PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Randy Bernard

Brad Erman
2nd March 2011, 01:38
Hopefully nothing but continuing to build on the momentum he's already achived at the helm of IMS. But, if TG were to force him out or make life difficult, do we become rodeo fans or encourage Mr. Bernard to revive and lead a CART-like series? Yes it would mean more war and probably no winners but I'd throw in with the relentless promotor Bernard, Cottman, DP-01s... and no king. I have no appetite for more war but I think I'd prefer war over another TG reign. And yes it is personal with me.

Chris R
2nd March 2011, 13:17
War is not an option - there is hardly anything left to fight for... If TG takes over again, the only "viable" course of action is to let him ruin it all for good and start from scratch when he has finally made even Indy irrelevant..... (and yes, that can happen).....

Chamoo
2nd March 2011, 14:35
War is not an option - there is hardly anything left to fight for... If TG takes over again, the only "viable" course of action is to let him ruin it all for good and start from scratch when he has finally made even Indy irrelevant..... (and yes, that can happen).....

War would probably surprisingly destroy Indycar racing sooner than TG could do it.

Chris R
2nd March 2011, 14:47
War would probably surprisingly destroy Indycar racing sooner than TG could do it.

true - but then nobody holds the higher ground to rebuild - if this goes to h in a handbasket this time then the only good solution will be a clean slate..... IMHO (not that I have any real expertise )

Chamoo
2nd March 2011, 15:29
true - but then nobody holds the higher ground to rebuild - if this goes to h in a handbasket this time then the only good solution will be a clean slate..... IMHO (not that I have any real expertise )

I agree with you. However, I am sure Penske, Ganassi, the media in Indy that matters, and the management of the Izod Indycar Series (asides from the IHOJ Brian Barnhart) have been telling who ever they see that has importance (ie: anyone on the IMS board) to keep TG away from the series.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd March 2011, 16:11
Tony comes back, I am done. He had his kick at it. 15 years of stupidity on display for all to see, and he never failed to meet or exceed my expectations of him. I thought he was out of his mind in 93 when he first started threatening to start his own series, I thought he was out of his mind when he did it, I thought he was out of his mind when he basically screwed up any chance for CART teams to have meaningful participation, I thought he was out of his mind with the chassis formulae, the all oval format and his one lame marketing plan after another.

In short, this guy has proven over and over again he isn't fit to run anything in racing. I am sure he is a nice man, but the only thing he has accomplished on his own is spending way more of the Hulman family fortune than anyone in the family should have felt comfortable with. The fact they let him do it for so long says to me they must love the schmuck.

No, he comes back and has say over anything past what to cater to a private box in corner 2 and I am just giving up on this series.

NO war will happen, the IRL will implode as the last sane people run out of the building.

NaBUru38
4th March 2011, 18:35
Next for Randy:

o- Transitioning from ABC to NBC air television.
o- Attracting more North American kart drivers into the Road to Indy.

Now the usual track wishlist:
o- Managing to run an oval race clockwise (now that is a serious gimmick).
o- Pulling the Las Vegas doubleheader: oval + Strip race (hey, it rhymes with "street"!)
o- Adding more "green" road courses (Road America, Watkins Glen), with a 500km race in one of them (the longest formula car road race in the world).
o- Showing IndyCar in Asia and Oceania, for example with exhibition races and coupled with the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup and/or V8 Supercars.

nigelred5
6th March 2011, 01:55
ummm, tires.

bugeyedgomer
7th March 2011, 01:28
read about nascars fun on NBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_on_NBC

Scotty G.
7th March 2011, 03:05
He better worry about finding a tire manufacturer, making sure his teams have the money to buy equipment, figuring out how to make a few people watch the races and actually building a new car (which still hasn't gotten started).

Lets slow down on the Randy bandwagon a bit....he still hasn't really done a whole lot.

And lets quit the Robin Miller conspiracy theory stuff...TG needs a job and needs some cash. He also knows Randy is doing some good things (or at least trying to do some good things). He wants to make sure IMS is around for another 100 years. He needs a viable ICS to ensure that. TG is no dummy, no matter what some of you might think. And if Randy is the right man to get it done, then he will leave him alone. TG never felt the leaders in CART were the right men. And he was proven right. They weren't.

garyshell
7th March 2011, 03:24
TG is no dummy, no matter what some of you might think. And if Randy is the right man to get it done, then he will leave him alone. TG never felt the leaders in CART were the right men. And he was proven right. They weren't.

Let's hope he realizes that he was proven to be the wrong man to have been in charge.

Gary

nigelred5
7th March 2011, 03:30
read about nascars fun on NBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_on_NBC

Well, one could start with the $2.48 billion contract they signed for the rights to HALF a season of broadcasts. That was crazy money back then. They had to pay the bills somehow.

NBC also wasn't redneck enough for the NASCAR fans. I won't disagree the FOX coverage wasn't overall better, but viewers went from half a season of boogity boogity boogity, over the top and in your face syle of racing coverage to Alan Bestwick and Wally Dallenbach. That was one hell of a change, and I like both of them, just not together. NASCAR viewership always falls off in the second half of the season no matter what network has the coverage, but the announcers didn't help. It wasn't becaue NBC wasn't promoting or trying. They did improve.

Regardless of what family of networks covers Indycars, it NEEDS to be the same Family, not split between two competetors. NBC also won't be the same NBC that covered NASCAR.

bugeyedgomer
8th March 2011, 14:18
C^RT ; Eating Scotty's lunch for 33 years:::LULZ::::

Chris R
8th March 2011, 15:09
Tony actions more or less made the opinion that the guys running CART weren't the right ones come true.... I mean come on - just because the terrorists brought down the World Trade Center does not mean the architect of the building was incompetent (it may have highlighted the design flaws in the building - but it doesn't mean the building wouldn't have stood just fine for many many years to come.....) Now, before anyone gets all up in arms - I am in no way inferring that TG is a terrorist or in any way similar to those people - just that his initial actions in forming the IRL were far more determinate in the outcome than the actions of the CART leaders at that time..... Ultimately, he had a choice and he would have been far better off today if he had not formed the IRL - he would have more cash in his pocket and AOWR would be better off (perhaps not in NASCAR territory - but it wouldn't be digging out of a hole....)....

bugeyedgomer
8th March 2011, 15:48
now Chris everyone knows how horrible things were under C^RT; I mean the stands were full making traffic horrible and those 9.5 nielsen for Indy meant we couldnt have Indy all to ourselves and they even had the audacity to have more than 9 days during the month of May

nigelred5
8th March 2011, 16:16
.....and when several of those same owners that he revolted against cashed out and then came begging at the door to race in "his" series in 99-2000, all was justified right?? Leave Indy in CART and the IRL wouldn't have made it two seasons.

Chris R
8th March 2011, 18:39
This is neither the time nor the thread to bring the war back for all to comment on again.
fair enough - my apologies for my role in that.....

Jag_Warrior
9th March 2011, 11:40
TG is no dummy, no matter what some of you might think.

I believe that the facts confirm that he actually is. :dozey:

ShiftingGears
9th March 2011, 11:59
I believe that the facts confirm that he actually is. :dozey:

:up: :up:

anthonyvop
9th March 2011, 19:05
What's next for Randy Bernard?

How about getting on top of this whole Tire Supplier Fiasco!!! When the teams are banding together to do his job it ain't good.

Don Capps
9th March 2011, 20:10
This is neither the time nor the thread to bring the war back for all to comment on again.

As legend has it about what the 9th Infantry Division major said regarding Ben Tre in February 1968, it might be necessary for Randy Bernard to destroy IndyCar -- or at least what little there is left of it -- in order to save it.

Tony George and his enablers made the same basic mistake and ended up in much the same situation as E.V. Rickenbacker (better known as Eddie Rickenbacher during his racing days) and company did -- a broken series supporting the annual International 500 Mile Sweepstakes race. Although there is not grass growing on the track yet, it might be unreasonable to suggest that the market value of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway itself is probably not what it once was several years ago.

Simply by hosting an annual event on Memorial Day weekend along with the NASCAR event and the various other events now run there, would probably provide the Hulman-George clan with a respectable revenue stream, especially without the burden of having to support the remnants of Formula Tony. It could be suggested that the Speedway does not need to own the series that only only visits once a year, rather that it would be beneficial to the series to simply contract part that out to someone else, much as was the case when CART raced at the Speedway.

I could be further suggested that given the current and looming problems of IndyCar that the Speedway could actually run the Memorial Day weekend race as an independent event, a race not necessarily tethered to any particular series. That this could have resulted in most of not all of the designs reviewed by the ironically-titled "Iconic" committee actually particiapting in the race might be a leap too far, but it sould be food for thought.

If the current IndyCar series died at the end of this season, it would not be the end of the world. The tides would not halt their daily ebbing and flowing, the Sun would still be there, as would mornings and evenings, life would continue. There would not be a general weeping and wailing, no gnashing of teeth, no wearing of sackcloth and the scattering of ashes as a sign of grief. Indeed, very few would even note its passing. However, even if IndyCar were to fold, to die, to be terminated, it is a safe bet that there would be someone or a group thinking that he or they could do better and step to front make the attempt to shift the paradigm in search of success.

As sufficient time has now passed to enable historians to begin to take a good look at the evolution of and then the consequences of the actions that Tony George took, it appears that history will not be kind to Tony George or his enablers.

BDunnell
9th March 2011, 21:31
I could be further suggested that given the current and looming problems of IndyCar that the Speedway could actually run the Memorial Day weekend race as an independent event, a race not necessarily tethered to any particular series. That this could have resulted in most of not all of the designs reviewed by the ironically-titled "Iconic" committee actually particiapting in the race might be a leap too far, but it sould be food for thought.

Well, Le Mans has certainly managed to do pretty much that for many years.

DBell
10th March 2011, 20:03
Looks like one of the things that's next is a version of NASCAR's lucky dog rule, if Cavin correct. Yeesh!

Mark in Oshawa
13th March 2011, 00:01
What's next is Randy keeps bailing and hopes he can save this thing. I give it 2 years. IN two years, the IRL is either DEAD, and the Indy 500 is much like LeMans, a stand alone affair, or the series is much stronger.

As for speculating on Tony, why bother? With the exception of maybe 4 people on this board, most agree he is about the dumbest businessman to go near racing in some time, and that takes some doing....good riddance...

Brad Erman
15th March 2011, 02:13
"As for speculating on Tony, why bother? With the exception of maybe 4 people on this board, most agree he is about the dumbest businessman to go near racing in some time, and that takes some doing....good riddance..."

My concern is that 4 (heck ONE!) is too many... And good riddance is a nice thought but no longer reality.

bugeyedgomer
17th March 2011, 21:13
As you might have read, Honda is preparing special engines and Dallara is setting up two chassis for a special run at Indy. Will this accomplish anything other than hightlighting the difference in speed between this hyped setup and the regulation cars

garyshell
17th March 2011, 21:30
As you might have read, Honda is preparing special engines and Dallara is setting up two chassis for a special run at Indy. Will this accomplish anything other than hightlighting the difference in speed between this hyped setup and the regulation cars

Always be hating, right? Maybe it to some it might showcase what is to come in 2012. But then that sort of thinking wouldn't fit your agenda of peeing on everything Indycar says or does, now would it?

Gary

bugeyedgomer
17th March 2011, 22:44
Always be hating, right? Maybe it to some it might showcase what is to come in 2012. But then that sort of thinking wouldn\\\'t fit your agenda of peeing on everything Indycar says or does, now would it?

Gary

I wouldnt pee on anything indycar if it was on fire.

so are you saying they are going to have 850hp engines when they arrive

px400r
18th March 2011, 10:34
Always be hating, right? Maybe it to some it might showcase what is to come in 2012. But then that sort of thinking wouldn't fit your agenda of peeing on everything Indycar says or does, now would it?

Gary

Or would you rather he drink the kool-aid?

chuck34
18th March 2011, 11:36
Or would you rather he drink the kool-aid?

I would be nice if he was balanced, neither peeing on everything, nor drinking the kool-aid. But what can you expect with a name like that? As soon as I saw his name, I pretty well tuned out.

Chris R
18th March 2011, 12:17
What's next for Randy Bernard?

How about getting on top of this whole Tire Supplier Fiasco!!! When the teams are banding together to do his job it ain't good.

Mission accomplished.... might not be the ideal solution (i.e. paying tire supplier) but it is one everyone can live with and move on from... kudos to Randy - TG (and a good many of the CART head honchos) would likely have let this fester until there was no good solution.....

Chris R
18th March 2011, 12:23

umm, sure, it will be interesting.... I think most people know racing at 250mph would be absolutely crazy but if you can set up the current car to run a 240+/- lap (i.e. new lap record) just for the fun of it, I think that is pretty darn COOL myself.... If they play it right and have a recording of Tom Carnegie say "and a new track record" when it is done there won't be a dry eye in the house and nobody will think anything about the difference between the record car and the "normal" car..... heck it wasn't that long ago people built "record" cars just to run a couple of hot laps.... Last but not least , if they do it right I thin they stand a chance of setting a closed course lap record (240 right?) nobody complained when Foyt took his hopped up Coyote to Talladega or when Penske took his Porsche 917/30 there of Foyt took his Aerotech/March to Texas World.... none were "legal" race cars... If they are really doing this and going for a record of some sort I say woo hoo - bring it on...... Doing it at a place that matters (Indy), where there are actually some people to watch, press to cover it, and doing it with a car that closely resembles what they actually race is brilliant.....

bugeyedgomer
18th March 2011, 15:46
kudos to Randy - TG (and a good many of the CART head honchos) would likely have let this fester until there was no good solution.....

as you well know but are loathe to admit, Randy was reportedly traveling the world looking for a replacement as the CART owners were talking to Firestone.

Chris R
18th March 2011, 16:18
this is not a matter of truth -it is opinion - none of us know the "real" facts.... anyhow, you think TG would have accepted what the owners came up with? Do you think CART management would have wrapped it up so quickly?? I am not saying Randy did the work (maybe he did, I don't know) - but he did recognize a good solution when it was presented and went with it... that is a pretty rare thing in aowr in recent years..... and often good leadership is not only coming up with a solution on your own (or believing that only you can solve the problem), it is letting the people in your organization, at whatever level they happen to be, come up with good solutions and to show your support for them by adopting their solutions when you see they are good.....

Dr. Krogshöj
18th March 2011, 17:10
Finding oval tracks should be on the list. With Road America and Houston probably arriving in 2012 and Motegi being dropped we could get too far away from the desired 50-50 balance.

bugeyedgomer
18th March 2011, 17:54
At one time, prior to the visions, NHR could get two million dollars for a bumper sticker ad on its cars. now some people crow about somebody getting six figures for a whole car for the whole season.

They were smart enough to let the family burn through $600 million for no apparent benefit

and you were the one who brought C^RT into the conversation

garyshell
19th March 2011, 15:57
Randy wants Zanardi to apply for one of the seats in the Vegas race. (Let's see if bugeyedgomer pees on this.)

http://www.racer.com/indianapolis-star-indycar-wants-zanardi-to-file-for-vegas-race-entry/article/198734/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

Come on Pineapple, race again in the states!! We miss you here!

Gary

chuck34
21st March 2011, 13:48
Randy wants Zanardi to apply for one of the seats in the Vegas race. (Let's see if bugeyedgomer pees on this.)

http://www.racer.com/indianapolis-star-indycar-wants-zanardi-to-file-for-vegas-race-entry/article/198734/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

Come on Pineapple, race again in the states!! We miss you here!

Gary

There was a nice article in the Indy Star this weekend about that (can't remember if it was yesterday or Sat.) Zanardi originally thought Randy wasn't really serious. Some quotes from Dario. He's hoping that Alex does it, but is worried about Alex's shoulders being too broad now.

Boy I hope that he does it, that would be Awesome!

**** now that I read the article, it seems to be a wattered down version of the Indy Star article. Don't know if that is on-line or not. ****