PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Pre-Season Test @ Barcelona (18th, 19th, 20th, 21st February)

DazzlaF1
15th February 2011, 19:52
Well Barcelona is once again upon us, few things to look out for

1. Will Renault announce their replacement for Kubica or continue to trial Heidfeld and Senna
2. Will Red Bull show their true hand?
3. Will Lotus and Virgin continue their promising form from Jerez

Tazio
16th February 2011, 06:18
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/252759/pre-season-testing-2011-the-stats-so-far/

After Valencia and Jerez, the testing mileage leaderboard looks like this:

Ferrari
3,191.6 km / 1,983.2 mi / 748 laps

Red Bull
2,777.9 km / 1,744.8 mi / 652 laps

Force India
2,478.5 km / 1,540.0 mi / 591 laps

Mercedes
2,309.6 km / 1,435.1 mi / 541 laps

Sauber
2,274.0 km / 1,413.0 mi / 534 laps

Toro Rosso
2,260.9 km / 1,404.9 mi / 530 laps

Williams
2,153.6 km / 1,338.3 mi / 511 laps

McLaren
2,149.1 km / 1,335.4 mi / 512 laps

Renault
2,126.9 km / 1,321.5 mi / 502 laps

Virgin
1,825.5 km / 1,134.3 mi / 433 laps

Lotus
1,452.4 km / 902.4 mi / 342 laps

Hispania*
752.9 km / 467.8 mi / 188 laps

TOTAL
25,798.5 km / 16,030.4 mi / 6,094 laps

Once again (as last year) Ferrari are banking the most miles to this point. It won't mean much if the car is a dog however! ;)

CaptainRaiden
16th February 2011, 09:09
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/252759/pre-season-testing-2011-the-stats-so-far/

Once again (as last year) Ferrari are banking the most miles to this point. It won't mean much if the car is a dog however! ;)

Hmm, Mclaren clocking almost 1000 kilometers lesser than Ferrari. I hope this doesn't mean they have some teething problems with the new car. Ferrari meanwhile is most probably focusing on engine reliability and performance, since that was their achilles heel last year. So far things look good for them. They've been consistently at the top throughout. How much of that is REAL pace though is still a mystery. It would be very interesting to keep an eye on the testing programs of Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren for the upcoming tests. Also, from as far as I can remember, Mclaren hasn't posted a chart topping time even once throughout testing at Valencia or Jerez.

But then again, I remember how Coulthard and Kimi broke lap records during winter testing for the 2004 season with their Mclarens and Ferrari were barely in top 5 throughout. Come Australian Grand Prix, Ferrari 1-2 in qualifying and then Schumacher won the next 5 races. :dozey: It was absolutely shocking and horrendous to see how much of a dog that winter testing champion Mclaren MP4-19 really was! :eek:

Mark
16th February 2011, 09:20
For the most part winter testing is meaningless, however it can throw some light on the season ahead on occasion. Remember in 2009 when to everyone's surprise the Brawns were consistently fast in testing, and we all know what happened there.

CaptainRaiden
16th February 2011, 09:31
For the most part winter testing is meaningless, however it can throw some light on the season ahead on occasion. Remember in 2009 when to everyone's surprise the Brawns were consistently fast in testing, and we all know what happened there.

Oh yes, the 2009 Brawn was definitely an exception. I think that was also down to the fact that their car was so delayed. From what I remember, they missed the first two tests and could only manage to get it out for the third one, and I think by then there was no point of them sandbagging, because they needed some real mileage and also Brawn themselves were shocked at how fast that car really was. That car was faster in quali trim and also over a full race distance than any other car at least for the first half of the season. You couldn't write a better fairytale.

Hawkmoon
16th February 2011, 10:15
Well Barcelona is once again upon us, few things to look out for

1. Will Renault announce their replacement for Kubica or continue to trial Heidfeld and Senna

I don't think they'll announce anything but will anybody really be surprised if/when they announce Heidfeld?

2. Will Red Bull show their true hand?

What's to say they haven't already?

3. Will Lotus and Virgin continue their promising form from Jerez

Who cares? Lotus are going to lose a court case, their name and all the support that goes with that name. Richard Branson is going to get bored with F1 and quit and Manor will follow him not long after. Neither of these teams will be on the grid in 5 years time.

Sonic
16th February 2011, 13:43
I
Who cares? Lotus are going to lose a court case, their name and all the support that goes with that name. Richard Branson is going to get bored with F1 and quit and Manor will follow him not long after. Neither of these teams will be on the grid in 5 years time.

Got some inside knowledge you care to share with us? ;) No one knows how the court case is going to go.

Tazio
16th February 2011, 14:20
Hmm, Mclaren clocking almost 1000 kilometers lesser than Ferrari. I hope this doesn't mean they have some teething problems with the new car. Ferrari meanwhile is most probably focusing on engine reliability and performance, since that was their achilles heel last year. So far things look good for them. Although engine reliability is very important, (as well as other component parts, clutch, Kers, and wings, especially rear) I think the main focus is on tire wear. I followed last year’s practices much more closely, and they seemed to be obsessed with it (which may have been why they dropped the ball in the engine department). Then again I don't understand how they could have booked so much more mileage than the competition last year, and not noticed the engine anomaly :confused:

SGWilko
16th February 2011, 14:41
Then again I don't understand how they could have booked so much more mileage than the competition last year, and not noticed the engine anomaly :confused:

I think the rulebook caught them out - the new for '10 rules stated that you are not allowed to top up fluids/air or, due to the shortness of tyre only pitstops, they had no time to top up pneumatic valve system.

I can only assume they had not thought about this during testing, when they could top up at will.

I may well be wrong, but I am sure it was the pneumatic valves that caused the issue................

Tazio
16th February 2011, 17:08
Hmm, Mclaren clocking almost 1000 kilometers lesser than Ferrari. I hope this doesn't mean they have some teething problems with the new car. Ferrari meanwhile is most probably focusing on engine reliability and performance, since that was their achilles heel last year. So far things look good for them. They've been consistently at the top throughout. How much of that is REAL pace though is still a mystery. It would be very interesting to keep an eye on the testing programs of Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren for the upcoming tests. Also, from as far as I can remember, Mclaren hasn't posted a chart topping time even once throughout testing at Valencia or Jerez.

Here is one explanation about McLarens lack of mileage.
Take into consideration that the mileage attained using the modified MP/25 is counted toward the total.

McLaren's former long-time team coordinator Jo Ramirez was in the pits in Spain and he reported that technicians were so busy with the car that there was no time to experiment with the adjustable rear wing.

Instead, the team's focus was on testing different fundamental configurations, including the layout of the exhausts, the diffuser and the engine cover.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=400356

McLaren has a lot of work to do. I think the MP-26 will either be a world beater, or a 2nd tier contender. It's still way too early to draw any informed conclusions!

Retro Formula 1
16th February 2011, 17:59
I think the rulebook caught them out - the new for '10 rules stated that you are not allowed to top up fluids/air or, due to the shortness of tyre only pitstops, they had no time to top up pneumatic valve system.

I can only assume they had not thought about this during testing, when they could top up at will.

I may well be wrong, but I am sure it was the pneumatic valves that caused the issue................

That rule wasn't new though.

driveace
16th February 2011, 19:38
Do you not feel that some of the top teams are sandbagging in testing,as no one team has been consistently at the top of the time sheets at even two of the testing circuits already used.OR are we going to see a car that is superior of the others in the Barcelona test later this week?

Mia 01
16th February 2011, 22:31
MacLaren needs one or two gloory runs this test that´s for sure. Those radical designs is hard to master if it is possible.

CaptainRaiden
17th February 2011, 09:51
Take into consideration that the mileage attained using the modified MP/25 is counted toward the total.

McLaren has a lot of work to do. I think the MP-26 will either be a world beater, or a 2nd tier contender. It's still way too early to draw any informed conclusions!

A lot of work to do, indeed. But what's interesting is that even with all those little teething problems, the speed was pretty consistent and always around the top 3 or 4, so I'm thinking IF they are able to set the car up properly and finally nail the aerodynamic efficiency they're looking for, all the radical stuff may finally pay out for them. For a team as capable as Mclaren, that's not very hard to do. Any which way, even if it's not a world beater, I don't think it would be a 2nd tier contender.

BTW I do expect all the major teams breaking cover on some new parts for the upcoming tests at Catalunya and Bahrain, so probably new front and rear wings galore.

SGWilko
17th February 2011, 09:55
MacLaren needs one or two gloory runs this test that´s for sure. Those radical designs is hard to master if it is possible.

Glory runs no!!

Testing has changed quite fundamentally now that 'in-season' testing is no longer permitted.

This 'in-season' testing is now substituded by use of complex simulators, and getting these attuned to the actual car is where it's at right now. So teams spend a lot of time in the tests data gathering in different scenarios - high fuel loads, low fuel loads, temperature changes, dirty air, clean air.

Of course, now we have adjustable rear wings, single diffusers, KERS, Pirelli tyres. The more accurate you can correlate your data during the tests, the better you will be served throughout the year using the simulator.

Then you just need to use the Friday practice sessions to fine tune the setups for qually and the race.

Tazio
17th February 2011, 19:44
A lot of work to do, indeed. But what's interesting is that even with all those little teething problems, the speed was pretty consistent and always around the top 3 or 4, so I'm thinking IF they are able to set the car up properly and finally nail the aerodynamic efficiency they're looking for, all the radical stuff may finally pay out for them. For a team as capable as Mclaren, that's not very hard to do. Any which way, even if it's not a world beater, I don't think it would be a 2nd tier contender.BTW I do expect all the major teams breaking cover on some new parts for the upcoming tests at Catalunya and Bahrain, so probably new front and rear wings galore.Saying McLaren may end up second tier is what I said but I spoke erroneously. What I meant was they may be a cut below Red Bull, or Red Bull, and Ferrari (most likely the former) if their radical design is less than spectacular. I think it is hard to even draw the conclusion that they have relatively good pace as far as times have gone so far because when they are testing their exhaust, and diffuser configurations, they are likely not running as many consecutive heavy laps and also more concerned with traction, and speed out of corners. The miles they put on the modified MP/25 will give them useful tire wear data in a relative sense, but they need to be running this year’s contender for specific data. Having said all of that I'm sure the MP-26 will be competitive and in a group among the top three, maybe even ahead. They just have a lot of work to do, and they may not even have the car completely sorted out until Spain, which is not uncommon.

Roamy
18th February 2011, 01:45
Do you not feel that some of the top teams are sandbagging in testing,as no one team has been consistently at the top of the time sheets at even two of the testing circuits already used.OR are we going to see a car that is superior of the others in the Barcelona test later this week?

I don't know about sandbagging but probably some of them are not making low fuel runs. I would imagine they are starting full fuel and working down. 15 lap fuel is probably not too important at the moment. Although if barcelona is the last test you may see some qually setups.

Tazio
18th February 2011, 05:04
For the members that are not aware of this resource you can follow practice live, (in text) at http://live.autosport.com/
or just use it to review the running. It's really quite good. I devoured it live last season, but have not had the wear with all to this season.

Sonic
18th February 2011, 10:26
Nice and wet out there this morning - a chance to test the new inters.

pettersolberg29
18th February 2011, 15:09
Is it me or does the Toro Rosso look very quick this year? Especially Alguersuari. I know testing doesn't mean much, but this could be a good season for them perhaps. Does anyone have any info on their long runs, or are all their fast laps just showbaoting?

N4D13
18th February 2011, 16:29
Is it me or does the Toro Rosso look very quick this year? Especially Alguersuari. I know testing doesn't mean much, but this could be a good season for them perhaps. Does anyone have any info on their long runs, or are all their fast laps just showbaoting?
Given that last year's pole was 1:19.995, I wouldn't say that anyone looks particularly fast at this stage. Alguersuari clocked an 1:25.698, which isn't particularly impressive, and there is no way to know how much fuel was anyone carrying. Kobayashi was a few hundredths of a second faster, and I truly doubt that it's significant either.

pettersolberg29
18th February 2011, 16:34
Given that last year's pole was 1:19.995, I wouldn't say that anyone looks particularly fast at this stage. Alguersuari clocked an 1:25.698, which isn't particularly impressive, and there is no way to know how much fuel was anyone carrying. Kobayashi was a few hundredths of a second faster, and I truly doubt that it's significant either.

I meant throughout the winter testing rather than simply today, but point taken.

RS
18th February 2011, 19:43
Liuizzi is going to test for HRT tomorrow. I'm guessing he has some $$$ from his Force India contract severance and will get the drive.

Sonic
18th February 2011, 20:59
It's odd how slow they all are. Pole last year was around 8 tenths faster than the fastest pre-season lap so to see them 5 seconds off the boil is puzzling - are the P's that slow in comparison to the Bridgestones or is everyone playing close to their chest?

N4D13
18th February 2011, 21:41
It's odd how slow they all are. Pole last year was around 8 tenths faster than the fastest pre-season lap so to see them 5 seconds off the boil is puzzling - are the P's that slow in comparison to the Bridgestones or is everyone playing close to their chest?
The Pirellis are much slower than the Bridgestones -a few seconds per lap, which is a big deal-, but keep in mind that this is the first day of testing, and it's not even the last pre-season test. From what we've seen so far, the best times are usually clocked in the last day of testing.

AndyL
18th February 2011, 22:18
I wonder how much difference the loss of the double diffusers has made.

i_max2k2
18th February 2011, 23:15
The reason I think they were slower today, was probably because the track was damp from yesterday, and all the rubber that would have been there from before was probably eroded from the rain yesterday, so I wouldn't worry about their times till Barcelona qualy.

Tazio
19th February 2011, 01:37
Sebastian Vettel says he’s surprised by how much the new F1 rules have slowed this year’s cars down. The combination of reduced downforce due to the double-diffuser ban, increased weight and switch to Pirelli tyres has increased lap times.

Vettel said: “I think if anyone in the pit lane has a better car than we did at the end of last season, then for sure we have a problem.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/18/vettel-surprised-were-slower-than-last-year/

truefan72
19th February 2011, 02:05
and that's why I am glad Hamilton is one of their drivers, Even with a tougher car, he seems to drag it to the top with a bit of help. Last year the car was easily 3rd best on most tracks and he still manged to do well. Button has also proven to be a solid asset as well. I am happy with these two drivers.

truefan72
19th February 2011, 02:11
its a shame about no ins season testing. I bet you it is cheaper and more effective than running super expensive computers. Not to mention that the lesser teams are at a disadvantage now.

truefan72
19th February 2011, 02:13
Glory runs no!!

Testing has changed quite fundamentally now that 'in-season' testing is no longer permitted.

This 'in-season' testing is now substituded by use of complex simulators, and getting these attuned to the actual car is where it's at right now. So teams spend a lot of time in the tests data gathering in different scenarios - high fuel loads, low fuel loads, temperature changes, dirty air, clean air.

Of course, now we have adjustable rear wings, single diffusers, KERS, Pirelli tyres. The more accurate you can correlate your data during the tests, the better you will be served throughout the year using the simulator.

Then you just need to use the Friday practice sessions to fine tune the setups for qually and the race.

its a shame about no ins season testing. I bet you it is cheaper and more effective than running super expensive computers. Not to mention that the lesser teams are at a disadvantage now.

truefan72
19th February 2011, 02:14

Dave B
19th February 2011, 09:44
Ferrari on Twitter:

Not a good start of the second day of the session. Fernando stopped on track due to an electric problem. Anyway, the issue has been solved.

Dave B
19th February 2011, 10:32
Another red flag, this time because there's some kerbing on track.

After 2 hours,
1. Barrichello (1:24.264)
2. Alonso (1:25.247)
3. Alguersuari (1:25.259)
4. Di Resta (1:25.859)
5. Vettel (1:26.158)
6. Rosberg (1:28.001)
7. Petrov (1:28.027)
8. Kovalainen (1:28.028)
9. Liuzzi (1:30.192)
10. Kobayashi (1:30.849)

Tazio
19th February 2011, 10:36
Another red flag, this time because there's some kerbing on track.

After 2 hours,
1. Barrichello (1:24.264)
2. Alonso (1:25.247)
3. Alguersuari (1:25.259)
4. Di Resta (1:25.859)
5. Vettel (1:26.158)
6. Rosberg (1:28.001)
7. Petrov (1:28.027)
8. Kovalainen (1:28.028)
9. Liuzzi (1:30.192)
10. Kobayashi (1:30.849)
2.5 hour mark McLaren yet to do a timed lap! :confused:

fandango
19th February 2011, 11:05
Here are some photos from the Forum's man-on-the-ground in Montmeló, from Friday morning. Sorry about the size - I couldn't get it to upload anything bigger...now it seems I can only put in one photo per post...2720

Dave B
19th February 2011, 11:10
2.5 hour mark McLaren yet to do a timed lap! :confused:

@sarahholtf1 Ted [Kravitz] has some news on McLaren, for those of you asking. He reports they are in between programmes & there's nothing to worry about

fandango
19th February 2011, 11:24
I'm not sure if this is best way to do it, but I put the little snaps from Friday in an album. Sorry to McLaren fans that there's none of Button, I just didn't get a good shot of him.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3

Sonic
19th February 2011, 11:31
I wonder how much difference the loss of the double diffusers has made.

Most seem to be claiming they have re-found most, if not all of the lost downforce, so it really does look like the new tyres are the cause of the drop in performance.

Tazio
19th February 2011, 11:38
I'm not sure if this is best way to do it, but I put the little snaps from Friday in an album. Sorry to McLaren fans that there's none of Button, I just didn't get a good shot of him.

Thanks for the pic's :up:

Tazio
19th February 2011, 11:48
Most seem to be claiming they have re-found most, if not all of the lost downforce, so it really does look like the new tyres are the cause of the drop in performance.Maybe, but that is not what Vettel is implying in the quote I posted in post # 29
I do agree that the tires do seem to be responsible for slowing them down the most over several laps! :)

steveaki13
19th February 2011, 11:48

:up:

Dave B
19th February 2011, 12:03
Lunch break. Here are the times so far:

1 Vettel Red Bull 1m23.315s
2 Barrichello Williams 1m24.042s +0.727
3 Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.730s +1.415
4 Di Resta Force India 1m25.194s +1.879
5 Alonso Ferrari 1m25.247s +1.932
6 Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1m25.259s +1.944
7 Kovalainen Lotus 1m26.421s +3.106
8 Petrov Renault 1m26.884s +3.569
9 Button McLaren 1m27.027s +3.712
10 Liuzzi HRT 1m28.580s +5.265
11 Kobayashi Sauber 1m29.498s +6.183
12 Glock Virgin 1m41.670s +18.355

DazzlaF1
19th February 2011, 15:31
Lotus and Virgin both way off the pace but then again, this is a track that does favour the KERS cars.

That saying though, their average pace on long fuel runs is still good

Dave B
19th February 2011, 16:08
All done for Saturday:

1 Vettel Red Bull 1m23.315s
2 Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1m23.519s +0.204
3 Alonso Ferrari 1m23.978s +0.663
4 Barrichello Williams 1m24.008s +0.693
5 Heidfeld Renault 1m24.242s +0.927
6 Kobayashi Sauber 1m24.243s +0.928
7 Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.730s +1.415
8 Button McLaren 1m24.923s +1.608
9 Di Resta Force India 1m25.194s +1.879
10 Kovalainen Lotus 1m26.421s +3.106
11 Petrov Renault 1m26.884s +3.569
12 Liuzzi HRT 1m27.044s +3.729
13 Glock Virgin 1m27.242s +3.927
14 Teixeira Lotus 1m31.584s +8.269

N4D13
19th February 2011, 16:49
That Sauber is looking rather reliable (for a change!). Kobayashi has done nothing less than 256 laps so far, which is impressive.

Mia 01
19th February 2011, 22:42
There has to be some concern in the MacLaren garage by now.

Perhaps Lewis can put on a brave face with a blistering lap tomorrow?

Zico
19th February 2011, 22:44
Buttons comments on the teams testing pace..

"Do you really think the Ferrari is six tenths slower than the Red Bull?" Button said, in reference to the headline lap times on Saturday.

"And the Ferrari on the long runs seem to be two seconds quicker than everyone else.

"There are so many things going on and in testing it's so difficult to get an understanding anyway.

"The soft compared to the hard tyre is one and a half seconds quicker and if someone has the super-soft here it's another second.

"So it's very difficult to know the pace of people and what they're doing.

"What is interesting is people's consistency - that's when you can really see if they have a good car.

"Ferrari does look competitive in terms of consistency but so do a lot of others and the Red Bull looks pretty good but not as good as the Ferrari."

Meanwhile Alonso states that Red Bull are strongest.. :D

More of the interview here.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9402487.stm

Sonic
19th February 2011, 22:51
That's pretty much hit the nail on the head Zico. McLaren are still running back to back tests on their fancy exhaust; Mercedes keep telling us they don't have their 2011 spec car; Red Bull and Ferarri have had some technical issues. In short no one is any the wiser now than we were two weeks ago. We probably won't know for sure until they line up in Bahrain or Oz (which ever comes first) who's got the package.

DazzlaF1
19th February 2011, 23:26
That's pretty much hit the nail on the head Zico. McLaren are still running back to back tests on their fancy exhaust; Mercedes keep telling us they don't have their 2011 spec car; Red Bull and Ferarri have had some technical issues. In short no one is any the wiser now than we were two weeks ago. We probably won't know for sure until they line up in Bahrain or Oz (which ever comes first) who's got the package.

There is one thing we can be sure of though, judging by this, we can safely say that the return of the 107% qualifying rules announced last year will have been a bit of a waste of time, everyone whos'e set a reasonable race pace during the test so far in the dry are all well below the projected 107% time. For instance, taking Vettel's fastest time today of 1m 23.315 gives a 107% time of 1m 29.147 and the slowest 2011 dry runner so far (Timo Glock) is nearly 2 seconds quicker than that so far. hell even last year's Hispania cars are well under the 107% limit

Tazio
19th February 2011, 23:41
That's pretty much hit the nail on the head Zico. McLaren are still running back to back tests on their fancy exhaust; Mercedes keep telling us they don't have their 2011 spec car; Red Bull and Ferarri have had some technical issues. In short no one is any the wiser now than we were two weeks ago. We probably won't know for sure until they line up in Bahrain or Oz (which ever comes first) who's got the package. I'll agree with that, with Red Bull probably holding a little extra back, and McLaren still finding it's way.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 09:26
Wet track this morning, first real taste of Perelli intermediates.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 10:45
Is it a waste though? The last couple of years we've had plenty of wet races, and at the moment nobody really knows how the new tyres will cope or how the aero will react. Today could actually be very valuable.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 10:52
From Tabatha Valls (Virgin PR):

#F1 results after 2 and a half hours... http://twitpic.com/41t2cl

Dave B
20th February 2011, 10:53
Red flags for Pastor, then Perez, and now for Massa. Slippery out there.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 11:21
Another spin from Massa brings out red flag.

McLaren sidelined by another technical issue, Button lost time yesterday and now Hamilton stuck in the garage.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 11:23
Mike Gascoyne:

Too wet for dry tyres and getting too dry for any meannful work on the the inters. hopefully will dry up for the afternoon

Ranger
20th February 2011, 13:20
Toro Rosso's time yesterday wasn't on a qualifying lap. They are looking at a good season.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 16:24
From Tabatha Valls again:

Results, end of day 3 in Barcelona... #F1 http://twitpic.com/41weo6

Dave B
20th February 2011, 16:26
Link to times as text:
http://www.manipef1.com/testing/days/2011/brc20feb/

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 21:14
Good stuff from Williams today, looks like they're finally getting some consistency in their lap times, both Rubinho and Maldonado both up amonget the fastest so far, I think they could be in for a great year.

Plus I think now we can safely say that we can give Lotus a big "Welcome to the Midfield" terrific lap time from Trulli today. (15th overall out of 26 over the 3 days)

Roamy
21st February 2011, 04:38
It will probably be the SOS this season but who is the darkhorse. everyyear a team may come up that ladder. I pick Toro Rosso

N4D13
21st February 2011, 11:01
If there's a dark horse, maybe it will be Merc. It wouldn't really be a surprise if they had a great car in Oz.

Zico
21st February 2011, 11:05
Mark Webber and Felipe Massa both did full race simulations yesterday. In fact they are the only two to complete the full race distance uninterrupted.

Their respective times relative to one another..

Webber ------- Massa
01:29.774 ---- 01:31.409
01:29.875 ---- 01:31.021
01:30.196 ---- 01:31.654
01:31.404 ---- 01:31.407
01:32.058 ---- 01:31.550
01:32.025 ---- 01:32.125
01:32.473 ---- 01:32.141
01:33.268 ---- 01:31.583
00:00.000 ---- 01:37.390
00:00.000 ---- 01:32.492
01:27.457 ---- 01:32.521
01:27.993 ---- 01:32.624
01:28.969 ---- 01:32.800
01:29.834 ---- 01:32.990
01:30.212 ---- 01:33.893
01:30.879 ---- 01:33.967
01:31.176 ---- 01:34.406
01:31.369 ---- 00:00.000
01:31.957 ---- 00:00.000
01:32.406 ---- 01:29.289
01:32.636 ---- 01:28.639
01:33.251 ---- 01:33.876
01:33.639 ---- 01:29.749
00:00.000 ---- 01:30.024
00:00.000 ---- 01:30.092
01:29.941 ---- 01:30.018
01:29.678 ---- 01:29.991
01:29.853 ---- 01:30.178
01:30.345 ---- 01:30.287
01:30.818 ---- 01:30.345
01:30.246 ---- 01:30.758
01:30.864 ---- 01:31.459
01:30.431 ---- 01:31.874
01:30.600 ---- 01:32.471
01:30.770 ---- 00:00.000
01:30.613 ---- 00:00.000
01:32.648 ---- 01:28.227
01:31.842 ---- 01:36.578
01:31.337 ---- 01:27.835
01:31.140 ---- 01:28.118
01:32.396 ---- 01:28.302
01:32.545 ---- 01:28.702
01:32.364 ---- 01:29.071
01:33.610 ---- 01:28.947
01:33.249 ---- 01:28.981
00:00.000 ---- 01:29.302
00:00.000 ---- 01:29.288
01:24.995 ---- 01:29.495
01:28.324 ---- 01:29.966
01:29.115 ---- 01:30.148
01:28.402 ---- 00:00.000
01:28.341 ---- 00:00.000
01:28.375 ---- 01:31.551
01:29.036 ---- 01:26.508
01:28.564 ---- 01:26.990
01:29.046 ---- 01:31.452
01:29.465 ---- 01:27.358
01:28.664 ---- 01:27.465
01:29.138 ---- 01:27.665
01:32.022 ---- 01:28.348
01:29.261 ---- 01:28.473
01:30.155 ---- 01:28.962
01:29.862 ---- 01:32.195
01:30.341 ---- 01:28.080
01:30.752 ---- 01:28.140
00:00.000 ---- 00:00.000

1:29:01.999 vs 1:29:01.170

If there is any significant pointers to be taken from testing, the full race simulation times are probably the most likely.. Any thoughts?

Dave B
21st February 2011, 11:47
Lotus are posting some decent times but they are still suffering: Trulli's relatively minor crash earlier has ended their programme due to lack of spares.

N4D13
21st February 2011, 15:28
If there is any significant pointers to be taken from testing, the full race simulation times are probably the most likely.. Any thoughts?
I don't think that this is really significant. Even when doing a race simulation, their programmes were different. Given that the RBR is believed to be kind on its tyres, I don't believe that they would choose a three-stopper in the Barcelona race, as they have done. If anything, this might be an indicator of that the Red Bull is a bit faster than the Ferrari, but, then again, we can't be sure about how much fuel they had or if the drivers were pushing at all.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:05
Here endeth the Barcelona test:

1 Massa Ferrari 1m22.625s
2 Webber Red Bull 1m23.442s +0.817
3 Buemi Toro Rosso 1m23.550s +0.925
4 Heidfeld Renault 1m23.657s +1.032
5 Hamilton McLaren 1m24.003s +1.378
6 Maldonado Williams 1m24.057s +1.432
7 Sutil Force India 1m24.177s +1.552
8 Perez Sauber 1m24.515s +1.890
9 D'Ambrosio Virgin 1m26.501s +3.876
10 Schumacher Mercedes 1m27.079s +4.454
11 Trulli Lotus 1m29.992s +7.367

And so the teams pack up and head off to, erm...

N4D13
21st February 2011, 16:28
Here endeth the Barcelona test:

1 Massa Ferrari 1m22.625s
2 Webber Red Bull 1m23.442s +0.817
3 Buemi Toro Rosso 1m23.550s +0.925
4 Heidfeld Renault 1m23.657s +1.032
5 Hamilton McLaren 1m24.003s +1.378
6 Maldonado Williams 1m24.057s +1.432
7 Sutil Force India 1m24.177s +1.552
8 Perez Sauber 1m24.515s +1.890
9 D'Ambrosio Virgin 1m26.501s +3.876
10 Schumacher Mercedes 1m27.079s +4.454
11 Trulli Lotus 1m29.992s +7.367

And so the teams pack up and head off to, erm...
Staying in Barcelona seems a rather sensible decision to me, as they're now supposed to do two more tests. For instance, Barcelona (or Algarve) and Paul Ricard would be a fine decision, don't you think?

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:32
Spain seems the most logical solution, the only drawback being the lack of high-temperature running before the season starts. Abu Dhabi would perhaps be better from a technical perspective, but I suspect it'll prove too difficult to organise.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:37
Test confirmed for Barcelona, 8th - 11th March.

Retro Formula 1
21st February 2011, 16:41
Well, testing is testing and results can largely be taken with a rather large pinch of Salt BUT....

McLaren???

RB look fast and Ferrari is pretty much there as well. I think they will both be on Par come the first race at, er, wherever the first race is??

McLaren though look to be struggleing. They were a bit late to the Party and Hamilton is not relishing these new boots it seems. It's rare that a car looks off the pace in testing and suddenly bounces to the top in the first race.

Perhaps this really will be Buttons year again but only if the Mac picks up it's Peticoat a bit.

I am evil Homer
21st February 2011, 16:46
Hard to tell really, McLaren seem to be trying a lot of different things so where their true pace is its hard to tell but it does look slightly off RBR and Ferrari.

AndyL
21st February 2011, 17:26
They have said they haven't had time to work on setup because they're a step behind on the basic testing of configurations. Perhaps when they start optimising their setups we'll see more of what the car is capable of. But certainly it doesn't look particularly great right now. Looks as if it's on cold tyres all the time, I read on one of the twitter feeds during this test. As has been previously suggested, is their design too bold?

Tazio
21st February 2011, 17:31
Still too early to tell, McLaren has shown some good pace, but they are also really struggling with tire degradation on their long runs. Dodgy business comparing times at this point

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 19:00
It seems at this stage there are four silver cars that will have form very hard to predict this year. I'm (selfishly) hoping they are the fastest, but I get the feeling this is Vettel's year again.

DazzlaF1
21st February 2011, 19:09
For what its worth, the full leaderboard for the Barcelona test (not including reserve drivers, thats no Ricciardo, Liuzzi, Mondino or Teixera)

* = 2010 car

1. Felipe Massa - Ferrari ................ 1m 22.625 (244 laps)
2. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes ................ + 0.543 (223 laps)
3. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull ................ + 0.690 (141 laps)
4. Mark Webber - Red Bull ................ + 0.817 (208 laps)
5. Vitaly Petrov - Renault ................ + 0.838 (174 laps)
6. Jaime Alguersuari - Toro Rosso ................ + 0.894 (154 laps)
7. Sebastien Buemi - Toro Rosso ................ + 0.925 (121 laps)
8. Nick Heidfeld - Renault ................ + 1.032 (163 laps)
9. Lewis Hamilton - McLaren ................ + 1.233 (200 laps)
10. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari ................ + 1.353 (191 laps)
11. Rubens Barrichello - Williams ................ + 1.383 (170 laps)
12. Pastor Maldonado - Williams ................ + 1.432 (181 laps)
13. Adrian Sutil - Force India ................ + 1.552 (166 laps)
14. Kamui Kobayashi - Sauber ................ + 1.618 (203 laps)
15. Sergio Perez - Sauber ................ + 1.890 (189 laps)
16. Jenson Button - McLaren ................ + 2.298 (131 laps)
17. Paul di Resta - Force India ................ + 2.569 (106 laps)
18. Jarno Trulli - Team Lotus ................ + 2.829 (66 laps)
19. Heikki Kovalainen - Team Lotus ................ + 3.796 (112 laps)
20. Jerome d'Ambrosio - Virgin ................ + 3.876 (166 laps)
21. Timo Glock - Virgin ................ + 3.973 (163 laps)
22. Michael Schumacher - Mercedes ................ + 4.454 (204 laps)
23. *Narain Karthikeyan - Hispania ................ + 5.768 (148 laps)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DQ. 107% time - 1m 28.409 ................ + 5.784

Retro Formula 1
21st February 2011, 19:46
Still too early to tell, McLaren has shown some good pace, but they are also really struggling with tire degradation on their long runs. Dodgy business comparing times at this point

Yep, it's no definitive indication but does give you a "feel" for how preperation is going. At the moment, the feel isn't good but lets see in Australia.

pettersolberg29
22nd February 2011, 18:29
I know it's hardly unexpected, but an interesting comment from Heidfeld on his official blog:

"Finally a word to all of my fans: I sadly have to disappoint everyone who is thinking that we are top of the grid now because of the fastest lap of Robert in Valencia and mine in Jerez. I hope that we will do well, but it seems that Red Bull is the fastest team. Certainly we work hard to chance this."

Unusual to comment like this, but maybe its just a veil over their pace. Either that or Nick is unhappy with the car still...

DexDexter
23rd February 2011, 08:41
I know it's hardly unexpected, but an interesting comment from Heidfeld on his official blog:

"Finally a word to all of my fans: I sadly have to disappoint everyone who is thinking that we are top of the grid now because of the fastest lap of Robert in Valencia and mine in Jerez. I hope that we will do well, but it seems that Red Bull is the fastest team. Certainly we work hard to chance this."

Unusual to comment like this, but maybe its just a veil over their pace. Either that or Nick is unhappy with the car still...

He's just being realistic. I don't think any serious follower of F1 thinks that Renault have suddenly overtaken Red Bull, these things just don't happen overnight. In fact now with Kubica sidelined, I expect Renault to fall back to the midfield as the season progresses since, with all due respect to Heidfeld, their driver line-up is certainly not the strongest on the grid.

I am evil Homer
23rd February 2011, 09:53
Yep I think it's setting expectations to say "hey look....we're not gonna challenge RBR for wins in the first race" but they've shown decent pace thus far.

Kevincal
23rd February 2011, 19:37
Maybe its that way of thinking is the reason Heidfeld and many others have never won... Really I think it's a stupid thing to say, imagine how the team feels reading that. Heidfeld is a nice guy but I think like so many other drivers doesn't have the drive and passion required to become champion. Who cares if the car is not "quite" as good as RBR, surely it's not that far off, push the damn thing! ;) The guys in the old days seemed to push more, then again more of them died or had serious injuries... But for instance watch old videos of Keke Rosberg he pushed a slower car to compete for wins on a regular basis. Also lets remember Alonso in the Renault back in 2003-2004 when that car was nothing special but he managed some wins and the car and team developed to win 2 WDC in 05 06.

Mia 01
24th February 2011, 17:05
MacLaren needs to find moore downforce (grip) out of slow and fast corners and moore stability when braking.

jens
24th February 2011, 17:40
Renault has been very highly hyped, but I don't think this car was ever going to be quite good enough to really win the WDC. If it is as good as it has seemed so far, perhaps we can see a few podiums by Nick. Kubica achieved three podiums in 2010, which should have been four (Japan). Maybe some more now if the team can retain high development pace throughout the season.

I am wondering about Williams and Toro Rosso, both have seemed quite impressive and may actually trouble some underperforming top teams, like McLaren and especially Mercedes. Williams was quite quick in qualifying trim already at the end of 2010, so that wouldn't be a surprise if they can get Top6 grid slots, but I suspect they are going to drop backwards in races again. STR? Been more impressive than I would have expected (which was behind all established teams and maybe Lotus), but perhaps not quite as good as they have seemed in testing. Minor points in races are a possibility though, like also in Sauber's case.

Mia 01
24th February 2011, 19:21
If Jenson can manage the tires it looking good for him compared to Lew.

Roamy
25th February 2011, 16:30
If Jenson can manage the tires it looking good for him compared to Lew.

Right - the only thing Jenson is going to be doing is admiring himself in Lew's rear view mirror.

keysersoze
25th February 2011, 17:04
Right - the only thing Jenson is going to be doing is admiring himself in Lew's rear view mirror.

Not a Jensen fan by any stretch, but one thing Button has proven beyond doubt is his ability to manage his tires under difficult situations. He's clearly superior to Lewis in this regard, although Hamilton is better overall.

With the Pirellis (at the moment) seeming inconsistent, and apt to change a car's characteristics over a fuel run, it looks like tire management may be key this season. JB could spring a surprise.

Tazio
2nd March 2011, 14:57
Sauber adjustable rear wing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEx4nXdIlY