be leaving ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN) at the end of 2009 in favor of Versus full-time. He was fired from Versus due to cost cutting moves after the Merger with NBCUniversal he will be replaced by Kevin Lee who is also a pit reporter for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Network.

I know wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but this seems acurate to me.

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd March 2011, 17:26
I stand corrected. My apologies. I'll check my facts before I post. OOPS

Mr. Mister
23rd March 2011, 19:01
Wally Dallenbach, Jon Beekhuis, Lindy Thackston, and Kevin Lee all do their jobs very well.

Marty Snider annoys me, but for a generic "tires and fuel" report, I don't really mind.

Bob Jenkins, as much as I respect him, ought to retire. He's nowhere close to where he was in his prime and a sport that's trying to be as edgy and target young people as INDYCAR is could use a little more energy in the booth (not excessively so, but someone with a pulse will do, and perhaps being able to get a sentence out without stopping in the middle to remember where he wanted to go with that sentence would help).

Robin Miller will quickly become INDYCAR's Darrell Waltrip/Jeff Hammond. I expect him to just get annoying.

Overall, though, I'm pleased with the team. There's enough talent to make it work, and new producers will help.

garyshell
23rd March 2011, 20:43
I am anxious to see what Robin does in this sort of role. It's not the way we usually see him.

Gary

anthonyvop
24th March 2011, 02:36
Robin Miller will quickly become INDYCAR's Darrell Waltrip/Jeff Hammond. I expect him to just get annoying.

Expect???

I have a bet with some friends about how soon will he rip off somebody else work and claim it as his own. I Picked St.Pete.