PDA

View Full Version : Champcar still going?

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 07:43
I was looking for some old Champcar results from 2000/2001 when I found the official website of the ChampCar World Series, which has been racing since 2008 and have a 2011 schedule with the new cars that were run in 2007. Does anyone know the whole history here, cos I think this series was dead but apparently it's very much alive with TV coverage?

Mark
21st February 2011, 08:52
This one then: http://champcar-ws.com/

Dr. Krogshöj
21st February 2011, 10:55
It must be some kind of a bad joke. Champ Car is dead and buried.

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 11:20
This one then: http://champcar-ws.com/

Thats the one. Whats up with that, say they're on speed channel and everything.

Mark
21st February 2011, 11:24
Looks like some fans wet dream?

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 11:32
The doubly weird thing is that when you look at the stats of the drivers on other websites (wikipedia or their own websites) nobody else mentions the series. But they have photos of race meetings, etc.

Mark
21st February 2011, 11:35
Wikipedia states that the ChampCar brand and history is now owned by IndyCar.

Mark
21st February 2011, 11:37
They have one of the drivers as Bruno Junqueira who raced in IndyCar in 2010!

It's all entirely made up :laugh:

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 11:52
Yeah, has to be, it's good mock up though, clearly those funny people who just happen to win the championship all the time have too much time on their hands.

What it is to try and claim glory...

Mark
21st February 2011, 11:57
Do I need to set up a pickem? :D

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 13:05
Ah, but then if they're on this forum somewhere they'll manage the results to win there too! :D

garyshell
21st February 2011, 17:05
Here is the little twit responsible for it:

http://champcar-ws.com/mark_plourde

He is using all sorts of copyrighted and trademarked logos and false claims of affiliation. Not to mention advertising non-existent event at real venues. I am surprised he hasn't already received a cease and desist order.

Gary

Mark
21st February 2011, 17:27
What a sado!

jwhite9185
21st February 2011, 17:58
Been around for years...

Bruce D
21st February 2011, 19:03
It's really sad that someone does that. I mean, sure run your own fantasy series on your pc, but to buy a website and then use it to create this whole false thing is really sad.

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 19:15
This website has been discussed on these boards before actually, and its become a bit of an internet joke amongst former champ car fans I gather. He didn't help himself when he cancelled last years fictitious Denver Grand Prix because of 'scheduling conflicts'. At least he got realism right I suppose!

Otto-Matic
21st February 2011, 20:02
Wow Mark Plourde is one of the most successfull CC drivers ever! even thou he looks like Greg Moore, if Greg had been stung by hive of bees!
you'd think he'd try to be at least a little humble and not make himself a living legend. Look at his "stats"

*won IndyLights championship in '92 (he would've been TEN YEARS OLD)
*won Atlantic title at 11 years old w
*broke into CC at age 13 ?!?! with Chip Ganassi!
*has won 6 CC Championships.
*Bought Pat Patrick's team after Pat retired and started MP Racing.

he's a regular Mario Andretti, right under our noses this whole time...Can you say Insecure Much?

nigelred5
21st February 2011, 23:29
Almost as good as the time the woman came on the Champcar boards looking for information about a guy chasing her daughter. The guy was busted lying about being a race driver. Had an entire site with a fictitous racing carreer and all that.

It's on the internet. It must be true.

Mr. Mister
22nd February 2011, 00:02
On the bright side, if Mark Plourde can get a lady friend, so can I.

DavePI2
22nd February 2011, 02:47
I wonder if Indycar realizes that champcar is also running at midohio the same weekend this year. Add ALMS into the schedule and it will be quite crowded. Now I wonder if Atlantics will run also along with Indylights that weekend.

F1boat
22nd February 2011, 06:51
hhaha,that's an absurd.

slorydn1
22nd February 2011, 09:17
I don't know about all this fake stuff-I always thought it was some kind of sad joke- but if you are seriously looking for past results and info on all major forms of motorsports Racing Reference seems to be the place to go. They do still have a champ car page buried under the "other races" tab and it takes you to this page here:

http://www.racing-reference.info/cart.htm

I find that, at least in the NASCAR section of it, that its pretty useful and accurate back to the mid 1970's, anyway. I haven't really take the time to look through the champ car stuff but it should be pretty accurate, anyway.

philipbain
22nd February 2011, 13:55
Although the fake Champ Car site is a tad tragic it just reminded me of how much I miss Champ Car. Indycar is ok and everything but those Dallaras are plain ugly, the Lola / Panoz Champ Cars looked great and it seems mad that the 2007 season Champ Cars are now running in the BOSS Series in the UK (a mainly ameteur series for old F1 / Champ Cars) when the "current" gen Indycars date back to the 2003 season, this season marks the 10th year with the same chassis - the new cars for 2012 can't come soon enough!!

nigelred5
22nd February 2011, 15:01
I still have mixed feelings realizing we're about to start our 4th season PC. Even with all the changes, this INDYCAR just doesn't have the same feeling as the CART version.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2011, 19:24
We are back under one roof, but there are a few of us who miss the old days. Oh well, Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.....

As for fake racing series sites, I guess this guy doesn't get out of his mother's basement too often and date women....

garyshell
22nd February 2011, 21:53
We are back under one roof, but there are a few of us who miss the old days. Oh well, Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.....

As for fake racing series sites, I guess this guy doesn't get out of his mother's basement too often and date women....

Look again, his WIFE is also listed as a driver in his made up series. But then again, maybe she is made up too.

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd February 2011, 22:01

The best cure for nostalgia is watching an old race every now and then. I found a channel on YouTube with 100+ old CART and Champ Car races from 2001 to 2005. See http://www.youtube.com/user/CrapwagonChampcarfan. Unfortunately, judging by the uploader's name, he's probably a member of a previously enthusiastic fansite which is nothing more than the gathering place of a few sick hatemongers now.

jimispeed
23rd February 2011, 06:30
The best cure for nostalgia is watching an old race every now and then. I found a channel on YouTube with 100+ old CART and Champ Car races from 2001 to 2005. See http://www.youtube.com/user/CrapwagonChampcarfan. Unfortunately, judging by the uploader's name, he's probably a member of a previously enthusiastic fansite which is nothing more than the gathering place of a few sick hatemongers now.

For me, I absolutely love watching CART/Champcar! Not because of the nostalgia, but because it was the best open wheel racing in the world! Some extremely exciting battles and rivalries through the years, and the cars were wicked fast drivers cars! I'm trying to keep quiet until next year. That seems to be the closest we will come to what once was...