PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT, ALMS TV deal.

downtowndeco
20th March 2011, 15:28
I remember a few months ago someone started a topic saying that the new ALMS TV deal was leaps and bounds better than the package Indycar has, so when Sebring was run yesterday I decided to check it out. I searched the usual channels (SpeedTV, CBS, ESPN2 etc) & the race was no where to be found. So I went on line & googled it & found it was on ESPN3 on line. I track that down and have a go at it. After fiddling w/it about a half of an hour trying to watch it on my laptop in my office I walked away from it.

There is no substitute for a race on cable on a large screen TV in your living room w/surround sound. Yes, I know there is a way to run your PC through your TV etc but I (like most people I suspect) don't want to go through the bother.

Here's to keeping Indycar to cable & the more races on network TV the better. It's bad enough having to try & find VS.

Lee Roy
20th March 2011, 17:05
I watched the last 4 hours on my PC. It was fantastic. Few if any commericals. This is a fantastic way to watch a race . . . . if you have good service and equipment.

I was even watching on my 3 year old wireless laptop for a while until the battery went south.

Looking forward to the rest of the ALMS season.

booger
20th March 2011, 19:47
It's just a sin that the ALMS couldn't (or wouldn't) broadcast their "superbowl" race. Thanks, Dr. Panoz. Looks like your series is headed for the dumper if fans can't watch your biggest event. See you at the next GrandAm broadcast, lads, because I won't be looking for broadcast of this series again, no matter how good everybody says it is.

harvick#1
20th March 2011, 20:29
the espn feed was fantastic with radio lemans doing the commentary, very few commercials for near the whole 12 hours. with the digital age we are in, there are tvs with the tecnology to be used with your computer and if you have a solid connection you will still get a very good quality broadcast

slorydn1
20th March 2011, 20:36
YEAH If If If If...I had things come up....I was able to watch the Nationwide race in CRYSTAL clear HD, which was DVR'd so I didnt have to bother with commercials. Cant DVR my laptop, so guess what I didnt get to watch yesterday....and judging from my work schedule, I wont get to watch any alms this year...oh well, thems the breaks.

Mr. Mister
20th March 2011, 20:56
I absolutely love the American Le Mans Series.

Or loved.

I have a great computer, I have a great Internet connection, and I have a great TV package with about 900 channels. Unfortunately, ESPN3.com is not included in that. I realize they want the 18-34 crowd, but hey, I'm in that demographic, and they've lost me.

Supplementing live coverage with content in the iTunes store/Android Market etc. is a great way to go about the new generation of fans. Re-broadcasting races in shorter time-slots with added features/commentary is also an interesting idea. But you need the live coverage. People aren't going to go on ESPN3.com looking for what's on unless they know what to find, and people aren't going to know to go find ALMS if the only way to find out about it is by watching it on ESPN3.com.

Marbles
21st March 2011, 00:25
I'll admit to my consternation when I tuned to SPEED to check out the race and it wasn't there but... it was available to anyone with an internet connection and it wasn't interrupted by NASCAR practice or a truck race. This is a race that virtually no one on this planet saw unless they were there a decade or so ago.

I admire what the ALMS is doing and their Docu-style rebroadcast of some races could be a real winner. Anyone who saw last years broadcast of the Laguna event knows that post production can squeeze drama from a rock.

I think Indycar could learn a thing or two from these guys. I mean, these folks don't have an "Indy" or a "Daytona" and they keep on truckin'.

FIAT1
21st March 2011, 13:19
Superb race! Love ESPN3 . Agree that major race should be live but Sunday Abc was ok. Comparison to other minor racing on nascar tv is absurd. This cars are awesome and sportcar racing and tech ,amazing! Can't wait for RA to enjoy sound of these bad boys.

Lee Roy
21st March 2011, 13:50
I wonder if the Le Mans 24 will be on ESPN3?

garyshell
21st March 2011, 14:38
I wonder if the Le Mans 24 will be on ESPN3?

Nope, there was a promo for it on Speed during Wind Tunnel last night. 24 hours of coverage part on air and part on-line.

Gary

Lee Roy
21st March 2011, 14:45
Thanks

FormerFF
22nd March 2011, 01:46
Saw it. Loved the coverage. IP delivery of video programming is the wave of the future. I suspect in 20 years the term "television" will be obsolete.

nigelred5
22nd March 2011, 02:18
I was able to watch the last hour on the laptop. but as has been said already, it's no substitute for a real television deal. I can already do it, however I'm not quite ready to have a dedicated PC attached to my television just to view streaming video on a decent sized display from the comfort of my favorite chair. it also limits my ability to pull it up on any of my other tv's.