PDA

View Full Version : The incredible worthless UN

Roamy
17th March 2011, 19:44
I don't even need to comment:

UN: No-fly zone in Libya; US: Send in the bombers
Posted on March 17, 2011 by Hal Jordan
Now that the rebellion is about to collapse, the UN and the Obama adminstration bestir themselves and contemplate taking action. First, in a completely uncharacteristic move, the United Nations decides to do something more that send a strongly-worded letter:

UN Security Council members agreed on a draft resolution that will impose a no-fly zone over Libya, diplomats in New York said. The decision will be brought up for a vote later in the day.

No veto from China and Germany and Russia? Brilliant! Next (actually, yesterday), Obama checks the wind direction, determines that his poll numbers could use a boost, and decides to do something:

The US is pushing the UN to authorise not just a no-fly zone over Libya, but also the use of air strikes to stop the advance of forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi.

Washington’s ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, said on Wednesday that a no-fly zone would have only a limited use, and that the Obama administration was working “very hard” to pass a new resolution, which would authorise the use of aerial bombing of Libyan tanks and heavy artillery.

Next, pigs will fly, rain will fall upward, and hell will freeze over. And on a completely unrelated note, Gaddafi is starting to look like a male version of Helen Thomas:

Daniel
17th March 2011, 20:00
The moment anyone (not singling out the US here) starts dropping bombs on Libya innocent people will start dying as they inevitably do and that's not good.

Rollo
17th March 2011, 21:56
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/12/iraq-invasion-violated-interational-law-dutch-inquiry-finds

Why does the US care about what the UN thinks and does? The US has proven in the past that it will ignore UN Resolutions if it doesn't like them, hold people without trial and legislation for years and use torture to extract information out of people.

If any other nation had that sort of track record, they would have been expelled from the UN long ago.

You are of course free to enter another illegal war if you wish, it would probably help to cripple the US economy further. How much has the war in Iraq cost? $3,000,000,000,000?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/iraq-war-caused-slowdown-in-the-us/story-e6frg6tf-1111115661208

Edward Gibbon had a lot to say about the loss of "civic virtue" in his rather famous book about the period following Pax Romana. I can see direct parallels following Pax Americana as well.

Retro Formula 1
17th March 2011, 22:19
It's funny that all these Red Neck, Gun toting, confused and hypocritical Americans are scared sh*tless about the Muslim Brotherhood, Al Quida and Sharia Law yet when a largly Muslim Country is threatened with Civil war and a good old fashioned mainstream Dictator looks like being toppled by the big bad Rag Heads, those same myopic hypocrites want to jump in and dish out some military justice to help them out.

Come on, which Muslims are we scared of here. Pro-Gadaffi who blows up airliners over Scotland or the magical, mystical Muslim Brotherhood who can't even defeat the unpopular current rag-tag regeime or are we just trying to mollycoddle anyone named Ahmet for their own good?

Roamy
17th March 2011, 22:51
It's funny that all these Red Neck, Gun toting, confused and hypocritical Americans are scared sh*tless about the Muslim Brotherhood, Al Quida and Sharia Law yet when a largly Muslim Country is threatened with Civil war and a good old fashioned mainstream Dictator looks like being toppled by the big bad Rag Heads, those same myopic hypocrites want to jump in and dish out some military justice to help them out.

Come on, which Muslims are we scared of here. Pro-Gadaffi who blows up airliners over Scotland or the magical, mystical Muslim Brotherhood who can't even defeat the unpopular current rag-tag regeime or are we just trying to mollycoddle anyone named Ahmet for their own good?

I think you are a little confused as to who is scared sh!tless. The facts here are we were in favor of the no fly zone. But we wanted participation from the non-gun toting pussies who duck everything. Now the no fly has been ratified - Lets see who shows up !

BDunnell
17th March 2011, 22:59
I think you are a little confused as to who is scared sh!tless. The facts here are we were in favor of the no fly zone. But we wanted participation from the non-gun toting pussies who duck everything. Now the no fly has been ratified - Lets see who shows up !

I'm not sure you've been following the story all that closely. Ths US has not expressed a consistent view in favour of the no-fly zone. Robert Gates in particular has hardly been overtly supportive. The UK and France have led the way internationally on the issue. I am no supporter of either the British or French governments, but it is wrong to deny that it is they who have been pushing for a no-fly zone. I am unconvinced as to its effectiveness, but we'll see.

Bob Riebe
18th March 2011, 04:22
The moment anyone (not singling out the US here) starts dropping bombs on Libya innocent people will start dying as they inevitably do and that's not good.Verses the innocent people dying now, what is your point?

Bob Riebe
18th March 2011, 04:29
I'm not sure you've been following the story all that closely. Ths US has not expressed a consistent view in favour of the no-fly zone. Robert Gates in particular has hardly been overtly supportive. The UK and France have led the way internationally on the issue. I am no supporter of either the British or French governments, but it is wrong to deny that it is they who have been pushing for a no-fly zone. I am unconvinced as to its effectiveness, but we'll see.Very early on, Obama the feckless, flapped his lips about the imposing of a no-fly-zone.

When people started to expect him to man-up and back up his words- then - Obama's select hand-puppet spokes-men started to try to float the "that's not what we meant" show-boat.

motoramadanuk
27th March 2011, 17:42
Give me a break. I bet from your post you're a right winger. Whining if a democrat does the exact same thing as a conservative which you consider it a great move.

Bob Riebe
28th March 2011, 04:54
Give me a break. I bet from your post you're a right winger. Whining if a democrat does the exact same thing as a conservative which you consider it a great move.
So you lose a lot of bets, what does this have to do with the topic?