PDA

View Full Version : $5 mil challenge is on Sunday, Nascar racing on Saturday night in Charlotte

disko
22nd February 2011, 19:19
Do you think there will be anyone thats going to bite on this? $5 mil is a lot of prime rib.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2011, 19:27
I doubt it. To win both races in one day would take a lot of strength first off, and then luck and two really good race cars over 1100 miles. I think if you put the money up to 50 million you still wouldn't have anyone seriously thinking they could do it...

disko
22nd February 2011, 19:46
nascar is racing saturday @ charlotte, indycar at vegas on sunday. Any driver from another series that can win will get 5 mil.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2011, 19:50
Oh, this is a different Double.....ok, my bad. I think it would be fun for someone to try, but as I said, someone has to agree they will attempt it....and no one is stepping up. Only a Cup Regular I think would try it....

Lee Roy
22nd February 2011, 19:55
Is it true that only drivers approved by Randy Bernard can compete for this $5M?

Lousada
22nd February 2011, 20:09
Is it true that only drivers approved by Randy Bernard can compete for this $5M?

Sort of:

“We’re going to reserve the right to invite five drivers and we’ll set up a panel to select them,” said Bernard. “I’m told they’d have a much better chance to win at this track than Indianapolis.”
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-bernard-sets-5m-las-vegas-challenge
If invite means "paid for" then this could have succes.

Andrewmcm
22nd February 2011, 21:21
I read that as being as many drivers as possible from other series can enter, but they'll hand-pick five drivers to invite to have a go.

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd February 2011, 22:16
Problem: IndyCar wants to stage its season finale in Las Vegas but wants to avoid racing in front of empty stands. Tony's solution: let's stage the race on a mickey mouse temporary circuit in the speedway's car park. Randy's solution: let's give a free ticket to everyone who buys a ticket for any 2011 IndyCar race. That pretty much sums up what got IndyCar to its current state and why it is on the rise...

DBell
22nd February 2011, 22:21
Interesting promotional idea, but it's hard to see anyone other than a former indycar driver like Hornish, Gordon or J. Andretti taking part in this. Nascar guys will be in the chase at that time. And what are they going to drive? If the regular teams can't beat Ganassi or Penske on the ovals, what chance does a guest driver have at accomplishing this.

I'd rather see them put 5 million for the championship winner or increase the purses for the races with it. But then they would really have to spend it. They know they won't have to spend it for this promotion.

MAX_THRUST
22nd February 2011, 22:39
It doesn't say they have to win both races and it doesn't say it ha to be a NASCAR driver does it???

So two questions
1) will we see an F1 driver?
2) does this de-value the current drivers as not being considered to be big enough stars?

SarahFan
22nd February 2011, 22:49
I think it's wonderful

GRW1983
22nd February 2011, 23:44
It doesn't say they have to win both races and it doesn't say it ha to be a NASCAR driver does it???

So two questions
1) will we see an F1 driver?
2) does this de-value the current drivers as not being considered to be big enough stars?

Not a 2011 F1 driver as the Korean Grand Prix is the 16th of October. Although, maybe this could be an interesting comeback race for Robert Kubica!!! (only joking)
As for your second question, I think it does de-value them a little bit, but I just see this as a way of enticing some more American drivers into the race, from either NASCAR, Indy Lights, GP3, USAC, etc.

Chamoo
23rd February 2011, 01:06
If Joey Hand doesn't race this season with this proposed Bam-Foyt Racing team as is rumored, I could see him stepping up with Rahal-Lanigan-Letterman. They have the personnel and the car.

What about a guy like Buddy Rice?

Ganassi could enter both Montoya and Jamie McMurray, while Penske could easily enter Kurt Busch in his hometown, along with Sam Hornish Jr.

If this is the last race of the current engine/chassis spec, I would think Honda would have little problem practically giving away engine leases for this race as they do not need to rebuild them afterward, and any team with a chassis will be looking to get one more kick at the can.

Lee Roy
23rd February 2011, 02:11
Maybe IICS should try something different. Hold the race in an exotic place like Hawaii and double that $5M to $10M.

Oh yeah, that's right, that bit of desperation has already been tried.

elan 02
23rd February 2011, 02:14
Scott Pruett,Ryan Dalzeil,Memo Gidley, Max Papis,Darren Manning, Seabass, A few of these guys would have me buying tickets!

SarahFan
23rd February 2011, 04:43
Leeroy hates it must be a good idea

I am evil Homer
23rd February 2011, 10:39
I'd love an F1 driver to come over but it's not going to happen, esp not if there's no crossover between manufacturers etc.

Chris R
23rd February 2011, 13:43
I am guessing nobody jumps at it, and if they do it will be people with limited promotional value... I think the world of the drivers elan 02 just mentioned - but does anyone else care??

Is the Chase on yet at that time?? If it is, getting a decent driver who didn't make the chase should be doable.... I would think Trevor Bayne would be a good candidate at this point since he is not running a full season..... I could see Penske putting Kurt Busch in a car for the good of the order - same with Ganassi and Juan Pablo (probably the only guy who could pull it off...). Tom Kirstensen might be a good possibility... Scott Pruett could do it to - although the last two probably don't have a lot of draw.... It'll be interesting - but it could be egg on the face if it doesn't work out..... Kimi Raikkonen would be AWESOME......

I am evil Homer
23rd February 2011, 15:39
Totally forgot about Montoya...he'd be fantastic.

billiaml
23rd February 2011, 15:49
Hmmm .. In order for it to work, it would have to be an established team running an extra car in one series or the other. Since Penske & Ganassi both have teams in both series, they seem like logical possibilities. Of course, Tony Stewart still has friends in the IICS so, if he brings sponsorship -- and he probably can -- he may be able to convince Foyt or someone to provide the car.

Whoever it is, though, would need some seat time between now & then. Since we're talking about winning -- and not just participating.

I am evil Homer
23rd February 2011, 17:01
A quuck driver is a quick driver. Put Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel in a Ganassi or Penske and they'd be on the pace come race day. But then it's not going to attract that calibre of driver sadly.

garyshell
23rd February 2011, 20:41
A quuck driver is a quick driver. Put Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel in a Ganassi or Penske and they'd be on the pace come race day. But then it's not going to attract that calibre of driver sadly.

On an OVAL? Especially a smaller one like Las Vegas? I'd take that wager, there is no way any of them would be on pace. They are all three great drivers, but have never so much as turned a wheel on an oval. Not saying they could not eventually get up to pace, but not in one weekend.

But you are right, we'll never see this.

Gary

garyshell
23rd February 2011, 20:45
Totally forgot about Montoya...he'd be fantastic.

Yep! He and Ganassi would be NUTS if they didn't try this. With $5 million on the table and the cars being obsolete after the checkers fall, why not go for it?
The more I think of it the more I think this is very LIKELY to happen.

Gary

SarahFan
23rd February 2011, 23:16
History proves you wrong Gary ....all three of those guys would be a legitimate threat in a equally prepared penske or TCGR car

garyshell
23rd February 2011, 23:28
History proves you wrong Gary ....all three of those guys would be a legitimate threat in a equally prepared penske or TCGR car

What history? They have never been on an oval track in this type of car (if at all). I am not taking anything away from any of them. They are all three great drivers. But it would take more than a two practice sessions and a qualifying run, to compete on an oval. Now if we were talking road course, I would agree 100%. Wasn't to Schummie who made some comment a few years ago at Indy during the F1 race that he would not ever want to try the full oval? Wish I could remember his exact quote. But he was giving props to the oval drivers when he said it, as I recall.

Gary

Anubis
24th February 2011, 00:20

I don't doubt they'd be quick, but I tend to agree it would take more than one event. Granted it was a different era, but Mansell took a few races to get fully bedded in on the ovals. As opposed to embedded in them, which he did at Phoenix!

As for Montoya, I was going to say "they'd have to fit him in the car first", but that would probably be unfair.

Chris R
24th February 2011, 02:04
I suspect in the current Indycar on the "cookie cutter" las vegas oval that any of the previously mentioned driver would be capable of winning the first time out in the proper car... I am not saying they will - but it is not that far fetched......

chuck34
24th February 2011, 12:58
As for Montoya, I was going to say "they'd have to fit him in the car first", but that would probably be unfair.

Same goes for Tony Stewart ... although he did look a bit "slimmer" at Daytona, a sign of him getting ready????

Chris R
24th February 2011, 13:06
Given the amount of time, the amount of money and the fact that both are professional athletes who presumably have the ability to invest the time, effort, and money it would take to do such things, I suspect both Juan and YTony could easily be fit in the Indycar by the time they need to if necessary.... It is not like either one of them are a fat as me (and honestly, if you told me I could drive a Ganassi car in the Las Vegas race at the end of the season, I'd find a way to lose the weight and be in shape by then too!!!)...

ooo, and I just thought - if Juan does it, can you see him showing up at the Indycar shop in a Target commercial with a Snipe in a bag?? "ok guys, I have been all over the world and I finally found a Snipe, can I have my car back???" now that would be wroth it right there....!!!

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 14:18
If Randy wants a top level NASCAR star he might want to reconsider his $5M chump-chage offer.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/23/nascar-highest-paid-drivers-business-sports-nascar-11.html

Such is life for Nascar's most popular driver eight years running and the scion of the seven-time Sprint Cup champ known as the Intimidator. Despite his lack of success in recent years on the track, Dale Earnhardt Jr. remains Nascar's highest-paid driver, earning $29 million in 2010.

Hendrick teammate Jeff Gordon follows Earnhardt in the Nascar money standings with earnings of $25 million last year. DuPont ( DD - news - people ), which has sponsored Gordon's car for 18 years, cut back its commitment this year to 14 races, but the AARP Foundation picked up 22 races to promote its Drive to End Hunger campaign. Gordon partner Pepsi ( PEP - news - people ) will be the primary sponsor for two races for the No. 24 car. Gordon has racked up $117 million in race winnings during his career.

It is a clean sweep for Hendrick at the top with five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson, the third-highest-paid driver at $24 million. In its collecting of high-priced talent, Hendrick is like the New York Yankees of Nascar. 2010 is the third year in a row that the team has boasted the three highest-paid drivers in the sport. Furthermore, Kasey Kahne, No. 8 on our highest-paid list, will join the squad next year, replacing 52-year old Mark Martin in the No. 5 car.

I am evil Homer
24th February 2011, 14:33
Really? You might want to consider something callled basic math then because going by the figures you supplied Dale Jr earns Approx £1.12m per regular season race, so you think the opportunity to potentially earn more than 300% more for one race win isn't attractive?

I'd say that makes the likelihood of JPM or Stewart wanting to take part pretty high

garyshell
24th February 2011, 15:23
ooo, and I just thought - if Juan does it, can you see him showing up at the Indycar shop in a Target commercial with a Snipe in a bag?? "ok guys, I have been all over the world and I finally found a Snipe, can I have my car back???" now that would be wroth it right there....!!!

Someone quick call Target, I think you have the makings of a commercial! Might even convince Jimmy Vasser to put in a cameo apperance on that.

Gary

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 18:20
Really? You might want to consider something callled basic math then because going by the figures you supplied Dale Jr earns Approx £1.12m per regular season race, so you think the opportunity to potentially earn more than 300% more for one race win isn't attractive?

Sorry, but the majority of the money that most of the NASCAR drivers are making isn't paid "per race". Try again.

garyshell
24th February 2011, 18:37

I'd say that makes the likelihood of JPM or Stewart wanting to take part pretty high

Sorry, but the majority of the money that most of the NASCAR drivers are making isn't paid "per race". Try again.

Who said it was paid "per race". Clearly the point was that his AVERAGE take per race is $1.12 million per race and would stand to triple that amount if he were to win. Not that he would stand a ghost of a chance. Now Jeff Gordon would be another story, he'd certainly have a better chance at this than Jr. But even to Jeff, $5 million for two practice sessions, a qualifying run and a race is hardly what you called "chump change". There may be lots of other considerations involved, but the bounty is NOT an obstacle. Try again.

Gary

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 18:52
Who said it was paid "per race". Clearly the point was that his AVERAGE take per race is $1.12 million per race and would stand to triple that amount if he were to win. Not that he would stand a ghost of a chance. Now Jeff Gordon would be another story, he'd certainly have a better chance at this than Jr. But even to Jeff, $5 million for two practice sessions, a qualifying run and a race is hardly what you called "chump change". There may be lots of other considerations involved, but the bounty is NOT an obstacle. Try again.

Gary

What the top NASCAR drivers make is made year after year after year. It adds up to a lot of money over a career. To take a chance on losing this type of 8 digit annual income by getting hurt in a race (a race that by the way, is so pathetic that the series is already planning on giving away tickets to try to get people to attend) that you probably couldn't win without being in a Team Penske or Team Ganassi car for chance at a mere $5M is silly.

The desperation for attention that Indy Car is showing with this silly stunt is breathtaking.

[edit] BTW, most of the money that top NASCAR racers recive toward that 8 digit income comes through personal sponsorship, not taken per race. Check the prize money, even if they won every race, their average take wouldn't be anywhere near that amount.

dataman1
24th February 2011, 18:57
If any of the NASCAR drivers mentioned so far are not in the chase at the time, they would pick up significant press if they gave it a try. Keeping your face in the public eye is important so while the normal NASCAR fan is looking at chase drivers, why not take a shot at putting your face on the front of USA Today holding a 5 mil check.

The biggest limiting factor for most of these guys is what their wife has to say about it.

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 19:08
Keeping your face in the public eye is important . . . . .

On Versus????????? The last two or three Indy Car races of the 2010 season didn't even register on Nielson.

They'll get more attention winning a NASCAR race than they would winning this race with it's bounty.

chuck34
24th February 2011, 19:13
On Versus????????? The last two or three Indy Car races of the 2010 season didn't even register on Nielson.

They'll get more attention winning a NASCAR race than they would winning this race with it's bounty.

You think that if Jeff Gordon or Jr did this that Versus would be the ONLY media outlet covering it?

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 19:19
You think that if Jeff Gordon or Jr did this that Versus would be the ONLY media outlet covering it?

You're right, I guess SpeedTV would be also. It might even land them a guest spot on Wind Tunnel.

chuck34
24th February 2011, 19:38
You're right, I guess SpeedTV would be also. It might even land them a guest spot on Wind Tunnel.

Wow, you're so positive and upbeat. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your NASCAR is everything point of view. Now do you want to explain to me why I see NASCAR guys at the Daytona 24 hour race, or weekly dirt tracks, etc? I mean they must be getting suitcases full of cash to show up to those, right?

Lee Roy
24th February 2011, 19:49
Now do you want to explain to me why I see NASCAR guys at the Daytona 24 hour race, . . .

Off season.

or weekly dirt tracks,

Something they have experience with and you don't have to spend the weekend there.

anthonyvop
24th February 2011, 20:18
Now do you want to explain to me why I see NASCAR guys at the Daytona 24 hour race,

The 24 Hours of Daytona is a Grand-Am event
Grand-Am is owned and managed by NASCAR.

The NASCAR drivers who participate in the 24 hours of Daytona do so because of sponsor(NASCAR) commitments.

Mr. Mister
24th February 2011, 22:18
So here's what I'm wondering...

It's the last race of the year. Assume they get some attention and momentum, well, what's the week after? A NASCAR race with those NASCAR guys who may have run, but nothing for the people who tune in, say "this is pretty cool, I'd like to see more INDYCAR." By the time INDYCAR comes back (with the end and beginning of NASCAR season in the middle of their off-season), any new viewers for the Vegas race will have forgotten what they saw in the sport.

And that's with a lot of assumptions. As a racing fan, I think this is very cool, but thinking big picture growing the sport, I really just see this as free press and not much else. Still, rather see Bernard try and miss the mark than do nothing like George liked to do.

Steve-o
25th February 2011, 04:25
I agree that 5m is a boatload of cake, but will a driver be able to get a top, competetive ride? Will a Hornish/Montoya/Robby Gordon/Tony Stewart get in a "B" ride?

http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2011/02/2011-indycar-finale-to-be-held-in-veas.html

Quotes from Bernard.

chuck34
25th February 2011, 12:58
Off season.

If one of the "top" drivers doesn't make the chase, then this would basically be their off season too.

Something they have experience with and you don't have to spend the weekend there.

$5 million makes up for a lot of lost sleep, and plane rides.

chuck34
25th February 2011, 13:00
The 24 Hours of Daytona is a Grand-Am event
Grand-Am is owned and managed by NASCAR.

You honestly think NASCAR is somehow forcing these guys to run the 24 hour event?

The NASCAR drivers who participate in the 24 hours of Daytona do so because of sponsor(NASCAR) commitments.

Yeah the amount of exposure that a sponsor would get from the Daytona 24 would be sooooo much more than from this event.

anthonyvop
25th February 2011, 14:28
You honestly think NASCAR is somehow forcing these guys to run the 24 hour event?

I don't think they do....I KNOW they do.
NASCAR and their sponsorship deals pretty much do that. It is called a contract. Driver's sign it and they have to abide by it. The Gainsco deal is a perfect example. Gainsco's deal to stay in the Grand-Am includes getting Jimmie Johnson to run the 24 hours. J.J. doesn't mind because he makes some nice change.

Yeah the amount of exposure that a sponsor would get from the Daytona 24 would be sooooo much more than from this event.
Gainsco and Target got a lot more exposure because of their NASCAR drivers in the 24.

Just Google Gainsco and NASCAR and see for yourself.

OH And haven't you noticed how NASCAR drivers seem to drive in the Grand-Am yet never seem to show up at a ALMS, Rally, World Challenge, ICS or any other of a myriad of non-oval races?

chuck34
25th February 2011, 15:30
I don't think they do....I KNOW they do.
NASCAR and their sponsorship deals pretty much do that. It is called a contract. Driver's sign it and they have to abide by it. The Gainsco deal is a perfect example. Gainsco's deal to stay in the Grand-Am includes getting Jimmie Johnson to run the 24 hours.

So Gainsco being in Grand-Am has everything to do with Jimmie Johnson/Lowe's, and nothing to do with Bob Stallings? interesting. And the way I've heard it is that the driver wants to race in the event, so they ask their sponsor if they want to help out. Plus, I didn't see Bass Pro Shops on Jamie McMurry's car. I didn't see Best Buy on 'Dinger's car. Or, for that matter, a Lowe's sticker on the 99. So it's not all driven by the sponsors.

J.J. doesn't mind because he makes some nice change.

I seem to remember something about $5million being tossed around in this thread. Does Jimmy get more than that for running the 24 hours?

Gainsco and Target got a lot more exposure because of their NASCAR drivers in the 24.

Just as any sponsor would get a lot more exposure for having a car at the Indy race in Vegas, running for a chance at $5million. Thanks for proving my point.

OH And haven't you noticed how NASCAR drivers seem to drive in the Grand-Am yet never seem to show up at a ALMS, Rally, World Challenge, ICS or any other of a myriad of non-oval races?

I've seen NASCAR guys racing lots of stuff; late models, sprints, midgets, off road, etc.

Chris R
25th February 2011, 16:19
I gotta go with Anthony on this one - NASCAR drivers tend to do other series that somehow benefit NASCAR.... NASCAR owns Grand-Am - if GrandAm is ever going to succeed they NEED the Cup drivers to participate to bring any attention to the event at all.... I am not sure what the deal with Gainsco is , but my guess is that they have enough$$ to really help out Grand AM but not enough $$ to help out cup - so somehow NASCAR is throwing them a bone for their loyalty... As for the drivers, who wouldn't want to drive in the 24 hors of Daytona? The cars are pretty easy, the speed are slow enough to be pretty safe, it is kind of cool event, it gives the driver more street cred than just driving cup cars in a circle AND is keep the big boss happy.... I would imagine most do it for free for all of the above reasons.....

anthonyvop
25th February 2011, 16:30
So Gainsco being in Grand-Am has everything to do with Jimmie Johnson/Lowe's, and nothing to do with Bob Stallings? interesting. And the way I've heard it is that the driver wants to race in the event, so they ask their sponsor if they want to help out. Plus, I didn't see Bass Pro Shops on Jamie McMurry's car. I didn't see Best Buy on 'Dinger's car. Or, for that matter, a Lowe's sticker on the 99. So it's not all driven by the sponsors.

Many Sponsor deals are for particular series alone. Listen...I know for a fact that part of Gainsco/Grand-Am deal is having the Sprint Cup Champion or another of Stalling's choice in their car for the 24.

I seem to remember something about $5million being tossed around in this thread. Does Jimmy get more than that for running the 24 hours?

Don't be silly

Just as any sponsor would get a lot more exposure for having a car at the Indy race in Vegas, running for a chance at $5million. Thanks for proving my point.

I wasn't arguing that point. You can argue if the ROI for a NASCAR sponsor is worth the Las Vegas deal.

I've seen NASCAR guys racing lots of stuff; late models, sprints, midgets, off road, etc.

Please read the whole sentence.......I said non-oval!
Minor, oval series just plays into the NASCAR Demo. When was the last time a name NASCAR driver drove in the ALMS, World, Challenge, ICS or Rally?

chuck34
25th February 2011, 18:11
Many Sponsor deals are for particular series alone. Listen...I know for a fact that part of Gainsco/Grand-Am deal is having the Sprint Cup Champion or another of Stalling's choice in their car for the 24.

Ok, I'll just take your word for it then because everything I read on the 'net is fact, right?

Don't be silly

How am I being silly? The argument being made was that no NASCAR guy would do anything for a measly $5 million. Then you say that JJ gets nice money for the 24 hours. For both of those things to be true, then JJ must get more than $5million.

I wasn't arguing that point. You can argue if the ROI for a NASCAR sponsor is worth the Las Vegas deal.

The number of viewers for the Vegas race and the 24 hours will probably be on par with each other. If a "big name" NASCAR guy runs at Vegas, the viewership (and therefore ROI) would go up significantly.

Please read the whole sentence.......I said non-oval!
Minor, oval series just plays into the NASCAR Demo. When was the last time a name NASCAR driver drove in the ALMS, World, Challenge, ICS or Rally?

Please read my whoe sentence .... I said off-road. Robby Gordon and Jimmy Johnson have both done off road races. And let me know why someone who runs an all oval series would go do a bunch of road course racing anyway? It doesn't work the other way 'round. You don't see F1 guys running ovals in their spare time.

Lee Roy
25th February 2011, 18:32
How am I being silly? The argument being made was that no NASCAR guy would do anything for a measly $5 million. Then you say that JJ gets nice money for the 24 hours. For both of those things to be true, then JJ must get more than $5million.

Refer to it as a chance at $5M.

Randy should try guaranteeing $5M.

FIAT1
26th February 2011, 14:34
Onother chance for Penske and Ganassi to take it all. They can easy set up onother car on the last race with any x F1 or old Indy-cart driver. Better solution would be to split money like 1 mil for road champ onother mil for oval champ and 2 extra mil for championship. Last mil I would devide to 16 races and give it as bonus to racers who make most passes in the single race . This would invite better teams and drivers to Indycar and it would be interesting for new fans and media. My opinion.

Chris R
26th February 2011, 17:20
not a bad idea -better yet, buy some good TV time..... thing is, it is NOT a $5million expense - it is probably some sort of insurance policy..... a legal bet of sorts....

px400r
26th February 2011, 19:13
All it shows is that the powers that be care only about one race in May than they do the rest of the series.

anthonyvop
26th February 2011, 20:01
All it shows is that the powers that be care only about one race in May than they do the rest of the series.

Well.......DUH!!!

They only care about the race in May so much that they Created a Series for it. Named the series after where the race in May is run and have parlayed that into mediocre TV ratings and declining attendance.

Of course if you dare question it you are branded a hater and a idiot!!!

Jag_Warrior
26th February 2011, 21:52
According to what was on Speed, Juan Pablo Montoya said that it was unlikely that he'd participate in this.

chuck34
28th February 2011, 12:36

Yeah, it shows that they only care about that race. So much so that they are trying to give a boost to a race that isn't in May by offering a $5million bonus, and driving up interest and coverage for that race that isn't in May. Hmmmm ... those sneeky "powers".

SarahFan
28th February 2011, 14:51
According to what was on Speed, Juan Pablo Montoya said that it was unlikely that he'd participate in this.

Which means the insurance policy is probably 1/2 what is would be with him running

SarahFan
28th February 2011, 14:52
It will be interesting to see who the panel offers rides too......

Anyone want to speculate on WHEN the offers will be extended

Dr. Krogshöj
28th February 2011, 16:17
If NASCAR has a race on Saturday, how can the guest drivers participate in practice and qualifying for the Indy race?

nigelred5
28th February 2011, 17:58
substitute driver?

Am I correct in saying the car still technically qualifies in Indycars, not the driver? At least they have time zones in their favor as well.

nigelred5
28th February 2011, 18:09
They do run the risk of NO ONE taking them up on the offer. That certainly would tell me something. probably be just as good to say, here, we'll pay driver X 5 million to run the season. Ther's plenty of fairly name regulars out of full time rides in NASCAR. Rick hendrick as got to be tired of dale Jr by now. C'mon junior, lemme see if you can at least match Milka's time. :)

Mark in Oshawa
2nd March 2011, 16:24
I cant see too many big NASCAR names taking a run at it. If they are in the chase, they aint running OW.

No...this one has to play out, but I think this is PR exercise with not much legs unless someone decides to give it a go, and I know no NASCAR team owner will risk his star in this venture if he has a shot at a Sprint Cup Title. So MAYBE someone who doens't make the chase or is doing badly in the chase may have a shot, but of course, this cant be a last minute decision...or can it?

Time will tell

AS for LeeRoy thinking it is a bad idea, of course he thinks it is a bad idea, he has had a hate on for Indycars, CART and the like since the split. Lee Roy my friends is one of the lost fans of the war......and it is all the Lee Roy's out there that need to be convinced that this is legit; and I suspect he isn't buying what is being sold here.....and to a point, neither am I.

harvick#1
2nd March 2011, 17:30
an IRL driver is not gonna win a top Nascar event in their first try. the only guys that have a shot would be Montoya, Stewart, or Jeff Gordon (if he wanted to run the event)

SarahFan
13th March 2011, 17:59
James Stewart!?!?!

That's interesting...

Question for the class (or EE)....

How much time/testing would it take to make is safe for him to run? How much ???

Mad_Hatter
13th March 2011, 21:26
I follow motocross here and there when I can. James Stewart has been known to both go 10/10ths all the time and to crash himself and others out quite often. Given some real time/commitment he might be able to run well. Still though, I'm not sure about this one...

He could probably raise the ratings a half tick though, which I'm sure is the object here.

garyshell
13th March 2011, 22:25
I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that James Stewart get one of the invites. Has he ever driven ANYTHING with four wheels in any sort of competition?

Gary

SarahFan
13th March 2011, 22:44
Seems to me' if the whole point is to increase interest tapping into a completely different genre of actual race fans then James Stewart would seem a perfect choice

garyshell
13th March 2011, 22:53
Seems to me' if the whole point is to increase interest tapping into a completely different genre of actual race fans then James Stewart would seem a perfect choice

Ken, I agree he would be a good choice. But only if he has ever driven a four wheeled vehicle in a competitive situation, and could pass a rookie test. But since as far as I can tell he has never done the first, I'd be very surprised if he gets a chance to do the second.

Gary

SarahFan
14th March 2011, 01:11
Which of coarse leads to the obvious question...

How much testing would it take And how much cash would it cost?

garyshell
14th March 2011, 02:34
http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2011/03/12/supercross-star-happy-to-try-indy-cars/

According to Curt in the link above the only thing he has driven with four wheels are shifter carts. That might help answer your question. But I have no clue how much it might take to transition in with those credentials.

Gary

SarahFan
14th March 2011, 18:26
Milka
Dr Jack
Marty Roth

do I really need to continue? To suggest James Stewart is questionable is laughable IMO

garyshell
14th March 2011, 18:43
Milka
Dr Jack
Marty Roth

do I really need to continue? To suggest James Stewart is questionable is laughable IMO

Oh hell, there are a lot of others who never should have turned a wheel that we could drag into that conversation. You'll get no argument with me on any of 'em. And trust me I certainly would not lump James Stewart into that same pile. My only point was he's a total unknown quantity when it comes to four wheeled vehicles, no more, no less. And I didn't expect that any invites would go out to unknown quantities. If he had the time and opportunity to take a rookie test prior to the invites being sent, he might very well get one. I'd love to see it. (Both the test and the invite.)

Gary

SarahFan
19th March 2011, 16:04
If you believe everything you read on the Internet it sounds like Randy has extended an invitation to Alex Zanardi

Jag_Warrior
19th March 2011, 17:25
A few things strike me about this: 1) Since the $5 mil only goes to a non-IRL driver for the win, and only Penske, Ganassi and Andretti cars have won oval races for a long time, I don't see a big name driver doing it unless he can get in a ride prepped by one of those teams - otherwise, why bother? 2) Since we all realize this is a PR stunt, the IRL needs bigger name drivers to make it work - but only a few bigger name drivers have any experience in these cars/types of cars, so they'd need some major practice or testing to prepare. 3) There are those drivers with close associations to other OEM's, so they're not going to/can't drive a Honda powered car, or so I assume. I'm sure Kyle Busch and Joey Logano are in that camp.

With that said, who are some of the people we think are more likely to give this a shot??? I can think of four so far: A.J. Allmendinger, Jacques Villeneuve, John Andretti and Scott Speed. I could also throw Nelson Piquet, Jr. in there, but I don't know how he feels about American open wheel. I'm not saying any of them will. But that's just who I see as more likely than say, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Kevin Harvick, or any NASCAR driver who is likely to be in The Chase.

But IMO, if they REALLY wanted this to work, instead of offering to give these guys what is basically a lottery ticket, they'd offer some guaranteed "show money" to certain big name drivers. To see Kimi Raikkonen vs Paul Tracy vs Jacques Villeneuve vs Juan Montoya, I'd kiss Roseanne Barr square on the lips just to get a ticket for the nosebleed section. To me, that would be a MUST SEE race!

SarahFan
19th March 2011, 17:33
Zanardi would be a huge story on many levels...

As has been discussed I think James Stewart taps a racing market that would move the ratings needle a tick... So another solid choice

Can't see any top name NASCAR guys accepting ..... But I'd extend Jimmie Johnson just because it would garner a headline

Montoya has gannassi ties and would likely double the insurance premium so he won't get an invite

It will interesting to see who gets the invites who accepts and who fields cars for them

Jag_Warrior
19th March 2011, 18:12
My guess is it'll be second and third tier NASCAR drivers, if any do it. Juan has already said that he's not interested. I think Tony Stewart gave it a thumbs down as well, but I can't remember what he said exactly.

And yeah, I left Zanardi off my fantasy list. I'd love to see him do it too! Let me fix my list: Kimi Raikkonen vs Paul Tracy vs Jacques Villeneuve vs Juan Montoya vs Alex Zanardi.

To see all those guys race, I'd kiss Roseanne Barr on the lips and fight Mike Tyson (uh, after the race... no point in watching the race from the hospital getting stitched up and getting a lip transplant).