PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain finally cancelled! Finally official!

Pages : [1] 2

Dave B
15th February 2011, 15:57
The natives are restless, it seems. Hot on the heels of Egyptian protesters eventually overthrowing President Mubarak, Iran and Bahrain now appear to be in a race to become the next country to oust their leaders.

Thousands took to the streets recently in Manama to protest the death of a mourner at an earlier funeral, and now it appears that some protestors are planning to use next month's F1 race as the focal point for more action, knowing that there'll be a massive media presence.

Joe Saward (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/f1-as-a-political-weapon/) relays this quote from Nabeel Rajab, the vice president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights:

For sure F1 is not going to be peaceful this time. They’ll be lots of journalists, a lot of people looking and [the government] will react in a stupid manner as they did today and yesterday. And that will be bloody but will be more publicised.

James Allen also makes this point in his excellent analysis of the situation (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/02/sport-and-world-politics-set-to-collide-at-start-of-season/):

It’s not the event itself that we need to worry about, as that will be extremely well protected, it’s the comings and goings of the people who work in the sport, which is more tricky to protect. And of course, the drivers. Remember the coverage Jenson Button got when he and his entourage were held up at gun point by an armed gang in Brazil? They got away, but no coverage at all was given to the two groups of mechanics and technicians who were actually robbed by the gang.

Hopefully all will pass peacefully, but personally I'm glad that I don't have tickets.

Dave B
15th February 2011, 16:44
Even Bernie's taking notice, if he thinks something could affect the bottom line then you know it's serious :p
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89496

steveaki13
15th February 2011, 16:56
Lets hope the protests pass peacefully and that we and the world can go to Bahrain and enjoy a cracking first race of the season.

gloomyDAY
15th February 2011, 17:45
Good. I hope the race gets called off altogether and the teams' time isn't lost in a wasteland.
I'm not a fan of Bahrain and its circuit, so I'd much rather see the season-opener in Australia.

Shifter
15th February 2011, 18:25
Good. I hope the race gets called off altogether and the teams' time isn't lost in a wasteland.
I'm not a fan of Bahrain and its circuit, so I'd much rather see the season-opener in Australia.

Correct. Bahrain needs democracy and enlightenment much more than it needs auto racing at the moment. Bernie needs to understand that if you hold races in such places they'll probably need to be cancelled every now and then, or perhaps he can take a lesson from Dakar and run the race somewhere better.

Tazio
15th February 2011, 18:31
Correct. Bahrain needs democracy and enlightenment much more than it needs auto racing at the moment. Bernie needs to understand that if you hold races in such places they'll probably need to be cancelled every now and then, or perhaps he can take a lesson from Dakar and run the race somewhere better.

They need Liquor too. Lots of Liquor ;)

Shifter
15th February 2011, 18:37
I dont know if Liqour in Bahrain is a 'need', but I can't see any downside to it, and I can think of a few positives. :D

UltimateDanGTR
15th February 2011, 18:52
F1 needs to avoid Bahrain for its own well being, and never return.

It also has the worst track on the calendar, which doesnt help.

MAX_THRUST
15th February 2011, 21:20
Its more like a test track with points. Don't see the ppoint of the race there. Thought it was great idea at first, now i think its dull, maybe this year will be better than last year who knows?

Nikki Katz
15th February 2011, 21:53
The only truly bad race in Bahrain was the one last year where the used the extended circuit for less passing, although I'll admit that it's hardly my favourite track on the calendar, and is pretty low in even my list of Tilkedromes. But I really hope that this does go ahead.

That's a pretty selfish of me though, I'm sure that the protesters are a lot more upset about their human rights than I am at the possible loss of a race.

Sonic
15th February 2011, 22:18
Not to worry guys. The Egyptians had the big cheese out in what, 18 days? Plenty of time for Bernie to get elected as their supreme overlord and schedule a Bahrain GP every fortnight throughout the year ;)

nigelred5
15th February 2011, 23:20
Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it go. I never saw the point in it. Boring place, Boring track. It's ALL about the money. More than once many of us have speculated; "What would happen if they held an F1 race for TV with no spectators?" I could totally see that happening in Bahrain.

AbuDhabi I can almost see as it's been heavily developed as a tourist destination , But Bahrain.... naah.

I hope all ends up well with minimal violence.

anthonyvop
16th February 2011, 05:30
Some people seem to have forgotten what F-1 is all about.

Roamy
16th February 2011, 05:51
They need Liquor too. Lots of Liquor ;)

Do they have any pussy over there that is not covered with a drape???

Mark
16th February 2011, 09:18
Would anybody be really sorry to see Bahrain go? At best it's a track which should appear somewhere in the mid-season, if at all. It certainly shouldn't be the season opening race! That, of course, should be Australia. But I guess Bernie wants the first race of the season to be at a decent hour in Europe, so this is what we get!

pino
16th February 2011, 09:47
I say let's get rid of Bahrain and bring back Imola :D

Dave B
16th February 2011, 10:12
Would anybody be really sorry to see Bahrain go?
I'd love to see its place on the calendar go to a "proper" track in a country that gives a damn, but for this year all the time it's still on the calendar I hope the race goes ahead as planned.

Wasted Talent
16th February 2011, 11:41
I'd love to see its place on the calendar go to a "proper" track in a country that gives a damn, but for this year all the time it's still on the calendar I hope the race goes ahead as planned.

Agree 100%

WT

maxter
16th February 2011, 12:47
Correct. Bahrain needs democracy and enlightenment much more than it needs auto racing at the moment.
The protesters wants the coverage though, so for their sake it would be better if the race isn't cancelled.

gloomyDAY
16th February 2011, 16:36
I'd love to see its place on the calendar go to a "proper" track in a country that gives a damn, but for this year all the time it's still on the calendar I hope the race goes ahead as planned.Why?

Roamy
16th February 2011, 16:39

Now here is a very intelligent poster. One who has history and racing in his blood. If you have never been to Imola you don't know F1 !!

N. Jones
16th February 2011, 19:52
Can I second the motion?

steveaki13
16th February 2011, 23:43
I too don't really enjoy the Bahrain GP, I seem to remember the 2005 race wasn't too bad, but every other year the race has been one of the worst races of the season.

The wide open expanses of the new tracks take away from the racing imo. While I don't obviously want to see any crashes, the risk and challenge that Spa, Monaco and alike pose mean the achievement of completing a hot lap or race distance is emense, whereas almost anyone could make a mistake a lap and still finish a race in Bahrain.

One other issue with Bahrain and Abu Dabai I find is the metres of painted run off look so bland and similar it loses character.

Despite this I hope firstly Bahrain get their political situation resolved the way they need it asap for the peoples sake, and despite not being a fan of the venue, I hope the GP goes ahead.

But as many here have said, the political situation must take priority over the GP.

F1boat
17th February 2011, 07:16
Great idea!

F1boat
17th February 2011, 07:18

Excellent idea.

Mark
17th February 2011, 08:05
BBC News:
Security forces in Bahrain have dispersed thousands of anti-government protesters in Pearl Square in the centre of capital, Manama.
Hundreds of riot police using tear gas and batons moved into the square before dawn on Thursday.
At least two people died in the police operation, according to the opposition, while 100 sustained injuries.

Is this the sort of place we want to host the opening round of the F1 season?

Dave B
17th February 2011, 08:38
Could everybody please stop saying "Manama".

NA90IlymdZ4

Dave B
17th February 2011, 09:03
On a far less flippant note, here's an example of how F1 may not be directly affected but the protests could still mess things up. Practice and qualifying for the GP2 Asia have been postponed, not becuase of anything at the circuit, but because medical staff have been called away to deal with injuries in Manama. No medics, no race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89517

Mark
17th February 2011, 09:15
Of course Bernie can't do anything right now as quite possibly unrest will quiet down (or be crushed) in Bahrain in the next few days, and in three weeks time F1 would look rather foolish for not racing there, not to mention all the calls of compensation which would result.

But I think they should err on the side of caution, as the last thing F1 or the country of Bahrain needs is outsiders getting involved in internal politics.

Dave B
17th February 2011, 11:55
It now seems that journalists and media are being prevented from leaving the airport, and the internet and phone networks are being disrupted. Bahrain's rulers really don't want the rest of the world watching them right now, and if reports are true that medics were ordered at gunpoint not to treat protesters then you can't really blame them.

Some horrible human rights abuses going on, F1 is the least of their concerns at the moment :s

Dave B
17th February 2011, 12:01
A sober analysis from SPEED's Will Buxton:

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/a-view-from-inside-bahrain/

Dave B
17th February 2011, 12:05
Me again. This weekend's GP2 Asia race has now been cancelled. Qualfying had already been postponed once, now the whole event is off. Hardly surprising. :s

I am evil Homer
17th February 2011, 12:10
Good - well not 'good' but F1 has no business being in Bahrain anyway.

Mark
17th February 2011, 12:12
I have no objection to Bahrain as a track per se, I can think of others just as boring. But it has no place being the opening round!

I am evil Homer
17th February 2011, 12:14
No I don't think an international series has any business being a country with such a 'democracy' purely for Bernie to line his pockets.

Alfa Fan
17th February 2011, 12:16
AUTOSPORT understands the Bahrain test stuff will be discussed in the Friday meeting.

What sort of professional journalism is that?!

Mark
17th February 2011, 12:16
No I don't think an international series has any business being a country with such a 'democracy' purely for Bernie to line his pockets.

It's nothing new for F1. They went to South Africa at the height of apartheid, and Hungary has been on the calendar long before that country became democratic.

Dave B
17th February 2011, 12:30
China has an appaling record on human rights, the USA runs an illegal detention centre, the UK was complicit in torturing prisoners, the list is endless. Not sure any of us should be chucking stones at other peoples' houses.

markabilly
17th February 2011, 12:49

no fan either but.......

Bad idea...put it at Indy, you show up and I will buy you all the wine and food your tummy will hold....and tell even worse bad jokes than I post around here

It's nothing new for F1. They went to South Africa at the height of apartheid, and Hungary has been on the calendar long before that country became democratic.

Yep, but it is like i said in chit chat, this violent disorder shows the fraility of man...the need to protect yourself..that peace is seldom around long....forgetting lessons of history

only the dead have known the end of war as Plato said, some 2300 years ago....

markabilly
17th February 2011, 12:52
China has an appaling record on human rights, the USA runs an illegal detention centre, the UK was complicit in torturing prisoners, the list is endless. Not sure any of us should be chucking stones at other peoples' houses.

why not??

people confuse should as being could all the time.....and been doing it for 5000 or more years (chunking stones as they say down south)

Morning news says 4 dead already...and i think it may just be getting started...

markabilly
17th February 2011, 12:56
and 60 missing....reporter beaten ( I always love it when some reporter sticks his nose into it, in hopes of seeing someone else getting beaten, and gets it himself..ON VIDEO...)

My money says race is probably not gonna happen unless more head bashing and killing by police turn the country into a ghost town....

Dave B
17th February 2011, 12:57
Abu Dhabi are apparently ready and willing to host the test, and it wouldn't be a massive stretch to host some sort of race weekend there too. Whether or not you'd get any sort of crowd is another matter entirely...

Mark
17th February 2011, 13:00
For a test session, yes, going to Abu Dhabi makes sense. But a Grand Prix weekend is an entirely different proposition. I'd say it's probably already too late to move to a different venue. Either the race will go ahead as planned or it'll be cancelled outright.

Mark
17th February 2011, 13:03
BBC

The announcement on state television said the army had taken control of "key parts" of Manama.
The capital has been effectively shut down, with tanks, army patrols and military checkpoints on key streets and helicopters deployed overhead.

Barbed wire has been erected on roads leading to the main protest area, Pearl Square, and the interior ministry warned people to stay off the streets.
A ministry spokesman said: "The security forces have stressed that they will take every strict measure and deterrent necessary to preserve security and general order."

It does sound like the safety of fans and team personnel travelling to the grand prix cannot be guaranteed.

Dave B
17th February 2011, 14:12
Question. Do the F1 flights (not tourists) use the main airport, which is suffering disruption, or the air base next to the circuit? I'd assume the latter, which would at least simplify the logistics of holding the race in Bahrain as planned should the situation calm down a bit.

Edit: ignore me, I've answered my own question. They don't, but could.
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=269047

I am evil Homer
17th February 2011, 14:12
Abu Dhabi might be an alternative...or shift everything to Barcelona and announce a GP there rather than flying teams to Middle East?

Dave B
17th February 2011, 14:19
Abu Dhabi might be an alternative...or shift everything to Barcelona and announce a GP there rather than flying teams to Middle East?
The problem there is that there's already a load of freight on its way to the Gulf, then it's already booked on its onward journey to either Australia or Malaysia. Diverting it to Abu Dhabi wouldn't be beyond the wit of man, but bringing it all back to Europe only to then make the next leg longer would bring in all manner of complications.

BDunnell
17th February 2011, 14:45
Even if the unrest dies down, and putting completely to one side any criticisms of the circuit and Bahrain's lack of enthusiasm for the sport, how happy is everyone about F1 taking place in any country whose reaction to protests against the government is to ban protest?

Dave B
17th February 2011, 14:55
Even if the unrest dies down, and putting completely to one side any criticisms of the circuit and Bahrain's lack of enthusiasm for the sport, how happy is everyone about F1 taking place in any country whose reaction to protests against the government is to ban protest?
In all honesty, no more or less happy than I would be about holding a race in a county where the police kettle teenage students and charge them on horseback, or baton a newspaper seller for daring to walk near a protest on his way home. :s

Bagwan
17th February 2011, 15:26
Power to the people !

The entire middle east is fed up with the rest of the world messing with thier turf .
No surprise that big events are targetted .

All is not well , and more death will occur .
Mubarack was a domino .

Whether F1 goes there or not , this will undoubtedly bring far more attention to the issue than is comfortable for the king or the president .

Power to the people !
Sometimes I wish we Canadians had the passion to overthrow a government . In a way I am jealous .

And , I hope that for the sake of the people that the race is cancelled , as the sight of tanks in the streets can only be seen as a taunt by those protestors . The government has lost control .

Mark
17th February 2011, 15:28
Yep, when you have tanks in the streets, game over..

Lets have the race somewhere else.

Bagwan
17th February 2011, 15:53
Yep, when you have tanks in the streets, game over..

Lets have the race somewhere else.

No , it should just be cancelled . Perhaps another race could be added later to make up the numbers .

The only spot mooted is Abu Dabi , and that's still the middle east .
Who knows what jealousies that would stir .

Best , I think , is to have the season opener in Oz , like the good ol' days .
Then maybe , Bernie and the Oz government people will see fit to keep it , as the anticipation will have built much higher by the wait , and the profits might soar .

I'm just trying to look at the bright side , if there is one .

inimitablestoo
17th February 2011, 17:07
Might as well let the protestors in... it'd be the most people they've ever had at the circuit on a Grand Prix weekend...

Sonic
17th February 2011, 17:13
^^^^ if that wasn't sad it would be funny.

UltimateDanGTR
17th February 2011, 18:12
Well Bernie has given himself a whole week to consider what to do. I suggest moving the opener to Abu Dhabi, even if that meant the last and first races of two consecutive seasons were at the same track. Then they should just hold a replacement round that the Abu Dhabi GP would have had. (Argentina, Mexico or USA would be nice)

Shifter
17th February 2011, 18:41
The entire middle east is fed up with the rest of the world messing with thier turf .
No surprise that big events are targetted

While its true the West needs to just stay out of Middle-Eastern affairs (the Middle East sees all politic as a religious thing, which makes the situation very unstable), I'm not sure that's what these protests are about, really. Seems to me like just old-fashioned people's revolt.

DexDexter
17th February 2011, 19:11
Well Bernie has given himself a whole week to consider what to do. I suggest moving the opener to Abu Dhabi, even if that meant the last and first races of two consecutive seasons were at the same track. Then they should just hold a replacement round that the Abu Dhabi GP would have had. (Argentina, Mexico or USA would be nice)

Those countries do not currently have any circuits F1 could race on...what about racing in Imola or Estoril?

Tazio
17th February 2011, 19:53
Might as well let the protestors in... it'd be the most people they've ever had at the circuit on a Grand Prix weekend...

As long as they check their Molotov cocktails at the gate. ;)

Bagwan
17th February 2011, 21:20
While its true the West needs to just stay out of Middle-Eastern affairs (the Middle East sees all politic as a religious thing, which makes the situation very unstable), I'm not sure that's what these protests are about, really. Seems to me like just old-fashioned people's revolt.
Let the crude flow , and you get Formula 1 .

We're both right , Shifter .

steveaki13
17th February 2011, 22:52
This doesn't necessarily apply to Bahrain, but could a venue choose to cancel their opeing round and agree with those who matter on hosting the event at the end of a season.

Either for the situation in Bahrain or say a natural disaster.

Or would the event just be cancelled. I know it would be a lot of work, but if it was planned out with plenty of time in hand it could work.

Just a thought?

BeansBeansBeans
17th February 2011, 23:11
The sensible thing to do is to cancel. I doubt it'd be feasible to schedule a replacement event, but in a 20 race season, we won't miss one.

Ari
18th February 2011, 02:47

I have heard that most of the equipment is already in Bahrain or on its way there now.

I read elsewhere if the event is canceled there will be no other event put in its place and the circus will simply move to Melbourne for the opener.

Tazio
18th February 2011, 03:21
I have heard that most of the equipment is already in Bahrain or on its way there now.

I read elsewhere if the event is canceled there will be no other event put in its place and the circus will simply move to Melbourne for the opener.
I would think that most of their equipment is in Barcelona. :confused:
Or are you talking about the promoters, and sponsors gear? ;)

nigelred5
18th February 2011, 03:28
The teams send much of their equipment out sea freight. One of the articles quoted Bernie as saying itcwas sent out 30 days ago bound for Bahrain which would mean it should already be in port for the scheduled test. @

Tazio
18th February 2011, 03:39
The teams send much of their equipment out sea freight. One of the articles quoted Bernie as saying itcwas sent out 30 days ago bound for Bahrain which would mean it should already be in port for the scheduled test. @
Thanks for that, I found a link with documentation.

http://www.sportal.com.au/motorsport-news-display/f1-race-further-in-doubt-112225

Asked if the race could be moved elsewhere, Booth said: "Impractical. Our sea freight, like every other team's, left for Bahrain a month ago, and a lot of the equipment in the sea freight is vital of the running of the cars. So to run it somewhere else would be very difficult."

Mark
18th February 2011, 08:14
I would think that most of their equipment is in Barcelona. :confused:
Or are you talking about the promoters, and sponsors gear? ;)

The equipment you need for a race weekend is not all the same as that you'd need for a test session.

I can see the test at Bahrain being moved to a different track, possibly Barcelona since the teams are already there! But the chances of the race actually moving elsewhere are slim. You couldn't go to the likes of Estoril as it hasn't prepared itself for an F1 race and wouldn't be able to in the time. The only alternatives would be the likes of Barcelona again, but even if it were announced today, that's not enough time for them to make the necessary preparations.

The race will either go ahead, or we'll go on to Australia, and that's that :p

UltimateDanGTR
18th February 2011, 08:14
Those countries do not currently have any circuits F1 could race on...what about racing in Imola or Estoril?

I know, I'm dreaming...A quick upgrade from grade 2 to grade 1 for Potrero de los Funes would be nice :D

And the problem with my plan is holding a round in Europe that late in the season might not be practical, in between Asian races and Interlagos.

I am evil Homer
18th February 2011, 09:42
For those perhaps questioning why F1 shouldn't still go, quite aside from the 'safety' aspect should read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/opinion/18kristof.html?_r=2

Mark
18th February 2011, 09:47
For those perhaps questioning why F1 shouldn't still go, quite aside from the 'safety' aspect should read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/opinion/18kristof.html?_r=2

Quite so, thanks for the article. I for one hope the race is cancelled. Who in all conciousness can watch a sporting event knowing that it will support a government who engages in that kind of brutality. As you say, it's not just a question of the safety of the teams and spectators.

Bagwan
18th February 2011, 16:24
"Probably today if we had to make the decision on the information I've got, we wouldn't do that. But anyway it seems as if it's quiet, no big problems. I don't know if I was there or you were there we'd say there are problems, I've no idea. But that's what our people said. I'm more hopeful today than I was yesterday."

That was Bernie , in reference to the race already cancelled , GP2 .

This is complicated .
It sounds as if Bernie was warned it wasn't the place to be , and then warned that he shouldn't be saying as much .

Trouble in Yemen . Trouble in Lebanon . Iran is said to be moving ships towards the area . Military police said to be speaking with Saudi and Manilla accents in Bahrain .
"No big problems." .

Tanks and automatic gunfire are distracting , but does Bernie really think they will be drowned out by the sound of the engines ?

CLF66
18th February 2011, 16:42
Safety first - no race is guarenteed trouble free but keeping thousands of people away from a huge fight, where people have been killed already, is surely a no-brainer? Australia is our only hope for a positive start to the 2011 season.

UltimateDanGTR
18th February 2011, 17:10

great article, and in the same vein:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/18/bernie-ecclestone-must-cancel-the-bahrain-grand-prix/

Dave B
18th February 2011, 17:41
Let's just start in Australia. Bahrain is too unstable right now and it's impossible to predict what it'll be like in 2 weeks.

And keep everything crossed for a peaceful solution. Some things are more important than sport.

christophulus
18th February 2011, 22:31
great article, and in the same vein:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/18/bernie-ecclestone-must-cancel-the-bahrain-grand-prix/

I agree, I can't see how F1 can possibly turn up in Bahrain and act like everything's normal. It needs to be cancelled.

Roamy
18th February 2011, 23:00
It is a bust - Dump it and move on

truefan72
19th February 2011, 01:52
I think what is going on now in bahrein is way more important than the F1 circuit!

Even if the unrest ended tomorrow, it would still not be a good idea to go there this year.
first off, most sponsors would not want the bad PR or be seen as being insensitive to the scores of dead folks and the brutality of the government's actions.
Second, the stands will be half empty and the event an utter failure in light of the current situation.

I do hope they can find an alternate venue for the race, It would be nice to still keep the same number of races, and we have enough time and circuits to do that.

My first choice and probably easiest would be fuji. Close enough to Australia as well

ShiftingGears
19th February 2011, 02:00
I think what is going on now in bahrein is way more important than the F1 circuit!

Even if the unrest ended tomorrow, it would still not be a good idea to go there this year.
first off, most sponsors would not want the bad PR or be seen as being insensitive to the scores of dead folks and the brutality of the government's actions.
Second, the stands will be half empty and the event an utter failure in light of the current situation.

I do hope they can find an alternate venue for the race, It would be nice to still keep the same number of races, and we have enough time and circuits to do that.

My first choice and probably easiest would be fuji. Close enough to Australia as well

Everythings already shipped out to Bahrain. If it's cancelled, I wouldn't expect a replacement race. And if there is, I imagine it will be at some alternative venue much later in the year.

Roamy
19th February 2011, 02:01

Maybe the freaking pirates will get the sh!t on the way to AU :)

Roamy
19th February 2011, 02:03
hey how about south africa

steveaki13
19th February 2011, 07:26
How about holding a race at one of the spainish ciruits as they are being used for testing. After this final pre season test move the equipment to Jerez again for a race. :)

Failing that as they are all in Barcelona, just hold a race their in a couple of weeks.

Dave B
19th February 2011, 08:27
Foreign office now formally advising against travel:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/bahrain/

Similar advice from USA.

More: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/18/ukus ... o-bahrain/ (http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/18/ukus-governments-say-dont-go-to-bahrain/)

Game over. See you in Oz.

Mark
19th February 2011, 09:15
Looks like it doesn't it. Let's hope Bernie makes and announcement soon.

ShiftingGears
19th February 2011, 09:28
hey how about south africa

There's a butchered Kyalami Circuit there...thats about it. I'm almost certain it isn't up to F1 standard anyway.

steveaki13
19th February 2011, 10:14
Yep. Has too be cancelled now surely.

So we lose the first GP, but will they re arrange another test to replace Bahrain, as these teams don't get enough testing as it is, so losing 1 of 4 tests is a bigger deal in a way than a GP.

maxter
19th February 2011, 10:20
Yeah, it's not a very big loss with this year's huge calendar. Also, surely moving the race is a lot harder than just moving the pre-test. Maybe they can just remain in Barcelona for that before heading down under? For minimal inconvenience.

Tom206wrc
19th February 2011, 10:44

Imola is endurance racing round this year(ILMC) :p :

52Paddy
19th February 2011, 12:11
This is mad. Bernie should cancel this race but I'll be very interested to read his slant on things when an announcement is released.

N4D13
19th February 2011, 13:42
Some claim that if the Bahrain race is cancelled, they will have five pre-season tests instead of four. I believe that I read this in Joe Saward's blog.

Nikki Katz
19th February 2011, 14:21
The beeb just claimed that given the lull in hostility in the past few hours that this race is now likely to go ahead, as the race is beneficial for the country as a whole. I'm not so sure - only a couple of hours ago the foreign office advised against travel there, and the race is in just 3 weeks. Unless there's significant movement in the position in the next couple of days, I don't see how they can possibly promise a safe event.

Oh, and therefore congratulations to Bianchi for winning the world's shortest GP2 Asia title after two races...

djparky
19th February 2011, 15:51
cancel it- and never go back. leave aside the issues in the country for a moment. from a sport perspective it's another crap Tilke-bore-adrome, which produces rubbish races and in front of a few expats and some camels- it won't be missed if they never race there again. mind you they couldf just ban all spectators from the event- not that you'd notice anyway. As for 2 races at Yas Marina- please no- last year was a mind numbing bore-fest. one race at that track is too many

Kevincal
19th February 2011, 19:42
I would like to see F1 back at Indy... Was atleast better than BoreRain.

Mark
19th February 2011, 20:13
There is a precident for cancelling a race and going back later in the year.

In 1995 the Pacific Grand Prix at Aida was postponed because of the Kobe earthquake and it took place later in the year. And saw Schmacher crowned champion for the second year.

Of course that was a one off natural event, quite a different situation.

Sarah
19th February 2011, 21:30
Why are they not making a decision now - why wait a few more days only to say what we already guessed.

Sonic
19th February 2011, 22:44
There is a precident for cancelling a race and going back later in the year.

In 1995 the Pacific Grand Prix at Aida was postponed because of the Kobe earthquake and it took place later in the year. And saw Schmacher crowned champion for the second year.

Of course that was a one off natural event, quite a different situation.

God, I loved that track!I know it wasn't most peoples cup of tea but it was like a big go kart track and that '95 race was a hum dinger if memory serves.

As for Bahrain, we all know why the dwarf is holding off making a decision; money!

gloomyDAY
20th February 2011, 01:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnUQcKXmMM&feature=player_embedded&skipcontrinter=1

Kevincal
20th February 2011, 01:29
i honestly did not want to see that image, let alone video when i came to this thread...

Hawkmoon
20th February 2011, 03:25
As for Bahrain, we all know why the dwarf is holding off making a decision; money!

In light of the video posted by gloomyDAY, will Bernie still want to line his pockets? Or will the sponsors not want to be seen to be having a "party" while people are being gunned down in the streets and force Bernie to pull his circus out of the country?

Bernie's a greedy little gnome but is he really that greedy?

markabilly
20th February 2011, 04:43
what is the big deal? Ask bernie: There are no problems that a few tanks can not crush....and then clean up the rest with a few machine guns....

yes, Bernie will want to line his pockets, and it will cost him dearly if the race is cancelled.

there is the sanctioning fee, but that is small potatoes compared to TV revenue lost.
Indeed, no one at the track will make no difference to him as the Tv is what it is all about.

Money money money

Dave B
20th February 2011, 09:25
Andrew Benson: Bernie Ecclestone tells BBC Sport he will leave the call on the Bahrain Grand Prix to the Crown Prince: http://bbc.in/dJG2mH

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2011, 09:26
Over the years we have increasingly seen nations, or rather governments, wanting the "prestige" of hosting a GP. Some simply want to gain some reflected glory of hosting a sport that is watched by billions around the world, and F1 has been happy to play along because it all brings more money into FOM & CVC's pockets.

There's a flip side to every coin, and we're seeing it in Bahrain now.

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2011, 09:30
Formula 1's teams would like to see next month's season-opening Grand Prix in Bahrain cancelled in the wake of the bloody violence in the island kingdom but contractual commitments to F1 Management and sensitive partnerships with the region mean they will wait for F1's powers to make the decision for them.

The Bahrain Grand Prix is unlikely to go ahead as planned on March 13 and if it does at least one leading team will not be there. Most teams would refuse to go, on the basis that the safety of their staff could not be guaranteed. On top of that, they do not want the race to be hijacked by any group looking to make a political point.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9402866.stm

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said he will leave the decision on whether to hold the Bahrain Grand Prix to the country's Crown Prince.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9402871.stm

Mark
20th February 2011, 09:57
Bernie can't leave the decision to the person who is responsible for the opression. That's madness.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 10:34
Jake Humphrey (bbc anchor):

For those asking. Just because the race goes ahead doesn't mean the BBC have to be there. We'll make a call, and I know what mine will be...

Can't blame him.

steveaki13
20th February 2011, 10:42
This situation is stupid. How can Bernie or anyone else be thinking of holding this race ahead of the needs and wishes of Bahrains people. :confused:

If it is all down to money that they are still insisting the race should go ahead, surely they must realise they can't win as the teams may not turn up, the tv may not turn up and no fans turn up.

Which ever way it happens F1 loses, don't go and lose money, no major harm in the bigger picture, or go and basically show support to a government who turns its guns on its own people just because they want a fair society. :down:

If Bernie does the latter and allows F1 to return to Bahrain, he will have sunk to a new low.

Leave Bahrain alone to sort out their troubles and don't try and side with the money, do the decent thing.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 10:42
Bernie can't leave the decision to the person who is responsible for the opression. That's madness.

Exactly, bound to have massive vested interest. Bernie needs to grow a pair, cancel race and not hold teams to any financial penalty. Weak leadership which makes the whole sport look selfish and idiotic.

MAX_THRUST
20th February 2011, 10:46
Dictators, Oh yes that's bernie.

Seriously though this needds to be canceled now, and this also highlights the risk of going to countries like these for races.

Daika
20th February 2011, 10:48
Can't believe that Ecclestone is shifting HIS responsebilty to a prince that they (Bahrain) think is a dictator. Like giving my car keys to a thief.What if hell break out? Ecclestone line of defence is simply i didn't make the call, idiot.

Dave B
20th February 2011, 11:18
Excellent summary of the current situation from Adam Cooper:

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/20/ecclestone-crown-prince-will-tell-me-if-bahrain-is-safe/

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2011, 11:18
Interesting to see Alex Wurz's views -
bahrain turns in2 contractual matter! 1st party to cancel race would loose cash, so every1 waits 4 'force majeure' i guess

I'm sure every person involved, on a personal+ human point of view, would like to cancel the race, however, its never that easy i am afraid
http://twitter.com/alex_wurz

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2011, 15:55
This (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/forum/topic.php?id=1243#post-21287) is worth reading and watch this interview (http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/02/20/robertson.bahrain.amir.intv.cnn?hpt=C2) with the Crown Prince of Bahrain.

markabilly
20th February 2011, 16:28
Excellent summary of the current situation from Adam Cooper:

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/20/ecclestone-crown-prince-will-tell-me-if-bahrain-is-safe/

mac is owned 42 percent by bahrain???

well, the race must go on!!!!!!!!!

for sure mac will be there, unless the crown prince says otherwise about the race, which I doubt that he will, for that would be a massive admission of defeat and encourage the rebels even more.

If Mac is there, then the other teams will be as well.

Besides bahrain has so much money from its oil and related matters. The population can be placated with some new benefits/income and everyone will be happy. Well until the oil runs out...... If the oil runs out in 20 years or so, story will be different no doubt.

So my prediction is that the race should not go on, but because it could, it will.

N4D13
20th February 2011, 16:51
mac is owned 42 percent by bahrain???

well, the race must go on!!!!!!!!!

for sure mac will be there, unless the crown prince says otherwise about the race, which I doubt that he will, for that would be a massive admission of defeat and encourage the rebels even more.

If Mac is there, then the other teams will be as well.

Besides bahrain has so much money from its oil and related matters. The population can be placated with some new benefits/income and everyone will be happy. Well until the oil runs out...... If the oil runs out in 20 years or so, story will be different no doubt.

So my prediction is that the race should not go on, but because it could, it will.
Even taking into account all the economic implications of the race not being held, I truly expect and hope that the Bahrain Grand Prix is called off. I would be extremely disappointed if the Bahrain GP is held after all what's happened. It would also bring lots of shame on F1.

Imagine the following scenario: the Bahrain government is overthrown, and a democratic government is put on its place, which, after Egypt and Tunisia, is a possibility. How would Formula One be regarded if they are considered to have supported the current government during the uprising? I don't think that most Bahrainis would like a Bahrain GP to be held after that.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and I'm the kind of guy who speaks with his heart rather than with his head.

markabilly
20th February 2011, 17:04
Even taking into account all the economic implications of the race not being held, I truly expect and hope that the Bahrain Grand Prix is called off. I would be extremely disappointed if the Bahrain GP is held after all what's happened. It would also bring lots of shame on F1.

Imagine the following scenario: the Bahrain government is overthrown, and a democratic government is put on its place, which, after Egypt and Tunisia, is a possibility. How would Formula One be regarded if they are considered to have supported the current government during the uprising? I don't think that most Bahrainis would like a Bahrain GP to be held after that.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and I'm the kind of guy who speaks with his heart rather than with his head.
I do agree completely....unfortunately "reality of money " will control I think

and dumb me, I had no idea that mac was owned 42 percent................................
duh,

52Paddy
20th February 2011, 17:07
This (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/forum/topic.php?id=1243#post-21287) is worth reading and watch this interview (http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/02/20/robertson.bahrain.amir.intv.cnn?hpt=C2) with the Crown Prince of Bahrain.

Thanks for that link. It's so refreshing to read the perspective of an actual Bahraini. Tension is tension, and, although I expect the situation to diffuse soon, I'm not entirely convinced that running this race would be a bright idea. For sure, though, I judge this as another exaggeration of events by the media. What happened is an absolute tragedy, but some of the titles that the country and its Crown Prince have been given is, in my view, unfair. It's interesting to hear the Crown Prince's Northern Ireland comparison. The Troubles were an awfully tragic time in my country (luckily, I was not around for the worst of it) and I wouldn't like to see any other country demise into a similar situation. From the CNN interview, I believe that these are genuine hopes that the Crown Prince shares and that he cares for his nation. Here, it was a different ball game on both sides.

Anyway, hopefully the end result of this situation will be positive in whatever light.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 07:35
James Allen tweets:

#f1 Gulf news reporting that Bahrain GP will be postponed. Confirmation expected today. Maybe Nov 6th between India and A Dhabi or Nov 20?

Adam Cooper:

#F1 Regular meeting of FOTA's Sporting Regs Working Group (team managers) in Barcelona today will be chance to discuss Bahrain

#F1 People still suggesting Bahrain will be fitted in around Abu Dhabi at the end of year. Insane... But $$$ talks alas

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 09:00
Adam Cooper:

#F1 People still suggesting Bahrain will be fitted in around Abu Dhabi at the end of year. Insane... But $$$ talks alas

You get the feeling that, had there been a Chinese GP in 1989, the small matter of Tiananmen Square would merely have caused postponement rather than cancellation.

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 09:02
Thanks for that link. It's so refreshing to read the perspective of an actual Bahraini.

I'm sure that more than a few 'actual Libyans' will today be expressing the view that the unrest there is being exaggerated by the beastly foreign media, and that the Gadaffi regime is best left unchanged. I would rather side with those who are in favour of democracy and who choose something other than the predictable route of 'the media's to blame'.

Mark
21st February 2011, 09:08
Postponement is the best option for the moment. Yes, I know many would like to see the race scrapped completely but realistically Bernie / F1 can't do that while there is an opportunity to host the race later in the year. October / November is a long time off so lots will have changed by then.

Bezza
21st February 2011, 09:10
If this was anywhere other than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, it would have been cancelled by now. Postponement would also never have been an option, just CANCELLED.

They need to pull their finger out - cancel the race for 2011. It is the most boring track on the calendar anyway and a terrible place to start the season, as we saw last year.

Also, I am not liking the hyped up media - they talk about it affecting F1 as if they are enjoying it, scaremongering, why are they are always delighted to have a go at F1, despite it being the second most watched sport in the UK? It is mainly Sky, clearly they don't have any coverage - so any chance they get to take a dig they jump at.

F1 not being in Bahrain will actually improve things! 19 races is enough, losing the worst track on the calendar won't be an issue...!

Mark
21st February 2011, 09:26
#f1 Gulf news reporting that Bahrain GP will be postponed. Confirmation expected today. Maybe Nov 6th between India and A Dhabi or Nov 20?

Either of those dates will result in there being three race weekends in a row. I know teams at the moment struggle when there's two in a row, having equipment being shipped out to the second venue before the race weekend even starts at the first. But three? Feasible, but the teams won't like it!

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 09:27
Also, I am not liking the hyped up media - they talk about it affecting F1 as if they are enjoying it, scaremongering, why are they are always delighted to have a go at F1, despite it being the second most watched sport in the UK? It is mainly Sky, clearly they don't have any coverage - so any chance they get to take a dig they jump at.

I don't think it has anything to do with this, and more to do with the widely-held view that F1, this massively wealthy, plutocratic sport, is out of touch with reality.

pino
21st February 2011, 09:30
It is the most boring track on the calendar anyway and a terrible place to start the season, as we saw last year.

F1 not being in Bahrain will actually improve things! 19 races is enough, losing the worst track on the calendar won't be an issue...!

I totally agree :up:

I am evil Homer
21st February 2011, 10:02
It's funny how Bernie is more than happy to shoot his mouth off about scrapping Silverstone, or Canada when it suits him...then when a more serious siutation arises he passes the $.

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 10:03
there are rumours floating around in Bahrain (apparently) that the race will indeed be postponed until the end of the season. lets for god sake hope thats together with the Abu Dhabi round if it has to be run at all, instead of as the season finale....*

*I'm sorry to give you all such a horrible thought.

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 10:17
It's funny how Bernie is more than happy to shoot his mouth off about scrapping Silverstone, or Canada when it suits him...then when a more serious siutation arises he passes the $.

Absolutely. I increasingly think that, in terms of the wider public image of F1, Bernie is an extremely malign influence. The spectacle of this strange-looking old man making weird public pronouncements isn't the best for the sport.

Mark
21st February 2011, 10:19
Webber's view is about right, I paraphrase: There are more important things in F1 than Bahrain. There are more important things in Bahrain than F1.

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 10:23
Webber's view is about right, I paraphrase: There are more important things in F1 than Bahrain. There are more important things in Bahrain than F1.

Indeed. It's quite telling that, again, he is the only current driver to venture a meaningful comment. Good for him.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st February 2011, 13:52
There is a rather interesting take on the Bahrain situation at Pitpass.com. The Grand Prix, in fact, is one of the grievances of the protesting crowds. It is seen by some of them as an expensive hobby of the Crown Prince and the wealthy ruling elite.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 14:10
5LiveF1 tweet that it "seems the test in Bahrain" has been cancelled. No big surprise there. Nothing about the race itself, as yet.

More: (http://deck.ly/~ap4uW) "For those asking the source is a good one, but not confirming anything until I hear it from another source. FOTA decide on test venues from FIA list of venues"

I am evil Homer
21st February 2011, 14:13
Cancelling the test doesn't impact $$. Doing that to the GP would...hence the constant use of the phrase "postponed" to try and find a way to keep all parties happy.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 14:57
Christian Horner confirms FOTA meeting at 4pm to discuss Bahrain test, so it has not been cancelled yet.

I think we're all waiting for the inevitable...

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 15:39
There is a rather interesting take on the Bahrain situation at Pitpass.com. The Grand Prix, in fact, is one of the grievances of the protesting crowds. It is seen by some of them as an expensive hobby of the Crown Prince and the wealthy ruling elite.

that doesn't surprise me, and only reinforces the need to cancel the race.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 15:43
More speculation, but from a credible source:

Incredibly, because of the commercial implications Bernie Ecclestone is going to try to squeeze it into the schedule at the end of the year.

The only realistic option is on November 20, after Abu Dhabi – which means either there will be a bizarre triple header with Brazil, or Ecclestone will have to move Interlagos back to December 4. Bahrain cannot run in the gap between India and Abu Dhabi because new races have to be stand alone in their first year, because of question marks over how long it takes freight to get in and out.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/21/bahrain-gp-is-postponed/

An announcement re testing is expected at 4pm UK time, a further one tomorrow about the race.

Don Capps
21st February 2011, 15:46
I don't think it has anything to do with this, and more to do with the widely-held view that F1, this massively wealthy, plutocratic sport, is out of touch with reality.

The basic, fundamental problem of F1.

Period.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 15:52
BBC News reporting Grand Prix "cancelled".

And this:

AP [Associated Press] are reporting that the Bahrain GP has been canceled. Unsure as to if it will be moved to later in the year.

The race has been called off by the organisers due to political protests.

AndyL
21st February 2011, 16:02
From "The Official Twitter Channel for the Information Affairs Authority, Kingdom of Bahrain":

International Circuit announces Bahrain's withdrawal from first race in #F1 season.
HRH Crown Prince informed Formula One’s Bernie Ecclestone of the BIC’s decision by telephone earlier today.
HRH CP: We felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest.

(http://twitter.com/IAA_Bahrain)

Retro Formula 1
21st February 2011, 16:05
Well, that was a surprise.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:07
[quote=" @donriddellCNN"] Ecclestone &#8220]

Translation: we hope to be back soon, this race is worth a shedload of $$$ to us.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:17
@adamcooperf1 Full withdrawal statement from Bahrain GP organisers here: http://tinyurl.com/65huhoy

I am evil Homer
21st February 2011, 16:27
Common sense prevails....best thing is postpone and extened theirt contract by a year. Lets not try forcing it into the schedule later in the year. Presume test will be at Barcelona or Jerez now.

Dave B
21st February 2011, 16:36
Test confirmed for Barcelona, 8th - 11th March.

CLF66
21st February 2011, 16:47
i think the right decision has been made

steveaki13
21st February 2011, 16:52
Translation: we hope to be back soon, this race is worth a shedload of $$$ to us.

Yer im sure Bernie hopes Bahrain silence the trouble makers by any means soon and he can get his money and rich friends back in Bahrain asap.

But at least for now common sense prevails.

Mark
21st February 2011, 17:25
Finally. Although an extended off season pains me, Australia is a better start to the season.

donKey jote
21st February 2011, 17:32

bugger... I was hoping for a proper circuit like Algarve ;) :p

truefan72
21st February 2011, 17:34
I think Bernie's silence on the matter is that he still somhow got his money

Mark
21st February 2011, 18:29
Well he made a statement on BBC news saying it was the only possible outcome.

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 18:47
Result.

Now lets not go back there. ever.

Shifter
21st February 2011, 18:49
Result.

I came in here to make this exact post...so I'll quote and second it!

UltimateDanGTR
21st February 2011, 18:50

Great minds think alike I guess ;)

inimitablestoo
21st February 2011, 19:09
I decided to look back at recent years and work out when the season last started so late... turns out it was 2009, when Melbourne was round 1 on March 29, so that didn't take long...

Still talk of the race being rescheduled for later in the year, but I don't see it happening. The teams have complained about a 20-race schedule, so they won't protest about "only" 19.

gloomyDAY
21st February 2011, 19:26
Result.

I came in here to make this exact post...so I'll quote and second it!I'm on this bandwagon.

Bagwan
21st February 2011, 21:03
This is big , much bigger than F1 .
This was the Crown Prince's baby .
It isn't just a race . It's the first race of the year . It's the first we get to see the cars run in anger .
The family owns a meaty share of one of the sharp-end teams .

To have cancelled , the Prince has obviously understood he is charged with getting the country some order .
The initial reaction was brutal , and archaic .

He must now work hard to share some of the wealth of the nation with itself .
It is the only way to keep the people happy with thier leadership .

If they wish to show Bahrain as a country both to visit , and with which to do business , they will need these issues solved immediately .
Ruling with an iron fist doesn't work as well when everyone sees what is happening .

If they cure this with kindness , they deserve the GP back , in my opinion .
Mind you , the Crown Prince should be informed that the track could use some work .

The world is waiting to see the new Bahrain . We're just waiting for a race .

woody2goody
21st February 2011, 21:24
If this was anywhere other than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, it would have been cancelled by now. Postponement would also never have been an option, just CANCELLED.

They need to pull their finger out - cancel the race for 2011. It is the most boring track on the calendar anyway and a terrible place to start the season, as we saw last year.

Bahrain is far from boring when compared (in racing terms) to Hungary, Valencia, Monaco or even the Nurburgring, even though those are better tracks in terms of configuration.

In it's old layout, to my knowledge it never held a bad Grand Prix.

2010 was a shocker, but that was down to the changed layout.

woody2goody
21st February 2011, 21:26
I do however agree that because of the way the Bahraini authorities have treated their own people, F1 should never return there - it wouldn't be right to condone that kind of behaviour.

steveaki13
21st February 2011, 22:28
Result.

I'm on this bandwagon.

Looks like we are starting a petition.

Im with you all, we need to replace Bahrain, or simply have a few less races

nigelred5
21st February 2011, 23:08
Interesting that it was Bahrain that pulled out, not F1 that cancelled it.

CNR
21st February 2011, 23:31
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8338766/Bahrain-Grand-Prix-called-off-after-protests.html

With the world watching on, and in the face of mounting criticism that the decision was taking so long to reach as commercial and legal interests held sway, Bahrain’s rulers eventually informed Bernie Ecclestone on Monday afternoon that they did not consider the event appropriate following last week’s bloody violence and ongoing civil unrest.The question now is whether Ecclestone, the sport’s chief executive, will be able to find a date for them later in the year. Or whether the civilians of the island kingdom will be able to stomach it if he does.

http://www.todayonline.com/BreakingNews/EDC110222-0000058/Ferraris-Massa-fastest-in-F1-testing-at-Barcelona

The final testing session will also be staged at Catalunya Circuit, from March 8-11. It was originally scheduled to be held in Bahrain, but was canceled along with the season's first race because of the current political unrest in the Gulf state.

Tazio
21st February 2011, 23:49
Ba-bye! :wave:

markabilly
22nd February 2011, 01:07
paka

and as Webber said..... :dozey:

Koz
22nd February 2011, 02:47
Interesting that it was Bahrain that pulled out, not F1 that cancelled it.

I wouldn't look into it too deeply, this was them saving face. Bernie canceling the race would have been considered as insulting the rulers of Bahrain.

Valve Bounce
22nd February 2011, 05:09
Well, that was a surprise.

Yeah! who would have guessed? :confused:
I thought F1 cars were bullet proof :eek:

Ari
22nd February 2011, 05:28

Oh hell yes, I love Imola! Excepting 'the incident' of course.

Back on topic, the right thing has been done.... Bahrain were not ready for a GP and at best it's a run of the mill money-maker GP anyway.

Looks like I will now be in attendance for the season opener in the Melbournes!! :D

Mark
22nd February 2011, 08:18
I wonder if Bernie will now be asking Melbourne for the reported $15 million Bahrain were paying for the honour of hosting the first race of the season?!

SGWilko
22nd February 2011, 09:41
I wonder if Bernie will now be asking Melbourne for the reported $15 million Bahrain were paying for the honour of hosting the first race of the season?!

If he does, I sure hope the organisers suggest to Bernie that he shoves his GP up his ar5e........

.......sideways! ;)

MrJan
22nd February 2011, 10:11

This is great news. I just so happen to have booked a holiday to Barcelona between the 5th and 12th, looks like I'll now be able to see some F1 cars in action (which I've never had the privilege of, besides the FoS). Had a look online last night and seems that there are trains from the centre of the City every 30 minutes, then you can get a cab (with any luck) to the circuit. It's not an out and out F1 race but the chance to see cars at full chat is certainly worth the effort.

Dave B
22nd February 2011, 13:17
Before you get too excited, there are reports that the test might be moved to the weekend the Bahrain GP would have occupied.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/22/fota-could-move-barcelona-test-data-again/

:)

Dave B
22nd February 2011, 13:23
Breaking news: it's back on!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2yovhc3.jpg

:p

52Paddy
22nd February 2011, 14:12
Bahrain made the right decision here. I can hold off for another few weeks for the season opener if it means (which it does), we get to kick off at a fantastic track (i.e. Albert Park) with no political/moral repercussions :up:

Mark
22nd February 2011, 14:19
I think they should really have two tests. They should have the test session planned for Bahrain. And have another test session in pace of the Bahrain GP. After all teams had budgeted for running the race.

Dave B
22nd February 2011, 14:52
... And have another test session in pace of the Bahrain GP. After all teams had budgeted for running the race.
Don't forget though that Bahrain is merely "postponed" - officially at least. If it does go ahead at some point that budget will be needed.

billiaml
22nd February 2011, 18:03

Perfect! I suppose the grid girls will be wearing kevlar & camo? :P

MrJan
22nd February 2011, 18:38
Before you get too excited, there are reports that the test might be moved to the weekend the Bahrain GP would have occupied.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/22/fota-could-move-barcelona-test-data-again/

:)

Yeah I follow Adam Cooper on twitter. Thankfully I'm there until the Saturday night, so could go testing on the Friday.

Mysterious Rock
22nd February 2011, 21:45
Im putting money on 1st of May for Race to be moved too. You heard it here first!!!

steveaki13
22nd February 2011, 23:33

Fantastic

Good job

Garry Walker
24th February 2011, 21:48
Oh hell yes, I love Imola! Excepting 'the incident' of course.

What is there to love about Imola, it usually had the most boring races of all. I hope they never race again on that circuit.

Garry Walker
24th February 2011, 21:48

Schumi has taken the lead, a sign of things to come perhaps :D

pino
24th February 2011, 21:54
What is there to love about Imola, it usually had the most boring races of all. I hope they never race again on that circuit.

The pasta/pizza, the wine, the weather, the women...etc...

:p :

Garry Walker
24th February 2011, 21:57
The pasta/pizza, the wine, the weather, the women...etc...

:p :

I am not too big a fan of pastas or pizzas to be honest, a good steak is more my taste.

I hate wine, give me a good Brandy or Vodka

As for women there, I have no idea how pretty they were, so some picture evidence might sway my opinion in favour of Imola :D

donKey jote
24th February 2011, 23:21
go on pino, show us your sister again :p

blue92
25th February 2011, 05:59
Any bets that Abu Dhabi is off too this year? Has anyone ever notice that the track at Abu Dhabi from the air looks like an automatic weapon?

Mark
25th February 2011, 08:01
Im putting money on 1st of May for Race to be moved too. You heard it here first!!!

Can I translate this right? You're putting money on the race being moved to the 1st May? Nah, far too soon.

Mark
25th February 2011, 08:06
Any bets that Abu Dhabi is off too this year? Has anyone ever notice that the track at Abu Dhabi from the air looks like an automatic weapon?

Not mine. The protests in other countries are based around hardship for the general population and a lack of representation. UAE is not like that, it has a constitutional monarchy, while not fully democratic is much more representative than most, and is one of the richest countries in the gulf. There's no reason suspect there will be uprisings there too.

SGWilko
25th February 2011, 08:43
Not mine. The protests in other countries are based around hardship for the general population and a lack of representation. UAE is not like that, it has a constitutional monarchy, while not fully democratic is much more representative than most, and is one of the richest countries in the gulf. There's no reason suspect there will be uprisings there too.

What if they drink Nescafe.........? :laugh:

gloomyDAY
25th February 2011, 15:54
As for women there, I have no idea how pretty they were, so some picture evidence might sway my opinion in favour of Imola :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/Donoho25/bigjugs.jpg

Not too bad.

inimitablestoo
25th February 2011, 17:56
Apparently that woman on the right has a face :eek:

steveaki13
25th February 2011, 19:39
Apparently that woman on the right has a face :eek:

Really I didn't see it ;)

jens
1st March 2011, 07:36
One thing I liked about Bahrain GP that it created a feeling of Islamic culture, something that for instance Abu Dhabi and Istanbul do not. People may say that the location in the desert with sand everywhere is boring, but to me it made it more special. If F1 aims to have one race in the Arab World, it should be in the desert. :D More diversity and let's be content with the fact that it would never rain. :p :

Tazio
1st March 2011, 10:13
Not mine. The protests in other countries are based around hardship for the general population and a lack of representation. UAE is not like that, it has a constitutional monarchy, while not fully democratic is much more representative than most, and is one of the richest countries in the gulf. There's no reason suspect there will be uprisings there too.Riots in Kuala Lumpur, (in support of Egypt) were broken up with water cannons today.
Malaysia also has a federal constitutional monarchy, plus much better economic conditions (than Egypt), which is a good thing. That race is rapidly approaching. I really don't see this thing escalating as it is almost exclusively in support of Egypt, although it apears to be somethere i domestically directed decent

THE WAVE of unrest and public demonstrations that have spread across Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Yemen have had an impact on other parts of the Muslim world. The repercussions have been felt as far as Southeast Asia with Islamists and pro-democracy activists in Malaysia taking the opportunity to join in the chorus of dissent to express their support for the protesters in Egypt. In the process what began as an Arab concern has taken on local meanings in the Malaysian context

http://www.eurasiareview.com/analysis/anti-mubarak-protests-in-malaysia-how-arab-issues-travel-11022011/

Dave B
1st March 2011, 11:36
How hot is Bahrain in August? :eek:

We need a race in Bahrain. If the Crown Prince is of the opinion that his country is able to host a race we will return to Bahrain. I think the teams are sensible enough even to race in Bahrain in the summer break, and despite high temperatures, because this is the way we can support the country.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/3/11783.html

Rhetotical question, by the way. It says here (http://www.bahrainweather.com/BahClimatelog.aspx) that the daily average in August is 38C :cool:

Mark
1st March 2011, 11:39
38C is hot! And while it's tollerable for short periods, you won't want to be working and certainly not wearing fireproof overalls in that kind of heat.

Yes, the Bahraini's live through it but studies have shown that people who live in that sort of heat all the time have adapted to keep their internal temperature cool whereas your average European born F1 mechanic will not have!

Seriously, Bahrain in August would be about as silly as Britain in January..

SGWilko
1st March 2011, 11:46
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/Donoho25/bigjugs.jpg

Not too bad.

Attractive bicycle stand - like it! ;)

SGWilko
1st March 2011, 11:49
the fact that it would never rain. :p :

Hmmmm, it rained one year, in the Michelin tyre war infancy. Bibendum were tipped to clean up in the race, then the rain came down in the morning before the race and the track was green - strike one for the 'stones.

steveaki13
1st March 2011, 18:19
38C is hot! And while it's tollerable for short periods, you won't want to be working and certainly not wearing fireproof overalls in that kind of heat.

Yes, the Bahraini's live through it but studies have shown that people who live in that sort of heat all the time have adapted to keep their internal temperature cool whereas your average European born F1 mechanic will not have!

Seriously, Bahrain in August would be about as silly as Britain in January..

Yes, I mean 38oC is just the shade temperature I assume so in the sun in all those layers and doing that much work just think what the cockpit and body temperatures would reach.

ShiftingGears
3rd March 2011, 23:32
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89714

Attempting to get the race in as the last of the season. After Brazil.

If you thought having Bahrain as the season opener was bad....

steveaki13
4th March 2011, 07:42
Yes just what F1 needs two of the last 3 races to decide the world title in Bahrain and Abu Dabai. Two tracks which personally bore the pants off me. :s nore:

Tazio
4th March 2011, 08:42
Does any one agree with me at how absurd this problem is. Find a venue at least 5 weeks before the race. If half the teams show up than give one half points. If Bernie is really in control just do it. I'd like to see him really stand upfor what is in the best interest of the sport than his lame excuse as to why we have to come up with some conveluted reason why this season is compromised. Personally I would be perfectly happy if we ran two races at Sazuka on concecutive weekends if that is what it comes to. At least they are running on a legitimate race track. :mad:

Mark
4th March 2011, 08:52
That's all we need! I can just see it now, the F1 World Championship goes down to the wire in the final race in Bahrain, but no, there's unrest and it's cancelled again. So the F1 world champion is declared by press release :rolleyes:

SGWilko
4th March 2011, 10:31
That's all we need! I can just see it now, the F1 World Championship goes down to the wire in the final race in Bahrain, but no, there's unrest and it's cancelled again. So the F1 world champion is declared by press release :rolleyes:

That's a very real possibility sadly.

Dave B
8th March 2011, 16:21
Bahrain has been given until May 1st to decide whether it can host a race this season - although there's every chance there could still be unrest for the next few months.

More here: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/03/08/fia-postpones-bahrain-gp-deadline-to-may-1/

555-04Q2
10th March 2011, 05:26
So when does the season actually officially start now? At OZ?

Tazio
10th March 2011, 06:02
Australia is now the first round of this season’s world championship.

555-04Q2
10th March 2011, 14:25
:up: :)

Mark
13th March 2011, 09:53
Start of the F1 season today! Except it's not!

ShiftingGears
13th March 2011, 10:38
This could be the last time that the season opener is held in Australia for quite some time, considering that the contract is likely not to be renewed after 2015, and the Bahrain Grand Prix will most probably be back as the season opener next year.

Shame.

Mark
13th March 2011, 13:23
Indeed. Which is a shame. Since 1996 it has established itself as the traditional opening round. Bahrain just isn't the same, not even close.

Dave B
13th March 2011, 13:39
Start of the F1 season today! Except it's not!

Watching the '09 race on DVD :p

Tazio
13th March 2011, 14:07
Indeed. Which is a shame. Since 1996 it has established itself as the traditional opening round.

I totally agree. Tradition is the author of legitimacy. It's absurd that one man can completely disregard it. F1 is lessened by the absence of continuity. It's not ruined, but it has been diminished by constantly changing regulations. I don't have a problem with the normal evolution of the rules. But we have been lied to, and, and played the fools by a man that has perverted the competition in the "so called" interest of the show. JMHFO

Bagwan
13th March 2011, 15:08
Read a ticker on one of the news channels on TV today , the original day the race was to be held , and it said that there were rubber bullets and tear gas used in the capital today .

I guess that sorta shows that they were right to cancel .

Dave B
13th March 2011, 16:09
Read a ticker on one of the news channels on TV today , the original day the race was to be held , and it said that there were rubber bullets and tear gas used in the capital today .

I guess that sorta shows that they were right to cancel .

Indeed. This from Adam Cooper:

#F1 A CNN pic of the main highway to Bahrain Circuit today on what should have been race morning... http://tinyurl.com/6xftusx

Mark
13th March 2011, 16:25
Interesting. We aren't hearing anything from Bahrain at the moment due to the situation in Japan.

MrJan
13th March 2011, 16:40
There's so much s**t going on in the world at the minute that it's hard for the news to know what to concentrate on.

Mark
13th March 2011, 17:03
Yep. It's all kicking off!

Tazio
13th March 2011, 18:16
It's a freakin' media orgy!

Mark
14th March 2011, 17:29
Things are escalating in Bahrain with Saudi Arabia sending 1,000 troops there. The UAE (home of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) is also sending police.

steveaki13
14th March 2011, 17:46
I think F1 needs to think very carefully about whether it is right or worth returning to Bahrain or UAE this year.

With the trouble getting worse and Libya being an example of a likely long drawn out battle. I think F1 needs to give the middle east a miss for at least 2011.

And from a personal point of view a couple of decades. Unless they build better circuits.

Bagwan
15th March 2011, 14:40
It's over for Bahrain this year for sure now .
“The nation’s armed forces chief has been authorised to take all measures to ‘protect the safety of the country and its citizens’ "

They spoke of reform , and calmed the waters .

Then , they were spoken to by thier neighbours , the Saudis , and others about this reform spreading .
Now , they have 1000 Saudi troops , and a three month state of disaster declared by the king .

It's maybe over forever for a Bahrain race .

Roamy
15th March 2011, 15:19
Never run a f1 race in a country where men wear hotel linen for clothes :)

yodasarmpit
16th March 2011, 00:22
Following the most recent news, Bahrain should never see an F1 car on it's land again.

I am evil Homer
16th March 2011, 10:48
3 month state of emergency announced so the chances of a May GP are slim to none. Teams could get out of it with the "out insurers won't cover us" line.

Dave B
16th March 2011, 13:05
Security forces with tanks have overrun a square in the centre of Bahrain's capital Manama where anti-government protesters have been camped for weeks.

At least three died after police fired on mainly Shia protesters, reports say. Officials said three police died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12755852

It was right not to have a GP last week, it will be right not to have a GP this year.

Dave B
16th March 2011, 13:05
3 month state of emergency announced so the chances of a May GP are slim to none. Teams could get out of it with the "out insurers won't cover us" line.

The plan wasn't for a May GP, just that May 1st is the deadline for re-arranging the race for later this year :)

Bagwan
16th March 2011, 14:18
Bernie and the FIA will respect the deadline of May 1st , but given that the place is under marshall law , with troops in the streets , and curfewed citizens being treated at troop surrounded hospitals , it's essentially a done deal .
May 1st falls in the center of that three month state of emergency .

I read six dead today .

It is only a matter of time until Abu Dhabi is involved , if only due to proximity .
They will be sweating heavily right now , and not because of the heat .

Snipers are hard to hide because of all the different camera angles , even if you do have enough money to electronically airbrush the warships easily out of the background .

steveaki13
16th March 2011, 23:08
This is now a country that gets foreign weapons in from a supportive neighbour and then turns them on its own people just to retain its grip on power.

Awful F1 should never return until the people of Bahrain get what they want. Freedom

V12
17th March 2011, 16:50
I'd normally be elated that we weren't going there, although obviously the reasons themselves behind the cancellation mean I'm not.

Still, the loss of the Bahrain GP is no loss to F1 and neither would the Abu Dhabi race if things kicked off there.

The thing is - are there any other "emerging markets" left for Bernie to exploit... sorry, I mean hold a race? I can't see him wanting to downsize the calendar or hold any more races in that dirty horrible motorsport backwater...Europe I think it's called?

Garry Walker
17th March 2011, 19:31
I'd normally be elated that we weren't going there, although obviously the reasons themselves behind the cancellation mean I'm not.

Still, the loss of the Bahrain GP is no loss to F1 and neither would the Abu Dhabi race if things kicked off there.

The thing is - are there any other "emerging markets" left for Bernie to exploit... sorry, I mean hold a race? I can't see him wanting to downsize the calendar or hold any more races in that dirty horrible motorsport backwater...Europe I think it's called?

Yeah, F*** europe. We need to expand to stable and developed countries in Africa and Asia. That will be successful

Malbec
23rd March 2011, 00:17

Abu Dhabi is completely stable.

I'd be more worried about eastern Saudi Arabia kicking off. That would threaten both Abu Dhabi and Bahrain as well as having wider economic implications that would hit F1 hard. There are signs thats already happening.

I don't think the issue is whether Bahrain should get a GP in 2011, I think its whether Bernie should honour the multiseason contract he has left with them. The way they have handled the demonstrations is appalling and the same family owns and runs the GP circuit.

Dave B
23rd March 2011, 09:32
I don't think the issue is whether Bahrain should get a GP in 2011, I think its whether Bernie should honour the multiseason contract he has left with them. The way they have handled the demonstrations is appalling and the same family owns and runs the GP circuit.
Bernie's view has always been that F1 doesn't "do" politics. If it's safe to race and the fee has been paid, then we go racing - that's his attitude.

Unless there's a mass revolt from the teams, which is unlikely, then Bahrain will back on the calendar as soon as the situation has calmed down.

pino
23rd March 2011, 09:41
Yeah, F*** europe. We need to expand to stable and developed countries in Africa and Asia. That will be successful

And where's the sarcastic smile ? ;)

Retro Formula 1
23rd March 2011, 10:06

With Garry, I don't think you need one :D

(Mind you, he's right though ;) )

Garry Walker
23rd March 2011, 20:50

Who says I was being sarcastic :D ?

52Paddy
28th March 2011, 15:11
Unless there's a mass revolt from the teams, which is unlikely, then Bahrain will back on the calendar as soon as the situation has calmed down.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a revolt if the teams still felt it unsafe or unnecessary to race there. Didn't something similar happen in South Africa 1982?

steveaki13
28th March 2011, 18:12
I am not sure the situation will calm down for a while, depends on if and how the required action is taken.

inimitablestoo
28th March 2011, 19:33
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a revolt if the teams still felt it unsafe or unnecessary to race there. Didn't something similar happen in South Africa 1982?
Not exactly; that was a driver-led issue to do with superlicence/contract issues and nothing to do with the race itself. Kyalami was the first race, so it just happened to be where they were when it all flared up. However, the French Government did put pressure on Ligier and Renault to withdraw from the 1985 event (which they did) for political reasons, and that would be the last South African event until 1992.

Dave B
28th April 2011, 16:21
As the May 1st deadline looms Bernie says Bahrain should be given more time as "things can change in a couple of weeks", while the FIA insist that the deadline stands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13224497.stm

Mark
28th April 2011, 17:33
There's no sign of the middle east in general settling down from it's current issues.

Sonic
28th April 2011, 17:56
There's no sign of the middle east in general settling down from it's current issues.

Indeed. If Bernard thinks the situation is going to dramatically improve in "a couple of weeks" he's loosing the plot.

call_me_andrew
29th April 2011, 03:32

There's lots of signs. An Earthquake has all the tree huggers freaking out about nuclear power in Japan. Prince William is getting married. Even the BBC doesn't care about Bahrain now.

djparky
29th April 2011, 20:17
Bernie will hang on as long as he can with it- leaving aside the politics- from a purely motor racing perspective I wouldn't miss it one bit- it's another dull Tilke creation- utterly soulles like almost all of his tracks are. There are better places to finish the F1 season other than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi

BDunnell
30th April 2011, 00:37
Even the BBC doesn't care about Bahrain now.

Based on what evidence? It is still being reported on. The fact of other stories assuming temporary prominence in no way means that the Middle East is calming down.

call_me_andrew
30th April 2011, 05:30
I base this on the fact that Bahrain is currently not listed in the headlines at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/middle_east/

There are headlines for Lybia, Syria, Morocco, Egypt, Israel/Gaza, Iraq, and Yemen, but no mention of Bahrain.

BDunnell
30th April 2011, 10:45
I base this on the fact that Bahrain is currently not listed in the headlines at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/middle_east/

There are headlines for Lybia, Syria, Morocco, Egypt, Israel/Gaza, Iraq, and Yemen, but no mention of Bahrain.

So that means the crisis there is at an end, does it? I'm not sure it quite works like that.

Malbec
30th April 2011, 11:12

I wouldn't really go with the BBC for real news, its become a bit of a tabloid news site.

At the moment Bahrain is occupied by Saudi troops invited in by the Bahraini government. They are rounding up any opposition and employing torture (as they always have done) and are about to execute at least 4 dissidents. Any demonstrations are being put down with lethal force.

Any medical staff treating demonstrators are arrested and treated as if they were opposition. Any opposition found in hospitals receiving medical treatment are arrested and carted away.

Whilst the BBC may not rate this as headline news as the situation has remained 'stable' for a couple of weeks now the fact is that Bahrain is not stable or getting quieter. The regime there has also shown itself as being one that F1 sponsors or anyone with a set of morals is simply not going to want to be seen doing business with.

I think the question is whether Bahrain will ever return to the calendar. Given that it has many competitors in the region like Qatar that would die for and pay a lot for hosting a race I don't rate Bahrain's chances highly.

Somebody
1st May 2011, 19:39

Try this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/bahrain

ShiftingGears
2nd May 2011, 13:44
It seems that a rescheduling of the race for later this year isnt quite off the table yet...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91078

Dave B
2nd May 2011, 20:28
The "deadline" is now 3rd June, and presumably if that passes the trillionaire total family will be granted yet another extension.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/fia-gives-bahrain-leeway/

Dave B
2nd May 2011, 22:25
Royal, not total, stupid predictive...

Mark
3rd May 2011, 13:43
Give it up! Cancel the race!

Nikki Katz
7th May 2011, 13:18
Bahrain has announced it's now safe to hold the race there this season!!!!

Please Bernie, don't do it, no matter how much you're being paid by this, this is just going to cause a huge rift, numerous teams boycotting and serious safety concerns (as well as implicitly supporting the government's actions in the first place).

52Paddy
7th May 2011, 14:29
Please Bernie, don't do it, no matter how much you're being paid by this, this is just going to cause a huge rift, numerous teams boycotting and serious safety concerns (as well as implicitly supporting the government's actions in the first place).

I know Bernie is a ruthless bstrd but if he lets this race go ahead, he has reached a new low.