PDA

View Full Version : Tony Kanaan FT with KV

Hoop-98
21st March 2011, 13:52
Tony will drive the Lotus sponsored # 82.

Curt Cavin (http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2011/03/21/finally-kanaan-finalizes-his-ride/)

Hoop-98
21st March 2011, 14:07
Also PT is saying he has good news today....

paul tracy
Have good news today coming ... Working today on the rest of the puzzle

domaza
21st March 2011, 14:22

Curt Cavin (http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2011/03/21/finally-kanaan-finalizes-his-ride/)

Great news. I just do not understand, what LOTUS interest is in sponsoring race cars?

Scotty G.
21st March 2011, 14:36

Its actually the GEICO #82.

Hoop-98
21st March 2011, 14:42
PR:

KANAAN TO DRIVE FOR KV RACING TECHNOLOGY– LOTUS
DURING 2011 IZOD INDYCAR SERIES SEASON
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – MARCH 21, 2011 -- KV Racing Technology – Lotus announced today that IndyCar star Tony Kanaan will contest the 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series season for the team.

Kanaan, with primary support from GEICO, will pilot the No. 82 GEICO – KV Racing Technology – Lotus Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry. He joins Takuma Sato and E. J. Viso in a three-car effort for the team in 2011.

“I am very pleased to announce that Tony Kanaan is joining our team,” said KVRT – Lotus co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. “Tony will be an asset both on and off the track. His addition, in combination with Takuma Sato and E. J. Viso, will provide us with the opportunity to be consistently competitive. I also want to acknowledge GEICO for their support in making Tony’s addition to KVRT – Lotus possible.”

KVRT - Lotus co-owner Jimmy Vasser said. “I think Tony (Kanaan) is a great addition to our team. He, along with Taku and EJ gives KVRT – Lotus a very strong driver line-up and one I am sure can compete for podium finishes and race wins. Tony’s knowledge and experience will be extremely valuable to our team. I would also like to thank GEICO for their support and KVRT – Lotus General Manager Mark Johnson for his tireless work getting all the parties together.”

Ted Ward, GEICO’s Vice President of Marketing said, “We are excited at the opportunity to once again work with KV Racing Technology - Lotus in the IndyCar Series. We feel that safety is an important component of auto racing and being associated with Jimmy Vasser and Tony Kanaan will only help us to continue to spread our message. This is our first full season primary sponsorship in the IndyCar Series and we feel it will complement our current longstanding NASCAR programs and assist us in reaching a much broader fan base.”

Kanaan, the 2004 IndyCar Series Champion, who completed every lap of every race in route to the championship, is known as a consistent and fearless competitor. The 36-year-old native of Brazil is entering his 14th season of major U. S. based open–wheel competition and 10th in the IndyCar Series (ran one IndyCar race in 2002). A perennial championship contender, Kanaan has made 225 career open-wheel starts earning 150 top-10 finishes including 94 top-five showings with 15 wins and 14 pole positions. His IndyCar record is even more impressive. In 132 starts, Kanaan has finished in the top-10 a remarkable 102 times, including 78 top-five performances, 14 wins and 10 poles.

Commenting on his signing with KVRT – Lotus, Kanaan said, “Jimmy (Vasser) and I started talking about joining forces at the end of last season, but the timing was not ideal and I ended up signing with Gil (de Ferran). When I became a free agent in mid-February, calling Vasser seemed like a natural thing to do since KVRT was one of the top teams still looking for a driver. Jimmy and I go back a long way, we were rivals during the CART days, but more than that, we have always been good friends, which helped a lot with our negotiations.

“I’m thrilled that we reached an agreement and from the bottom of my heart I’d like to thank KV Racing Technology – Lotus for the opportunity they have given me and especially for taking me under the circumstances I found myself in. KVRT - Lotus is one of the most successful teams that joined IndyCar from Champ Car and I can’t wait to sit in the legendary Lotus No. 82 car and start working with the crew. I’ve spent the last six months looking for sponsorship and not thinking about racing. so I missed all the pre-season testing, but I really can’t complain. With a group of guys like Vasser and his team backing me, plus the help of my new teammates, Takuma Sato and E. J. Viso, the only thing I can say is that I’m ready to do what I do best, drive a racecar and push hard to give KVRT – Lotus their first IndyCar win.

“I want to thank GEICO for their help in making it possible for me to join KVRT - Lotus. I would also like to thank all of my fans and supporters that stuck with me during this extra-long offseason and invite them to stay tuned on the 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series. I can assure you it will be a very exciting one. I can’t forget to mention that my son Leo is very thankful that I kept my car green, he was having a hard time accepting any other color.”

Lotus Director of Motorsport Claudio Berro said, “We are delighted to welcome Tony Kanaan to the KVRT – Lotus team. The addition of a driver of Tony’s calibre strengthens our existing team and reiterates our commitment to IndyCar and to achieving success in the series. Tony, a former champion with multiple race wins, brings with him a wealth of experience. He will undoubtedly be a great asset to the team complementing our existing driver line-up of Takuma Sato and E.J. Viso, who also flies the flag for Lotus for the first time this year.

“We believe that we have one of the strongest driver line-ups on the grid with a great blend of experience, talent, enthusiasm and total commitment. I am convinced we have all the right ingredients in place to build upon our inaugural season and to make the necessary progress and ultimately enjoy success in the coming months and years.”

The 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series season begins March 25-27 with the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg in St. Petersburg, Florida.

For more information about KV Racing Technology visit: http://www.kvracingtechnology.com or follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kvracing and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kvracingtechnology

TURN3
21st March 2011, 14:56
I want to make very clear that I'm happy TK will be driving this year.

That said, KV, Vasser, and GEICO are about as classless and low life as it gets. I'm sorry, business is business but for GEICO to go from only ABC races and a part time Indy deal to full season with same team, equal driver means something stinks. TK already proved he can't lead a circus show over at AA aka Tingling Bros, tough seeing him do better at Barnum & Bailey.

SarahFan
21st March 2011, 14:56
With Geico sponsorship!?!?!

Hmmmmmm.....

MDS
21st March 2011, 16:40

That said, KV, Vasser, and GEICO are about as classless and low life as it gets. I'm sorry, business is business but for GEICO to go from only ABC races and a part time Indy deal to full season with same team, equal driver means something stinks. TK already proved he can't lead a circus show over at AA aka Tingling Bros, tough seeing him do better at Barnum & Bailey.

First of all you have no idea what went on behind closed doors, none of us do. At first blush I could see where GEICO would get more excited about a driver with appeal to the growing Latino market then a guy whose a national hero in a company they don't operate in.

maxmach
21st March 2011, 16:41
Ok, it does seem odd, very odd, that Gieco is doing all this with TK. I just wonder if that was PT's seat, until......until something seemed to happen between PT and Vasser. What I don't know. Just wondering.

Phoenixent
21st March 2011, 17:01

Did you expect anything different from KV Racing? I remember them doing that to one of the nicest team owners in Champcar/Indycar Racing Derrick Walker. But that time they stole the driver (Will Power) and the sponsor (Aussie Vineyards) leaving Walker Racing with nothing at the last minute and he supported KK by staying with Champcar instead of moving over to the IRL. Just because Jimmy Vasser is well like when he was a driver does not mean he is a nice business person. Also how do you think KK got all his money? The road to success is paved his the bodies of everyone they (KV Racing) stabbed in the back.

TURN3
21st March 2011, 17:32
You are correct MDS, I don't know what went on behind closed doors....which is why I suggest something stinks. Based on all that is public now, its pretty hard to spin JV is anything but a snake. Lots we don't know, yes. Some things we DO know. I for one hope TK does alright but Sato and Viso continue being themselves...destroying equipment.

Very good point too about KV history of back stabbing....forgot about that.

DBell
21st March 2011, 20:25
Here is Robin's Speed article on the this.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-kanaan-lands-at-kv-racing

He says engineer Michael Cannon will also join Kanaan at KV, leaving HVM. That's great for Tony, probably not so great for Simona. Cannon is one of the top engineers in IndyCar.

onthelimiter
21st March 2011, 20:51
Also PT is saying he has good news today....

paul tracy
Have good news today coming ... Working today on the rest of the puzzle

PT signed a deal with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for this years INDY 500.

Townsend Bell also signed a deal today for the INDY 500 with Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

Great news ahead of St.Pete! soooo looking forward to it!!

MDS
21st March 2011, 21:17
You are correct MDS, I don't know what went on behind closed doors....which is why I suggest something stinks. Based on all that is public now, its pretty hard to spin JV is anything but a snake. Lots we don't know, yes. Some things we DO know. I for one hope TK does alright but Sato and Viso continue being themselves...destroying equipment.

I think you're rage might be misplaced. Yeah, Jimmy Vasser is smart and shrewd, but the backbone of the financial end of the team is Kevin Kalkhoven.

About "Stealing" Will Power and Aussie Vineyards away from Derrick Walker... If Walker had a contract with Aussie Vineyards and Will Power they would have been racing together. That sponsorship, and Will Power, both came into Champ Car because of Kalkhoven who farmed both the sponsorship and the driver out to Walker. He didn't "Steal" Will Power and Aussie Vineyards from Derrick Walker because neither the sponsor nor Will Power were Derrick's to begin with. I don't understand why KK and JV take the hit for what happened when it was really Craig Gore's decision. Or why Eric gets a pass for dumping Franck Perera, who by a lot of people's estimation could be better than Power. Why Eric Barnes doesn't get crap for what happened between him and Dillon Battistini. Why Micheal Andretti gets a pass for taking Conway's money when he could have kept TK or gotten PT, John Edwards, Dan Wheldon, Sebastien Bourdais, Simon Pagenaud, Johnathan Summerton, Bruno, Oriol, James Hinchcliffe, JK Vernay or any of a number of drivers the fans here deem as more deserving than EJ and Taku. (Personally I'm more than willing to give Micheal a pass on Conway because of all the work he's doing bringing Sage Karem, Zach Veech and Spencer Pigot up through the racks)

Yeah, his timing could have/should have been better but I'm a part owner of a business and I've had to do a number of less than honorable things in order to keep the doors open. I'm kinda tired of people banging on Vasser and Kalkhoven for taking talented drivers with sponsors in order to keep the open. They've been shaking the bushes for sponsorship and its not like they've sunk to the John Jakes/Milka Duno level.

TURN3
22nd March 2011, 01:29
I think you're rage might be misplaced. Yeah, Jimmy Vasser is smart and shrewd, but the backbone of the financial end of the team is Kevin Kalkhoven.

About "Stealing" Will Power and Aussie Vineyards away from Derrick Walker... If Walker had a contract with Aussie Vineyards and Will Power they would have been racing together. That sponsorship, and Will Power, both came into Champ Car because of Kalkhoven who farmed both the sponsorship and the driver out to Walker. He didn't "Steal" Will Power and Aussie Vineyards from Derrick Walker because neither the sponsor nor Will Power were Derrick's to begin with. I don't understand why KK and JV take the hit for what happened when it was really Craig Gore's decision. Or why Eric gets a pass for dumping Franck Perera, who by a lot of people's estimation could be better than Power. Why Eric Barnes doesn't get crap for what happened between him and Dillon Battistini. Why Micheal Andretti gets a pass for taking Conway's money when he could have kept TK or gotten PT, John Edwards, Dan Wheldon, Sebastien Bourdais, Simon Pagenaud, Johnathan Summerton, Bruno, Oriol, James Hinchcliffe, JK Vernay or any of a number of drivers the fans here deem as more deserving than EJ and Taku. (Personally I'm more than willing to give Micheal a pass on Conway because of all the work he's doing bringing Sage Karem, Zach Veech and Spencer Pigot up through the racks)

Yeah, his timing could have/should have been better but I'm a part owner of a business and I've had to do a number of less than honorable things in order to keep the doors open. I'm kinda tired of people banging on Vasser and Kalkhoven for taking talented drivers with sponsors in order to keep the open. They've been shaking the bushes for sponsorship and its not like they've sunk to the John Jakes/Milka Duno level.

There is some validity to what you're saying with regard to others getting the free pass. You have to remember though MDS, they tore up more equipment last year than any team in history. By virture of how they choose to run their team, who they choose to employ (in the cockpit), and the results they garner...they bring it all on themselves. I would be different if they had AJF or Conquest's engineering staff but they have some of the best staff in the business. I'm aquainted with an ALMS crew chief that walked away from an opportunity them for exactly what I hear other staff members are complaining about. Granted, TK gives them some hope but the only real races they showed up the past 2 years are the races that part-time PT put up for them.

My disdain for what has transpired isn't about the ride buying though. It has to do with integrity and loyalty. Yes, it is a business BUT a 20 year friendship would override that with a real man. Maybe this is all on KK and not on JV like you seem to be suggesting. You could be right BUT, guilty by association. Anybody that claims they HAVE to make less than honorable decisions to keep the doors of their business open is a low life. That is a total EXCUSE and defines the very character of who a person is. I own a business and part of 2 others myself. Yes I watch the greed and the shady tactics of my competition and such all the time. Guess what, they're all broke and broke for a reason. Honesty and Integrity trump all over time. They have a name for those that make excuses, sell-out. It isn't about bringing TK in, good for TK. It is about what PT brought to KV and his long-time friend's team...and what/how it was pouched. KV (K is the Kalkoven and V is the Vasser) are sell-out low life degenerates, period.

Nothing personal MDS, but that is how I look at anybody under these types of circumstances.

MDS
22nd March 2011, 03:41
Turn3, you're assuming facts not in evidence. Paul Tracy has been really quiet about Geico showing on on TK's car, and there may be a good reason for that.

For all we know Paul did something to piss off Geico last year at the 500 and that soured the relationship between the two of them because they cut all ties with him after the 500 miss. Remember how they were at the other ABC races with Paul in 2009 but not 2010. Do you think something could have happened there that we don't know about?

You're putting this into a good guy/bad guy narrative because of your own ideas about KK and JV. For all we know PT and GEICO had a falling out and JV was able to lure them back to the sport. That's as likely a scenario as JV and KK poaching Paul's sponsor.

TURN3
22nd March 2011, 03:53
Turn3, you're assuming facts not in evidence. Paul Tracy has been really quiet about Geico showing on on TK's car, and there may be a good reason for that.

For all we know Paul did something to piss off Geico last year at the 500 and that soured the relationship between the two of them because they cut all ties with him after the 500 miss. Remember how they were at the other ABC races with Paul in 2009 but not 2010. Do you think something could have happened there that we don't know about?

You're putting this into a good guy/bad guy narrative because of your own ideas about KK and JV. For all we know PT and GEICO had a falling out and JV was able to lure them back to the sport. That's as likely a scenario as JV and KK poaching Paul's sponsor.

Maybe you don't read the other forums, I wouldn't know. But it seems to me from what has been said that your theory is based more on facts not in evidence than mine. In reality, nothing has been submitted as "evidence". I think my first post made clear my speculation was based on what was available to us. Seems to me if it were as innocent as you want so much to believe, there wouldn't be the bad blood that is apparent. Sorry for your personal attachment to KV, but if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...well you know it must be a duck.

anthonyvop
22nd March 2011, 16:28

PT's tweet after the announcement

paultracy3 paul tracy
by
@oversteertv
@TonyKanaan you better have eyes in the back of your head with that family ...

Phoenixent
22nd March 2011, 19:22
PT's tweet after the announcement

I read that plus all the others when his money went away and he had to dig deeper to get this ride. We should have known something was up after they put Geico on one of their other cars. The two owners stated thinking and drew their daggers to plunge them in PT's back.......

Hopefully PT will have success like Will did after leaving that outfit......