PDA

View Full Version : Three More To Go

rkalevich
23rd February 2011, 17:51
We are at seventeen races. If you could add three more to get to twenty for the year which ones. Here are my picks

Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport
Michigan International Speedway
Road America Elkhart Lake

MDS
23rd February 2011, 21:09
Actually we're at 16 confirmed events for next year with Motegi gone if everything remains status quo, but I don't think things will. Motegi will likely be replaced with a domestic oval, potentially Phoenix or California but technically its four more to go. Motegi's current weekend would be a good fit for California.

Everything points to adding a date next year to bring the number to 18, but it costs an existing race team about $250,000 to do one race. Given the cost of new equipment they're going to go slowly when it comes to new events. I don't think Michigan is a serious contender, Nashville isn't likely to be one either without Firestone's support, Cleveland and Houston both need a title sponsor. A lot of it depends on what the new sponsors what. If Chevy wants to bring back the Detroit Grand Prix that's what will likely happen. If Lotus wants a race at Cleveland, or Honda wants to move the date from Mid-Ohio to Cleveland that's what will happen.

A lot of things are in flux right now for 2012, but I'd bet on one more date, two new venues, and a Chevy Grand Prix at a street course near you, especially if you live in Baltimore.

billiaml
25th February 2011, 21:10
We are at seventeen races. If you could add three more to get to twenty for the year which ones. Here are my picks

Excellent choices -- and not just because I live @ 30 minutes away from Cleveland. Okay, mostly because I live @ 30 minutes from Cleveland,....

uncommonsense52
26th February 2011, 00:18
Laguna Seca
Cleveland Airport
Elkhart Lake

elan 02
26th February 2011, 02:44
I'll bit,I don't have any cents either. I will agree with your three tracks. Someday I want to see Indycar at Fontana

FIAT1
26th February 2011, 14:10
]Laguna Seca
Cleveland Airport
Elkhart Lake

Agree! THE BEST!

DavePI2
27th February 2011, 12:49
Great choices. I will admit that cleveland is number 1 with me and it is because I live a little over one hour from there. Michigan isn't far either. Would love too see the "The Roar By The Sore" return.

david

DanicaFan
27th February 2011, 17:20
Pretty easy..

Richmond International Raceway
Chicagoland Speedway

Don Capps
27th February 2011, 17:22
I have long wondered about the "more is better" syndrome which seems to affect so many when it comes to racing. The IndyCar Series would probably be well-advised to attempt to hold about a dozen or well-supported, well-organized, and well-attended events rather than continuing to stretch itself thin and continue its slide into obscurity and oblivion. Personally, I do not see the series getting all that much healthier in the coming years given the long demonstrated propensity to flounder and stumble when it comes to anything outside the Memorial Day race at Indianapolis. Adding more events will do nothing to help the series which can scarcely support the races it already has, with several of them being very questionable.

NYHF
13th March 2011, 07:05
1 - Cleveland
2 - Cleveland
3 - Cleveland

And no, I don't live in or near Cleveland.

nigelred5
13th March 2011, 17:44
Road America
Cleveland (Though I could just as easily swap Cleveland for Mid America)
Michigan- Best 2 mile track anywhere IMHO.

maximilian
14th March 2011, 12:37
Innocent question, would Sebring make a good venue for IndyCar?

One more thing: how about running IndyCar at Daytona?

And yes, I live in Florida *blush*...

booger
14th March 2011, 19:12
The scuttle I hear is that IC may alternate the Milwaukee event with Road America every other year. Two great tracks, unfortunately they are too close to each other (65mi) to make marketing sense in a small market. So alternating events might be the best for both and that would keep the events fresh without competing with each other for fans who may only attend one race a year.

anthonyvop
15th March 2011, 04:49
Innocent question, would Sebring make a good venue for IndyCar?

One more thing: how about running IndyCar at Daytona?

And yes, I live in Florida *blush*...

Sebring is a great track but a bit rough for IndyCars. They have tested on the full, long course and said it was ok but it was just testing. Also Sebring is in the Middle of nowhere. Yes they will have 100K + this weekend for the 12 hours but it is a combination of the type of racing and a traditional pilgrimage.

Sebring doesn't have the Hotel's, restaurants and other infrastructure needed for IndyCar and their sponsors. Not to mention it is about 2hour drive from any major city(Orlando, Tampa or Miami)

Daytona is an ISC track.....good luck with that.

MAX_THRUST
16th March 2011, 22:52

spot on

bblocker68
17th March 2011, 17:27
Looks like the majority is in agreement, here.

Laguna Seca is a great track, but the racing has never been spectacular, except for that Alessandro guy, who provided the greatest pass in racing history there. I'm afraid I would prefer Phoenix and Portland over Laguna Seca.

* I will miss Watkins Glen, too.

mike15
18th March 2011, 16:10
Cleveland Burke Front
Indianapolis F1 Track.

Mightyreds
25th March 2011, 17:08
Road America, make this a marathon.
Cleveland
Laguna Seca
move Toronto to Mosport