PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

Alexamateo
20th February 2011, 16:07
Some thoughts going into the race:

Some may not like the two car packs, but it's broken up the big giant pack and made it more like it used to be. Only 12 cars were on the lead lap and that was with the free pass rule of today. Tony Stewart had a flat tire late yesterday, and was able to come back because he wasn't buried in the pack. FWIW, I think that's a good thing.

Tires are showing no wear at all. It's not inconceivable that a team could go the distance only changing tires once or twice, or maybe even not at all :eek: (although I don't think anyone would ever try that.)

Because of the broken up pack, there will most likely be no "big one", but there might be a lot of little ones, with the difference in closing speeds when drivers have to switch in order to keep their engines cool.

It promises to be an interesting race, I'm ready for it.

Let's go racing boys! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

DanicaFan
20th February 2011, 16:16
I am picking Kyle Busch to win this race.

slorydn1
20th February 2011, 16:18
Yeah, It's definitely going to be different. I do like the fact that it's more like it used to be. I'm just not so sure that I like the fact you have to rely on someone else to get you to victory lane. That said, that part is not much different than the way it was. Even in the big packs the winner was the one who had the best pusher.

It should be an interesting race. :beer:

TURN3
20th February 2011, 17:42
I can't figure out what there is to complain about. I really like the racing that is going on. I was never a fan of watching 35 cars in a line for 480 miles then watch who ended up in the most fortunate spot. True, you still need help but it has practically always been that way at Daytona. I think the racing this week has been great and I like the way it brings the past back.

Alexamateo
20th February 2011, 17:47
Yeah the pushing is the different part. I thought it was strange to hear Dale Jr. complain about not liking it, because to me he was the one to discover it. The first time I remember seeing it was the nationwide race in 2009 in Talladega with Jr. pushing Ryan Newman. The same two hooked up the next day, but moved to soon and Carl Edwards and Keselowski imitated it and ran them down.

slorydn1
20th February 2011, 18:30
race control says the drivers MUST maintain comm with their own spotter AT ALL TIMES after the cars have pulled out the track

Alexamateo
20th February 2011, 19:00
Looks like Harvick Blew up :(

TURN3
20th February 2011, 19:01
ECR engine up in flames...wonder if that is a sign. I figured those would be the engines to beat today.

Alexamateo
20th February 2011, 19:07
I was wrong, there's a big one.

Alfa Fan
20th February 2011, 19:41
**** Brian Vickers. There needs to be big penalties for that ****.

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 20:14
It has been an interesting and different race with the style of drafting going on. Watching for Denny Hamlin, through this point he's been out of the action.

TURN3
20th February 2011, 20:16
Another ECR engine...uh ohh.

djparky
20th February 2011, 20:18
I'd like anyone other than Dale Jnr to win- preferably Kyle Busch. Overall this has not been one of the more entertaining Daytona 500's- although admittedly with Jeff Gordon out of the running and Gibbs cars running way back there's been little for me to get that excited about

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 20:20
Bowyer and Menard must be sweating.....

Alfa Fan
20th February 2011, 20:58
Literally every time you americans go for commercials something happens and the caution comes out! Tell FOX to delay their ads by a minute!

call_me_andrew
20th February 2011, 21:34
The 150's were good, the shootout was good, but this race is boring, When the pace car leads the most laps, something is very wrong.

call_me_andrew
20th February 2011, 21:36
Love that thermal camera though.

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 21:47
the excitement in this race is still NO one knows who's going to win.

call_me_andrew
20th February 2011, 21:58
Today's blown engines are a fine example of how sudden changes in weather can hazardous for a carbureted engine.

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 22:02
down to it...

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 22:05
Newman-Hamlin looking good

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:10
Regan Smith leading a lap, what a fairytale it would be if he ended up winning

TURN3
20th February 2011, 22:12
Tony and Dale have to have some better sense than that. The track is blocked...back off. Just ruined a ton of a great race because of rookie like patience. I'll take Regan and Bayne any day.

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:13
Another yellow :arrows:

Surely not going to finish under yellow will it?

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 22:16
This will be a quality finish....they'll be a lead change.

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:20
If its a green-white-checker, i'll go for Edwards or Truex, but dont discount Kurt Busch. If he wins, will he be the first man to do the clean sweep? (winning the shootout, his duel race and the 500)

But I would love it if Ragan won it, he's been due a win for too long

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:23
Not again <facepalm>

call_me_andrew
20th February 2011, 22:23
Oh good, another GWC attempt. I was afraid the last 4 hours were going to be of some value.

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 22:28
Oh good, another GWC attempt. I was afraid the last 4 hours were going to be of some value.

Sorry more racing to be seen, oh the tragedy. Wow more racing. We don't need any more right? Guess it'd be better if we'd be waiting for the Cleveland Show

Alfa Fan
20th February 2011, 22:30
Trevor Bayne wins the 500!

TURN3
20th February 2011, 22:30
That is the coolest damn thing I have EVER seen in racing!!! Way to go man!

djarumdudley
20th February 2011, 22:31
Trevor Bayne!?

call_me_andrew
Holy crap, the Wood Brothers have won a race. I'll check the Weather Channel to see if it's snowing in Hell.

djarumdudley
wow

DazzlaF1
Trevor Bayne the winner, unbelieveable

Shame Ragan dropped away but wow, what a story

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:33
I dont know if im right but I think thats the first win for the Wood Brothers since the '96 all star race (or at least their biggest pay day since then)

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:36
1. Trevor Bayne - Wood Brothers Ford
2. Carl Edwards - Roush Ford
3. David Gilliland - Front Row Ford
4. Bobby Labonte - JTG Daugherty Toyota
5. Kurt Busch - Penske Dodge
6. Juan Pablo Montoya - Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet
7. Regan Smith - Furniture Row Chevrolet
8. Kyle Busch - Gibbs Toyota
9. Paul Menard - Childress - Chevrolet
10. Mark Martin - Hendrick Chevrolet

Great day for the Blue Oval, they've swept the podium

Anubis
20th February 2011, 22:37
Could probably make a clever comment about inexperience and Danica, but nah...pleased for the kid and all concerned in the team. Nice to see an underdog win it.

djarumdudley
yes. First since Sadler at Bristol '01

Tazio
Congrats to Trevor Bayne.
Somehow Montoya kept it together and scored 6th place points. He was very close to be taken out several times (and once of his own doing). Maybe his luck is changing! :confused: ;)

call_me_andrew
20th February 2011, 22:38
Sorry more racing to be seen, oh the tragedy. Wow more racing. We don't need any more right? Guess it'd be better if we'd be waiting for the Cleveland Show

I'm all for more racing, but not changing the paramaters of the race in progress.

slorydn1
20th February 2011, 22:38
Wow, Trevor Bayne? R u KIDDIN ME? Wow.....I'm stunned.....

gm99
20th February 2011, 22:40
Trevor Bayne wins the 500!

On the day after his 20th birthday, no less.

I am absolutely stunned by this.

The first rookie to win the Daytona 500 since...?

DanicaFan
20th February 2011, 22:52
Absolutely awesome, way to go Trevor Bayne!!!

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 22:54
On the day after his 20th birthday, no less.

I am absolutely stunned by this.

The first rookie to win the Daytona 500 since...?

...never, I dont think a rookie has ever won the Daytona 500 before.

Mr. Mister
20th February 2011, 23:01
What a race! What a victory! Isn't that why we watch stock car racing? For all the complaints, for all the races where it's the status quo at the front, those races that happen every once in a while, those big moments, those triumphs of small teams with underdog drivers...that justifies all those Sundays. Incredible to see a kid in his first 500 being pushed by a veteran in his nineteenth Great American race, between them two patient, smart drives and sharing the distinction as two of the nicest guys on the grid. A career born for Bayne, and a career revived for Labonte. I couldn't be more thrilled with how that one turned out!

nigelred5
20th February 2011, 23:01
WOW, That was amazing. Happy birthday in a BIG way. I'm glad to see the Wood Brothers back in Victory Lane.

Reminded me of the old days seeing that number 21 Wood brothers' car with a good ol' HolmanMoody Ford leading the field.

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 23:22
Apparently Bayne is only scheduled to run a half-season unless he can raise a bigger budget with the Wood Brothers team.

After today, forget budget worries, sponsors will probably be queuing up to back him now :laugh:

beachbum
20th February 2011, 23:42
Apparently Bayne is only scheduled to run a half-season unless he can raise a bigger budget with the Wood Brothers team.

After today, forget budget worries, sponsors will probably be queuing up to back him now :laugh: One would hope that is the case, but I wouldn't bet on it, which would be a shame. Sadly, in today's racing economy results don't always relate to dollars.

Bayne ran a near perfect race and deserved the win. He is certainly a class act as are the Woods brothers and that win has to be one of the best stories in racing in some time. His future should be bright, and I suspect he cemented his place in the Roush stable for years to come.

eastlmark
20th February 2011, 23:48
Absolutely awesome, way to go Trevor Bayne!!!

and to all at Wood brothers! great race....

....still shakin!

Will3
21st February 2011, 00:01
First thing, First post, second, I wont say i'm suprised to see Trevor Bayne in victory lane for a few reasons, first, I've watched him for 5 years since he was runnin for Dale Jr in the Hooters Pro Cup series, second, he has been fast all weekend, third fastest in Pole Qualifying and runnin good all through his duel until JG got loose in the last turn of the race and crashed him and Ragan. I wasn't necesserily expecting him to win but won't say I was suprised. Also, no points leader in the top three series is credited with a win I should add.

One would hope that is the case, but I wouldn't bet on it, which would be a shame. Sadly, in today's racing economy results don't always relate to dollars.

Who knows? You had Billboard on the Finch car, Golden Corral on the 36, Aamco and Red Line oil on the 46 and Discount Tire on the 2006 Evernham car Kesolowski Ran. Probably even more in there I didn't know about.

moonshine
21st February 2011, 00:04
Congratilations to Trevor and the Wood Bros.

Both are class acts.

harvick#1
21st February 2011, 00:36
its no surprise to me really with Bayne winning, he was a force in the Nationwide race and alot of drivers were comfortable with letting him push. I was very happy to see Trevor win and finally see that 21 back in victory lane.

but seriously, WTF NASCAR, F-U Helton, how in the hell can you penalize Ragan like that, that was total Bul, if that was any of the named drivers in the series, that is a clean start and maybe just a warning, but no, Ragan is up there and an instant black flag, what total crap.

but was so glad to see someone not from a major team win the biggest race, it was so great, and for B. Lab to be right up for the win also was pretty cool to see again

Bob Riebe
21st February 2011, 01:31
First Daytona I have watched in over a decade, well first five and last twenty five laps anyway, but I am glad I did.

Good to see the twenty one car win, one for Ford and shades of the Grey Ghost. As Pearson often did not run a full season, maybe the new kid is truly in his style.

nigelred5
21st February 2011, 01:32
They said that was the rule and was made very clear. He didn't hold his line until after the s/f. He was lined up outside and was clearly almost on hte double yellow way before the s/f. Yeah, the rule is brave seirra, but that was supposedly the rule this week.

Chris R
21st February 2011, 01:36
I am no NASCAR fan these days - but I enjoyed what i watched quite a lot - the first and last 20 or so.... great win, actually an unscripted fee-good story for once.....

Mr. Mister
21st February 2011, 02:25
Today, a lot is made of owners like Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi for having won Daytona and Indy. When the Wood Brothers first achieved that feat, Penske was two years shy of thirty, and Ganassi was still in elementary school. Fourty-five years later, they're still winning.

As a young fan, the only success I'd seen of the Woods was that Bristol win with Sadler in 2001, so it's really cool to be able to say I saw the Wood Brothers win Daytona and it wasn't on ESPN Classic/YouTube. ;)

Cool, too, to see a driver right around my age winning. Kid's a NASCAR winner and I'm just a student of economics. :D

ICWS
21st February 2011, 03:08
great win, actually an unscripted fee-good story for once.....

I think alot of us felt the same way about that... With the last 15 or so laps to go, when Earnhardt was starting to run with Stewart, I had a feeling that that would be around the time where Earnhardt, in a scripted scenario, would be heading towards the win. Unfortunately for him, he didn't even get to see the checkered flag.

In some ways, Bayne and the Wood Brothers winning the race has a more satisfying taste than the thought of Earnhardt winning, due to all the conspiracy theory -talking that preceded and that would've inevitably been brought up again after the race. I think Earnhardt will get a restrictor plate victory or two this year. He did a good job of staying out of trouble and finding his way to the front, until he was wrecked.

Also, I was happy to see Mark Martin finish in 10th place despite being involved in that 17-car accident earlier in the race and falling a lap down. This is a guy who probably knows that his chances of winning these big races and the championship are slim-to-none, yet he and his team stuck to it and kept charging to finish near the front, as if they are planning to contend for the championship.

Sparky1329
21st February 2011, 03:25
Wow, Trevor Bayne? R u KIDDIN ME? Wow.....I'm stunned.....

I'm tickled purple for the kid. He did a good job every time he was on the track. Very nice win for the Wood Brothers, too.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2011, 17:58
Well on a day when the Wood's show up with a car looking like Pearson's old 21, It brought back memories to the finish where Pearson and Petty wrecked coming into the Tri oval in 76. This didn't happen this time, and the kid did a great job.

That all said, it salvaged what was to me a dull 500. Too many yellows, not enough real racing. No one had tire issues, handling didn't really matter much....and yet they still wrecked a few race cars.

I don't know what the solution is other than time to weather in that asphalt. Then again, I cant say I didn't love the finish, even as a Jr. Fan. It was what it was, and the kid is a great story. Trevor Bayne obviously understands what he is doing out there.

As for Ragan, he screwed up. Almost any racing series on the planet dictates the leader of the race holds his line through to the line before blocking or moving around, and Ragan jumped out of the high lane to the low well before the start finish. No one can argue that NASCAR screwed this kid, he did it himself. Personally, I am thinking had Ragan not screwed up, Bayne, Edwards or maybe Labonte may have pulled it off, or maybe even Jr.

billiaml
22nd February 2011, 18:08
Good day for the Blue Oval Faithful :D

Steve-o
23rd February 2011, 04:10
What a remarkably grounded young man. On one hand, the kid gushes how shocked he was. Then he rolls out a level of maturity that is well beyond his 20 years. He peaks with humility as he allows God's will to shape his destiny.

http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2011/02/daytona-500-champ-trevor-bayne-god-isnt.html

wedge
23rd February 2011, 13:25
O

M

G

Trevor Bayne wins and becomes youngest ever winner, Wood Brothers back in victory lane - woot! woot!

As for the new tag team style drafting I just don't know to make of it. I looks so ludicrous and yet at the same time this new style of drafting intrigues me.

RaceTownUSA
26th February 2011, 20:43
It was impressive seeing that young man drive his way to victory! I was really hoping that Tony would pull it off this year, but he really fell off without having Dale Jr. up there to draft with. Those two have always worked well together.

Congrats to Trevor Bayne!