PDA

View Full Version : Stop...

Rollo
21st February 2011, 23:03
I'm a little bit older than Mrs Rollo, so when I was given this task I came up with a different answer.
If asked to complete the song lyrics with the single word of "Stop" we both got:

Stop... children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. (me)

Stop... right now. Thank you very much. I need somebody with a human touch. (her)

Obviously there must be more, and already I've thought of two more. So I want to know, is it possible to guess someone's age by how they complete the lyric?

AndySpeed
21st February 2011, 23:15
First song that springs into my mind is Apollo 440 Stop The Rock...

Does the sentence have to begin with Stop? I almost got some Don't Stop Movin....I'm not sure if I should have just admit that though.

Just to go back to your main point though. I don't suppose it is, because if you asked someone who frequently listens to the radio to name the first song with the single word "telephone" you may get the lyrics to Lady Gaga - Telephone as a potential answer.

You'd need the same conditions present for each potential person you asked - the same amount of time since they last listened to the radio etc. and even then you'd have to account for possible recent exposures to songs containing the word for the test. We haven't even considered cover versions of old songs yet...

Alexamateo
22nd February 2011, 00:15
I don't think you can tell anybody's age because of the two lyric examples you gave, one is from 1967 and the other from 1997, so unless you robbed the cradle and are 30 years older than Mrs Rollo, I think it just tells us that you two have different tastes in music.

Norwegian Blue
22nd February 2011, 01:09
1987... Stop, before, you tear me all apart, stop before you go and break my heart....

Anyone got '77 and '07? We could have a full house...

Wade91
22nd February 2011, 05:36
i'm not sure how many parts there are in songs that actually start with 'stop"'but i cant really think of any :\

i can think of plenty of lyrics though that contain the word 'stop' first one that comes to my mind is: dont stop make it pop DJ blow my speakers up tonight

i think defiantly possible in some cases to guess someones age based on what lyrics they come up with, but as other people in this thread have mentioned, there are other factors in play, but i think alot of people would automatically come to a assumption as to how old someone is based on what lyrics they come up with

Dave B
22nd February 2011, 07:34
...in the name of love.

Mark
22nd February 2011, 07:52
Hammer time.

This. In fact, you can't touch this.

Caroline
22nd February 2011, 10:54
Stop.....Oh yes, wait a minute Mr Postman

Maybe you can tell someone's age from their song, but perhaps being forced to listen to Radio 2 for the first 10 years of your life may also make you familiar with many, many easy listening faves.

schmenke
25th February 2011, 15:27
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around

billiaml
25th February 2011, 16:17
Looks like Dave B & I are on the same page "... in the name of love."

billiaml
25th February 2011, 16:20
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around

Lol -- I have the Concert for George streaming on another tab right now -- and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers are singing "Tax Man." Weird coincidence, eh?

Tazio
25th February 2011, 19:42
Stop playing with my delirium

Tazio
25th February 2011, 20:26
Remembered another:

Stop Whispering - Radiohead :)

Donney
26th February 2011, 11:12
Stop - Sam Brown

Stop if love me
(you will remember)