PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Australian Grand Prix Thread

steveaki13
21st March 2011, 17:33
I know its a little early but after a two week extended break I am impatient to get going.

At least we now have a proper opening Grand Prix weekend at a proper Venue.

With only a couple of days until the F1 circus begins again, I thought it time to open the Oz GP thread for all thing Round 1.

So Ladies and Gentleman lets start the engines as F1 2011 is here.

steveaki13
21st March 2011, 17:35
A bit overkill on my intro, but I am excited as I'm sure you all are, and can't wait for the first wheel turn.

AndyL
21st March 2011, 18:31
Yes can't wait :)

For UK/Europe fans who are planning to get up to watch the race live on Sunday morning - don't forget the clocks go forward an hour this weekend. If you get up to watch the race at 7am GMT, the Red Bulls will already be a lap ahead! (Possibly.)

Dave B
21st March 2011, 18:49
Planning to get up not just Sunday but also at stupid o'clock for practice on Friday and Saturday! :D

SGWilko
21st March 2011, 19:24
Planning to get up not just Sunday but also at stupid o'clock for practice on Friday and Saturday! :D

+1 :D

onthelimiter
21st March 2011, 20:35
its one of the few races where its on at a normal time in malaysia :-D it feels weird watching a race with a pint in ur had in a bar lol.

Sonic
21st March 2011, 20:43
Best time of year to be an F1 fan :)

The long winter's nearly over and the expectation for the season ahead is ramping up.

Let's go racin' peeps

gloomyDAY
21st March 2011, 21:55
I love the Melbourne track and it proves that you don't need a multi-billion dollar monstrosity to provide great racing. There isn't any sand to worry fret over, most Aussies are crazy but not in the middle of a political revolution, and lastly the layout of the track won't make me fall asleep within 15 minutes of watching the race.

Excited? That's an understatement. Let's roll, baby. Let's roll!

steveaki13
21st March 2011, 22:58
I'd like to get up and watch all sessions in the early hours.

But I work in a physical job and a night without sleep then a hard days work is not on, but I will watch FP3 and Quali, then obviously the race.

Ari
21st March 2011, 23:13
Absolutely cannot wait. This off season has been so loooong!

I fly out of Brisbane headed for Melbourne early Thursday morning! :D

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2011, 04:45
Absolutely cannot wait. This off season has been so loooong!

I fly out of Brisbane headed for Melbourne early Thursday morning! :D

You do realise that Essendon plays Footscray the same afternoon, don't you! I don't know what to do :confused: I guess I'll go to the footy and record the race just in case I get home late.

truefan72
22nd March 2011, 05:31
I know its a little early but after a two week extended break I am impatient to get going.

At least we now have a proper opening Grand Prix weekend at a proper Venue.

With only a couple of days until the F1 circus begins again, I thought it time to open the Oz GP thread for all thing Round 1.

So Ladies and Gentleman lets start the engines as F1 2011 is here.

Bahrain is a proper Grand Prix at a proper venue
Why slight them?

anyway, yes its good to get the season going

Ari
22nd March 2011, 05:43
I do realise indeed!

I am going to the footy which is from 1pm to 4pm and then jumping on a tram straight to the track for the race which starts at 5pm. GP express trams leave from outside Etihad Stadium, I figure it's only a 10 minute trip.... I should be at the track no later than 4.30. I have Grand Stand seating corner 1 so no need to worry about getting a good spot as I've an allocated seat.

All sorted Valve! ;)

pino
22nd March 2011, 06:59
I agree, again the winter break has been too long :s nore: so I am very exciting and cannot wait for the season to start :bounce: Btw how can you guys prefere to watch footy insted of ? :crazy: :p :

Ari
22nd March 2011, 07:04
I agree, again the winter break has been too long :s nore: so I am very exciting and cannot wait for the season to start :bounce: Btw how can you guys prefere to watch footy insted of ?

No no, I'm going to make it to both! :p As for the support races, meh, I'll have had three days of it by then! I'll head to the track for the morning pit walk and then to the footy and back to the track. ;)

gloomyDAY
22nd March 2011, 07:35
Bahrain is a proper Grand Prix at a proper venue
Why slight them?

anyway, yes its good to get the season goingAre you serious? I was going to miss the first GP just because it was at Bahrain. I was just going to wake up on Monday morning and get the results, but now we actually get to see a good race at an excellent venue.

RS
22nd March 2011, 09:50
I love the Melbourne track and it proves that you don't need a multi-billion dollar monstrosity to provide great racing. There isn't any sand to worry fret over, most Aussies are crazy but not in the middle of a political revolution, and lastly the layout of the track won't make me fall asleep within 15 minutes of watching the race.

:up:

It should be written into the next Concorde agreement that the F1 season must neither start nor end at a Tilkedrome.

GridGirl
22nd March 2011, 10:52
We're going to the Lake District for a long weekend tomorrow night. I haven't decided whether we will be getting up for qualifying and practice yet. The decision is made much harder as although we will be taking our sky box it wont record if we're not at home. As much as a I love f1 I still think I would rather be half way up a mountain rather than watching a re-run at a decent hour.

driveace
22nd March 2011, 11:41
I will be up for saterday Quali,and also sunday for the race,then satalite dish down,all packed and on the road,and out of Spain,by lunchtime into France on the wayback to UK after wintering in Spain for last 3 months.Daughter in Brisbane (know its probably 1000 miles north of Melbourne) says they have had rain,rain and more rain,this last week.So could be interesting if they have rain too,its a great leveller !

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2011, 12:03
I agree, again the winter break has been too long :s nore: so I am very exciting and cannot wait for the season to start :bounce: Btw how can you guys prefere to watch footy insted of ? :crazy: :p :

As Ari said - the trip by tram is veryconvenient - probably only 15 minutes. So he will have the best of both worlds. And the tram is free for anyone with a Grand Prix ticket.

Sleeper
22nd March 2011, 12:04
Will be getting up for qualy and the race, I'll probably catch FP1 & 2 on the iPlayer.

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2011, 12:08
I will be up for saterday Quali,and also sunday for the race,then satalite dish down,all packed and on the road,and out of Spain,by lunchtime into France on the wayback to UK after wintering in Spain for last 3 months.Daughter in Brisbane (know its probably 1000 miles north of Melbourne) says they have had rain,rain and more rain,this last week.So could be interesting if they have rain too,its a great leveller !

Again! don't rely on the weather forcast herre. We were supposed to have a lot of rain today in Melbourne, but not one drop fell. But for those who wish to check the weather radar for themselves, here's the link: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/radar/
the just click on Melbourne on the map.

pino
22nd March 2011, 12:25
As Ari said - the trip by tram is veryconvenient - probably only 15 minutes. So he will have the best of both worlds. And the tram is free for anyone with a Grand Prix ticket.

He will watch both...how about you ? ;)

DazzlaF1
22nd March 2011, 15:43
I'll be out onFriday so i'll have to catch up on FP 1&2 (god bless the BBC iPlayer), I'll definitely get up for qualifying and the race though.

Haven't been so excited for a new F1 season to start for a long time

F1boat
22nd March 2011, 16:52
I am not excited for this season as I was at the beginning of 2009 and 2010, mainly because I expect a total RBR domination. But because it's Melbourne and rain is expected, I'll watch the race and hopefully it will be an interesting GP.

bblocker68
22nd March 2011, 17:04
I'll be watching practice at 10:30pm PST here on Thursday night in Cali. I cant F******* wait. WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tazio
22nd March 2011, 18:24
:s ailor: W-i-n-n-i-n-g :dozey:

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2011, 23:58
He will watch both...how about you ? ;)

pino, as much as I love F1, I can't afford to go this year. I've just had a great ski holiday at Niseko - lotsa powder. :) Am already saving up for next year.

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2011, 00:00
I am not excited for this season as I was at the beginning of 2009 and 2010, mainly because I expect a total RBR domination. But because it's Melbourne and rain is expected, I'll watch the race and hopefully it will be an interesting GP.

Well, it rained down at Wilson's Promontary and caused landslides and evacuations. But we had NO rain here in Melbourne. Best you keep a tab on the weather link I provided above if you want to see what the weather will be like, but if it did rain, the race will be very exciting.

steveaki13
23rd March 2011, 22:26
Looking at the weather forecast it seems there will be a lot of cloud around but should be dry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5009

555-04Q2
24th March 2011, 09:27
Just a few days to go. Can't believe how fast the last 4 months have flown by. Bring on the 2011 season !!!

Mark
24th March 2011, 09:43
Just a few days to go. Can't believe how fast the last 4 months have flown by. Bring on the 2011 season !!!

Really? The last race of 2010 seems years away already!

AndyL
24th March 2011, 11:37

I agree, it feels to me like we've been waiting for ever!

Tazio
24th March 2011, 13:01
+1
I've spent way too much time in Chit Chat. At least the self righteous F1 fan boy is in his element, and maybe, although I doubt It. The subject matter changes from BS to put up or shut up! :s mokin:

Retro Formula 1
24th March 2011, 14:43
+1
I've spent way too much time in Chit Chat. At least the self righteous F1 fan boy is in his element, and maybe, although I doubt It. The subject matter changes from BS to put up or shut up! :s mokin:

Amen. Lets let the racing do the talking.

pino
24th March 2011, 16:11
Amen. Lets let the racing do the talking.

...and leave the rubbish in Chit Chat :p : ;)

Dave B
24th March 2011, 17:04
I've just set the alarm (on my phone ;) :p ) for 1:20am. I don't know whether to be excited or depressed!

SGWilko
24th March 2011, 17:06
I've just set the alarm (on my phone ;) :p ) for 1:20am. I don't know whether to be excited or depressed!

Be Expressed....???? :p

AndyL
24th March 2011, 17:59
I can't watch both P1 and P2 - I need some sleep! So, should I stay up until 3 for P1, or get up at 5:30 for P2?

Alfa Fan
25th March 2011, 01:31
LMAO what a start!

Alfa Fan
25th March 2011, 01:32
Karun smashed up Jarno's Lotus 3 corners in.

Dave B
25th March 2011, 01:41
Karun you muppet!

N4D13
25th March 2011, 02:10
It appears that Massa has just been trying rallycross instead of Formula One. He drove into the gravel, and you could say he was lucky not to drive into the barriers or being unable to drive off the gravel.

RS
25th March 2011, 02:41
Are HRT's dampers still in customs?

Dave B
25th March 2011, 02:51
Some of the used Pirellis are completely shot after only a few laps! Seb's front left was down to canvas.

RS
25th March 2011, 02:54
I know it's early days but I'm worried whether Virgin can make 107% this weekend.

truefan72
25th March 2011, 03:20
its a stupid rule imo

teams spend too much money to travel an logistics for them not to race

Tazio
25th March 2011, 05:22
:s ailor:

555-04Q2
25th March 2011, 05:45

Not for me. I've been so busy the last few months it has flown by :)

Valve Bounce
25th March 2011, 08:07
Don't read too much into P2's final times because some rain fell just as Red Bull were going to make a charge towards the end of the session. Well!! it is Melbourne!

Dave B
25th March 2011, 09:03
I know it's early days but I'm worried whether Virgin can make 107% this weekend.

3/10ths outside in practice. Still infinitely better than Hispania!

Zico
25th March 2011, 09:07
From testing times, whats the general concensus on the 2011 cars compared to 2010... Im just trying to work out where McLaren might be in terms of pace compared to the rest.

Dave B
25th March 2011, 09:15
Difficult to tell but RBR look good, McL and Fer just behind and Merc and Will showing promise. But it'll be as much who can look after tyres as who has raw pace.

DexDexter
25th March 2011, 09:36
Karun smashed up Jarno's Lotus 3 corners in.

I don't get it, Lotus seem like a serious team and then they undermine themselves with all sorts of reserve drivers.

Virgin is so out of it, maybe they'll finally start to realise that you cannot design a proper F1 without a wind tunnel. Everybody told them so....

Zico
25th March 2011, 09:42
Yep, I think you are right, within a percentage range outright pace will only count for qualy with the car/driver ability to pace themselves and conserve tyres proving to be the most important factor. Within McLaren, If thats the case In theory Jenson should have an advantage over Lewis.. well more so than last season.

Cant wait..

Mark
25th March 2011, 09:51
Yep, it should be interesting as the fastest driver over a single lap won't be the one that wins, even more so than last year.

Of course it will mean lots and lots of whinging about tyres!

Sonic
25th March 2011, 09:57
F1 2011 is GOoooooOOOooooOOOOooooOOOoooo!

Garry Walker
25th March 2011, 14:16
its a stupid rule imo

teams spend too much money to travel an logistics for them not to race

We could make it all easier and not have idiot teams like Virgin and especially HRT in f1. I wouldnt miss them at all, it is a joke that a team such as HRT is in f1.

jens
25th March 2011, 16:19
McLaren looks much-improved. In Pirelli's case it has already been explained with circuit characteristics. Perhaps the same applies to McLaren as Albert Park is a lot less aero dependant than Barcelona, where the testing took place. Only the rest of the season can give us an answer.

Early guess, but... also looks like Sauber could become a challenger for P5 in the WCC (if we expect last year's Top4 stay in front). But it wouldn't really be surprising as now they have finally the finances, they have adapted to the Ferrari engines (second year of using) and highly-rated James Key has had a year to design a proper race car.

Mark
25th March 2011, 19:29
Let's hope McLaren are thereabouts so it can be a proper three way battle.

Sleeper
25th March 2011, 19:54
Button doing 20-30 laps on the Pirelli hards, looks like the rubbish about it being a 4 stop race is over.

RS
25th March 2011, 19:56
We could make it all easier and not have idiot teams like Virgin and especially HRT in f1. I wouldnt miss them at all, it is a joke that a team such as HRT is in f1.

Every team has to start somewhere and someone has to be at the back. I don't see a problem with them, what harm are they doing?

Sleeper
25th March 2011, 20:02
Virgin? None. HRT are just plain disgraceful.

Sonic
25th March 2011, 21:21
In what regard? They are clearly tail end Charlie again, but if they don't make 107% they're out. I don't see the disgrace.

BDunnell
25th March 2011, 21:25
In what regard? They are clearly tail end Charlie again, but if they don't make 107% they're out. I don't see the disgrace.

I agree. They may not belong in F1, but the rules exist whereby they won't take part if they are too slow.

steveaki13
25th March 2011, 23:35
Has Karun got the award for earliest crash in an F1 season ever? 3 corners and 20 odd seconds into the 1st practice of the 1st race.

steveaki13
25th March 2011, 23:37
Also it appears the new teams from 2010 have not made any real step forward. I know its early but Team Lotus still seem a second + off the pace, Virgin seem further back and on the limit of 107% rule. As for Hispania well they are never going to race this weekend surely over 107%.

steveaki13
25th March 2011, 23:39
One point about 107% rule.

Remember back to when it was last in occasionally slow drivers were aloud into the first race albeit off the pace.

I seem to remember Yoong and Marques getting their first DNQ overturned and then after that it was inforced.

I think if Virgin slip out side of it tomorrow then they may be given a reprive, however Hispania can't expect that after not really turning a wheel in 3 hours of practice.

Lets wait and see

Somebody
25th March 2011, 23:56
The exceptions clause is only meant to be for situations like McLaren in Malaysia or Alonso in Monaco last year though (i.e., cars clearly fast enough which don't make it through because of things like horribly mistiming a run in a wet/dry session or breaking their cars in practice so badly they can't run properly in Q1).

Valve Bounce
26th March 2011, 01:21
I estimate temperature will be a cool 18 degrees during quals, but there is a possibility of a slight shower which will certainly spice things up. Forcast is for a fine day for the race tomorrow.

Alfa Fan
26th March 2011, 03:03
HRT surely don't have a chance of qualifying today?

Still seem to be building the cars.

RS
26th March 2011, 03:15
Also it appears the new teams from 2010 have not made any real step forward. I know its early but Team Lotus still seem a second + off the pace, Virgin seem further back and on the limit of 107% rule. As for Hispania well they are never going to race this weekend surely over 107%.

Particularly surprised about Lotus given that they have bought their entire rear end off the championship winning team.

RS
26th March 2011, 03:25
Maldonado off. Williams new pay driver hasn't been that impressive this weekend.

pettersolberg29
26th March 2011, 04:02
Looking at the lap times on formula1.com, Heidfeld seems to be struggling massively. He is slower than Petrov in every sector, and 1s slower overall, while after his first lap he loses about 1s for the second and third lap. I know its only Practise and I may be biased towards Nick, but surely he isn't struggling that much compared to Petrov?

Dave B
26th March 2011, 04:09
HRT surely don't have a chance of qualifying today?

Still seem to be building the cars.

NK 17 seconds off the pace when he finally got a timed lap in. That's insane for a year-old team.

Kevincal
26th March 2011, 04:57
well the car was designed with surely both robert and vitaly's input right? so nick deserves some slack for jumping into a foreign car at the last second plus all that really matters in the end is race results and nick is way more experienced and consistent than vitaly and all around quicker too. i would say robert is slightly better overall than nick though and being this is vitaly's 2nd season he should fare better against nick than he did robert... i really wonder what bruno could do in this car though... would be interesting.

Ari
26th March 2011, 05:05
Reasonably cool at the track. There are heavy clouds above us but they're saying quail will be dry. Knowing Melbourne, it would not surprise me if it's a mixed wet dry session.

Webber seems about two tenths slower than deb.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 05:37
Every team has to start somewhere and someone has to be at the back. I don't see a problem with them, what harm are they doing?

my thoughts exactly :up:

that is why I don't mind HRT there either and it seems like there is an agreement in place to let teams drive this sunday even if they are outside of the 107%
I like more teams in F1 not less. It is hard enough watching motogp with 17 bikes and I don't want to ever see a sunday grid with less than 24 cars

F1boat
26th March 2011, 06:01
What I expected - enormous advantage to RBR. This season may be similar to 1992.

AndyL
26th March 2011, 06:30
Is anyone else having problems with the formula1.com live timing?

truefan72
26th March 2011, 06:48
I am,
its pathetic

as usual Live timing fails again
even the one on my android app is stuck at 8 minutes in Q1

I am very disappointed

F1boat
26th March 2011, 07:02
Well done for RBR, WTF for MW and awesome for Lewis.

Dave B
26th March 2011, 07:06
Is anyone else having problems with the formula1.com live timing?

Failed on pc and Android. BBC driver tracker working though.

Dave B
26th March 2011, 07:08
Vettel just *looks* like a proper champion now, doesn't he? Phenomenal.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 07:08
great Qualy,

so happy for Mclaren. Hamilton as usual getting the most out of the car, Button good job.
congrats Vettel, just a stupendous time
Petrov doing about as good a job as Kubica would all things considered, so he is gets two thumbs up
Good Job Buemi and Kobayashi

Can't wait for the race tomorrow

AndyL
26th March 2011, 07:09
Were Lotus the only team to have their two cars within a tenth of a second of each other there? Most teams seem to have had half a second or even more between teammates. I guess a lot of people have not got a handle on how to make these Pirellis work yet.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 07:09
Christian Horner, already slighting Webber in the BBc interview

" I don't understand the difference in time between Vettel and Webber. There is nothing in the date to indicate a problem"

just sad

CNR
26th March 2011, 07:10
107% would= about 1:29

truefan72
26th March 2011, 07:11
and it turns out that Hamilton did not have kers in his fast lap, so his time could have been better
Good for him :)

Koz
26th March 2011, 07:13
Can someone confirm if Vettel used kers on his last lap?
IIRC, his KERS bar was full...

F1boat
26th March 2011, 07:13
and it turns out that Hamilton did not have kers in his fast lap, so his time could have been better

Not his biggest fan, but I keep my fingers crossed for him and McLaren-Mercedes, I hope that they can narrow the gap to Vettel and RBR.

CNR
26th March 2011, 07:15

same for vettel

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 07:29
Vettel just *looks* like a proper champion now, doesn't he? Phenomenal.Vettel is acting like the champion that he is and showing that he's matured enough to aptly defend his title. I'm excited for tomorrow, but won't be able to see the race. I hope Vettel does well and actually finishes for a change. *knock on wood*

" I don't understand the difference in time between Vettel and Webber. There is nothing in the date to indicate a problem"

just sadThe truth can hurt.

DexDexter
26th March 2011, 07:33

just sad

Nothing sad about it. The difference is unacceptable no matter how you look at it. Webber just performed badly since we know that normally he is not that slow compared to Vettel.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 07:33
Vettel is acting like the champion that he is and showing that he's matured enough to aptly defend his title. I'm excited for tomorrow, but won't be able to see the race. I hope Vettel does well and actually finishes for a change. *knock on wood*

The truth can hurt.

I know,

but you didn't hear Whitmarsh talking about not understanding why Button was so slow in comparison to Hamilton given that LH had no kers. Instead "publicly" he chose to praise both drivers, look at the positive and express optimism about the race tomorrow. What he says privately could be different, but at least he doesn't slight his driver on BBC

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 07:37
I know,

but you didn't hear Whitmarsh talking about not understanding why Button was so slow in comparison to Hamilton given that LH had no kers. Instead "publicly" he chose to praise both drivers, look at the positive and express optimism about the race tomorrow. What he says privately could be different, but at least he doesn't slight his driver on BBCFair point. Maybe this is just one a of a few gremlins that Webber will have to deal with in the Red Bull garage. The bandwagon to get rid of Webber might get a little full by the end of the season.

DexDexter
26th March 2011, 07:39
I know,

but you didn't hear Whitmarsh talking about not understanding why Button was so slow in comparison to Hamilton given that LH had no kers. Instead "publicly" he chose to praise both drivers, look at the positive and express optimism about the race tomorrow. What he says privately could be different, but at least he doesn't slight his driver on BBC

The difference is Webber is usually closer than that to Vettel while Button is Button, people expect Hamilton to be quicker in qualifying and Mclaren know that as well. I like Horner, he says what he thinks and doesn't hide behind some corporate Ronspeak.

F1boat
26th March 2011, 07:48
I know,

Martin is great. I hope that McLaren wins the championship, Whitmarsh deserves it. Very classy team boss.

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 07:53
Martin is great. I hope that McLaren wins the championship, Whitmarsh deserves it. Very classy team boss.Okay, stop right there! Who are you and what have you done with the Mr. Boat? :p

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2011, 08:01
Well well well, lots of different things to talk about after that quali session.

Hispania are now officially Pathetic in my eyes, and no need to say anymore about them.

Among others Lotus dissapointed but to be fair Heikki apparently had a wing problem whilst both struggled with getting heat into their tyres. Here's hoping for a marked improvement tomorrow though they've got a large gap to reduce.

Mclaren have been the real surprise so far, I don't think anyone could have predicted a front row start for them last week, congratulations to them.

Here's hoping (and expecting) a great race tommorrow.

F1boat
26th March 2011, 08:03
Okay, stop right there! Who are you and what have you done with the Mr. Boat? :p

Hah, I still dislike Ron and I think that he handles 2007 season badly, relax :D

jens
26th March 2011, 08:11
As much as I have followed winter tests throughout years, I have never seen such a turnaround in competitiveness for the first race as McLaren has managed. Incredible.

Looks like Red Bull has at least the same qualifying advantage again like in 2010. Wonder, if unlike last year they can actually run away with the championship instead of suffering lots of troubles.

Generally pecking order similar to last year's. Despite pre-season hype Mercedes is still in positions familiar from 2010. Williams is unclear due to Barrichello's mistake.

Lotus makes me want to cry. Terrible, terrible. How is this possible? Now full year to design the car, new rear end and engine and they are actually worse? Trulli will leave this project. Virgin and HRT also. Last year looking at the new teams you could think that okay, they are slow, but it can't get any worse, it's their first year after all. But it can get worse! At least last year was sort of a new experience to see really slow teams on the grid, but now it's not even interesting any more.

F1boat
26th March 2011, 08:33
Actually the only hope for the season is for McLaren to continue improving rapidly. Or else, RBR will win very easily and obviously Mark won't bother Vettel anymore. But maybe we have to wait and see the race - racewise the cars again might be closer.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2011, 08:50
Actually the only hope for the season is for McLaren to continue improving rapidly. Or else, RBR will win very easily and obviously Mark won't bother Vettel anymore. But maybe we have to wait and see the race - racewise the cars again might be closer.

I think with the tyres added to the usual unpredictabilities, I wouldn't call it a Red Bull white wash just yet. Some teams may be stronger over races, softer on their tyres etc etc. There are alot of variables, more than ever before perhaps and we will have to see how things play out over the first few races.

It seems certain that Red Bull once again have the best pace in qualifying, but the races look to be a very unpredictable story in 2011 :)

truefan72
26th March 2011, 09:02

that is what I am hoping, seems to me the macs can long run on their tires so we shall see.
The great unknown is the balance with a full tank of gas and used softs.
The team that can stay out longest on their tires with decent lap times have the biggest advantage
Hopefully we will have an exciting race.
All I ask for is a clean start

btw are the restart rules and spare car rules the same this year?

Sonic
26th March 2011, 09:37
Great Q! Vettel looks outstanding, Hamilton's wringing the 26's neck, Petrov, Kobay and Buemi doing great jobs. Chuck in some big moments, some big names doing poorly (Massa, Schu, Nick) and cars that look like real handfulls we are going to be in for one he'll of a spectacle tomorrow! Roll on silly o'clock tomorrow morning :D

steveaki13
26th March 2011, 09:54
When will they announce if Hispania get a reprive for the race tomorrow?

Do we have 22, 23 or 24 cars.

I know it should be 22, but on first race weekend they may let one or both Hispania's in.

CNR
26th March 2011, 10:28
vettel did 1:23.529
83.529 sec
83.529 / 100 * 107% =89.376

all cars over 1:29.376 are out side the 107 %
Timo Glock
Jerome d'Ambrosio
Vitantonio Liuzzi
Narain Karthikeyan

Lotus-Renault just in 1:29.254 and 1:29.342

BDunnell
26th March 2011, 10:50
Surely di Resta's performance deserves a mention. Outqualifying his team-mate at the first race is a good start to an F1 career.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2011, 10:53
I second the above.

On another note, Hispania are officially not allowed to race in Melbourne now. Probably best IMO.

DexDexter
26th March 2011, 10:54
Surely di Resta's performance deserves a mention. Outqualifying his team-mate at the first race is a good start to an F1 career.

Sutil spun on his fastest lap and seemed quicker than the Scot in q2 but nevertheless a good performance.

baker
26th March 2011, 11:13
Another performance worth a mention is Petrov in P6, behind only both Red Bulls, McLarens and Alonso. Great performance. But what happened to Nick Heidfeld? Eliminated in Q1. Oh dear!

Robinho
26th March 2011, 11:13
vettel did 1:23.529
83.529 sec
83.529 / 100 * 107% =89.376

all cars over 1:29.376 are out side the 107 %
Timo Glock
Jerome d'Ambrosio
Vitantonio Liuzzi
Narain Karthikeyan

Lotus-Renault just in 1:29.254 and 1:29.342

The 107% rule is calculated in the same session, so only refers to Q1, not the times from Q2 or Q3. This will benefit the lower teams when the fastest time is set by a quick car on harder tyres and therefore not at optimal performance. as a result both Virgins were inside the 107%

CNR
26th March 2011, 11:16
http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/Motorsport/article988609.ece/Hispania-denied-exemption-to-compete-in-Australia-GP

Hispania denied exemption to compete in Australia GP

Formula One minnows Hispania had an exemption request turned down by race stewards which will keep their drivers Vitantonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan out of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Mia 01
26th March 2011, 11:38
You did very well Seb!

How many laps will Lews tires last in th first stint tomorrow?

Somebody
26th March 2011, 11:46
But what happened to Nick Heidfeld? Eliminated in Q1. Oh dear!
Car developed around Kubica. Remember what happened LAST time he drove a car developed around Kubica? (BMW spent a big chunk of development time trying to make it work for him and blew Kubica's championship chances in the process)

markabilly
26th March 2011, 13:04
I know,

Fair point. Maybe this is just one a of a few gremlins that Webber will have to deal with in the Red Bull garage. The bandwagon to get rid of Webber might get a little full by the end of the season.

No, I think an excellent point.

Clearly the car set up favors vettel over webber.

Saw that at the end of the season last year.

Team mate comparisons are becoming more and more meaningless....except for seeing which driver is favored by the team

markabilly
26th March 2011, 13:07

Good excuse for many, you mean??

Thus sayeth Ms: Wir hatten in der zweiten Teilsession kein KERS für den ersten Versuch. Beim zweiten Anlauf stand uns das System wieder zur Verfügung

wedge
26th March 2011, 14:15
Holy s**t! What a lap for Seb to grab pole.

Vettel: "We do our thing" - Cosa Nostra - Don Vettel

markabilly
26th March 2011, 14:45
well rumor now has it that red bull was a stomping without kers......appearantly reserving it for start only purposes to save weight from lack of batteries and recharger or some such.

I do not really understand what is involved exactly, but to do the stomping without Kers??

markabilly
26th March 2011, 14:47
And yeah, I know it will be a shock to many around here, but I do feel for webber, as i think he will be getting the short end of the stick this season. So since I have a habit for rooting for underdogs and since Scotnot Speed will probably not make the grid this year.......guess I will have to find somebody.

Vettel will be the wdc and it will not be close.

Sad thing is that Renault built a winner for this season, but the driver they built it for, he will not be in it. :(
If he were, I think he might be the only driver to give Seb a run for his money. :D

Lewis might, but mac will have to do major catch up. He barely beat Webber using KERs to best advantage and it was not enough to top Seb.

Of course if those red bull wings go too flapping too much and.............. :(

SGWilko
26th March 2011, 15:46
Red Bull have a non harvestable KERS system, i.e. it is charged pre-race, and deployed once at the start. It is smaller and lighter and offers significant packaging/weight distribution agvantages.

Full KERS is worth 'about' 0.4secs. So in real terms, McLaren at best only 4 tenths behind. If they can develop the car - and remember this is not an evolutionery car, rather a blank canvass - I reckon they have a lot of untapped potential, so Red Bull could be sitting ducks in a few races time.

We need to learn how kind the car/driver combinations are on the tyres.

Red Bull will throw Mark to the dogs this year, no doubt about it. But I don't see it as a guaranteed RB championship.

It may well turn out that Ferrari can run 35 laps on a set of wafer thin Pirelli's and will win tomorrow.

Lewis may eat his tyres for breakfast lunch and dinner....

Who knows, shold be a good race. McLaren and Ferrari are the ones with the most to gain with KERS having previously been winners with such a system.

If only McLaren can sort their octopus exhaust out, maybe they will become the team to beat this year.

Whatever - it's gonna b a god race for a multitude of reasons. Koby looks to have a half decent shot at regular points this year, and Petrov seems to have been boosted by the Kube's absence. I don't think the Renault is as good as it is hyped to be though.

Tyres though, when cold, have as much grip as polished granite on an ice rink.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 16:37
http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/Motorsport/article988609.ece/Hispania-denied-exemption-to-compete-in-Australia-GP

Hispania denied exemption to compete in Australia GP

Formula One minnows Hispania had an exemption request turned down by race stewards which will keep their drivers Vitantonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan out of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

so how are they supposed to get better. If there was any race where they could be allowed to run it would be the first race of the season. This would have helped them immensely and probably made sure that they would be vastly improved by Sepang. To me what's the point of showing up for race weekends with all the expense if you can't race on sundays. These days are different. With the amount of commercial interests and money teams have to pay to get into F1 they then should be allowed to race regardless. Also, I don;t want to hear about any special exceptions then for anyone who doesn't make the 107% rule.
just a shame, by the end of Q1 they were actually doing decent times. And I don;t care what people think about them being backmarkers and holding up the leaders, that is a nonsense excuse IMO and them not being on the grid is not good for the show.

N4D13
26th March 2011, 16:47
so how are they supposed to get better. If there was any race where they could be allowed to run it would be the first race of the season. This would have helped them immensely and probably made sure that they would be vastly improved by Sepang. To me what's the point of showing up for race weekends with all the expense if you can't race on sundays. These days are different. With the amount of commercial interests and money teams have to pay to get into F1 they then should be allowed to race regardless. Also, I don;t want to hear about any special exceptions then for anyone who doesn't make the 107% rule.
just a shame, by the end of Q1 they were actually doing decent times. And I don;t care what people think about them being backmarkers and holding up the leaders, that is a nonsense excuse IMO and them not being on the grid is not good for the show.
I don't really think that HRT will need much testing for getting Liuzzi inside 107%. The car can't be so bad, they just need to know how to set it up. Once they do, I believe that they will be able to do quick enough times.

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 16:51
I disagree with you trueFAN.

Keep the HRTs out of the race. They don't belong on the grid and definitely don't need to be on the track impeding everyone.

I'm going to take this opportunity to make a swipe at Mad Max. If it wasn't for his stupid tenure process, then we wouldn't find ourselves in this situation. That greedy little rat was just trying to find a way to line his pockets, and holding old grudges to keep viable racing teams off of the grid. What an idiot!

Mark
26th March 2011, 17:11
The 107% rule is fair. This is Formula 1, if you aren't fast enough, go away!

DazzlaF1
26th March 2011, 17:39
I don't really think that HRT will need much testing for getting Liuzzi inside 107%. The car can't be so bad, they just need to know how to set it up. Once they do, I believe that they will be able to do quick enough times.

True. Its not like its Mastercard Lola levels of uncompetiveness, they've got a decent design team there led by Geoff Willis who designed the race winning Honda from 2006 so he's no mug, A good development driver in Liuzzi & money coming in from Karthikeyan's sponsor. Also its worth saying Liuzzi was only a second off the 107% time anyway, sure it sounds a lot but considering it was being treated as a car shakedown, its not the end of the world.

If they have some trouble free practice runs in Malaysia and China, then I think they will be regularly under 107%, Virgin may have been close to DNQ'ing themselves as well but they should be OK as that car has a lot of room for development.

As for Team Lotus, when they sort out the tyre temperature problems, then we should see their true pace

Shifter
26th March 2011, 17:50
I can see why no Nahrain but Liuzzi darn well almost had it in there...

Sonic
26th March 2011, 17:58
The 107% rule is fair. This is Formula 1, if you aren't fast enough, go away!

POW! Quite right. Rules are rules. Period. Last year Team orders were banned and Ferrari should have been thrown to the dogs for using them - this year perfectly legal, so go right ahead. Equally 107 was not in place last year so if USF1 had managed to show up at the first race with a couple of F150 pick up trucks and were pathetically off the pace, so what. But this year, you must qualify within 107 of Q1 pace setter (which is more like 110 of the ultimate pace) so if you can't managed it - bye bye, TTFN.

AndyL
26th March 2011, 18:11
Red Bull have a non harvestable KERS system, i.e. it is charged pre-race, and deployed once at the start. It is smaller and lighter and offers significant packaging/weight distribution agvantages.

I didn't know that. I guess they forgot what the R stands for!

BDunnell
26th March 2011, 18:21
Red Bull will throw Mark to the dogs this year, no doubt about it.

Very sadly, I agree. Potential replacement for Massa at Ferrari if he disappoints this year, as I fear he will?

BDunnell
26th March 2011, 18:25
POW! Quite right. Rules are rules. Period. Last year Team orders were banned and Ferrari should have been thrown to the dogs for using them - this year perfectly legal, so go right ahead. Equally 107 was not in place last year so if USF1 had managed to show up at the first race with a couple of F150 pick up trucks and were pathetically off the pace, so what. But this year, you must qualify within 107 of Q1 pace setter (which is more like 110 of the ultimate pace) so if you can't managed it - bye bye, TTFN.

I wouldn't quite equate it to the Ferrari team orders thing. After all, team orders were going on left, right and centre without anyone seeing. Ferrari's problem was being overt about it and getting caught. The 107 per cent rule is rather different, wouldn't you agree? But your sentiments are bang on. Not within 107 per cent, no race, except in the genuinely extenuating circumstances.

Sonic
26th March 2011, 19:15
I wouldn't quite equate it to the Ferrari team orders thing. After all, team orders were going on left, right and centre without anyone seeing. Ferrari's problem was being overt about it and getting caught. The 107 per cent rule is rather different, wouldn't you agree? But your sentiments are bang on. Not within 107 per cent, no race, except in the genuinely extenuating circumstances.

*shrugs* couldn't think of better example at the time :)

IIRC back in the day a driver would be grated permission to rave if they had proven their ability to meet the 107 at some point during the weekend - HRT barely turned a wheel and so are rightly out.

That said, I hope they come back stronger in Sepang, get a decent base line setup, and breeze into the next GP. *crosses toes, fingers etc*

truefan72
26th March 2011, 19:48

yup

truefan72
26th March 2011, 19:50
That said, I hope they come back stronger in Sepang, get a decent base line setup, and breeze into the next GP. *crosses toes, fingers etc*

fair enough :)

Kevincal
26th March 2011, 19:58
I think its ****ty that HRT will be left out. Their cars ran so many fewer laps than everyone else and still managed to come very close to 107%, which tells me that after about 10 laps or so during the race their laps times would be within 107%...

Dave B
26th March 2011, 20:35
I think its ****ty that HRT will be left out. Their cars ran so many fewer laps than everyone else and still managed to come very close to 107%, which tells me that after about 10 laps or so during the race their laps times would be within 107%...
After 10 laps they'd have been lapped, assuming the cars survived that long.

SGWilko
26th March 2011, 20:51
so how are they supposed to get better.

Ummmmmm, errrrrrrrrrr, ooooohhhhhhhhh, what's that word?

Testing......... :dozey:

truefan72
26th March 2011, 22:48
Ummmmmm, errrrrrrrrrr, ooooohhhhhhhhh, what's that word?

Testing......... :dozey:

we can't go back in time now, can we :rolleyes:

CNR
26th March 2011, 23:35
it looks like i took the 107% qualifying the wrong way.

James Allen said that we would only know who was knocked out after the 3rd round of qualifying

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 23:48
it looks like i took the 107% qualifying the wrong way.?

That only applies to Q1. Says so on the F1 website.

fandango
27th March 2011, 07:13
Is anyone else having problems with the Live Timing feed? It won't work for me.

Sonic
27th March 2011, 07:18
Is Jensons DRS working? I saw it pop open on lap three, but it slammed shut half way down pit straight but I haven't seen the slot gap since.

Daniel
27th March 2011, 07:25
Jenson first attempted cheat of the year?

Daniel
27th March 2011, 07:26
And first penalised attempted cheat of the year

Sonic
27th March 2011, 07:27
Correct choice from the stewards - exactly the same as Silverstone and Fred last year.

Dave B
27th March 2011, 07:28
Jenson should've known better but interesting to see Massa letting Alonso through on the very first race.

Live timing playing up for anyone else?

Rollo
27th March 2011, 07:30
Button took an advantage. There is no question of that. BUT

Massa deliberately let Alonso past, dropped four seconds on the next lap and then Ferrari pitted both cars. This makes the obvious penalty impossible to enforce, leaving Charlie Whiting the Race Steward no option to impose a ten second stop penalty.

If Ferrari worked that out and it's witihin the rules, then that is pretty damn good strategy, but it's still not sporting of them.

Dear Ferrari, I bite my thumb at you. Thou art a knave and it is a deadly sorrow to behold a foul knave uncuckolded. You are not worth another word, 'cept thou art a knave!

Sonic
27th March 2011, 07:33
Shut up DC! Buemi didn't gain an advantage - he doubled his distance at turn four by running wide and still passed.

Daniel
27th March 2011, 07:34

Massa deliberately let Alonso past, dropped four seconds on the next lap and then Ferrari pitted both cars. This makes the obvious penalty impossible to enforce, leaving Charlie Whiting the Race Steward no option to impose a ten second stop penalty.

If Ferrari worked that out and it's witihin the rules, then that is pretty damn good strategy, but it's still not sporting of them.

Dear Ferrari, I bite my thumb at you. Thou art a knave and it is a deadly sorrow to behold a foul knave uncuckolded. You are not worth another word, 'cept thou art a knave!

Whilst I'd love to say Ferrari were cheating and throw poo at Alonso, it was Jenson who took advantage and then made the stupid choice to keep on going and Ferrari merely made it as painful as possible for them.

Fantastic defending by Massa and IMHO a true show of Jenson's relative lack of ability when up against a car which is fairly even. When Jenson was overtaking people in that Brawn it was miles better than anything else on the track.

fandango
27th March 2011, 07:34
Live timing playing up for anyone else?

It's running like a Hispania....

N4D13
27th March 2011, 07:35
Rollo, it's just like what happened in Silverstone with Alonso last year. Button could have given the positions back inmediately, but he didn't. He waited to see if he could get away with it, and he got the short end of the stick. It's McLaren's fault that they didn't tell Jenson to let Alonso and Massa by.

Sonic
27th March 2011, 07:35

Very slytherin of them.

Rollo
27th March 2011, 07:38
Um, I think I said that Button took an advantage...

Button took an advantage. There is no question of that.

Hmm, seems I did... carry on. :D

Daniel
27th March 2011, 07:41
You know what was going through Michael's head then :D

Sonic
27th March 2011, 07:48
The first DRS was better than I thought it might be. Just like getting a proper slipstream. Now if they can just engineer a way to get an actual slip stream without making it artificial then even better :)

fandango
27th March 2011, 07:50
Not to take anything away from Petrov, who's driving a storm of a race, but imagine what Kubica could do with that car.

N4D13
27th March 2011, 08:20
Alonso is closing on Petrov extremely fast. He might have a chance to pass him at the end of the race and take the last step of the podium. Quite frankly, if we had Kubica in third, I don't think that would happen.

Daniel
27th March 2011, 08:23
Why are people slagging Petrov off? He's doing well

N4D13
27th March 2011, 08:35
Why are people slagging Petrov off? He's doing well
As far as I've seen, nobody is criticising Petrov. We'd just like to see what Kubica could do with the Renault - personally, I believe he would do even better.

Alonso couldn't reach Petrov, that's too bad. :(

Robinho
27th March 2011, 08:38
Petrov drove a great race, but it just further enforces my displeasure at not seeing Robert in that car, he would have been fihting Lewis and maybe Seb IMO. but i don't want to take anything away from Vitaly, a great race

F1boat
27th March 2011, 08:39
Great race for Vitaly and Sebastian!

Daniel
27th March 2011, 08:40
Everyone is acting like Kubica was assured a win or something. 3rd was as good as you could hope to do agaist McLaren and Red Bull

Robinho
27th March 2011, 08:42
he was only, what 10 seconds, off an ailing McLaren,and only 30 off Vettel. in the same machinery i think Kubica would have had a shot for 2nd today. That car is good, and seems to be capable of fighting the McLarens and Ferraris at the moment

truefan72
27th March 2011, 08:44
3rd by petrov is about as good as it gets for the renault Kubica or petrov, how much better could Kubica have done?

Petrov started 6th and passed both button and alonso to get up to third, pulled out a gap from 4th placed massa and ran a superb race with one less stop than the 2 guys behind him, meaning he had to make his tyres work better and last longer. he finished 3rd behind the clearly dominant Vettel and superfast Hamilton.

How folks are saying that Kubica would have done better is beyond any reasonable rationale

Well done petrov!

haters are gonna hate :(

truefan72
27th March 2011, 08:46
Great Result for Hamilton, congrats Vettel
Super job Petrov

Good Job Sauber,

Button, next time show more patience

It was a good GP,

I don't think that DRS system was of any use, at least not if it is restricted to the area it was
perhaps 2 zones are what is called for

If RBR were not running kers, did they supplement the weight?

AndyL
27th March 2011, 08:47
Fantastic defending by Massa and IMHO a true show of Jenson's relative lack of ability when up against a car which is fairly even. When Jenson was overtaking people in that Brawn it was miles better than anything else on the track.

I guess Jenson must have swapped his McLaren for a Brawn at the last stop.

Daniel
27th March 2011, 08:48
Agreed truefan

Robinho
27th March 2011, 08:48
and no KERS all weekend for Red Bull, that puts to bed that one

truefan72
27th March 2011, 08:50
btw button should have given the position back to massa/alonso, they were on a 3 and he was on a 2 so even if he gave the position back he would have been right behind them and with that situation he would have taken back those two positions again

shame, really

keysersoze
27th March 2011, 08:55
As far as I've seen, nobody is criticising Petrov. :(

Um, you did, in your previous post, in saying that Alonso was going to have a go at Vitaly and then saying if Kubica had been 3rd, he wouldn't have let Alonso past. Surely that is a bit of a slag on Petrov.

Based on how Kubica and Vettel behaved at the end of the Australian GP two years ago, I think we may imagine the outcome would INDEED have been different.

truefan72
27th March 2011, 08:57
Um, you did, in your previous post, in saying that Alonso was going to have a go at Vitaly and then saying if Kubica had been 3rd, he wouldn't have let Alonso past. Surely that is a bit of a slag on Petrov.

Based on how Kubica and Vettel behaved at the end of the Australian GP two years ago, I think we may imagine the outcome would INDEED have been different.

:up:

N4D13
27th March 2011, 09:03

Well, I struggle to see how implying that Kubica is a faster driver than Petrov, or more skilled at defending his position on the track, implies criticising Petrov. My only intention was to hail Kubica's driving skills, not to criticise Petrov's, which are nonetheless impressive.

I just wanted to say that Alonso might have a chance on Petrov, but not on Kubica - but surely that means that Petrov is a bad driver, doesn't it?

Sonic
27th March 2011, 09:09
Bravo Renault for sticking with Petrov. The guy got a lot of (mostly unfair) stick in his rookie season. With so little testing in modern F1 a novice needs at least a single season to acclimatise an do the job - Renault now reap the rewards.

Personally I'm not gonna speculate as to how well Kube would have done, but it's clear Nick REALLY under performed this weekend. Very very poor show.

Bog talking point for me is the tyres - did Perez really just do a one stop? WOW! loving these new tyres if that's the spread of strategies we are going to see.

Dave B
27th March 2011, 09:10
Petrov drove a great race, speculation about what Robert may or may not have done is pointless.

I don't think Button cheated but he / the team were stupid not to immediately let Massa repass, giving Ferrari time to use team orders (in the 1st race ffs) to let Alonso through.

Robinho
27th March 2011, 09:14
3rd by petrov is about as good as it gets for the renault Kubica or petrov, how much better could Kubica have done?

Petrov started 6th and passed both button and alonso to get up to third, pulled out a gap from 4th placed massa and ran a superb race with one less stop than the 2 guys behind him, meaning he had to make his tyres work better and last longer. he finished 3rd behind the clearly dominant Vettel and superfast Hamilton.

How folks are saying that Kubica would have done better is beyond any reasonable rationale

Well done petrov!

haters are gonna hate :(

Not hating, and Petrov drove a great race, definately his best to date. but based on what we do know, Kubica is faster and more consistent. that would have given him the opportunity to maybe get as good or better result. its just a pity to not see Kubica in a car that is clearly capable of mixing it right at the front in the right conditions.

Petrovs start and opening few laps certainly made the race for him, and it was deeply impressive, moreso given my previous opinion of him.

truefan72
27th March 2011, 09:19
Well, I struggle to see how implying that Kubica is a faster driver than Petrov, or more skilled at defending his position on the track, implies criticising Petrov. My only intention was to hail Kubica's driving skills, not to criticise Petrov's, which are nonetheless impressive.

I just wanted to say that Alonso might have a chance on Petrov, but not on Kubica - but surely that means that Petrov is a bad driver, doesn't it?

Is alonso a faster and more skilled driver than Petrov? yes
did he overtake him in a faster Ferrari in Abu dhabi? no

just because you are deemed a faster or better driver does not mean on a particular day at a particular race you would have done better than finish 3rd behind a fast RBR and Mclaren and ahead of the ferrari's ( who qualified better) an RBR and another Mclaren, in a car that is clearly not as good as either the Macs or RBR's

Explain to me what Kubica would have done better?
could he have been doing 1:28's while Vettel and Hamiltion were doing 1:30's on equal fuel loads, or 1:27's on worn slower Prime's tires while Alonso and Webber 3 stopped and were on fresher tires doing mid 1:29's?
Because that is what it would have took to catch up to Hamilton and last I checked Alonso had no chance of getting bye Petrov since they probably turned the revs down for a while to get it home. In the last two laps when they saw Alonso pushing he increased his pace and the gap stayed constant.

I am not sure what race you were watching :rolleyes:

AndyL
27th March 2011, 09:23
Here's a big unanswered question for me: just how did Perez and Sauber manage to do a 1 stopper on these supposedly fragile Pirellis? Perez ran half the race on the soft tyres and still had strong pace at the end. While everyone's been focussing on Red Bull, Renault exhausts etc., have Sauber quietly come up with something really clever?

Daniel
27th March 2011, 09:24
Here's a big unanswered question for me: just how did Perez and Sauber manage to do a 1 stopper on these supposedly fragile Pirellis? Perez ran half the race on the soft tyres and still had strong pace at the end. While everyone's been focussing on Red Bull, Renault exhausts etc., have Sauber quietly come up with something really clever?

Or perhaps Perez just drove carefully but quick? Would be good if Sauber had an ace up their sleeve though :up:

truefan72
27th March 2011, 09:36
I think those tyres are a bit more durable than what folks think and Perez may be a smooth driver.
Cleverly they started the race on the harder compound when the car was heavier and made it work, then switched to the soft compound later and put less strain on those tyres. Good strategy, and probably a good design of the car as well.
It might not be a race winning or podium strategy, but it might get you solidly in the points throughout the year

steveaki13
27th March 2011, 10:07
I really enjoyed the race. It wasn't an out and out classic but a really good race where all the drivers battled hard, tried different strategies.

Button deserved the penalty as he didn't let the Ferrari's through.

he should have let through the Ferrari's and sat on their tails and worked past in pitstops or passing, rather than continuing to argue he was ahead and lose 30 seconds.

I thought Vettel was calm and composed and won well, Petrov drove brilliantly for his first podium, and Perez also for an amazing one stop race.

Pirelli tyres seem to have proved some people wrong in this first race.

Robinho
27th March 2011, 10:17
one thing i would say, people are saying Button should have let the Ferraris past as he was on a 2 stopper and the Ferraris a 3 stopper. at that time they did not know that, as far as they knew they were in a straight fight for track position. he still should have let Massa through straght away, as he was clearly faster

Daniel
27th March 2011, 10:19
one thing i would say, people are saying Button should have let the Ferraris past as he was on a 2 stopper and the Ferraris a 3 stopper. at that time they did not know that, as far as they knew they were in a straight fight for track position. he still should have let Massa through straght away, as he was clearly faster

To me what strategy people were on is irrelevant, what Button did required him to give the position back. Fair do's to Ferrari for really making McLaren and Button pay for it :up: First they made it so he had to let Alonso and Massa through and then they turned it into a situation where the stewards had to give Button a drivethrough.

Robinho
27th March 2011, 10:35
it is irrelevant, that was my point. It was very easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, that Button should have given the place back as he was on a different strategy, but at the time they couldn't know that and so i should not and did not enter into the decision (or lack of) making process. they should have just given the place back regardless, and then, as things shook out, they would have found that they were working on a different strategy anyway

UltimateDanGTR
27th March 2011, 10:44
A good first race of the season even if it wasnt quite the rollercoaster of last year's Aussie GP.

Congrats to Petrov, Perez, Hamilton and Vettel for all being scintilating for varying reasons. It hurt thinking about what Kubica could do in that Renault, but hey I am pleased for a lot of guys out there today.

jens
27th March 2011, 11:30
Impressive performance by Petrov. Now that he is out of danger of getting trashed by team-mate (due to the injury of Robert) he seems to have gained a lot of confidence. Wonder, if it was secretly Kubica driving the car. :p :

But the fact that Vitali is missing a top-class team-mate as a benchmark will keep people in doubt. If in 2006 Renault Fisichella's team-mate had been Luca Badoer, then a 4th place finish would have viewed as a good result. Because no-one would have known, how good the car really is. Quite a pointless guess, but perhaps Kubica would have fought with Hamilton for second at best. The car is obviously very good, just the question is - how very good? But I don't think it can match Red Bull.

In any case, already last year Petrov had some good drives - about 4 of them over a full season. Let's see, how consistently can he manage to do them this year, which he needs to start doing now.

--

Nicely controlled race by Vettel and Red Bull. Their advantage is smaller in the race than in qualifying, so they can't relax and afford mishaps if they are aiming to run away with the title.

BDunnell
27th March 2011, 11:43
Impressive performance by Petrov. Now that he is out of danger of getting trashed by team-mate (due to the injury of Robert) he seems to have gained a lot of confidence. Wonder, if it was secretly Kubica driving the car. :p :

But the fact that Vitali is missing a top-class team-mate as a benchmark will keep people in doubt. If in 2006 Renault Fisichella's team-mate had been Luca Badoer, then a 4th place finish would have viewed as a good result. Because no-one would have known, how good the car really is. Quite a pointless guess, but perhaps Kubica would have fought with Hamilton for second at best. The car is obviously very good, just the question is - how very good? But I don't think it can match Red Bull.

I must confess, I have never quite bought into some of the hype about Kubica — the stuff about Hamilton fearing him more than anyone, and so on. It may very well be true, but we haven't yet truly seen him in a car that's been able to prove it. I have no doubt that he would probably have been ahead of Petrov if all had gone well, but who can say?

Shifter
27th March 2011, 15:44
I'm probably the biggest Kubica fan here, but without him in the car, speculations are just pure speculaton. Vitaly drove great and Heidfeld, despite technical problems in Q1 showed rust. I bet Vitaly will look good but he'll be regularly fighting for top 5s not always in it. Heidfeld will start to show form after a few races.

Congrats to Vettel. Definitely the driver to beat...fastest car and possibly smoother on the Pirellis than Webber.

ioan
27th March 2011, 16:32
I must confess, I have never quite bought into some of the hype about Kubica — the stuff about Hamilton fearing him more than anyone, and so on. It may very well be true, but we haven't yet truly seen him in a car that's been able to prove it. I have no doubt that he would probably have been ahead of Petrov if all had gone well, but who can say?

Completely agree!
Kubica's is a case of fanboy hype with nothing or very very little facts to back it up, and it will most probably never get beyond this, given the extent of his injuries.

SGWilko
27th March 2011, 16:33
we can't go back in time now, can we :rolleyes:

Nope, but if testing is provided over 4 tests before the start of the season, it would make a teeny tiny bit of sense to hone your car in those tests, rather than use Q1 to start their testing.....?