PDA

View Full Version : He's Back

anthonyvop
17th February 2011, 21:14
INDYCAR: Tony George Reinstated To H&C Board
SPEED.com has learned that George has been reinstated to the board of Hulman & Company that funds and administers IMS and the IndyCar Series series.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tony-george-reinstated-to-ims-board/

nigelred5
17th February 2011, 21:22
Typical of Tony. His resignation was another in what I'm sure has been a lifetime of temper tantrums by a spoiled rich kid. He probably didn't count on his sister hiring someone that was actually capable of showing what happens when there is a little competence involved. Guaranteed he had a "fine, let's see how well someone else does. You'll see how good I am at this" attitude when he walked out.

Mary's getting old and well, inheritance does come into play when managing family businesses. Maybe it's time to make nice to get his slice of the pie.

Showing his face will do nothing to keep what little trust in the series management and good will the series has earned from the other side of the war. The second he comes in and starts screwing $#iT up again, It's done.

Too bad the door didn't hit him on hte a$$

SarahFan
17th February 2011, 22:47
One step forward two steps back

Mr. Mister
17th February 2011, 22:59
There's nothing wrong with making sure your children are taken care of and making sure your business is taken care of, but usually, those two are best dealt with separately.

DBell
18th February 2011, 01:17
One step forward two steps back

It's the Indy Car way. Usually they strap hand grenades to their ankles for the two steps back.

The little seed of hope and anticipation for Indy Car that I've been nurturing for the last couple of months feels very threatened. If he comes back into running the series in any way, shape or form, I'm walking away and not looking back.

vintage
18th February 2011, 03:19
Everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm themselves.

glauistean
18th February 2011, 05:39
He has a secret tape and will release it if he doesn't get what he wants. Then he will have a Delta Wing, Panoz DP01 and three current F1 cars and drivers. Michael Schumacher can't wait to join and is at this moment in a meeting with Robin Miller, Tony (Anton) Brian B and some guy that owns a rodeo arena(sic). Michael wants 500 million for every race and demands that Damon Hill race also. He wants to win the 500 more than anything and will even race in meters instead of miles. That's the Indy 500 meters for MS but 5OO miles for everyone else. Plus he must have a one lap lead and if Jac V shows up well, he can race a 1977 Thunderbird. Oh, Danica ..... ah, never mind.

FIAT1
18th February 2011, 13:51
This year started with great news and now this. I'm sorry but this man reminds me of everything bad that went on with with a distraction of great sport as Indycar of 90s was. I can't be devoted Indy fan as long this amateur is involved in any way. This is not to start negative posting, just a fact that this dude makes me sick.

Dr. Krogshöj
18th February 2011, 14:02
I hope it's not the first step towards getting back to power and taking credit for everything Randy Bernard achieved. If it is, I'm done with IndyCar.

downtowndeco
18th February 2011, 15:09
Judging by past comments and stands certain posters have made & seeing thier (predictably) snide comments immediately show up in this thread must mean this is something good for Indycar. Welcome back Tony.

beachbum
18th February 2011, 15:11
Everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm themselves.Not likely. The "Debbie downers" are out in full force. Their greatest fear has come true as they always need a villain to attack.

downtowndeco
18th February 2011, 15:13
BTW. If I had a nickle for every time someone said "If (fill in the blank happens) I'm done with Indycar for good this time...." I'd be rich. If you like it watch it, if you don't, don't. Stop threatening though, it's starting to sound silly.

champcarray
18th February 2011, 16:30
There's nothing wrong with making sure your children are taken care of and making sure your business is taken care of, but usually, those two are best dealt with separately.
You've hit the nail on the head here. I certainly hope he stays out of IndyCar strategic and tactical decisions.

SarahFan
18th February 2011, 17:12
Funny stuff .... The usual suspect(s) continue to produce quality yuckles

Andrewmcm
18th February 2011, 17:23
Is it possible to have someone on a board but give them now power of vote or suchlike? Maybe that's what's going on here? Who knows!

garyshell
18th February 2011, 17:37
While I am not particularly happy to see his return, at least it was done in the form of an expanded board of directors (reducing his influence in the process) and that this is ONLY a seat on the board at this time. He has not been re-anointed as "king George" just yet. Somehow I have a sinking feeling however that it IS his intent since apparently he made overtures last year to try to buy the series with a group of investors.

If he sits there keeps his mouth shut and protects his (and his kids) inheritance, thats fine. If he becomes the supreme leader again the series is toast. He has already proven himself to be inept, witnessed not by our collective opinion but by his ouster at the hands of his own family.

Good old predictable downtowndeco may sing his praises, but his family sure as hell didn't.

Gary

MAX_THRUST
18th February 2011, 19:04
There was a reason why CART didn't want him making decisions and then the IRL got shot of him, so why take him back?

I hope he has learnt something people can change, but perhaps tony can't we'll see soon enough.

markabilly
20th February 2011, 05:37
Are you also looking for Bernie Madoff to come back and manage your portfolio?

:D

so why not, he made money for himself.....poor george can not even do that

Jag_Warrior
20th February 2011, 22:15
so why not, he made money for himself.....poor george can not even do that

Excellent point. It certainly takes a "particular" talent to lose money for EVERYBODY!

BTW. If I had a nickle for every time someone said "If (fill in the blank happens) I'm done with Indycar for good this time...." I'd be rich. If you like it watch it, if you don't, don't. Stop threatening though, it's starting to sound silly.

Considering the year over year "record" ratings for Indy, chances are, you might not have as many nickels as you think. ;)

garyshell
21st February 2011, 22:38
Curt Cavin pointed out today in his blog that Tony was given a seat on the Hulman & Co. board not the IMS Corp. board the two are separate entities. Not that this means he won't try to weasel his way onto the IMS board or use this position to try to influence that board.

Gary

nigelred5
21st February 2011, 23:31
Yeah, he's got just as much control over Clabber Girl as Indycar.

I swear, if he starts messing with my Baking Powder, I'm done with baking! ;)

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2011, 19:48
It is nice that the only job Tony can get is with the family business. If Tony George was half the genius Deco thinks he is, he would have had a real job working for someone else besides his mom and sisters.

This I think is an excuse to give Tony a little pocket cash. If they allow him to make a decision that actually affects the IRL or IMS, I would be shocked and dismayed.

This is a man who proved himself in racing..he proved he can blow money to no good effect better than just about any other leader in Racing History.

Jag_Warrior
22nd February 2011, 20:34
It is nice that the only job Tony can get is with the family business. If Tony George was half the genius Deco thinks he is, he would have had a real job working for someone else besides his mom and sisters.

Personally, I would ABSOLUTELY love to see him on Trump's Celebrity Apprentice. IMO, Tony would perfectly fit the words of the (regular season) guy who said of one of his competitors: “You couldn't get a job as an Oompa Loompa selling gobstoppers!”

But people are probably jumping to conclusions here. All being on the BoD's means is that Tony gets a stipend for attending meetings, a cushy chair at a big table and free coffee & donuts. The Board of Directors doesn't control the day to day operations at any (legitimate) company that I know of. The real power lies with the CEO, President and then the Chairman of the Board. And I haven't heard anything to suggest that Tony could get back any of those positions.

Jag_Warrior
22nd February 2011, 20:38
I don't know, Pook did a pretty good job with CART. What was it, a hundred Mill to finish them out in one year?

I'm still amazed that the SEC didn't get involved in that. But burning cash (allegedly) on purpose, to further a takeover, and doing it by accident (year after year after year), really are two different things. To its credit, for most of its life, CART at least knew what black ink looked like. The IRL has never seen anything but red ink.

DBell
24th February 2011, 23:29
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/robin-miller-indy-500-family-fued/P2

Robin had it right about TG's being kicked out of power with his inside sources. If he's right about what he states in this article, then it's back to dark ages for IndyCar. Apparently the new board members are TG's buddies.

garyshell
24th February 2011, 23:49
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/robin-miller-indy-500-family-fued/P2

Robin had it right about TG's being kicked out of power with his inside sources. If he's right about what he states in this article, then it's back to dark ages for IndyCar. Apparently the new board members are TG's buddies.

Yikes! That does not sound good. I had hoped that the additional folks would dilute "king" George's influence. Sounds like that is not the case.

Gary

nigelred5
25th February 2011, 00:23
There is no good for Indycar to come of this......................

beachbum
26th February 2011, 11:25
RM is such a ray of sunshine. He must now be the hero of those who want Indy Car to fail.

nigelred5
26th February 2011, 13:39
I certainly don't want indycar to fail, but most importantly I don't want Tony calling shots again. I've been living with a medling baseball team owner for almost 20 years now that wont let the pros manage his team and its been crap since he and his sons decided they knew how to run a team.

SarahFan
26th February 2011, 14:08
RM is such a ray of sunshine. He must now be the hero of those who want Indy Car to fail.

What's does robin have to do with it?

*classic blame the messenger post

garyshell
26th February 2011, 18:51
I certainly don't want indycar to fail, but most importantly I don't want Tony calling shots again. I've been living with a medling baseball team owner for almost 20 years now that wont let the pros manage his team and its been crap since he and his sons decided they knew how to run a team.

Sounds like the Cincinnati Bengals!

Gary

Jag_Warrior
26th February 2011, 21:50
Best to just wait and see how this plays out. The same destructive, reckless actions that got him kicked off the board the first time would likely get him kicked off again. So even though I don't believe Tony George is the sharpest tool in the shed, I do think he remembers what got him spanked. And I doubt he'll do that again. But I could be wrong.

They say family dynasties usually begin to fall apart by the second or third generation. Everybody knows about the Hiltons. I guess the Hulman-George clan is just another example.

nigelred5
28th February 2011, 17:53
soooo, how much is Indiana crude selling for these days? I hear the family has a new baby cash cow in the back yard to play with. They have been pimpin the pants off of Ethanol. Hey mom, Can we pump a little of that earl towards 33rd and georgetown?" Oh, the irony.

nigelred5
28th February 2011, 17:54
Sounds like the Cincinnati Bengals!

Gary

Maybe it has something to do with them both wearing the same team colors. 8)

mike15
28th February 2011, 19:08
Just when Indycar started to regain my interest with the 2012 changes, a possible set back is in the making with TG re-entering the family business.
Will they keep him out of IMS or will he be negotiating the sale of the IMS?

methanolHuffer
28th February 2011, 23:07
IMS will not be sold.

Complete speculation: Maybe the series would be attempted to be sold. (with a guaranteed use of IMS for a set price and a set time).

But I don't know of anyone unhappy about being too wealthy and wanting to go broke. Maybe Monte Brewster will buy the series.

mike15
1st March 2011, 17:08
Something will happen to IMS after the 100 year celebration.
Not sure what and it may all be speculation, but the timing may be right for a change.
Everything is for sale on the right terms.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd March 2011, 16:30
Best to just wait and see how this plays out. The same destructive, reckless actions that got him kicked off the board the first time would likely get him kicked off again. So even though I don't believe Tony George is the sharpest tool in the shed, I do think he remembers what got him spanked. And I doubt he'll do that again. But I could be wrong. .

He doesn't have a clue Jag. That is the problem. Tony felt the family did him wrong. He had a RIGHT to spend and waste their money because he was going to pull it out eventually. Honest, he has the finger on the pulse of racing fans...just ask him.

Never a more clueless individual has run anything in racing...except maybe Max Mosley.

They say family dynasties usually begin to fall apart by the second or third generation. Everybody knows about the Hiltons. I guess the Hulman-George clan is just another example.

This is definitive proof. The fact that Mari let this idiot do what he did for 15 years before pulling the plug says I have doubts on her sanity too...