PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.

EavesFan09
27th February 2011, 10:59
I am a total newbie. I just caught the start of the WSB race at Philip Island on Eurosport 2 and decided to continue for the first half and I was mightilly impressed. Even though I do not ride a bike I found the racing very attack-minded. Especially at the top of the field.

The beauty of TV coverage is you can follow the progress of the season and all forms are available to me. MotoGP (BBC), British Superbikes (ITV) and World Superbikes (Eurosport). I am thinking seriously about following two wheeled racing as well as four wheeled racing.

But which one is best? It seems you have the most recognisable names like Hayden, Biaggi and Corser with the WSB's.

Rod Richardson
27th February 2011, 21:40
Welcome to the world of road racing.

In a nutshell, the Moto GP series is considered to be the premier series of motorcycle racing which is for prototype machines and runs single races for Moto Gp Class 800 cc bikes and for Moto 2 Class bikes which, to keep the cost down, use various chassis but Honda 600cc engines.

The World Superbike Series (WSBK) is for street machines with several modifications and has two races per day for the 1000cc bikes and one for 600cc Supersport bikes. They also run Superstock races for 1000cc and 600cc bikes that are closer to street bike specifications.

The British Superbike Series (BSB) is for bikes of similar specification to WSBK bikes and is considered to be the “feeder” series for WSBK.

Irish Road Racing is in a class of its own and uses public roads through towns and countryside for racing bikes in various categories. Riders in this series are considered as being as hairy-chested as they come.

If you want an idea of what a white-knuckled ride is like, jump on You Tube and watch some “on board” video of road racing.

Here’s one of Guy Martin with a commentary on a lap of the Isle of the Man TT course. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI

TV coverage of all series is usually excellent particularly in Europe so do yourself a favour and print out a copy of the 2011 Combined Motorcycle Racing Calendar in the “Sticky” section of the forum page for bikes. links to the series’ websites are also included.

For the thoroughbred armchair or bike-riding fan or enthusiast, each of the above-mentioned series generally provides terrific entertainment therefore you’ll have no excuse for having a boring weekend throughout the race season.

EavesFan09
28th February 2011, 08:53
Thanks Rod. So they all have good points. WSB's are closer to road machines (albeit with a few modifications) and seem more powerful using 1000cc machines. The BSB's is similar and provides talent for the WSB's. But MotoGP is the higest level.

Yeah, though I do not ride and am a strong car driver and enthusiast, something in me is able to be won over easily an in an instant by good bike racing because it happened yesterday. I switched on and didn't want to switch over. I don't know even where this thing in me comes from. Perhaps a healthy respect for the Ducatti's and Kawasaki's of this world. But nowadays bike racing can win over anyone. The likes of Lafferty in the WSB's and Rossi in the MotoGP are excellent riders with so much talent and ability. Bike racing is great now.

Again thanks for the help.

MrJan
28th February 2011, 09:06
A really simplified way to think of it is that MotoGP is F1, Moto2 is F3000 (or whatever they call it now, is it GP2?) and Superbikes is touring cars.

I don't think that MotoGP is as exciting as it used to be but it's still pretty exciting. Road racing is the most amazing though, those boys are a completely different breed.

EavesFan09
1st March 2011, 10:57
Just thought of a question. Does it matter which bike your on? Is Kawasaki a better bike than say an Aprilla? It is just for a rider on make of bike that as far as I know has no works entry this year Checa was very dominant on his Ducatti. Also, it seems to make a difference what car you drive in say F1. It is always the same teams doing strongly. That does not seem the case in WSB.

Corny
5th March 2011, 08:17
Just thought of a question. Does it matter which bike your on? Is Kawasaki a better bike than say an Aprilla? It is just for a rider on make of bike that as far as I know has no works entry this year Checa was very dominant on his Ducatti. Also, it seems to make a difference what car you drive in say F1. It is always the same teams doing strongly. That does not seem the case in WSB.

I dont think that there's so much difference in the bikes' qualities.. Every bike has been developed for million of dollars/euros and tons of hours. Sure there's little difference, but the best teams will always be able to choose the best riders as well. For example: Don't think the Yamaha has been that much better latest years than the Honda, but they have had the 2 best riders in the world. That's why they were so dominant

But for me, MotoGP is far better than other classes. You should hear the sound of the bikes, simply amazing. Best riders also.

Wim_Impreza
5th March 2011, 09:40
I dont think that there's so much difference in the bikes' qualities.. Every bike has been developed for million of dollars/euros and tons of hours. Sure there's little difference, but the best teams will always be able to choose the best riders as well. For example: Don't think the Yamaha has been that much better latest years than the Honda, but they have had the 2 best riders in the world. That's why they were so dominant

But for me, MotoGP is far better than other classes. You should hear the sound of the bikes, simply amazing. Best riders also.

And what do you say about the (boring) races and the field which isn't a World Championship worth?

Not agree with the best riders in MotoGP: Biaggi, Checa, Haslam... are much better than let's say Barbera, Bautista and Abraham.

Corny
5th March 2011, 09:54
Haha Wim je moet mij altijd wel hebben he:P

OK, WSBK's races might be better, but they have 30 (?) races in total. Much more risk to take for the riders, much more chance of having a good race.

I don't believe Checa and Haslam will do any better in MotoGP than Barbera now. OK, Biaggi different story..

NinjaMaster
7th March 2011, 13:14
And what do you say about the (boring) races and the field which isn't a World Championship worth?

Not agree with the best riders in MotoGP: Biaggi, Checa, Haslam... are much better than let's say Barbera, Bautista and Abraham.

The MotoGP races have been disappointingly prosessional for the last few years but it's cyclical, they'll come good sooner or later. It wasn't that long ago that world superbike were in a similar position. MotoGP also definately does have the best riders. Rossi, Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Spies, Dovi, Simoncelli for starters are all better than the best WSB has to offer. As for Biaggi, Checa and Haslam, I'm far from convinced they would do a better job in MotoGP than Barbera, Bautista or Abraham.

Overall, each has their different pros and cons. I enjoy both equally on tv and probably World Superbike a bit more in live action due to the more relaxed and enthusiast based 'feel' of the event.

larantuka
5th April 2011, 03:49

You may be right Biaggi is much better than those young riders in motogp, but who would want to give him a ride? :p :