PDA

View Full Version : BTC-spec cars

uncoolhippie
16th March 2007, 22:07
OK, I'm a little confused about BTC-spec cars now. I thought I read somewhere that now that S2000 cars are the main spec, BTC-spec cars would be made slower by the BTCC so that they couldn't compete with the S2000 cars and they'd have there own little class. But on media day, one of the Integras was third fastest and in an article about Fiona Leggate, she said she was hoping the MG's could get podiums and wins. So I'm confused. Are BTC cars still eligible for over all wins and the championship or not?

Robinho
16th March 2007, 22:19
they are eligible for wins, but not for the outright championship.

i think the hope was that the majority of the grid would move to S2000 and the remaining BTC cars would be in the hands of the less well funded and perhaps slower drivers, and therefore would not need ballasting, however, if the BTC spec cars do too well expect the rule makers to stick some extra ballast on to bump them down the field a little.

the inference was that the BTC spec cars should still be a competitive option for privateers looking to make the step up to the BTCC grid.

given that the majority of the grid is S2000, and in the hands of the bigger teams and established drivers Alan Gows thoughts seem to have been borne out pretty accurately, but expect the likes of Jordan to pick up decent results, especially at the start of the season before the S2000 cars hit their stride

kmchow
16th March 2007, 22:54
I expect it will be more than another year ('09??) before S2000 cars would start being as affordable to privateers as the current BTC Cup cars seem to be selling for? But even then, a lot of teams are having difficulty fielding BTC Cup cars?

Iain
17th March 2007, 08:20
Mike Jordan's the only BTC-Spec driver I expect to be getting anywhere near the top 5 this year. I wouldn't read much into the testing times for anyone, they're never that accurate.

Captain VXR
17th March 2007, 10:10
I expect it will be more than another year ('09??) before S2000 cars would start being as affordable to privateers as the current BTC Cup cars seem to be selling for? But even then, a lot of teams are having difficulty fielding BTC Cup cars?

Don't forget that S2000 cars have been made since 2002 so it's only a matter of time until teams start realising that they can get cheap S2000 cars if they look in other countries

thompp
17th March 2007, 23:53
As much as I support Fiona I think her claim to get podiums this year might be a little optimistic. She made the same claim at the start of 2006.....