PDA

View Full Version : No Upgrades Allowed

Stuartf12007
16th March 2011, 17:33
This is an idea and i think its a reasonable one.

The cars that the teams spend millions on building in the off season, should be the car they have to race with for the whole season.

So no upgrades once the season starts, this would end the whinging drivers always complaining saying "the car will be better, once we get the new aero package on it"

or as a compromise an upgrade window half way through the season, or something similar, ie, like the transfer window they have in football.

Discuss.

Koz
16th March 2011, 17:47

The cars that the teams spend millions on building in the off season, should be the car they have to race with for the whole season.

So no upgrades once the season starts, this would end the whinging drivers always complaining saying "the car will be better, once we get the new aero package on it"

And if this happens, instead of Brawn winning the first 6 out of 7 races in 2009, they would have won over 15+ over the course of the season.

Do really you want to watch that?

MrJan
16th March 2011, 18:08
^^^^What Koz said. If you don't allow upgrades then you just get a whitewash. One of the interesting things of F1 is watching teams try to catch up with the early pace setters, Brawn GP is a perfect example.

Mark
16th March 2011, 20:53
If such a rule were to be applied it would be the death of F1 and quite probably the worst thing that has ever happened to it, and there's been some bad ones!

Big Ben
16th March 2011, 20:55
horror

UltimateDanGTR
16th March 2011, 21:48
Taking in-season development out of F1 is like taking the goals out of football. It ruins the whole point of the sport, and it will essentially be not much different to any othe single seat series.

truefan72
17th March 2011, 02:03
terrible idea, what everyone else said

Tazio
17th March 2011, 02:13
+1

555-04Q2
17th March 2011, 10:34

or as a compromise an upgrade window half way through the season, or something similar, ie, like the transfer window they have in football.

Discuss.

One of the worst ideas in the history of worst ideas :down:

Dave B
17th March 2011, 10:48
That is the worst idea in the history of entertainment since Abraham Lincoln said, "I'm sick of kicking around the house all day, let's go take in a show." :p

Sorry Stuart, but in addition to the comments above your idea also wouldn't solve the problem of "teams spending millions". All that would happen is the budget would be used in other areas, or shifted to more R&D.

Robinho
17th March 2011, 12:06
and any teams who turned up at the 1st race and got creamed would have no incentive to even bother for the rest of the year.

disastrous plan, sorry

Bezza
17th March 2011, 12:39
Can I have the 47 seconds back that I took to read this idea please?

V12
17th March 2011, 15:47
What others have said - the development race through the season is half the fun.

I can see this rule coming in though in the near future - from the same prats that brought us frozen engines and control tyres after all.

The obsession with cost-cutting will be the death of this sport (as a sport), it's most of the way there already.

Mark
17th March 2011, 17:04
Well they stopped engine development, which was stupid too.

Wasted Talent
17th March 2011, 17:06
Sorry, not a good idea.

Next...............

WT

Firstgear
17th March 2011, 17:56
At first glance I must admit that I didn't like the idea. But if you build upon it - by say - mandating that the drivers have to drive for a different team every race - the idea starts to show some merit. Add to that, by replacing points with medals (who could ever understand those numbers anyway) and throw in some random rain and snow storms and you've got a definate winner!

I'm pretty sure that that would get us back pretty close to the original ideal of Formula 1 racing.

Koz
17th March 2011, 18:58
At first glance I must admit that I didn't like the idea. But if you build upon it - by say - mandating that the drivers have to drive for a different team every race - the idea starts to show some merit. Add to that, by replacing points with medals (who could ever understand those numbers anyway) and throw in some random rain and snow storms and you've got a definate winner!

I'm pretty sure that that would get us back pretty close to the original ideal of Formula 1 racing.

I would really like to know what you have been smoking. :)

UltimateDanGTR
17th March 2011, 19:03
I would really like to know what you have been smoking. :)

the same as Bernie and Stuart, clearly.

Garry Walker
17th March 2011, 19:25

Discuss.

:rotflmao:

People have spoken. Your idea was met with the kind of contempt it so throughly deserved.

Garry Walker
17th March 2011, 19:27

Wonderful ideas. I would also add this idea - Dump qualifying, Starting grid for the race should be made by picking numbers from hat, it would add the kind of spice to the show that us real racing fans have been wanting for for so long.

Sonic
17th March 2011, 22:30

True dat.

Bullet
19th March 2011, 23:01

Yes! Yes! Add a style championship... best drift, highest and longest air over the curbs, coolest hand gesture at lapped traffic... An oil slick button and bean bag cannon would also give us the authentic F1 experience ;)

Ari
20th March 2011, 05:43
Wow does this idea suck!

Mark
20th March 2011, 09:25
I think Stuart has had enough of a kicking now :p

F1boat
20th March 2011, 09:59
I don't like the idea... the people before me explained very well why it would not work.

scaliwag
20th March 2011, 11:13
What others have said - the development race through the season is half the fun.

I can see this rule coming in though in the near future - from the same prats that brought us frozen engines and control tyres after all.

The obsession with cost-cutting will be the death of this sport (as a sport), it's most of the way there already.

The idea would work only as long as Ferrari have the fastest car, in the event they don't expect an immediate U turn by Berni/Todt, we should all remember the result of the engine reg's, I think it went something like this, X many engines per season and no upgrades, that reg lasted until Ferrari was blowing motors, at that point they were given an engine upgrade waiver.

Regards scaliwag.

Ari
21st March 2011, 03:19
I think Stuart has had enough of a kicking now :p

No no dammit! He's on the ground, let's kick him some more!!!! ;)

Retro Formula 1
21st March 2011, 09:11
The idea would work only as long as Ferrari have the fastest car, in the event they don't expect an immediate U turn by Berni/Todt, we should all remember the result of the engine reg's, I think it went something like this, X many engines per season and no upgrades, that reg lasted until Ferrari was blowing motors, at that point they were given an engine upgrade waiver.

Regards scaliwag.

I think the problem is that the FIA have very stringent rules that can never be violiated unless it suits them. It's not just Ferrari but when McLaren, Toyota etc manage to make their engine more reliable and as a consequense, more efficient whereas Renault are allowed to have a couple of free catchup sessions when there is a development freeze on.

You can only innovate when it suits the FIA.

scaliwag
21st March 2011, 11:52
I think the problem is that the FIA have very stringent rules that can never be violiated unless it suits them. It's not just Ferrari but when McLaren, Toyota etc manage to make their engine more reliable and as a consequense, more efficient whereas Renault are allowed to have a couple of free catchup sessions when there is a development freeze on.

You can only innovate when it suits the FIA.

Hi skc, my post was slightly tongue in cheek, however you are of course correct. FIA rules are only adhered to when it suites certain teams to keep the status quo.

By the way do you remember if the Renault waiver came before or after the Ferrari waiver?

Regards scaliwag

Garry Walker
23rd March 2011, 21:03
No no dammit! He's on the ground, let's kick him some more!!!! ;)

The idea he proposed was so monstrously stupid that every kick he takes while on ground, he will have deserved tenfold :D

SGWilko
24th March 2011, 09:08
The idea he proposed was so monstrously stupid that every kick he takes while on ground, he will have deserved tenfold :D

Garry - change your ID to DCI Gene Hunt....... ;)

wedge
24th March 2011, 12:12

They still getting extra BHP from the exhaust via acoustics

Garry Walker
24th March 2011, 21:42
Garry - change your ID to DCI Gene Hunt....... ;)

Having no idea who that is and now having read about him, well, I be damned :D